• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHK3

Banned
Source readers are annoying in general.

The constant teasing is just... ARGH.

Just let us enjoy the show on our own terms.....

Funny enough, this show filled the void JoJo left for me, and now even the thread is going the same way. Where people posts questions and then source readers reply with fucking ';)' faces or 'JUST WAIT UNTIL NEXT EPISODE'. It got pretty damn bad and I find it even worse here where half the page is spoiler boxes...

It's nice of you to decide for other people what kind of information they should view as spoiler...

Oh, wait.

Manga discussions have no place in an anime thread. It's as simple as that.
Discussing future plot points from the manga is one thing, but the manga is tied to the anime in a way that avoiding discussing it completely is impossible. Whether you have people asking how long the manga is, how far the anime is in relation to it, manga sales and how they relate to future anime seasons, people becoming interested in the manga because of the anime, people asking questions about the manga/Murata/ONE, etc etc etc.

My own way of handling this is ignoring questions that ask about future stuff, and only discussing the manga as far as the anime itself has adapted it.

Edit:

Yeah, that's completely fair.

I find it equally annoying when anime watchers ask questions in the anime thread about things that happened in the manga.

If you want to know something that hasn't happened yet, go to the manga thread or the dedicated wiki.

Yeah. Fair point.

Squalor

Discussing future plot points from the manga is one thing, but the manga is tied to the anime in a way that avoiding discussing it completely is impossible. Whether you have people asking how long the manga is, how far the anime is in relation to it, manga sales and how they relate to future anime seasons, people becoming interested in the manga because of the anime, people asking questions about the manga/Murata/ONE, etc etc etc.

My own way of handling this is ignoring questions that ask about future stuff, and only discussing the manga as far as the anime itself has adapted it.
None of that is content, though.

That's the point. The content is what spoiler is.

This was posted in the other thread
bc0.jpg

Siegcram

There's no point to discuss that since it's a false equivalency.

A scenario in which people chose to watch an official trailer for a movie is completely different from people who come into an anime thread and wind up bombarded with information from the manga because some manga readers don't know when to shut up.
Both treat their presumptions as fact and then cry spoiler.
One has 3 mins of footage of a 90 minute movie and this thread has names and black bars.

I'm with you on blatant plain-text plot spoilers and untagged images, fuck those; but at the same time people can be asked to scroll past a few spoiler bars and people speculating about the budget.

There's space for both parties to have conversations while using right etiquette and the inherent forum functions. That's probably enough about this subject.

Draxal

None of that is content, though.

That's the point. The content is what spoiler is.

A lot of this could be avoided if people stopped asked leading questions, left leading comments etc etc etc. However, I do understand that this is really a frustrating medium to discuss the show/book, especially since the anime started to foreshadow stuff even more heavily than both versions of the manga did (.ie the shout outs to the Srankers in episode 1).

FluxWaveZ

Started this yesterday, and caught up today. I didn't really look into it, so I was surprised and bummed to learn that this is only 12 episodes long, and that I jumped in right before the end. At least it seems the manga's ongoing, so I'll be able to check that out once it's over.

Great show. I don't really like Tornado, but she's had a few cool moments.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Started this yesterday, and caught up today. I didn't really look into it, so I was surprised and bummed to learn that this is only 12 episodes long, and that I jumped in right before the end. At least it seems the manga's ongoing, so I'll be able to check that out once it's over.

Great show. I don't really like Tornado, but she's had a few cool moments.

I'm pretty sure she's created to be disliked. A purposefully obnoxious personality. Didn't like her to begin with either. Though, character arcs and all that.

Squalor

Why is that?
Because she's (so far) nothing but a walking, talking loli cliché.

It's a shame the one female with any screen time (which is also a problem) is reduced to such a pandering role.
A lot of this could be avoided if people stopped asked leading questions, left leading comments etc etc etc. However, I do understand that this is really a frustrating medium to discuss the show/book, especially since the anime started to foreshadow stuff even more heavily than both versions of the manga did (.ie the shout outs to the Srankers in episode 1).
I've already addressed that people who ask content-based questions are annoying and should just go to the manga thread or check the dedicated wiki.

However, manga readers should just ignore those questions.
Both treat their presumptions as fact and then cry spoiler.
One has 3 mins of footage of a 90 minute movie and this thread has names and black bars.

I'm with you on blatant plain-text plot spoilers and untagged images, fuck those; but at the same time people can be asked to scroll past a few spoiler bars and people speculating about the budget.

There's space for both parties to have conversations while using right etiquette and the inherent forum functions. That's probably enough about this subject.
But they're still completely different scenarios and are therefore a false equivalency.

There's nothing presumptuous about people's talking about things that will occur in the anime since they already occurred in the manga.

If you want to talk manga content, take it to a manga thread. It's simple as that.

Russ T

Banned
I don't consider that a spoiler. Spoiler means knowing the outcome beforehand, not speculating something may or may not be important based on black bars. Same goes for names without context. Also not a spoiler.

Most of the time spoiler paranoia is more annoying than actual spoilers these days.

Spoiler culture sucks. Don't even get me started on that. I hate it with a passion.

HOWEVER.

When a group of people ask you to stop talking about a thing that should be off-topic, and is actually legitimately a spoiler for future events in the thing they're enjoying...

Why wouldn't you just stop? Why would you try to fight it? It won't kill people to take that conversation where it belongs (the catch-all webcomic thread!). So just do that...?

Dio

Banned

It's a shame the one female with any screen time (which is also a problem) is reduced to such a pandering role.

The anime hasn't gotten to the point where Fubuki and Tatsumaki get more screentime yet. You can't really blame the series for that one, they get their chance.

Squalor

The anime hasn't gotten to the point where Fubuki and Tatsumaki get more screentime yet. You can't really blame the series for that one, they get their chance.
They can reduce the latter's screen time to zero as long as the first one has actual development beyond threadbare stereotypes.

Still, they've found time to give a naked homosexual molester some depth, so I'm not fully going to buy into the "can't blame them" game just because there are only twelve episodes.

Dio

Banned
They can reduce the latter's screen time to zero as long as the first one has actual development beyond threadbare stereotypes.

You're going to get more than you expect outta their relationship (they are sisters, after all.) In fact, in the webcomic the current arc is entirely focused around them.

midramble

Yeah, the loli thing is weirdly applied to the anime. Doesn't really come across in the manga and web comic which is why I think most fans of the latter don't see it.

As for the screen time. Really no one gets much screen time except for Saitama.

Also she is intentionally obnoxious for character arc reasons I think. You vehemently dislike spoilers... but I'll say this, I like her now. (assume nothing from that)

Not

Banned
"OK" moment is first time they really nailed something from the comics. But if you were going to nail one thing, that was it

Holy damn, are we still talking about Tatsumaki

Maedhros

Still, they've found time to give a naked homosexual molester some depth, so I'm not fully going to buy into the "can't blame them" game just because there are only twelve episodes.

God...

They are adapting a manga. They didn't show anything about her character in the manga either, early on.

Since they are adapting the manga, they won't make scenes just to satisfy your personal taste.

Russ T

Banned
God...

They are adapting a manga. They didn't show anything about her character in the manga either, early on.

Since they are adapting the manga, they won't make scenes just to satisfy your personal taste.

None of that means people can't dislike her current portrayal in the anime. She's a goddamn walking cliché and it's perfectly reasonable to find her annoying.

Squalor

God...

That means nothing in regard to refuting the criticism.

It just means the criticism is also true of the source material.

However, it seems her characterization and sexualization have been exaggerated some (and unfortunately) for the different medium.
The point of Tatsumaki character is that you are suppose to hate her , just like everyone in the show.
That is a cheap cop out.

Maedhros

None of that means people can't dislike her current portrayal in the anime. She's a goddamn walking cliché and it's perfectly reasonable to find her annoying.

Neither I'm saying that you guys can't hate or whatever you guys want.

Personally, I enjoy her character design (yes, even though it's pandering, it's sexy).

I was talking about character development. Since her character hasn't developed on the manga, they won't add it just to make you guys happy. Wait for season 2 or continue to hate her or whatever, just know that in this arc, she won't get any development (besides showing off her power and annoying personality).

Russ T

Banned
However, it seems her characterization and sexualization have been exaggerated some (and unfortunately) for the different medium.

(The sexualization is there in the Murata version, too. Have a look at the manga volume 10 cover for a particularly egregious example.

The original webcomic doesn't sexualize anyone, though.)

Neither I'm saying that you guys can't hate or whatever you guys want.

Personally, I enjoy her character design (yes, even though it's pandering, it's sexy).

I was talking about character development. Since her character hasn't developed on the manga, they won't add it just to make you guys happy. Wait for season 2 or continue to hate her or whatever, just know that in this arc, she won't get any development (besides showing off her power and annoying personality).

You can't just tell someone to "wait" for the character development to come around. This is some people's only One Punch Man experience, and they may not necessarily want to read the comic, ever. There may not even BE a season two, ever! So for them, Tatsumaki is, and will always be, this character. And, no, season two, if it happens, won't address her story, either, because it probably won't reach that far in the story, so that's an odd thing to say.

Actually, the sexualization came from Murata, here's an example of that:

142780395967539rpa.png

Of course you can find way more suggestive poses, but if you read the webcomic, the way Tatsumaki is portrayed doesn't give any kind of sexual vibe.

midramble

Unfortunately this is what discussion of this series has devolved to. Which is why I don't enjoy reading this thread.

We can just avoid the ensuing battle.

Speaking of which, was that mumen rider scene in the manga/webcomic? I don't remember that and it made me like his character even more.

142780395967539rpa.png

Of course you can find way more suggestive poses, but if you read the webcomic, the way Tatsumaki is portrayed doesn't give any kind of sexual vibe, just an obnoxious little brat.

MCD

142780395967539rpa.png

Of course you can find way more suggestive poses, but if you read the webcomic, the way Tatsumaki is portrayed doesn't give any kind of sexual vibe.

She just looks like a good looking woman instead of that thing on the left.

Can't we all just agree that she's supposed to be unlikable but can still be endearing to some due to her issues with confidence and VA doing a good job? It's like angry puppy type of situation, you know they're mad but it's funny.

midramble

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo BECAUSE she's a shitty character, you're not allowed to dislike her and want her gone for being a shitty character?

Of course you're allowed to dislike her. (I don't think anyone can allow or disallow something like that). Want her gone..... well give crappy characters a chance to change. That's the point of character arcs.

Reminds me of Simon in TTGL. (my favorite character)

FluxWaveZ

Can't we all just agree that she's supposed to be unlikable but can still be endearing to some due to her issues with confidence and VA doing a good job? It's like angry puppy type of situation, you know they're mad but it's funny.

Well, I'm not too familiar with the general opinion of certain elements of this show, but I would think some understand that she's designed to be the way she is perceived as, but they still dislike her despite this. The concept of characters made to be unlikable yet endearing is a common one, but it can still be done in a way that the character just doesn't resonate at all with someone.

Squalor

Unlikable characters don't have to be cliché, and they don't have to be devoid of depth.

She's an adult who acts and looks like a petulant child.

There has yet to be a reason to enjoy/respect her character and characterization.

It's not a matter of liking her as a person. The writing for her is just really bad so far.

Crocodile

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo BECAUSE she's a shitty character, you're not allowed to dislike her and want her gone for being a shitty character?

This conversation is going in circles. Nobody is making the argument that people are supposed to like her. In fact, almost everybody agrees that she's a pissant, annoying twerp (and she was clearly designed to be that way). If you want insight into her character, that won't come until much later in material this season won't touch. Since this isn't the thread to talk about such future developments what else is there to say? People are getting tired of this because a dead horse is being beaten here. What is there to say that is new or insightful about this topic now?

Unlikable characters don't have to be cliché, and they don't have to be devoid of depth.

She's an adult who acts and looks like a petulant child.

There has yet to be a reason to enjoy/respect her character and characterization.

It's not a matter of liking her as a person. The writing for her is just really bad so far.

That usually comes later with character development which isn't always delivered as soon as a character is introduced. This is pretty common with all of fictional media. There's nothing you can do but wait it out.

Russ T

Banned
Well, I'm not too familiar with the general opinion of certain elements of this show, but I would think some understand that she's designed to be the way she is perceived as, but they still dislike her despite this. The concept of characters made to be unlikable yet endearing is a common one, but it can still be done in a way that the character just doesn't resonate at all with someone.

Exactly. It's strange to me that people are having a hard time understanding this.

The people who dislike Tatsumaki know that she's intentionally made to be an annoying brat. That doesn't mean she gets a free pass, just because it's intentional.

This conversation is going in circles. Nobody is making the argument that people are supposed to like her. In fact, almost everybody agrees that she's a pissant, annoying twerp (and she was clearly designed to be that way). If you want insight into her character, that won't come until much later in material this season won't touch. Since this isn't the thread to talk about such future developments what else is there to say? People are getting tired of this because a dead horse is being beaten here. What is there to say that is new or insightful about this topic now?

You're not even responding to my post. There are people who don't like Tatsumaki. Some of these people wish she didn't exist at all. They don't want INSIGHT, they want her GONE. The defense is often that they should just wait for some nebulous possible future where the anime introduces something that MIGHT change the mind of the haters. That's bullshit.

Squalor

Oh wow, I assumed she was 15 or something. And then I checked the OP.

I see.
Exactly...
Every time someone brings her up because she showed up in the most recent episode, you guys on her/the creator's defense force make it a matter of the utmost importance to try to refute the criticisms.

That's how it goes in a circle.

midramble

She's kind of like a villain. Mean, devoid of depth, purposely hate-able. But you can't get rid of villains because that removes the foil.

She is a self-centered powerful child (mentally and represented physically for effect) who demands attention and respect in contrast to Saitama who is omnipotent and does it for himself because he wants to. She is a wind that howls at the mountain something something cannot bow or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom