• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you all were hyping this up. I'd heard of One-punch Man before but never checked it out-- what a great first episode.

I looked up the original webcomic afterwards and it looks like they could cover everything in about 24 episodes based on the pacing of the first episode. Maybe there will be a second season somewhere down the road.

Glad you all were hyping this up. I'd heard of One-punch Man before but never checked it out-- what a great first episode.

I looked up the original webcomic afterwards and it looks like they could cover everything in about 24 episodes based on the pacing of the first episode. Maybe there will be a second season somewhere down the road.

I hope a second season gets made but honestly, at least from what I've read of the Manga, there's a decent spot they can finish season 1 and let the Manga get more chapters before going to do another season.

That was fun! He is too OP and I'm not sure if we'll get any tension or danger at all with this show (please manga readers don't spoil it) or if its more of character relationships kind of story. The OP and ED were good but they need to grow on me a little bit more.

My first and so far only show of the season, I hope I find other shows as interesting as this one!

As a manga reader myself, don't worry. It seriously only gets better.

Moaradin

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the main character being too OP. They play on that in fun ways and it never gets boring. Plus this series has an awesome supporting cast.

NotLiquid

Weird feeling to describe but the first episode actually made me want to animate.

Promising start so far. I love me some OPM. Getting Madhouse to do this was a fantastic decision.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm liking this show - do they explain why the character has two faces, are they two seperate persons, personalities?

I'm kinda confused by that.

Raxus

I'm liking this show - do they explain why the character has two faces, are they two seperate persons, personalities?

It is a comedy show and Saitama never really gets that invested in many fights because of his ludicrous power level so he constantly has his 'derp' face on.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Oh ok lol ahhahahaha thanks for the clear-up!

I was overthinking it.

dramatis

It's a comedy.

Oftentimes the different art style of Saitama is used to contrast him against all the other very serious characters and villains. The whole point is that he's the strongest man in the world, but he's spectacularly boring-looking and lacking style, compared to your usual flashy Supermans and Iron Mans and Batmans, etc.

Draxal

It's also an inference to the original art style done by ONE instead of the remake manga by Murata (and Murata sometimes apes ONE's style if the comedic moment calls for it).

Incredible episode. Finally, an anime adaption that does Murata's art justice!
I legit didn't think an anime adapt of OPM would, so this has all been really great. OPM has been my favorite manga since Murata's remake kicked off, and along with Berserk it's my favorite series ever. Everyone getting into it now is in for a real treat, assuming the first episode is any indication. :D

I legit didn't think an anime adapt of OPM would, so this has all been really great. OPM has been my favorite manga since Murata's remake kicked off, and along with Berserk it's my favorite series ever. Everyone getting into it now is in for a real treat, assuming the first episode is any indication. :D

If Mad House keeps this up, some of the manga scenes are going to legit blow people's minds. I can't wait.

If Mad House keeps this up, some of the manga scenes are going to legit blow people's minds. I can't wait.

If something pretty straightforward like the dream was in the manga became such an impressive spectacle, then the actually impressive scenes of the manga are going to be one of a kind. Hell the latest events of the web comic that are yet to be adapted to the manga could really be something.

If something pretty straightforward like the dream was in the manga became such an impressive spectacle, then the actually impressive scenes of the manga are going to be one of a kind. Hell the latest events of the web comic that are yet to be adapted to the manga could really be something.

Let's be honest, the dream was animated that way because they needed a super spectacular action scene for the first episode, to get people on the series.

Let's be honest, the dream was animated that way because they needed a super spectacular action scene for the first episode, to get people on the series.

I agree. Plus it is a better joke that way since it not only references a trope (inner monologue, serious face of goofy MC that finally finds a challenge), but excels at doing it while ultimately revealing that they were making fun of the thing.

I agree. Plus it is a better joke that way since it not only references a trope (inner monologue, serious face of goofy MC that finally finds a challenge), but excels at doing it while ultimately revealing that they were making fun of the thing.

I laughed super hard when he woke up with the expression of someone who just had the best dream ever then realized it wasn't real.

Also the part where he collides with the fist yet punches right through it was so hype.

Amazing episode but I feel the anime will be mostly judged by the second ep for consistency sake.

Yeah that's usually how it goes. By ep 3 you'll know what the quality is like (looking at you, AoT...)

The first episode was ok I guess. It comes off as pretty shallow, but I appreciated the sense of fun. I've read the first volume of the manga and the art is great, so I'll probably keep an eye on this because of that alone.

Fuzzery

One punch man here

No you're one punchman pls

Kool_Aid_Man.jpeg

Tatsumaki - VA Aoi Yūki (Madoka Magica's Madoka, Sword Art Online II's Yuuki)

detail_tatsumaki.png

Race: Human
Abilities: Esper
Affiliation: Heroes Association

Tatsumaki appears to be a rather small thin woman with short, curly, green hair. She wears a long dress that separates into 6 sections a little below the waist. She usually has an expressionless face, with partially closed eyes.

Tatsumaki is shown to be a very powerful telekinetic. She is capable of effortlessly lifting hundreds of large boulders and stopping a very powerful bombardment attack from an alien spaceship. She also uses her telekinesis to float and fly. She is considered to be one of the most powerful heroes and Esper alive.

Good to see Schierke from Berserk aged well.

6I8MA5c.jpg

ChryZ

Off to a great start, they really managed to pack a lot into the first episode, like 3-4 chapters? Amazing manga, good adaptation, a couple of key moments cracked me up like clockwork.

Parshias7

Thats part of the charm really. You feel no investment because you know he's always going to win, so making it a one punch battle is funny.

Its impressive how long OPM stays interesting when almost every confrontation is the same set-up:

Villain appears > starts showing off power > could Saitama lose? > lolno

If they do the whole House next episode they'll have one of my favorite variations of this right at the end.

I wonder how far they'll go in this anime. I'm guessing through the
alien
bit that wrapped up not too long ago in the Murata version. They already added some filler (pretty sure the car dude was filler) to pad things out.

daydream

Banned
Thats part of the charm really. You feel no investment because you know he's always going to win, so making it a one punch battle is funny.

yeah, there's a fine line here between reproducing the boredom or making that ennui interesting, though

it worked ok for the first encounter, not quite as well for the giant man

Waiting for the manga to catch the web comic to see those cool ideas look amazing.
Waiting for the Anime to catch the manga to see those amazing looking parts animated.

yeah, there's a fine line here between reproducing the boredom or making that ennui interesting, though

it worked ok for the first encounter, not quite as well for the giant man
Just because there aren't stakes for the titular character it doesn't mean other characters can't get rekt. Regardless the show is just as much a comedy whenever he's involved. And fights in general are visual delights.

In fact I'd argue the action scenes are there specifically for eye candy and nothing more.

There is no fight against the giant man, it is more like exposition of sort. The intend is that now you know that every time you see something that already looks weaker than him, you know there won't be a fight. The audience is intended to pick up when a fight will end before it begins from now on.

daydream

Banned
Just because there aren't stakes for the titular character it doesn't mean other characters can't get rekt. Regardless the show is just as much a comedy whenever he's involved. And fights in general are visual delights.

In fact I'd argue the action scenes are there specifically for eye candy and nothing more.

i don't disagree, at all, but i wasn't necessarily referring to the stakes, rather the function of those scenes

anyway, those were just my impressions based on one episode, i need to see how they treat that motif going forward before making further judgements

Qvoth

just watched, as someone who totally love the manga... that was kinda meh?
wtzgU.gif

maybe it's because i already knew all the story or something i dunno
i'm guessing season 1 will end before garou arc (which is the 1st really good arc imo)

just watched, as someone who totally love the manga... that was kinda meh?
wtzgU.gif

maybe it's because i already knew all the story or something i dunno
i'm guessing season 1 will end before garou arc (which is the 1st really good arc imo)

have you read manga prior to watching anime before? You're not going to be watching it with fresh eyes, and with manga many people read it like RIGHT before so it's still relatively fresh and already a visual medium.

For book adaptations it wouldn't be a smart idea to read the book like RIGHT before the movie comes out.

jett

D-Member
The first episode was really awesome, fun, and weird.

I'm guessing there will be a plot of some sort later on. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom