• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Treasure Cruise |OT| Golden Hammer ---God--- Usopp

Copons

First turtle time in a loooong time cause of schedules totally incompatible with my work, and finally evolved to Biker Smoker, and goodamn he's powerful.
Straight jumped to being the 4th highest attack in my rooster after Arlong, Mihawk and G3!

First turtle time in a loooong time cause of schedules totally incompatible with my work, and finally evolved to Biker Smoker, and goodamn he's powerful.
Straight jumped to being the 4th highest attack in my rooster after Arlong, Mihawk and G3!

I have so many worthwhile characters to level up.. biker smoker's my plan for when we start getting a different color turtle time each day of the week.

Qmzn

Neo Member
After playing Namco's DBZ game, I really think it's a shame you can only level up units in OPTC by feeding them other units :c Such a tiresome grind.

Strange, that's actually one of the things I like about the game. It adds another element of management, makes you learn what units give more XP, and gives you a reason to maintain a certain amount of Beli.

Maybe I'm just jaded because of Terra Battle, though. That game has an ugly per-battle XP mechanic, based heavily on luck during the stage. There, stages are designed for XP boosting within a specific level range, and one errant slip of the finger can screw you out of your level-ups, whereas in OP:TC, drops are predetermined when I load a stage, and I can complete the stage however I want, with whatever level units I want, without being punished for any minor mistakes. Then, afterwards, I can decide how to allocate all available XP afterwards at my leisure, or hold onto it for an event that maximizes my leveling efficiency.

It's not just, "do this stage on this day, it gives the best XP." I don't like the idea of having a dual XP system like DBZ either. One is enough, keep it simple.

Both feeder unit and per-battle XP systems can be abused by unscrupulous devs and publishers, to be sure, but I've haven't felt like OP:TC is an XP grind. Not yet, anyway. Farming Special levels, on the other hand, sort of blows. I would have liked to have seen those cost a certain amount of Cola based on the character's rarity and the skill's efficacy, just like ship upgrades, or have a shop where you could use Cola to purchase special manuals for characters you have. Then, raid boss stages would drop a ton of Cola. You'd still farm Mihawk for Cola for to MAX his special, but then there would be a reason to continue to farm him, to upgrade other units' specials and your ships.

chrono01

Strange, that's actually one of the things I like about the game. It adds another element of management, makes you learn what units give more XP, and gives you a reason to maintain a certain amount of Beli.

Maybe I'm just jaded because of Terra Battle, though. That game has an ugly per-battle XP mechanic, based heavily on luck during the stage. There, stages are designed for XP boosting within a specific level range, and one errant slip of the finger can screw you out of your level-ups, whereas in OP:TC, drops are predetermined when I load a stage, and I can complete the stage however I want, with whatever level units I want, without being punished for any minor mistakes. Then, afterwards, I can decide how to allocate all available XP afterwards at my leisure, or hold onto it for an event that maximizes my leveling efficiency.

It's not just, "do this stage on this day, it gives the best XP." I don't like the idea of having a dual XP system like DBZ either. One is enough, keep it simple.

Both feeder unit and per-battle XP systems can be abused by unscrupulous devs and publishers, to be sure, but I've haven't felt like OP:TC is an XP grind. Not yet, anyway. Farming Special levels, on the other hand, sort of blows. I would have liked to have seen those cost a certain amount of Cola based on the character's rarity and the skill's efficacy, just like ship upgrades, or have a shop where you could use Cola to purchase special manuals for characters you have. Then, raid boss stages would drop a ton of Cola. You'd still farm Mihawk for Cola for to MAX his special, but then there would be a reason to continue to farm him, to upgrade other units' specials and your ships.
You can still opt to train individual units in Dokkan Battle, but you also get XP just from completing normal stages. It's a nice mixture of both.

However, as people have said, in some ways it's nice that Treasure Cruise doesn't operate in the same way, otherwise those low-level Laboon runs wouldn't be possible [unless you continually farm multiple of him].

Dawg

The thing is... when I get a bunch of new characters in OPTC (after a Sugofest, for example) I always have to farm a bunch of feeder units before most of the new units are viable replacements. And considering turtles are the best way to level up, I always have to wait until next monday. Sucks even more when I forget to do a turtle run on monday or I'm too busy to do one. Especially when the 30 minute time window is during my work hours. Meanwhile I'm stuck with a bunch of underleveled 4* or 5* units.

chrono01

The thing is... when I get a bunch of new characters in OPTC (after a Sugofest, for example) I always have to farm a bunch of feeder units before most of the new units are viable replacements. And considering turtles are the best way to level up, I always have to wait until next monday. Sucks even more when I forget to do a turtle run on monday or I'm too busy to do one. Especially when the 30 minute time window is during my work hours. Meanwhile I'm stuck with a bunch of underleveled 4* or 5* units.
No, I can definitely understand both sides. Maybe an option [EXP Share?] that you could enable so that certain characters can earn EXP from completing quests? In the Japanese version there's a lot more opportunity to earn XP materials [multiple turtle times weekly, so you can both earn different-colored turtles there as well as baby turtles to evolve your XP pigs].

Here's hoping we get the other turtle events soon, as it would make spending the keys we likely have stockpiled a lot more reasonable.

Qmzn

Neo Member
Sucks even more when I forget to do a turtle run on monday or I'm too busy to do one. Especially when the 30 minute time window is during my work hours. Meanwhile I'm stuck with a bunch of underleveled 4* or 5* units.

I can see that. Underleveled units sucked less at the start of global, with easier fortnights and limited story options. I wish they'd hurry up and get to the other turtle times, plus pig drops in fortnights and such.

Still, I found that while I did a lot of turtle time early on, once you've put together some decent teams with Lv. 50+ units and can reliably farm Expert fortnights, turtle time becomes less important. It brings the promise of the occasional Daimyo, plus a lot of trash special manuals. 5000 XP gets a lot of traction in 3 and 4 star units. I'm enjoying the slow burn at the moment, but I know newer players are getting screwed.

I have bigger issues with putting so much power in the hands of the RNG during these turtle times. 4 babies and a Daimyo stings hard. I'd rather they'd just guarantee a single Elder from every turtle stage, by dropping the Daimyos from the last stage. That way, players could sneak in a few runs every week and see decent progress, instead of wrapping their schedule around it, only to get screwed by the RNG over fifteen to twenty attempts.

In general, the RNG should be providing a bonus over a baseline return, not improving a typically-crappy result. The game fails to do that on multiple fronts (i.e. Cobyfest and Sanjifest), but that's the F2P model, I suppose.

We could really use more social media campaigns resulting in multiple-elder giveaways. I feel like we're due.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I can see that. Underleveled units sucked less at the start of global, with easier fortnights and limited story options. I wish they'd hurry up and get to the other turtle times, plus pig drops in fortnights and such.

Still, I found that while I did a lot of turtle time early on, once you've put together some decent teams with Lv. 50+ units and can reliably farm Expert fortnights, turtle time becomes less important. It brings the promise of the occasional Daimyo, plus a lot of trash special manuals. 5000 XP gets a lot of traction in 3 and 4 star units. I'm enjoying the slow burn at the moment, but I know newer players are getting screwed.

I have bigger issues with putting so much power in the hands of the RNG during these turtle times. 4 babies and a Daimyo stings hard. I'd rather they'd just guarantee a single Elder from every turtle stage, by dropping the Daimyos from the last stage. That way, players could sneak in a few runs every week and see decent progress, instead of wrapping their schedule around it, only to get screwed by the RNG over fifteen to twenty attempts.

In general, the RNG should be providing a bonus over a baseline return, not improving a typically-crappy result. The game fails to do that on multiple fronts (i.e. Cobyfest and Sanjifest), but that's the F2P model, I suppose.

We could really use more social media campaigns resulting in multiple-elder giveaways. I feel like we're due.

The game is truly luck dependent. If you're naturally lucky, the game is great. If you're naturally unlucky, the game is bad. I like the game a lot, but I think I'm rather lucky. Bad turtle times are also OK to deal with when you're getting 20 or so runs in a 30 minute span. I'd be stoked if we got an elder a run, since I'd have over 40 elders on Mondays, but that'd be "bad" for the game.

They need to keep the game somewhat balanced, so you just don't "win" if you've been playing since the early global days (that's still totally the case, but it could be worse).

However, when you hit over 90 Stam, farming turtle time is essential to getting ahead. You have to burn gems like they're candy during that time, but 20/40 runs in 30/60 Mins will max characters for raids / fortnights easily.

Qmzn

Neo Member
However, when you hit over 90 Stam, farming turtle time is essential to getting ahead. You have to burn gems like they're candy during that time, but 20/40 runs in 30/60 Mins will max characters for raids / fortnights easily.

See, that's the weird thing... I don't know if I want to aggressively push to get that far ahead of the curve each week, and switch the game over to easy mode. I kind of want to experiment with riding the edge of the F2P/casual wave, keep one foot outside of the min/max party zone, and see where the bottom drops out, and developer/publisher game balancing truly fails. That, plus I'd like to stretch out the experience a bit, try to balance my luck level against my farm level, keep things somewhat challenging, and hopefully let things MAX out a little slower.

I know there's some fun to be had in pushing for the beefiest MAX level teams with Coffin Boats and Moby Dicks as soon as possible, but sometimes I hear Hans Gruber:

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds left to conquer."

chrono01

hoping they sneak one in for global in tomorrows patch. Turtle time is a pain now, have to stop some of my runs to sell or power up cause of lack of space.
The thing is, I think our game was already patched days ago [at least, I remember downloading a pretty massive update a couple of days ago]. It's probably just time-restricted now, with the new islands/snails/etc. coming into effect once it hits their respective times. For the box upgrade, I don't think they can put a time on that, as it's something that needs to be immediately patched in.

I mean, it's still possible for us to get a patch when it rolls over into the 22nd with a Member Box upgrade, but I'm still skeptical.

chrono01

Hey, there's was unannounced, so there's hope for us too.
Nah, we'll get a Cobyfest instead.

Spoiler - It's always a Cobyfest.

Fun fact! I've yet to pull a Coby from the gatcha. I know, I'm as shocked as you are.

Edit - Actually, the more I think about it, they might have just patched it in and are waiting until the event starts to "flip the switch". I mean, it works for Sugofest, it could work here too?

...Damn it, now I have hope again.

Wazzy

Banned
I really hope they sneak the box increase in. I'm almost capped out and one TT pushes me over so that I have to sell or use them before doing my next run. :/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Since i missed my 2nd Turtle Time again....i gotta agree i hope in the future we get another solid method to level up units.

Hana-Bi

So, are there any guides for Lucci (HP, Attack, how many turns can we stall, etc.)?

I want to use a Law/Law team with Pauli, Apoo, Smoker and Mihawk but I don't know if I can burst Lucci down fast enough.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So, are there any guides for Lucci (HP, Attack, how many turns can we stall, etc.)?

I want to use a Law/Law team with Pauli, Apoo, Smoker and Mihawk but I don't know if I can burst Lucci down fast enough.

I was going to suggest to take a look at the Guides on the OP Blog....but man they are so bad at this point and missing tons of details.

http://onepiece-cruise.blogspot.de/2014/10/water-7-dock-no1.html

This was such a great source in the first days of the game but nowadays...i mean how can you have a boss guide without even mentioning the HP of the boss ? Or information on the midboss or random encounter.

Cerity

Pretty much it for me lately. During this event;

10 blamenco skill books? No skill ups
5 Jozu skill books? no skill ups.
20 Kalifa's? 1 skill up
5 Paulie's? no skill ups
5 fire pearl books? 2 skill ups
5 neptunian squid books? 3 skill ups.

Tidd

http://translate.google.com/transla...://xn--pck6bvfc.gamewith.jp/article/show/6476

edit: now it should be the link to guide

This was such a great source in the first days of the game but nowadays...i mean how can you have a boss guide without even mentioning the HP of the boss ? Or information on the midboss or random encounter.

I really recommend gamewith. Yes it is on Japanese but it is understandable with google translation!

Hana-Bi

I was going to suggest to take a look at the Guides on the OP Blog....but man they are so bad at this point and missing tons of details.

Yeah, I read this "guide" and thought wtf!?

http://translate.google.com/transla...://xn--pck6bvfc.gamewith.jp/article/show/6476

edit: now it should be the link to guide

I really recommend gamewith. Yes it is on Japanese but it is understandable with google translation!
Thanks. :)

Yeah, seems like a great guide with all the information needed.

Majukun

so,for lucci it will be the same as with kalifa,only with green guys?

don't know if i have enough good characters of that color...

This is one reason that I've considered making a blog of my own, that focuses just on the strategical side of the game. I want to focus on a bunch of different strategies for each encounter and not just say: "Oh hey, double Whitebeard can beat this easily."

I already registered a blog and started work on it a bit. This gives me that extra bit of motivation I needed to actually get it going though.

This is one reason that I've considered making a blog of my own, that focuses just on the strategical side of the game. I want to focus on a bunch of different strategies for each encounter and not just say: "Oh hey, double Whitebeard can beat this easily."

I already registered a blog and started work on it a bit. This gives me that extra bit of motivation I needed to actually get it going though.
That would certainly be highly appreciated. Sometimes it can be a big hassle trying to look things up and only getting basic info like the blog there.

That would certainly be highly appreciated. Sometimes it can be a big hassle trying to look things up and only getting basic info like the blog there.

The only thing that's held me back is the fact that I have zero artistic talent, so the blog is going to look pretty plain. The more I think about it though, as long as people are getting some good content out of it, it shouldn't really matter.

Going to finish some stuff up at work today, and then I'm going to start working on it.

Hana-Bi

Finally got my second skill up for Paulie. My Law team should be ready now (CD is 18 rounds for Law and Paulie and 16 for Apoo).

RedBoot

Man, I am so XP starved in this game. I don't know how so many of you have multiple maxed characters.

Hitting all your turtle times, I suspect (and gemming on occasion as well).

I've just been raising characters to lv70. It gets really expensive (both for XP and money) from there, and the returns aren't quite as great. I've also been matching turtles to color, which means I have a lot of INT characters at 70, a handful of PSY characters at 50-55 (thanks to the PSY turtle event we just had) and all my STR/DEX/QUI are languishing back in the 30-40 ranges. At least my Mihawk is lv60 thanks to all the clones he got last week.

Top Bottom