• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

I guess those hypotheses make more sense than the one I gathered for how he has two powers (ie, his darkness power cancels out the consequence that people get for having two DF powers and negates it...). Oh well hopefully Oda addresses it (or I guess it would be stated in some JPN only character data book...)

Dedication Through Light said:
I guess those hypotheses make more sense than the one I gathered for how he has two powers (ie, his darkness power cancels out the consequence that people get for having two DF powers and negates it...). Oh well hopefully Oda addresses it (or I guess it would be stated in some JPN only character data book...)

This is one of the greatest mysteries in One Piece, you're crazy if you think he'll just throw this in a character data book without making a big deal out of it.

Personal absurd theory of the day;

The 3 skulls remind me of either a chimera or cerbereus;

I kinda imagined that Blackbeard's got some sort of 3-headed Zoan fruit and he managed
to break the rules by having one of the other two heads eat the fruit.

I might be completely of target here, but the 3-heads on his flag combined with the fact that he obviously had something to hide indicate that it's bound to go beyond the yami yami no mi just being able to steal powers completely.

This stuff is hard to predict though, but I do think that the three skulls on his flag are a strong hint.

Well, due to the blanket (which also wasn't really moving etc.) it should be something that either needs to stay a secret or something embarrassing.

If it reveals something the general public should not see, then I don't think Blackbeard would care.
Maybe he would mind about something like being seen french kissing a dead Whitebeard...
But I think the most logical reason is that it's something recreatable and therefore copy-cats could potentially become a thread for him.
That or it reveals a weak point in his new powers.

in this regard, do you think Oda would ever give Luffy a second dragon fruit ability? Something matching the rubber power stuff could enable him to compete with all the other big shots. Though I guess that could possibly ruin the charm of the rubber boy so I guess he will just let Luffy control his Haki.

edit: oh yeah I forgot the flag...
Maybe Blackbeard is actually a Siamese triplet but since birth the other two only exists in a somewhat embryonic state inside his belly (and their mouths connected to wherever he can apply the fruit)?
I know this is "...wat?" but this can actually happen in reality.

SolidusDave said:
in this regard, do you think Oda would ever give Luffy a second dragon fruit ability? Something matching the rubber power stuff could enable him to compete with all the other big shots. Though I guess that could possibly ruin the charm of the rubber boy so I guess he will just let Luffy control his Haki.

I have always been of the belief that Luffy needs a Logia power, then he could stand against other characters. Though was Whitebeard vs Akainu basically Haki vs Magma? If not then I guess Luffy's alright, assuming honing in on Haki is superior to DF powers.

Steroyd

I have always been of the belief that Luffy needs a Logia power, then he could stand against other characters. Though was Whitebeard vs Akainu basically Haki vs Magma? If not then I guess Luffy's alright, assuming honing in on Haki is superior to DF powers.

I'm sure Haki had something to do with the Whitebeard vs Akainu fight, but Akainu mostly got wiped out by the quakes.

Also got to consider the likes of Mihawk, Shanks and Rayleigh looking to be non DF users (probably Gold Roger to), who are at the top of the pile, they at least give me hope that being a DF user isn't the be all and end all.

This stuff is hard to predict though, but I do think that the three skulls on his flag are a strong hint.

Oh they definately are, if Hacchi's tattoo back in the arlong arc was linked to fishmen/Boa hancock some 200+ episodes later, then Blackbeards pirate flag has a meaning to it to.

SolidusDave said:
If it reveals something the general public should not see, then I don't think Blackbeard would care.
Maybe he would mind about something like being seen french kissing a dead Whitebeard...
But I think the most logical reason is that it's something recreatable and therefore copy-cats could potentially become a thread for him.
That or it reveals a weak point in his new powers.

Marco already said his body structure is off. It wouldn't be something recreatable.

A parasitic twin/triplet inside him is more plausible.

cosmicblizzard said:
Marco already said his body structure is off. It wouldn't be something recreatable.

IDK, not necessarily. For one, why would Blackbeard be the only one who would be able to do this? Even something like the King's Haki, while rare, is possible for multiple people to have it. Second, the way Marco said (anime/manga, doesn't matter) it sounded unsurprising...like he knew something was up rather than it being something random like only Blackbeard's body is different from anyone else, especially when he said "average" people can't do it...but not everyone is just your average person in the OP world either.

I don't think this is something unique that only Blackbeard can do...although maybe his darkness DF power made it easier or something. Unless his DF is the only reason he was able to gain another DF in the first place, but I kinda doubt that.

Bel Marduk said:
IDK, not necessarily. For one, why would Blackbeard be the only one who would be able to do this? Even something like the King's Haki, while rare, is possible for multiple people to have it. Second, the way Marco said (anime/manga, doesn't matter) it sounded unsurprising...like he knew something was up rather than it being something random like only Blackbeard's body is different from anyone else, especially when he said "average" people can't do it...but not everyone is just your average person in the OP world either.

I don't think this is something unique that only Blackbeard can do...although maybe his darkness DF power made it easier or something. Unless his DF is the only reason he was able to gain another DF in the first place, but I kinda doubt that.

Did the anime ever fill in Blackbeard's background? (oddly arent we missing background on a few key characters). I think this whole Blackbeard thing to be a puzzle at nearly 500 episodes in the series...

Steroyd

Did the anime ever fill in Blackbeard's background? (oddly arent we missing background on a few key characters). I think this whole Blackbeard thing to be a puzzle at nearly 500 episodes in the series...

Well it depends if the scarring shanks, killed a crewmate, was on Whitebeards crew counts as "background", beyond that no we won't be told the neccesary information till it's time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Cmagus said:
subbed i'll never watch the dub abomination they had out
The real (Funimation) dub of the series is fine and covers the first 195 episodes so far.

Though the sub is still greatly superior.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
cosmicblizzard said:

I got the sense that he might just be referring to his existing devil fruit ability. It looks like darkness is paired with "absorption" as an ability. Black Hole sucks people up, he's able to nullify other people's abilities... and I seem to recall that he also takes in more pain along with absorbing their abilities, from the Ace fight. So maybe another ability from that fruit is that he can actually acquire the abilities of dead fruit users. It may have been his plan from day 1, the reason he wanted that fruit above all others, because it would one day allow him to steal Whitebeard's power, the TRUE power he wanted.

[Edit] Though I do sort of hope it's related to the Will of D, since it would basically guarantee that Luffy would eventually get a second devil fruit power, and that would be neat.

Tathanen said:
I got the sense that he might just be referring to his existing devil fruit ability. It looks like darkness is paired with "absorption" as an ability. Black Hole sucks people up, he's able to nullify other people's abilities... and I seem to recall that he also takes in more pain along with absorbing their abilities, from the Ace fight. So maybe another ability from that fruit is that he can actually acquire the abilities of dead fruit users. It may have been his plan from day 1, the reason he wanted that fruit above all others, because it would one day allow him to steal Whitebeard's power, the TRUE power he wanted.

[Edit] Though I do sort of hope it's related to the Will of D, since it would basically guarantee that Luffy would eventually get a second devil fruit power, and that would be neat.
I think it's something that has to do with both his existing body and his fruit. Marco in the manga told the other Whitebeard Pirates (when they said it was impossible to have two fruit powers) that "As you all know, Teach isn't like other people!" It'd have to be something that they were familiar with, and Blackbeard fled the crew as soon as he stole the Yami-Yami Fruit from Thatch and killed him. I don't think it's the commonly postulated "fetus in fetu" theory, that just seems kind of out of place in One Piece.

And I hope Luffy doesn't get another Fruit. He's a rubberman, and nothing more, dammit!

Here's a little thing my friend and I have been doing for ourselves. Ever since Amazon Lily, the anime has been going so slow we decided to cut out the fat and just leave the main points of an episode to try to get a better flow. Just wondering if anyone here liked them. We've done most of the Impel Down / War arc. This is actually from episode 480 and came out a little choppy. Some episodes work better than others but this is the only one uploaded to the Internet at the moment.

http://vimeo.com/19012024

We've been making them for the iPad so the resolution is a little low though.

If this shouldn't be posted here just let me know and I'll remove the link.

VGChampion said:
Here's a little thing my friend and I have been doing for ourselves. Ever since Amazon Lily, the anime has been going so slow we decided to cut out the fat and just leave the main points of an episode to try to get a better flow. Just wondering if anyone here liked them. We've done most of the Impel Down / War arc. This is actually from episode 480 and came out a little choppy. Some episodes work better than others but this is the only one uploaded to the Internet at the moment.

We've been making them for the iPad so the resolution is a little low though.

If this shouldn't be posted here just let me know and I'll remove the link.

The transitions for some scenes feel awkward without the filler, I guess (luffy -> garp flashback, Luffy - fleet admiral scenes), and the lack of the epic opening. But wow, I cant believe it went from 23 minutes to just 8 and was still an awesome 8 minutes!!!

RagnarokX

The transitions for some scenes feel awkward without the filler, I guess (luffy -> garp flashback, Luffy - fleet admiral scenes), and the lack of the epic opening. But wow, I cant believe it went from 23 minutes to just 8 and was still an awesome 8 minutes!!!
That's because that 8 minutes is all the manga did. The anime pads things out with extremely long filler, flashbacks, and staredowns.

What the anime should do is 2 chapters per episode and go on long breaks to prevent catching up.

LaneDS

Oh snaps!!! T. Law!!!!! This is my first time ever seeing him in the anime. Cant wait for the next episode to see what he does.

You should go back and watch the Sabaody Archipelago arc... was handled very well in the anime.

zlatko

Banned
Cool episode. Luffy gets an awesome scar now on his chest.

I'm kind of curious why Hancock is not doing much to help him out. I mean Crocodile of all people comes to his rescue and not the woman who wants to marry him? Kinda weak on her part.

RagnarokX

zlatko said:
Cool episode. Luffy gets an awesome scar now on his chest.

I'm kind of curious why Hancock is not doing much to help him out. I mean Crocodile of all people comes to his rescue and not the woman who wants to marry him? Kinda weak on her part.
Hancock can't do much because she'll blow her cover. If she loses her title as warlord her island will be in danger. The anime has gone a little overboard in adding Hancock scenes for padding.

Xilium

RagnarokX said:
That's because that 8 minutes is all the manga did. The anime pads things out with extremely long filler, flashbacks, and staredowns.

What the anime should do is 2 chapters per episode and go on long breaks to prevent catching up.

I prefer the episodic filler as it is only expanding on what was shown in the manga.

One Piece is the biggest manga/anime property in Japan right now so there's no way in hell they're going to take it off air if it gets too close to the source material. They would do what they do with every major currently running manga-to-anime adaption does and do a filler arc. One Piece has been doing good with avoiding having to do those (very unlike Bleach, Naruto, or Dragonball Z) and I'd prefer it that way since filler arcs are generally bad/boring.

RagnarokX

Xilium said:
I prefer the episodic filler as it is only expanding on what was shown in the manga.

One Piece is the biggest manga/anime property in Japan right now so there's no way in hell they're going to take it off air if it gets to close too the source material. They would do what they do with every major currently running manga-to-anime adaption does and do a filler arc. One Piece has been doing good with avoiding having to do those (very unlike Bleach, Naruto, or Dragonball Z) and I'd prefer it that way since filler arcs are generally bad/boring.
Filler would be ok if it was actually good. Showing the same drawn out flashbacks over and over and showing extremely unfunny Captain Buggy scenes every episode is not good. They have done very little in expanding on what was shown in the manga. They could have made fights longer but nope, Captain Buggy!

Xilium

RagnarokX said:
Filler would be ok if it was actually good. Showing the same drawn out flashbacks over and over and showing extremely unfunny Captain Buggy scenes every episode is not good. They have done very little in expanding on what was shown in the manga. They could have made fights longer but nope, Captain Buggy!

I never said is was great, just better than filler arcs.

Besides, I've think they've done as well as they can in expanding the fights scenes given the amount of information actually given to them from the manga about each characters fighting capabilities. In the manga, most of the major characters in the war revealed very little of their fighting capabilities. I mean, Marco is actually pretty cool in the anime whereas in the manga all he did stand around yelling.

For what they have to work with, I think the anime team is doing just fine.

zlatko

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Hancock can't do much because she'll blow her cover. If she loses her title as warlord her island will be in danger. The anime has gone a little overboard in adding Hancock scenes for padding.

Okay I thought her cover was mad blown a long while ago based off of the numerous episodes of her destroying Pacifistas, fighting/stoning marine soldiers, and getting in the way in general.

RagnarokX

zlatko said:
Okay I thought her cover was mad blown a long while ago based off of the numerous episodes of her destroying Pacifistas, fighting/stoning marine soldiers, and getting in the way in general.
She did stone soldiers and fight pacifistas, but she justified it by saying they got in her way or pissed her off. And then Luffy "defeated" her with that hug "attack".

Xilium

zlatko said:

She has a known hatred for men so they would likely just contribute her actions as her indiscriminately attacking all men within her vicinity.

Xilium said:
She has a known hatred for men so they would likely just contribute her actions as her indiscriminately attacking all men within her vicinity.

I actually dont even ever remember her even hitting other pirates. She and Donflamigo have been two least helpful Shichibukai. Though I guess as Shichibukai they can get away with anything (She even faced Smoker...)

I actually dont even ever remember her even hitting other pirates. She and Donflamigo have been two least helpful Shichibukai. Though I guess as Shichibukai they can get away with anything (She even faced Smoker...)
She did stone some of Whitebeard's pirates. Though Sentomaru and Smoker clearly saw her defending Luffy by attacking them and the Pacifistas. It's possible they didn't bother to report it since they felt there was no point once it was already done.

Anth0ny

Great episode.

I remember this manga chapter, and not even knowing what happened between Akainu and Jimbei. the panel was really crowded from what I remember... hard hard to tell what happened. Looks like he got magma fisted right through the chest, and Luffy got burned as a result.

And Luffy got a big scar on his chest. hmm =P

Also, epic Buggy face. Gotta love it.

Osuwari

Anth0ny said:
Ace's death was good, but the anime team managed to make the death of Merry waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay sadder. Ace's death didn't even come close to that shit ; _ ;

that is the one and only time i have ever shed tears during a cartoon in my life.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Dude, the manga did this so much better, all the Buggy/other filler is annoying. ;_; Still, this was a solid episode and I'm watching because I couldn't tell what the fuck was going on in some of the war in the manga.

I much prefer filler arcs to filler that's integrated within canon since I can just not watch it.

Anyways, I can't wait for *MANGA WAR SPOILER*
Shanks to show up, I hope they do that right
*END SPOILER*

Anth0ny said:
Great episode.

I remember this manga chapter, and not even knowing what happened between Akainu and Jimbei. the panel was really crowded from what I remember... hard hard to tell what happened. Looks like he got magma fisted right through the chest, and Luffy got burned as a result.

I felt that quite a bit of this arc was hard to follow in the manga with so much happening (well Im rereading it as it comes in English). Though, I too just realized how Luffy got hit.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
RagnarokX said:

I don't think that's how anime works in Japan. Major series rarely miss a week. That's why they use filler arcs.

Anth0ny said:
Great episode.

I didn't realize that was how he got the scar. I thought he got it *minor manga spoiler*
during the timeskip.
*/spoiler*

I felt that quite a bit of this arc was hard to follow in the manga with so much happening (well Im rereading it as it comes in English). Though, I too just realized how Luffy got hit.
yeah, me too. there was no sense of place in the manga during the whole war. the anime made it really easy to see where everyone was at all times.

Top Bottom