• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Ezalc

Holy shit, Akainu got fucking destroyed. I loved every second of that fight. If they made it that Whitebeard was fighting like that from the beginning everybody would have gotten destroyed.

Noshino

smurfx said:
you know akainu is right. whitebeard got a cheap shot in on akainu and that is the reason why he downed him but not before akainu tore whitebeard face off. he then came back a little while later like nothing happened and continued killing people. he is definitely the most powerful guy we've seen in the manga.

Akainu also got lucky with the shot... regardless, in both versions he gets trashed by Whitebeard, even more so in the manga.

Entropia said:
What are you guys talking about, he lost his moustache, not half his face.

In the manga, Whitebeard loses a big chunk of his head, not really "half his face" like many are saying though.

qT1tY.gif

Ezalc said:
Holy shit, Akainu got fucking destroyed. I loved every second of that fight. If they made it that Whitebeard was fighting like that from the beginning everybody would have gotten destroyed.

They couldn't draw it out until Ace died.

smurfx

get some go again
loved this episode. lol i thought they would wimp out on the mass stabbing and shooting but it was damn brutal.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that episode was awesome. No opening narration, no useless maps, not even a recap! Just start to finish badassity. What a novel concept.

The black, white, and red effect for the Blackbeard Pirates' attack was awesome too.

MetatronM said:
Man, that episode was awesome. No opening narration, no useless maps, not even a recap! Just start to finish badassity. What a novel concept.

The black, white, and red effect for the Blackbeard Pirates' attack was awesome too.

Wow, I didn't even notice they took out the opening narration.

I didn't like most of the episodes during the war, a lot of them had only 5-7 minutes of footage I actually liked and too much stuff going on that really left me unimpressed compared to how it was handled in the manga.

This episode was extremely satisfying though, it's the first episode in a long long time that I'd put on my "rewatchable" list.

They really handled this episode excellently, from start to finish.

Whitebeard was an awesome character, he really did deserve his title.

Noshino

Neoriceisgood said:
I didn't like most of the episodes during the war, a lot of them had only 5-7 minutes of footage I actually liked and too much stuff going on that really left me unimpressed compared to how it was handled in the manga.

This episode was extremely satisfying though, it's the first episode in a long long time that I'd put on my "rewatchable" list.

They really handled this episode excellently, from start to finish.

Whitebeard was an awesome character, he really did deserve his title.

Well, I wish it wasn't censored though, the scene with Whitebeard dead, standing there with a bunch of swords on his chest and blood everywhere (hell, I think they even lowered the statistics as well).... it was just more awe inspiring on the manga

Steroyd

In the manga I grew some chest hairs with this scene, and now I grew even more, awesome ending, and no 10 minute recap at the start was a welcome change.

upandaway

That's two episodes in a row now that I really, really liked. Really intense to watch. And they're the two episodes that were most important to me.

They kinda messed up Ace's death, but with Whitebeard it was so damn good.

I just hoped they'd also jam in what's going to happen next (oh man oh man oh man) in this episode to end it, but this way is fine too.

upandaway said:
They kinda messed up Ace's death, but with Whitebeard it was so damn good.

What do you mean? I thought they did it well, Ace's was quite emotional.

Though I thought the animation style taken for the assault on Whitebeard was great, mainly the moments like this...
tumblr_lg19z0ZFyC1qa8ydp.gif

Anth0ny

Ace's death was good, but the anime team managed to make the death of Merry waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay sadder. Ace's death didn't even come close to that shit ; _ ;

Anth0ny said:
Ace's death was good, but the anime team managed to make the death of Merry waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay sadder. Ace's death didn't even come close to that shit ; _ ;

Luffys cries and seeing everyone cry was sad for me for Ace's. Maybe you and others were just more emotionally connected to the Going Merry?

Anth0ny said:
Yea, Merry's funeral is probably my favorite anime scene. It was the perfect transition from the manga.

Unrelated, but I noticed you can watch One Piece on Hulu Plus on the PS3 now. Really good quality, too!

upandaway

I don't think I ever watched the Merry scene in the anime. I stopped watching the anime before the end of Enies Lobby and started catching up from the beginning of Thriller Bark, if I remember right...

Which episode is it?

upandaway said:
I don't think I ever watched the Merry scene in the anime. I stopped watching the anime before the end of Enies Lobby and started catching up from the beginning of Thriller Bark, if I remember right...

Which episode is it?
Episode 312.

Steroyd

Dedication Through Light said:
Luffys cries and seeing everyone cry was sad for me for Ace's. Maybe you and others were just more emotionally connected to the Going Merry?

I think with all the "Oyajiiiiiiiiii" and "Assssscccccceeeeeeeee" screaming and stuff throughout the arc diluted the impact when there was an actual legitamate reason to shout "Oyajiiiiiiiiii" and "Assssscccccceeeeeeeee".

Gah! They brought back the schematic diagram at the beginning of the episode again, so many precious seconds wasted on that. I am so glad Im not living in the One Piece world at this time, Id feel so distressed!!!

Maron

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow the episode was so dramatic and intense, all those gunshots! Though it was great that he at least went out with a life fulfilled...
tumblr_lfu2ywIWaU1qbbb7wo1_500.jpg

:O

Maybe it's because I haven't been at the manga thread in a while...but I had no idea you were back! Good to see you again!

Snaku said:
Wish I were caught up with the anime. Waiting on Funi to release the DVDs is killing me.

Why don't you read the manga?

Maron said:
:O

Maybe it's because I haven't been at the manga thread in a while...but I had no idea you were back! Good to see you again!

Heh, thanks, hopefully I wont ever take anymore 6month vacations.

Changing gears, I finally started watching all the episodes I missed (since I only stared One Piece in the middle of Impel Down). I love the dub to death (Luffy, Zoro, Sanji are all amazing), up to episode 40 something, with Arlong Park. I love the dubbed opening, it is so awesome! We Are!

Huh...watching the new ep made me think of something. Don't remember if this was said in the manga, but I guess it was?

Marco said average people can't acquire two Devil Fruit powers and that Blackbeard's body structure is different which is why he was able to do it...I wonder if it's because he has D. in his name, and other people with D. might be able to do the same.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Bel Marduk said:
Huh...watching the new ep made me think of something. Don't remember if this was said in the manga, but I guess it was?

Marco said average people can't acquire two Devil Fruit powers and that Blackbeard's body structure is different which is why he was able to do it...I wonder if it's because he has D. in his name, and other people with D. might be able to do the same.

Marco didn't state it so confidently in the Manga, he said in response to it being impossible to get two DF powers: "For an 'ordinary human' it most certainly is. But as you all know Teach isn't like most people...! There's something different about him... About his body!! Is that he managed to achieve this...!?"

smurfx

get some go again
Entropia said:
Marco didn't state it so confidently in the Manga, he said in response to it being impossible to get two DF powers: "For an 'ordinary human' it most certainly is. But as you all know Teach isn't like most people...! There's something different about him... About his body!! Is that he managed to achieve this...!?"
well remember that his pirate flag has 3 skulls on it. maybe he has something like 3 hearts or something like that and will be able to acquire 3 devil fruits in the end. imagine him stealing one of the admirals devil fruits.

Entropia

No One Remembers
akachan ningen said:
so what was blackbeard doing under that blanket? something ribald no doubt or else they wouldn't have bothered covering him.

He probably didn't want them to see, and I'm sure we'll find out eventually. I imagine that it had something to do with Blackbeard's Devil Fruit...

Steroyd

akachan ningen said:
so what was blackbeard doing under that blanket? something ribald no doubt or else they wouldn't have bothered covering him.

He can leech out the DF power of anyone he touches, so I'm presuming he can take it one step further when in total darkness.

Top Bottom