• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

3dmodeler

Colby was 10 times more annoying in this episode but the surprise appearance of an old pirate made this episode not a complete waste of time.

Yeah, Coby's display of Haki was pretty underwhelming compared to Luffy. Wonder what the new opening is going to be like. Should find out once Shanks puts the Navy in its place.

LaneDS

Dr. Pangloss said:
Yeah, Coby's display of Haki was pretty underwhelming compared to Luffy. Wonder what the new opening is going to be like. Should find out once Shanks puts the Navy in its place.

Any word on when the new opening is happening?

Dr. Pangloss said:
You mean the shout? I'm not sure that was Haki, I think he just shouted really loud.

The hearing voices was definitely Haki/mantra, though.

Maron

LaneDS said:
Any word on when the new opening is happening?

I have a feeling we won't be getting a new opening any time soon.

This one seems fine for covering the flashbacks, but it would be cool if they made one centered on 7 year old Luffy with Ace and Sabo.

Raxus

Hope they stop doing the one chapter stuff now because it is going to get REALLY slow if they don't. Good news is only a handful of chapters remain in this arc.

Maron said:

This one seems fine for covering the flashbacks, but it would be cool if they made one centered on 7 year old Luffy with Ace and Sabo.

I thought they keep openings for really long times, this one is still newish.

LaneDS

Maron said:

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but the post I quoted made it sound like maybe one was coming soon. I imagine we'll get one after the section you described in your post.

zlatko

Banned
CSSer said:
It seems like there's going to be a break, so no new Episode until March 5th.

:( Lame. That whole episode was a giant cock tease. Really crappy all around minus the awesome scene of BB ripping all that stuff up with his powers, and then Shanks at the end.

March 5th feels like forever away.

Entropia

No One Remembers
cosmicblizzard said:
What the, when did they add BB's other crewmates into the OP? Too lazy to check back a few episodes to see how long that's been going on.

When BB went to Impel Down he went there to get new crew mates from level 6, which is where all the worst criminals are located. He had them all fight to the death and then took the winners + Shiryu(the Former head gaoler of Impel Down).

In fact, the entire reason BB became a schibukai was to have access to Impel Down to recruit people from there.

This week's episode was good, but too much Coby crying. This seemed a lot slower paced than the corresponding manga chapter. I stuck through it, because I knew what was coming up at the end! :D

Entropia said:
When BB went to Impel Down he went there to get new crew mates from level 6, which is where all the worst criminals are located. He had them all fight to the death and then took the winners + Shiryu(the Former head gaoler of Impel Down).

In fact, the entire reason BB became a schibukai was to have access to Impel Down to recruit people from there.

I mean in the opening. Before it was just the original 5, but now all the ones he gathered are there. As far as I'm aware, this is the first time in the entire series we've gotten an updated opening.

They really padded this episode up. The corresponding chapter was pretty short, so they filled it up with all those scenes of the battleships getting closer to the submarine, marines and pirates fighting, and Coby crying.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
cosmicblizzard said:
What the, when did they add BB's other crewmates into the OP? Too lazy to check back a few episodes to see how long that's been going on.
I believe they added the new Blackbeard pirates almost immediately after they were introduced. IIRC, the updated opening was first shown with the episode where Whitebeard dies.

cosmicblizzard said:
I mean in the opening. Before it was just the original 5, but now all the ones he gathered are there. As far as I'm aware, this is the first time in the entire series we've gotten an updated opening.
Technically its not the first updated opening for the series, but... well.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfddkMvmLrc

yeah....

Coby was a bit annoying, I have to say that all the BB segments were pretty awesome though.

Curious what they'll do with most of the following episodes.

Neoriceisgood said:
Coby was a bit annoying, I have to say that all the BB segments were pretty awesome though.

Curious what they'll do with most of the following episodes.

I wish the other people with Blackbeard would have had some fighting action instead of just standing there watching him shake the "land and the sky,". I was shocked the sky was actually "shaking"...

I will admit that I'm somewhat curious about the fighting styles of the rest of his crew;

But out of all the secondary groups/characters I feel that we'll get a lot of chances to see Blackbeard's crew properly fight, they're really being built up as main antagonists.

Maron

Dedication Through Light said:
I thought they keep openings for really long times, this one is still newish.

Lately we've only had openings for 20something episodes, so only a few months. I believe we've had this one for over 30, so it may be the longest one in a while. Only opening that was kept really long was the second one.

cosmicblizzard said:

Actually, Toei's done that before. They've done updates with Kaze wo Sagashite (the one right before this one), the We Are Remix, Crazy Rainbow Star, and Brand New World.

I'm wondering if there's any chance of them adding Sabo into the flashback shots of Luffy and Ace.

atomsk

Party Pooper
anyone else having onepieceofficial show up as a "reported attack page"

wtf google, you dun goof'd

edit:
xlQnA.jpg

Xilium

atomsk said:
anyone else having onepieceofficial show up as a "reported attack page"

wtf google, you dun goof'd

Probably got reported by someone that's mad about their favorite non-official One Piece streaming site being shut down. Apparently Funimation and Japanese Anime companies have been going after a lot of the high traffic streaming sites.

Edit: Nevermind, reading the report it seems legit

vhfive

It's been said but not a lot happened this episode. You could have just watched the last 5 min. and gotten everything you need to know out of the episode.

very interested in the next couple episodes though.

Anth0ny

FUNimation actually sued a bunch of fansubbers of One Piece I believe. This is probably retaliation.

Anyways, the episode...

Coby's constant, loud panting and breathing was really fucking annoying. That's some crappy filler right there.

However, he more than made up for it with probably the funniest looking face in anime history. It was hilarious in the manga, and the anime did it justice. God damn LOL.

Awesome ending was awesome, sucks that there's a break now!

Gaaraz

Up to around episode 320ish now maybe, just nearing the arc with
the guy that turns into a cheetah, and they've just done the buster call thing
- have to say I go through periods of loving it and then not watching it for ages... whenever I stop watching it for a month or two I find it really hard to get back into. Not like other shows, maybe it's the subtitles or something? Watched a few episodes and couldn't care less for what's going on right now, but maybe that's just because I spent too long out of it.

Worth persevering with?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
spiderman123 said:
hey does Nami have Haki. She keeps hurting Luffy?!

In an early SBS, Oda said she was "hurting his spirit".
... *realization hits* OH GOD DAMN IT!

blizeH said:
Up to around episode 320ish now maybe, just nearing the arc with
the guy that turns into a cheetah, and they've just done the buster call thing
- have to say I go through periods of loving it and then not watching it for ages... whenever I stop watching it for a month or two I find it really hard to get back into. Not like other shows, maybe it's the subtitles or something? Watched a few episodes and couldn't care less for what's going on right now, but maybe that's just because I spent too long out of it.

Worth persevering with?

Make up your mind youself...you have watched over 300 episodes.

In my opinion, though, absolutely. On the other hand, I cant watch the other shows anymore, apart from HxH, because they are so poorly plotted

MCD

Jinbe:

EVEN IF IT KILLS ME
EVEN IF I DIE
EVEN IF I GET KILLED

Someone kill this old fart already.

Deadly

The guy who voices Shanks is the same guy as Char. The Red Comet and Red-Haired, how fitting. But damn that guy has a badass voice, he gets the most awesome roles.

Anth0ny

Great episode.

-Very good animation. Shanks looked fucking awesome, Kizaru's attack was insane.
-flashbacks... eh. You knew they were coming.
-Pretty funny episode too. Buggy was cracking me up, and I laughed out loud when we saw damn near everyone's crying/stern reaction faces, and then you just see Moria laughing his ass off. Too good.

We'll probably have one or two episodes before the
flashback
. And then that's gonna take a while...

Best part, as pointed out in the manga thread when it happened, was how each of those Red-Haired crew members appeared at the very beginning of the manga.

x1sQE.jpg

nBoOz.jpg

They're gotten a bit beefier in the last seven years.

Top Bottom