• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

El Sloth

Banned
Oya-san= Old Buddy? Wouldn't "Pops" have been more appropriate? Seeing as how Whitebeard refers to all of them as his sons, I mean.

Yoboman

Can we discuss why the pacing and animtion seems to have become so terrible?

I stopped watching OP around the CP9 arc but everything seemed fine then. Occasionally you could see where it was being drawn out but it never felt as badly done as this. This arc is terribly animated for what it should be. Is it just me or was the animation much better in the CP9 arc?

Anth0ny

Yoboman said:
Can we discuss why the pacing and animtion seems to have become so terrible?

I stopped watching OP around the CP9 arc but everything seemed fine then. Occasionally you could see where it was being drawn out but it never felt as badly done as this. This arc is terribly animated for what it should be. Is it just me or was the animation much better in the CP9 arc?

Yeah, I think it's been progressively getting worse, animation-wise. Impel Down was the ultimate low, Marineford has been better, but as you said, it's terrible for what it should be. Still hoping for a movie to be made about the war.

As I've mentioned before, I honestly watch the anime now just to see how they deal with certain scenes. This week's episode with the epic hug is a good example. I thought they did a good job with that :D

Yoboman

Anth0ny said:
Yeah, I think it's been progressively getting worse, animation-wise. Impel Down was the ultimate low, Marineford has been better, but as you said, it's terrible for what it should be. Still hoping for a movie to be made about the war.

As I've mentioned before, I honestly watch the anime now just to see how they deal with certain scenes. This week's episode with the epic hug is a good example. I thought they did a good job with that :D
They must be overworked or something.; I really don't get why it runs all year around

They'd have so much more success out of running it for 26 weeks a year instead of 52.

Think how much better the pacing would be. The fanbase would be way more into it because it's not a constant drilling of averageness. Budgets could be done more appropriately

It's illogical how they do it, all year around non-stop, yet trying to keep behind the manga

Anth0ny

Yoboman said:
They must be overworked or something.; I really don't get why it runs all year around

They'd have so much more success out of running it for 26 weeks a year instead of 52.

Think how much better the pacing would be. The fanbase would be way more into it because it's not a constant drilling of averageness. Budgets could be done more appropriately

It's illogical how they do it, all year around non-stop, yet trying to keep behind the manga

Exactly. I've never understood this.

It must have to do with marketing... they must have a new episode every week, or else. Yet, I'm sure the kiddies wouldn't give two shits if they ran re-runs of Alabasta for a few months. Hell, they could release a POP of Enel and play Skypiea! Perfect!

bah, anime makes no sense. *hugs manga volumes*

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
s4575u.png

One Piece - Ep 473 - The Encircling Walls Activated! The Whitebeard Pirates backed into a corner! (SUB)

Aww, it still only covered 1 chapter

upandaway

Blair said:
that whitebeard attack looked off the hook.
Yeah that was great when he got the giant. I knew what was gonna happen and I still gasped.

They really didn't do anything make the 1:1 any less painful that it was previously, though.

This arc has a painfully slow. To make matter worst there doing 1 chapter per ep and the war has some of shortest chapters in OP.
My only hope is later on they do a movie with the war , this suppose to be one best arc is OP. The poor art , animation and pacing destroyed it .

Anth0ny

OP is almost always 2nd to Sazae-san in the ratings. People say that if it had it's old time slot, it would probably be 1st every week. Sunday morning in Japan is equivalent to Saturday morning cartoons here in North America.

As for the episode... animation was great, and that's always nice to see.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
akachan ningen said:
I like how stuff actually happened in this episode. Hopefully they keep that going.

Yeah its been that way for the past three to four eps. Hopefully it will continue at this pace until the arc is over.

LordAlu

The animation near the end for
Luffy getting behind the wall and using Gomu Gomu No Stamp Gatling
was incredible. Darn these one a week episodes!

LordAlu said:
The animation near the end for
Luffy getting behind the wall and using Gomu Gomu No Stamp Gatling
was incredible. Darn these one a week episodes!

do what I did, watch all 474 episodes again.

Pimpwerx

I'm really not a fan of the animation lately. The art is off. None of the admirals look like Oda's drawings, and the animation is not fluid at all. The over-the-top style worked when Luffy punched the celestial dragon in Shabondy, but isn't working well for this war.

I felt this episode animated as poorly as Impel Down, and I feel the whole arc has been subpar. The gatling stamp is supposed to actually have the pieces of the mast passing through the admirals, since they're logias. The animation team totally cheaped out there. The whole spiraling water column reeked of filler too.

I'm not really pleased with anything from pacing to art to animation. This was executed much-better in the manga. PEACE.

I just ordered my first two figurines of anything ever!

Figuarts Zero Blackbeard
Figuarts-Zero-Blackbeard-Marshall-D.-Teach01.jpg

Figuarts Zero Shanks
Figuarts-Zero-Shanks01.jpg

Can't wait for them to arrive. Knowing me I'll probably try get the whole collection once I start :D

ColonelVirus

Neo Member
Quicksilva said:
I just ordered my first two figurines of anything ever!

Figuarts Zero Blackbeard
Figuarts-Zero-Blackbeard-Marshall-D.-Teach01.jpg

Figuarts Zero Shanks
Figuarts-Zero-Shanks01.jpg

Can't wait for them to arrive. Knowing me I'll probably try get the whole collection once I start :D

Wow such high quality models!! I must get some :D Congratz on making your first figurine purchase ever!

Steroyd

akachan ningen said:
Why was bonney crying so much?

I don't think it was covered in the manga either, but
It seems she has some history with Akainu or the WG in general, which won't get hinted at till much much later.

Steroyd said:
I don't think it was covered in the manga either, but
It seems she has some history with Akainu or the WG in general, which won't get hinted at till much much later.

No, it was
about Whitebeard betraying his allies.

Anth0ny

Looks great in the anime.

Now multiply that by 10 and you have my feelings when I first saw that in the manga :D

edit: just remember, it was actually my desktop background for a good while.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
As usual for scenes like this, I looked it up in the manga afterwards to see how it was handled, and was like "that's it?" I love the kind of treatment the anime can give to these things. (I think I prefer the side-view of this shot actually.)

(Though yes I know an after-the-fact comparison is hardly the same as seeing it in the manga for the first time.)

On the plus side, looking it up in the manga made me realize that Strong World Episode 0 was the next chapter, which finally clears me up to be able to watch it. Win!

Anth0ny

Ultimatum said:
Eisaku Inoue <3 Anybody know when his next episode will be? They're amazing.

Before this episode, his last episode was Kuma vs. Zoro. That's, like, 100 episodes ago.

HE SHOULD DO EVERY EPISODE, FUCK YOU TOEI.

Really liked the music at the end. The horns made it epic. I don't know how much longer they can string it out. Everyone is there now. Hopefully Luffy pulls through.

zlatko

Banned
Dr. Pangloss said:
Really liked the music at the end. The horns made it epic. I don't know how much longer they can string it out. Everyone is there now. Hopefully Luffy pulls through.

I haven't read the manga so I'm guessing some/most of you in here know what happens next, but assuming you and I both haven't read the manga then technically not EVERYONE is there now.

The Strawhat crew could still show up with like Rayleigh or something. I was actually surprised they didn't show up to help Luffy out yet up to this point. I also cannot freaking wait for the reactions from the crew about Boa Hancock being in love. That episode will be priceless. :lol

Decent episode this week. I don't recall that part with Mr. 3 from the manga. I don't think they should have added it to be honest... Off-topic, but it was great to see some Dragon Quest IX commercials in the episode.

I typically don't like to spoil myself, but...somebody PLEASE tell me that Kizaru gets his ass kicked at some point in the future...the way he talks pisses me off so much. Most annoying speech mannerisms in all of One Piece so far for me...and that's saying a lot.

MadraptorMan said:
I typically don't like to spoil myself, but...somebody PLEASE tell me that Kizaru gets his ass kicked at some point in the future...the way he talks pisses me off so much. Most annoying speech mannerisms in all of One Piece so far for me...and that's saying a lot.
Haha, I love Kizaru's speech mannerisms. Don't spoil yourself, just be patient and wait. Or read the manga, which is amazing.

MadraptorMan said:

Mosh Mosh
gEoI4.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MadraptorMan said:
How can you hate excellence? I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Top Bottom