• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Ezalc said:
Did you see what he was doing? That was clearly flight. I understand that, but they haven't shown them flying so until they do so I'll just think that they can't. Because honestly if Ace could fly what's the point of using a boat, he'd be faster in the air. I know that launching yourself isn't really flying per se, since Luffy can launch himself using the gum gum rocket, something he should have done to reach Ace but hasn't because common sense clearly doesn't belong in anime/manga. But if speaking to what I said about water then they would be able to fly using water, they just need to keep shooting high pressure streams below them.
If Ace wasn't using a boat, he'd get tired eventually and fall into the ocean. Or just fall asleep spontaneously and fall into the ocean.

Ezalc

EmCeeGramr said:
If Ace wasn't using a boat, he'd get tired eventually and fall into the ocean. Or just fall asleep spontaneously and fall into the ocean.

True enough. Still with flying he'd be going faster than if he was on a boat so I think he'd be able to reach wherever he's going faster. But it's true that he randomly falls asleep so I guess there's that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ezalc said:
Did you see what he was doing? That was clearly flight. I understand that, but they haven't shown them flying so until they do so I'll just think that they can't. Because honestly if Ace could fly what's the point of using a boat, he'd be faster in the air. I know that launching yourself isn't really flying per se, since Luffy can launch himself using the gum gum rocket, something he should have done to reach Ace but hasn't because common sense clearly doesn't belong in anime/manga. But if speaking to what I said about water then they would be able to fly using water, they just need to keep shooting high pressure streams below them.
Well, to be fair, Smoker's insane flight ability in this episode is pretty much an anime-only addition. In fact, nothing in the manga has really shown a similar excellence in flight outside of possibly Kizaru and that one Skypeian fight between the Old God man & his phoenix-horse vs String dude.

Also, eventually Luffy and another character will try what you suggest to get to Ace quickly and... lets just say it doesn't work so well.

Ezalc

grandjedi6 said:
Well, to be fair, Smoker's insane flight ability in this episode is pretty much an anime-only addition. In fact, nothing in the manga has really shown a similar excellence in flight outside of possibly Kizaru and that one Skypeian fight between the Old God man & his phoenix-horse vs String dude.

Also, eventually Luffy and another character will try what you suggest to get to Ace quickly and... lets just say it doesn't work so well.

Oh no I already know what happens in the manga, my question is why he didn't do that in the first place. Saving Ace shouldn't have been as big of a problem as they make it out to be.

Kizaru doesn't really fly, to me it's more like he teleports since he's moving at the speed of light.

grandjedi6

Ezalc said:
Oh no I already know what happens in the manga, my question is why he didn't do that in the first place. Saving Ace shouldn't have been as big of a problem as they make it out to be.

Kizaru doesn't really fly, to me it's more like he teleports since he's moving at the speed of light.
You answered your own question? :lol

Ezalc said:

EDIT ...........

Ezalc

grandjedi6 said:
You answered your own question? :lol

I'm pretty sure there are other people who can at least stall Kizaru so that he wouldn't notice Luffy. Plus with a battlefield that big and chaotic even if he moves at the speed of I don't think his brain is actually able to process everything and everyone's actions on it at that same speed. Then again, Luffy is a loud, obnoxious, blockhead incapable of almost any sort of strategy and this is an anime so it's pretty much moot point.

Anth0ny

grandjedi6 said:
I don't know; Did Piccolo ever make so many grunts, "ughh", & "Keehhh" sound effects?

I think that's why I'm not so annoyed by it. That "KCCCHHHKKCKCKK" shit was non-stop in DBZ, and considering Ace is voiced by Piccolo, I'm not surprised to hear the same type of thing.

But I sure wish they toned down the OYAJIs and RUFFYs ._.

As for this episode, more great animation, especially during Luffy vs. Smoker. Awesome stuff.

Griffith

Banned
Ezalc said:
I'm pretty sure there are other people who can at least stall Kizaru so that he wouldn't notice Luffy. Plus with a battlefield that big and chaotic even if he moves at the speed of I don't think his brain is actually able to process everything and everyone's actions on it at that same speed. Then again, Luffy is a loud, obnoxious, blockhead incapable of almost any sort of strategy and this is an anime so it's pretty much moot point.
Even if Kizaru was dealt with, there is still Akainu and Aokiji, the Vice Admirals, roughly 100 000 marines and Sengoku himself to get past. There's no way Luffy would be able to get to Ace without having a lot to deal with.

Ezalc

Griffith said:
Even if Kizaru was dealt with, there is still Akainu and Aokiji, the Vice Admirals, roughly 100 000 marines and Sengoku himself to get past. There's no way Luffy would be able to get to Ace without having a lot to deal with.

That's true enough, though there are people capable of dealing with the admirals. The marines honestly don't mean much, if something should have been established by One Piece by this arc is that marine foot soldiers can't do anything in an actual fight, overwhelming numbers or not. Unless they actually have some kind of power or are higher up in the chain of command there is no way they would be able to stop somebody like Luffy no matter how much they outnumber him. Sengoku is understandable, I know that the only one who'd even have a chance of dealing with him is Whitebeard, but at least Luffy would have been able to make it to the platform before getting his rubbery ass beat the living crap out of by the Fleet Admiral.

EDIT: As for the Vice Admirals I guess if more than one of them came at Luffy at once he'd have trouble but I think he'd be able to take one of them in a one on one fight. Not that it'd happen in a war like that but just saying.

EDIT2: Unless that Vice Admiral is Garp.

upandaway

Smoker fight (including Hancock)++ Moria fight wasn't that bad (I dig the fuck out of Jinbei's attacks, always did, even if Moria's side was terrible)

Kinda weird that it ended with the Kuma thing (was it like that in the manga too? well, doesn't really matter) because as far as I remember
nothing was ever explained beyond that

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ezalc said:
I find it strange that Smoker has the ability to fly, while somebody like ace who's fire couldn't.
Who said somebody like Ace couldn't?

In Arabasta Ace jumped over 5 full-sized ships (and was ignited to do it), and then he had an aerial battle with Smoker. Wait, actually, I think that was the other way around. The fight with Smoker came first.

I mean, I know that was a long time ago, but these things did actually happen. :lol

And yes, this episode ended exactly where the corresponding chapter did.

Ezalc

MetatronM said:
Who said somebody like Ace couldn't?

In Arabasta Ace jumped over 5 full-sized ships (and was ignited to do it), and then he had an aerial battle with Smoker. Wait, actually, I think that was the other way around. The fight with Smoker came first.

I mean, I know that was a long time ago, but these things did actually happen. :lol

And yes, this episode ended exactly where the corresponding chapter did.

I remember the Alabasta ship thing but I don't remember this one about him and smoker fighting is there a link to it?

One thing about One Piece I actually like is how creative they get with the powers. Luffy's especially. The fact that they didn't make him into a Mr. Fantastic/Elastigirl kind of power is awesome.

Ezalc said:
That's true enough, though there are people capable of dealing with the admirals. The marines honestly don't mean much, if something should have been established by One Piece by this arc is that marine foot soldiers can't do anything in an actual fight, overwhelming numbers or not. Unless they actually have some kind of power or are higher up in the chain of command there is no way they would be able to stop somebody like Luffy no matter how much they outnumber him. Sengoku is understandable, I know that the only one who'd even have a chance of dealing with him is Whitebeard, but at least Luffy would have been able to make it to the platform before getting his rubbery ass beat the living crap out of by the Fleet Admiral.

EDIT: As for the Vice Admirals I guess if more than one of them came at Luffy at once he'd have trouble but I think he'd be able to take one of them in a one on one fight. Not that it'd happen in a war like that but just saying.

EDIT2: Unless that Vice Admiral is Garp.

EDIT forget is the anime thread.
Ezalc should edit my post you quote for me.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ezalc said:
I remember the Alabasta ship thing but I don't remember this one about him and smoker fighting is there a link to it?
Easier to just cap.

15xl9q0.jpg

They keep flying up from there too. :D

Here, you can watch the Ace vs. Smoker fight in German. A special experience all by itself. :lol

Ezalc

gundamkyoukai said:
Now way can luffy take on a VA alone now that we know all of them know how to use haki.
If marco could not get to ace how could a half dead luffy even try .
Then there's hardly anyone who could stop the admirals since they would have to know haki and as we saw Akainu don't even care when they do .

Well if they didn't use a full frontal assault I'm pretty sure they'd be able to. Plus you know, if Whitebeard had a better fighting capability they would have been able to rescue him. As far as I know Whitebeard didn't really do much since I guess his age and condition doesn't allow him to move and fight like most other characters do. I'm probably wrong about that though.

I'm pretty sure Luffy would be able to take on at least one of the VA's. As for the Admirals like I said the whitebeard pirates would distract them, the pirates being the Commanders and other more powerful members.

Thanks for the pic I had forgotten about that fight, still weird that Ace doesn't seem to use that ability as much as he could though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
gundamkyoukai said:
That was filler did not happen in the manga.
So was Smoker flying around and shit in this week's episode. Which is what we were talking about in the first place.

It all comes full circle. :lol

Ezalc

Regardless of all that I think we can all agree that Smoker was kicking ass and that thrust to Luffy's throat must of hurt like a bitch.

Ezalc said:
Regardless of all that I think we can all agree that Smoker was kicking ass and that thrust to Luffy's throat must of hurt like a bitch.

It should have killed him. The kairoseki made him lose his powers and yet the jutte didn't even scratch him. :|

akachan ningen said:
It should have killed him. The kairoseki made him lose his powers and yet the jutte didn't even scratch him. :|

What , these guy get hit and cut all over with super attacks and you expect a flat tip weapon to kill someone.
It's not like luffy body is weak without his DF power , plus people like luffy don't fully lose there power with that amount of kairoseki they just get weak.
His whole body was in sea water before and he was still rubber .

Neo C.

grandjedi6 said:
I don't know; Did Piccolo ever make so many grunts, "ughh", & "Keehhh" sound effects?
The poor VA, doing teeth grinding so often must be boring.:lol

Hancock is fun to watch.

Anth0ny

Don't want to post the link since it may contain spoilers, but I may or may not have booked Movie 11 :lol

Sounds like they're going to announce it in the next issue of Jump (with the new chapter!). According to 2Ch sources (so nothing's confirmed), it will be a retelling of Marineford, in 3D (ugh).

I really hope it's true.

upandaway

Anth0ny said:
Don't want to post the link since it may contain spoilers, but I may or may not have booked Movie 11 :lol

Sounds like they're going to announce it in the next issue of Jump (with the new chapter!). According to 2Ch sources (so nothing's confirmed), it will be a retelling of Marineford, in 3D (ugh).

I really hope it's true.
3D? How would that work?

You mean the glasses right? Not CGI

upandaway

Cuu said:
Who cares? If they make it in 3d, I'll watch it in a 2d. We all win as long as they make it!
Yeah there's no problem if it's just the effect.

Now let's just hope it's true because it's really easy for someone to make up such a thing.

Griffith

Banned
Details from the new issue of Jump about the movie. It's a 3D CGI movie that will be an "original story revolving around the strawhat" and it will be released March 19, 2011.

grandjedi6

Griffith said:
Details from the new issue of Jump about the movie. It's a 3D CGI movie that will be an "original story revolving around the strawhat" and it will be released March 19, 2011.
Ugggh, I knew no good could come from Toei starting a CGI division in order to appeal to western markets.

Top Bottom