• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
ezekial45 said:
I REALLY want to get back into this series, but i've only seen episodes 1-15. I'm tempted to just read the One Piece wiki and try to watch the latest episode.
No! Watch it through properly! Or if that's too long, read through the manga. It'll take a couple weeks at a casual pace, but it's worth it.

And like others said, if there was a literal worst possible place to jump in, the latest episode is it. Even beyond that, this whole arc is basically the culmination of almost everything that has happened thus far.

One Piece is about the journey. It doesn't work as well without actually going along for the ride.

EmCeeGramr said:
Aokiji got stabbed through the midsection by Whitebeard, and pirates thought it was a haki attack that should have killed him.

Maybe haki isn't as "hax" as it's made out to be, and there are ways for Logia users or haki users to negate or reduce its effects. If that's the case, it'll probably be explained in the future. Oda never leaves little details like that just hanging.

You can clearly see blood when he got hit (at least I think it's a different color&shape than his magma), so it's really strange that he could just close those wounds with his Logia (while Ace can't).

Maybe Logia users can heal Haki hits as long as they don't destroy entire organs or so (like in the case of Ace).

Trickster

Griffith said:
2nsmluv.gif

Had to make this. I love Akainu, he's easily my favourite admiral.

He's like a goddamn terminator is what he is.

Azure J

EmCeeGramr said:
Aokiji got stabbed through the midsection by Whitebeard, and pirates thought it was a haki attack that should have killed him.

I was always under the impression that Aokiji saw it coming and shifted himself around the blade to avoid taking contact damage. It was seen in the manga panel and kinda brushed off, but in the anime they made sure to give it a prominent whirlpool like effect where he should have gotten run through. I'm guessing that really good Logias still have a decent upper hand if they can all pull the same shit, but then Vista & Marco on Akainu begins to make less sense.

Meanwhile, the episode really managed to get me thinking fuuuuu just like the manga chapter did. The anime did all parties justice though. I felt bad for both liking Akainu's "Terminator strut" (which seriously needs a "Haters gonna hate" variant) and realizing that this motherfucker is not going down for a looooooooooong time after this.

Edit: Another thing on the haki debate, I like believing that if Haki = Will/Willpower, it's possible that one's Haki can be sharper or stronger (eew, shounen rules :p) than another person's, thus leading to a few different explanations on things. Akainu's beliefs tie into his willpower and due to the intensity he takes this to, it outdoes Ace's since he isn't necessarily as powerful outright, even if he has comparable will.

Steroyd

I'm not sure if it would be considered spoiler because Haki is going to be explained a little more thorough later on in the anime but I'll spoiler tag it anyway.

When a logia gets hit by Haki they get hit by the "body" of the logia (like when Rayleigh cut Kizaru's face a little), so that might explain why Marco and Vista cut Akainu but he shrugged it off or it's not visible due to his clothes, don't know what the clothing rules are for logia's though.

Jexemad said:
The music choices were good for the emotional goodbye :'(

Would have loved to see a new music score for the marineford arc but it seems they're keeping the sames ones till the Straw hats reach the new world.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
spiderman123 said:
Would have loved to see a new music score for the marineford arc but it seems they're keeping the sames ones till the Straw hats reach the new world.
Toei only makes new musical scores for the movies and then slowly adds them to the anime's lineup over time. There's been a number of Strong World songs used in Marineford but I don't think Toei has made a completely new song just for the tv series since One Piece began.

ezekial45 said:
I REALLY want to get back into this series, but i've only seen episodes 1-15. I'm tempted to just read the One Piece wiki and try to watch the latest episode.

I recently found a place where you could download/stream all the episodes - I think they're all still up - from one of those file uploading sites, pm me if you want the link.

Just to add to the haki discussion:

I was also under the impression that Aokiji actually avoided White Beard's blow by forming himself around the partisan, instead of actually being impaled.

You can see Aokiji take damage from a haki attack by Jozu earlier on, and you might notice the damage dealt from the attack isn't necessarily where the attack took place. I think Akainu took damage from Marco and Vista's attack, but not necessarily where the "slices" were.

Also, a few posts made it seem like people thought Akainu was able to hurt Ace because of Haki, but that's not the case at all. It's simply the hierarchy of the devil fruit. "Magma burns fire" so Ace gets burned by Akainu. It's the interaction between fruit, much like how Luffy, a rubber man, didn't take any damage from Enel's lightning attacks.

El Sloth

Banned
Griffith said:
Looks like they edited
Akainu taking off half Whitebeard's face and changed it to only half his mustache.
I knew they would censor it, but it's still disappointing.
Fucking hell.
That(and the following events) was one of the things that established Whitebeard's unrivaled old man badassery to me in the manga.

Folks who haven't really should go back to the corresponding manga chapters after this arc so they can understand what we're whining about.

Anonymous Tipster said:
Just to add to the haki discussion:

I was also under the impression that Aokiji actually avoided White Beard's blow by forming himself around the partisan, instead of actually being impaled.

You can see Aokiji take damage from a haki attack by Jozu earlier on, and you might notice the damage dealt from the attack isn't necessarily where the attack took place. I think Akainu took damage from Marco and Vista's attack, but not necessarily where the "slices" were.

Also, a few posts made it seem like people thought Akainu was able to hurt Ace because of Haki, but that's not the case at all. It's simply the hierarchy of the devil fruit. "Magma burns fire" so Ace gets burned by Akainu. It's the interaction between fruit, much like how Luffy, a rubber man, didn't take any damage from Enel's lightning attacks.
I always figured that as soon as Akainu felt skin break he just did something similar to what you assumed Aokiji did to lessen the damage.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Really great episode. Once they got over that recap crap like they always do, everything else was great. Granted some of the animation/artwork was suspect, it still turned out way better than I would've though.

sogood.gif

the only thing im pissed about is half of his face not getting burnt off like in the manga but I guess they had to tone it down for the audience :( the fight still ended up being amazing and they fleshed it out instead of just having it 3 hits.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Jeeze, they might not've blown his face off, but they gave him ANOTHER hole in his chest. Maybe... maybe that's a fair trade off.

The noises Luffy was making during the TV-statickey-lookin part D: D: D:

sphagnum

Banned
Error said:
which episode does the marineford stuff starts?

The arc starts at 452, but there's a bunch of episodes that show what the rest of the crew is up to. The nonstop Marineford stuff starts at 459.

Maron

Ferga said:
aww damn censors :(

Gotta remember One Piece is shown on Sunday mornings in Japan, making it the equivalent of a Saturday morning cartoon. At least we got a compromise.

I really liked Luffy's screaming at the beginning. Appropriately creepy and sad. That's what he should have been doing in the end of the last episode I feel, instead of the sobbing.

Akainu

spiderman123 said:
you got your ass beaten by a 72 year old.
Fuck you! Akainu fears no man. The only reason Shitbeard took out m...Akainu was because his loser ass got off a cheap shot. Then this shitty episode comes out and they make Akainu look bad! Bullshit!!! Fucking animators!!!

smurfx

get some go again
Akainu said:
Fuck you! Akainu fears no man. The only reason Shitbeard took out m...Akainu was because his loser ass got off a cheap shot. Then this shitty episode comes out and they make Akainu look bad! Bullshit!!! Fucking animators!!!
you know akainu is right. whitebeard got a cheap shot in on akainu and that is the reason why he downed him but not before akainu tore whitebeard face off. he then came back a little while later like nothing happened and continued killing people. he is definitely the most powerful guy we've seen in the manga.

smurfx said:
you know akainu is right. whitebeard got a cheap shot in on akainu and that is the reason why he downed him but not before akainu tore whitebeard face off. he then came back a little while later like nothing happened and continued killing people. he is definitely the most powerful guy we've seen in the manga.

Even with half his face gone
he still downed him and split marineford in half and destroy the marine base and still fought blackbeard. Please Akainu got his nuts tore off and served on a silver platter.

smurfx

get some go again
spiderman123 said:
Even with half his face gone he still downed him and split marineford in half and destroy the marine base and still fought blackbeard. Please Akainu got his nuts tore off and served on a silver platter.
because of a cheap shot. its not like he was foaming at the mouth knocked out. he came back through the ground and then proceeded to kill pirates like nothing had happened.

You should probably watch the manga spoilers in this thread, as insignificant as they may be.

This episode wasn't that bad, all things considered. Also, Blackbeard's new crew's voices were great!

Anth0ny

Jesus christ that was a good episode. Whitebeard beat the FUCK out of Akainu. Too bad about the censorship, but the scene was bad ass regardless.

Great ending. Another "shit is going to hit the fan" moment.

Also, It must be really weird for Mayumi Tanaka to have to make some of those noises, Luffy sounded pretty beat.

Steroyd

Entropia said:
What are you guys talking about, he lost his moustache, not half his face.

Akainu takes out half his face in the manga, hence why the anime is censored in comparison.

That said beautiful episode, from Akainu's "Oh... snap" expression right down to Whitebeard raging, and look who turns up at the end.

I really would like to know how they got Sanjuan Wolf in (and out of) Impel Down :p

btw, I guess the Impel Down Level 6 prisoners still had their sea stone handcuffs on while fighting to the death? Because if not, the fight would have been far more extreme than Marinefold ^^

Top Bottom