• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Anth0ny

NomarTyme said:
When Luffy use his haki.

But it was never confirmed that he was using haki in that instance. In fact, I thought everyone agreed that it was just him demonstrating that he had a... brain.

"If I stretch my arm and attack, maybe, just maybe, the greatest swordsman in the world will cut it off"

Steroyd

Anth0ny said:
But it was never confirmed that he was using haki in that instance. In fact, I thought everyone agreed that it was just him demonstrating that he had a... brain.

"If I stretch my arm and attack, maybe, just maybe, the greatest swordsman in the world will cut it off"

The biggest argument against that was why did we/he see his arms get chopped off in advance? If it was Luffy using his brain that premonition was unneccesary.

Ferga

Anth0ny said:
Seriously. Oda sent Toei the greatest arc possible for spreading the gap between the show and the manga without having to stretch manga scenes out. We have NAMED

-admirals
-vice admirals
-Other marines (Smoker, Tashigi, Coby, Helmeppo)
-Whitebeard pirates
-Whitebeard pirate allies
-Seven Warlords
-Luffy's allies (Ivankov, Crocodile, Mr.1)
-ANYONE BUT FUCKING BUGGY AND MR.3 OVER AND OVER AND OVER

Why not develop some of these characters a little further? Oda's world is so fucking ripe with characters, Toei is retarded for not doing anything with them.

Anime sucks besides a few awesome scenes, like the ones upandaway linked above. If you haven't read the manga yet, don't wait any longer. Do it for your own good.

Can't agree with you more. They could at least fill the 20minutes of show time with prolonged battles that looked awesome in the manga instead of 10minutes of pans and out of the blue witty dialogue that has no relevance to the story

Yeah, would love some filler with different characters. Buggy and 3 were awesome characters and the anime is ruining them. It's a shame they have to put out episodes weekly. It would be nice if they could just do One Piece in seasons. I guess I just don't get the Japanese anime industry.

upandaway said:
The general consensus is that the G8 filler (immediately following Skypiea) is awesome.

Rather than fillers though, I'd be concerned with watching all the great moments of the manga animated.

It hurts at how good that animation is compared to what we have these days. I would do almost anything to go back to the fun look Enies and below had. Luffy vs Blueno is so good. Thriller Bark and above's muted colors kill me. :(

NomarTyme

Anth0ny said:

I wasn't talking about that part....

Doc Holliday said:
really? That's a bit of a stretch, no pun intended. Luffy just thought of what would happen if he tried to fight Mihawk. No way he used Haki. How the else would they show this and still be funny as hell.
I talking about the upcoming scene where they about to cut off Ace head.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
NomarTyme said:
Talking about luffys!

When Luffy use his haki.

really? That's a bit of a stretch, no pun intended. Luffy just thought of what would happen if he tried to fight Mihawk. No way he used Haki. How the else would they show this and still be funny as hell.

Doc Holliday

NomarTyme said:
I wasn't talking about that part....

I talking about the upcoming scene where they about to cut off Ace head.

Which part are you referring to? I'm confused :/
:lol

Ok I get it, watch the spoilers btw :D

Doc Holliday said:
No, that was definitely Haki.

El Sloth

Banned
Doc Holliday said:

Think back to Luffy's fight with the Snake Sisters. They were predicting his moves with Haki. 'Course this could just be a case of good 'ol instinct kicking in, but I'm more inclined to agree with the people who argue that it was a case of Luffy unconsciously using haki.

El Sloth said:
Why can't they do more stuff like this rather than rely on Foxy as a filler crutch?

Yeah, I wonder who came up with G8? Really feels like an actual arc that Oda would come up with had Enies Lobby not been right around the corner.

VGChampion said:
Yeah, I wonder who came up with G8? Really feels like an actual arc that Oda would come up with had Enies Lobby not been right around the corner.
When watching through the first time i had no idea it was filler, until i was telling on eof my friend how awesome it was and he was like what i skipped that because it was filler...sad sad fellow he is.

Doc Holliday

El Sloth said:
Think back to Luffy's fight with the Snake Sisters. They were predicting his moves with Haki. 'Course this could just be a case of good 'ol instinct kicking in, but I'm more inclined to agree with the people who argue that it was a case of Luffy unconsciously using haki.

I don't think it takes Haki for luffy to realize that trying to fight mihawk would be a very idea. He's shown to be a pretty smart fighter throughout the series. We didn't see anything different visually in the manga or the anime, no special sound effect. In fact I think Mihawk says you've gotten smarter or something like that.

El Sloth said:

If it was Haki, they should have made it clear e.g. by giving Hawkeye a surprised look because Luffy predicted his attack or something like that.

@ Filler: meh, I watch all of them, the OVAs, the movies and the TV specials. You can't get enough One Piece. (I don't read the manga though, simply because it's not a medium I enjoy as much. I also don't read the book of a movie I liked ;) )

Anth0ny

SolidusDave said:
@ Filler: meh, I watch all of them, the OVAs, the movies and the TV specials. You can't get enough One Piece. (I don't read the manga though, simply because it's not a medium I enjoy as much. I also don't read the book of a movie I liked ;) )

But you're technically watching a movie based on a book right now =/

If you can tolerate the horrible pacing and bad animation that anime tends to throw at you, all the power to you. If not, manga is the way to go. I made that choice back in Enies Lobby (OH GOD 8 MIN INTROS) and it was the best decision of my life.

The best I tells ya.

Doc Holliday said:
I don't think it takes Haki for luffy to realize that trying to fight mihawk would be a very idea. He's shown to be a pretty smart fighter throughout the series. We didn't see anything different visually in the manga or the anime, no special sound effect. In fact I think Mihawk says you've gotten smarter or something like that.
SolidusDave said:
If it was Haki, they should have made it clear e.g. by giving Hawkeye a surprised look because Luffy predicted his attack or something like that.

In the manga Mihawk comments that Luffy seems "unusually" clear-headed right then. And that kind of haki has no special sound effect.

Luffy suddenly seeing his hands like that IS a very different visual effect, and the vision, his sudden shocked expression, and Mihawk's comment indicate that Luffy just had something weird happen.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I think the sub I watched must have been mistranslated a bit. What exactly is Buggy supposed to mean with that joke he tells as Mihawk taps the Muggy Ball back to him?

Dr. Pangloss said:
What a cliffhanger? Came out of left field for me. Who was that guy?

One of the New World pirates Whitebeard brought along. He's been there since the beginning. They even mentioned him missing a few episodes ago.

Ferga

So glad i'm holding out from watching the war during the past few weeks. From the sounds of it, it's really shit when watching an episode a week.

Someone tell me when its over. Going to watch it all in one sitting

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ferga said:
So glad i'm holding out from watching the war during the past few weeks. From the sounds of it, it's really shit when watching an episode a week.

Someone tell me when its over. Going to watch it all in one sitting
It'll be a few months still. There are still about 18 chapters worth of the manga left to cover, so if we continue at the same pace, that's another 18 episodes, which means another 4+ months to go on the war.

Steroyd

This episode had more of the type of filler I was hoping there'd be like expanding a bit on the Mihawk vs Best Whitebeard swordsman guy but not enough of it.

What a cliffhanger? Came out of left field for me. Who was that guy?

Squardo, Whitebeard called for him earlier but was MIA.

DarthWoo

DarthWoo said:
I think the sub I watched must have been mistranslated a bit. What exactly is Buggy supposed to mean with that joke he tells as Mihawk taps the Muggy Ball back to him?

Anyone know about this? The sub I watched basically had Buggy saying something like "Do you know why the Muggy Ball is so popular with plumbers? Because it goes BOOM!" I was wondering if it was some sort of lost in translation thing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DarthWoo said:
Anyone know about this? The sub I watched basically had Buggy saying something like "Do you know why the Muggy Ball is so popular with plumbers? Because it goes BOOM!" I was wondering if it was some sort of lost in translation thing.
The actual joke was:
How is the muggy ball useful for tunnel construction?
Because it goes.. boom!​
The joke being that explosions are used for tunnel construction... yeah. I defintely think something was lost in translation with that. Most likely there is some clever word play going on that's impossible to translate properly.

DarthWoo

Thanks. I actually do enjoy most of the Buggy/Mr. 3 stuff in this arc. I was actually discussing the
Buggy vs. Mihawk "fight"
with somebody today and we got to wondering something. We know by now that haki can negate damage mitigating effects of Devil's Fruits, whether they be general as in Logia or something like Luffy in the Paramecia type, or rare Zoan like Marco. What exactly would a haki user with a sword or other bladed weapon do against Buggy if he didn't intentionally split himself prior to getting sliced?

DarthWoo said:
Thanks. I actually do enjoy most of the Buggy/Mr. 3 stuff in this arc. I was actually discussing the
Buggy vs. Mihawk "fight"
with somebody today and we got to wondering something. We know by now that haki can negate damage mitigating effects of Devil's Fruits, whether they be general as in Logia or something like Luffy in the Paramecia type, or rare Zoan like Marco. What exactly would a haki user with a sword or other bladed weapon do against Buggy if he didn't intentionally split himself prior to getting sliced?

I don't think we know if haki bypasses a DF ability or negates it entirely. If it's the latter, Buggy would die instantly since he would no longer be a man that can function when his body parts are disconnected.

Steroyd

DarthWoo said:
What exactly would a haki user with a sword or other bladed weapon do against Buggy if he didn't intentionally split himself prior to getting sliced?

I think it'd be the same result wether haki is used or not.

It seems Buggy autmaticaly splits when he's about to get sliced by something sharp, like on Impel Down when he walked on the sharp grass, blunt objects he'd stand no chance.

upandaway

It would be really badass if Buggy is immune to haki slices. Because after all he IS getting cut, just not getting damage from it. So it makes sense.

We didn't get any proof for it either way though.

DarthWoo

You know, for all his weaknesses, Buggy's powers could actually be incredibly powerful on offense if he would just figure out how to use them to their full potential. He could do something like separate a fingertip or maybe the tip of just a fingernail and surreptitiously jam it through someone's nose or ear and mash around their brain, all from a safe distance.

Anth0ny

Those are some fantastic prices. I'd bite on Sanji if Canada didn't get fucked so hard by customs =(

hell, i might still bite. $37 for Sanji is crazy good

Eh, not a good episode, in my opinion. There was about two minutes of reaction shots at the beginning. Seemed pretty lazy. The hug scene was well done though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, the episode had a bad start and really padded itself out with reaction shots a lot, but they did a lot of fleshing things out with Squard that was nice to see and pretty much all the Squard/Whitebeard scenes (which is, you know, the main focus of the episode) were all pretty great.

Could have done without the ultra lazy loooooong reaction shots at the beginning though.

Anth0ny

SON, I AM DISAPPOINT

BUT I STILL LOVE YOU

Awesome moment.

Also, I swear one of those new world pirates called Whitebeard "Old buggy" :lol :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
MetatronM said:
Could have done without the ultra lazy loooooong reaction shots at the beginning though.
Not surprising though considering that the corresponding manga chapter had a full doublespread of reaction shots devoted to it. :/

On the bright side, next week's episode seems to cover more than 1 chapter! And after that will be an episode by Eisaku Inoue!

OP is crack must see next episode......I told myself i would wait for War arc to end:lol :lol each week i am gonna be typing Can't wait for next week.:lol

Top Bottom