• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a line between voicing your concerns and complaints about an aspect of a show in a discussion and being relentlessly insufferable about something you snarkily go on about ad nauseam.

Some of you crossed that line after your first damn post.

Cels

started watching the show, liking it a lot so far.

there are only 12 episodes planned total? are they going to continue later for a season 2 (or more) or is that it? sorry if this is dumb i don't know much about how anime gets renewed, if that's even the right word

Russ T

Banned
There's a line between voicing your concerns and complaints about an aspect of a show in a discussion and being relentlessly insufferable about something you snarkily go on about ad nauseam.

Some of you crossed that line after your first damn post.

There's also a line between disagreeing with someone's concerns about an aspect of a show in a discussion and being relentlessly defensive about something they snarkily go on about not wanting to go on about ad nauseam.

started watching the show, liking it a lot so far.

there are only 12 episodes planned total? are they going to continue later for a season 2 (or more) or is that it? sorry if this is dumb i don't know much about how anime gets renewed, if that's even the right word

Yeah, there are 12 episodes. It's possible a second season can happen. This is an adaptation, so they need material. They are adapting the redraw manga (Murata) from the original webcomic (ONE.) The webcomic is far ahead of the manga.

There's also a line between disagreeing with someone's concerns about an aspect of a show in a discussion and being relentlessly defensive about something they snarkily go on about not wanting to go on about ad nauseam.

Good thing barely anyone is doing that 2nd one.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
How are people even mad over Tatsumaki? She's a side character with barely any screen time. I don't even find her to be sexualized either... you'd think people were watching a completely different show. You guys watching prisma illya by mistake?

DeaviL

Banned
OPM is so popular that i couldn't even avoid it if i wanted to.
Anything even slightly related gets OPM comments, anything totally unrelated gets OPM comments.

Just tell me it has already earned its second season.

Draxal

Anything even slightly related gets OPM comments, anything totally unrelated gets OPM comments.

It's earned it, but the material isn't there yet.

The one thing I love about this adaptation is there's so much foreshadowing done here for manga readers. Random King being placed around episodes before he's introduced, the S rank characters being shown on TV earlier.

Russ T

Banned

Someone addressed your question a few posts ago, so I'll just quote it so I don't have to tyep it myself!

Yeah, there are 12 episodes. It's possible a second season can happen. This is an adaptation, so they need material. They are adapting the redraw manga (Murata) from the original webcomic (ONE.) The webcomic is far ahead of the manga.

Squalor

It's earned it, but the material isn't there yet.

The one thing I love about this adaptation is there's so much foreshadowing done here for manga readers. Random King being placed around everywhere.
By virtue of the definition of "foreshadow," it's done for the people who don't know what's coming up.

How are people even mad over Tatsumaki? She's a side character with barely any screen time. I don't even find her to be sexualized either... you'd think people were watching a completely different show. You guys watching prisma illya by mistake?
Vnsn0Xd.png

C'mon. I hate to add any more fuel to this Tatsutopic, but I honestly do not see how anyone can deny she's sexualized in the show and the manga.

I couldn't even begin to watch that show after seen some promotional art, it was absolutely disgusting seen what?, 10 year olds doing poses in underwear?.

Jesus.

Anyway, OPM, action is great, Saitama is funny, Genos is cool, Tatsumaki a shit, Fubuki and Sonic best girls.

Crocodile

You're not even responding to my post. There are people who don't like Tatsumaki. Some of these people wish she didn't exist at all. They don't want INSIGHT, they want her GONE. The defense is often that they should just wait for some nebulous possible future where the anime introduces something that MIGHT change the mind of the haters. That's bullshit.

Exactly...

Every time someone brings her up because she showed up in the most recent episode, you guys on her/the creator's defense force make it a matter of the utmost importance to try to refute the criticisms.

That's how it goes in a circle.

If the argument is "I don't like her characterization" what responses are there besides "they actually go into this but its in spoiler territory so I can't talk about it here" or "ok"? Like how many million of characters in fictional history have an unappealing introduction but then you eventually find out more about them as a series goes on? I mean if Neon Genesis Evangelion ended after say episode 10, how would the discussion of Askua's character change? A lot right? This is a natural consequence of what happens in a discussion where not everybody is as informed as everybody else since some people have read the webcomic and are thus talking from a perspective of more knowledge.

I feel like people are trying to argue that they don't like her because she's poorly written when in reality its just the characteristics she has check their particular, personal dislikes and because they dislike her they try to fit the narrative that it must because she is poorly written. I mean it's A-OK to not like the tropes she personifies (I don't either) but there's a point where it just becomes insistent and repetitious. This character doesn't deserve this much attention.

Cmon..... The slits on her one piece dress go up too high, she doesn't appear to be wearing any underwear and they even animated her bare ass in her first real appearance.

Good thing barely anyone is doing that 1st one.

I just like... can't you let people have opinions? :

I'll quote myself from a couple pages ago.

Me said:
Criticism is great. It's wonderful. It drives the medium forward.

Complaints are great. They let you relieve tension over something bothering you. They let you relate with others over something getting in the way of your enjoyment.

Both are great and should be a part of any thread.

But also...just because you critique or complain doesn't mean it's well thought out, worthy of discussion, important or interesting. Not everyone has to listen to your complaint if it's garbage. Most people in threads know how to disseminate a worthwhile complaint or opinion from a useless, shitty one.

Everyone is free and invited to complain and critique as much as their heart desires. But just cause everyone has an opinion doesn't mean everyone has an opinion worth listening to

What's fucking stupid is I actually agree with Squalor and you on a number of your issues with the show.

Squalor

There are going to be so many One-Punch Man costumes at next year's conventions. Should be good.

I don't care what knowledge you have from the manga. It's irrelevant here.

She is what she is. That's unfortunate. She looks the way she looks, which is really unfortunate.

As of right now, it doesn't matter what pieced-together sob story she has for her background.

Dio

Banned
They did?? I don't remember that.

This I can get behind though. More Sonic pls

It was a single frame that the animators snuck by the production team and it was apparently said not to do that kind of thing because it'd get Twitter screenshots near instantly.

If the character doesn't deserve this much attention, stop defending her every time someone else brings up not enjoying the character.

She is what she is. That's unfortunate. She looks the way she looks, which is really unfortunate.

As of right now, it doesn't matter what pieced-together sob story she has for her background.

Your incendiary tone really isn't making things better here. Cool down a little and stop antagonizing people who are simply telling you that she's a common case of 'you hate them when you first see them, and then the narrative expands on them as a character.'

Cmon..... The slits on her one piece dress go up too high, she doesn't appear to be wearing any underwear and they even animated her bare ass in her first real appearance.

It was a single frame that the animators snuck by the production team and it was apparently said not to do that kind of thing because it'd get Twitter screenshots near instantly.

And I'll repeat that just in case, it was ONE (no pun intended) frame that showed that, I didn't even realized that happened until after watching the screenshot posted here.

Russ T

Banned
I'll quote myself from a couple pages ago.

What's fucking stupid is I actually agree with Squalor and you on a number of your issues with the show.

What's even stupider is I agree with you re: people being relentless with their opinions! Sometimes you just have to let things drop, for sure.

But it's happening on both sides. ):

Squalor

Your incendiary tone really isn't making things better here. Cool down a little and stop antagonizing people who are simply telling you that she's a common case of 'you hate them when you first see them, and then the narrative expands on them as a character.'
I haven't antagonized anything.

And you must be inferring a tone I am not implying.

The only thing that I have been annoyed about is manga content.

Chariot

I couldn't even begin to watch that show after seen some promotional art, it was absolutely disgusting seen what?, 10 year olds doing poses in underwear?..
I see, you are enjoying your 10 year olds without underwear?

Seriously though, this thread gets ugly whenever ya talk about Tatsumaki. Just don't think it's pretty clear that there are two very different opinions about her. Keep talking about it and spinning in a circle of hatred just grinds this topic into the ground.

Haha I know. I want it too, but, uhhhhhh...

Etsy has some fan-made Oppai hoodies since I don't think there's official merchandise, if I ever bought one I'd only wear it to hang out with friends because you'd likely get stares and angry looks from folks. I wonder if someone will ever sell the hoodie with like red hand sections haha. That's probably the closest you could get to OPM clothing without being kicked out.

Crocodile

There are going to be so many One-Punch Man costumes at next year's conventions. Should be good.

Ok let's stop beating around the bush. Nobody in this thread really has that big an issue with her characterization. Her diminutive nature is an interesting and humorous contrast with her actual power set and her bratty nature plays into not only this diminutive stature but the fact that she thinks she's hot shit because well.......she actually is one of the most powerful characters in the cast.

What actually bothers anyone is her outfit and any other claims of "bad writing" are just obtuse ways of discussing this point. If she wore a more sensible, not form-hugging outfit, this thread would be 10-20 pages shorter. The people who don't recognize the issues with her outfit or aren't bothered by it at all can probably be counted on one hand. There isn't really any disagreement here. While the argument, "what about real life women who are petit?" is actually fair to a point, this show isn't made in a vacuum. We are all aware that some segment of the audience likes to "skirt the line" in this regard and some content providers are all to happy to satisfy those demands. Be it inadvertently or advertently (i.e. what's probably happening here) Tatsumaki plays into that. That's the only issue and that's always been the only issue.

To that end, I think responses of "you aren't supposed to like her at first" and "there is more than meets the eye but you have to wait" are fair responses. We are all mostly on the same wavelength with regards to the outfit.

FluxWaveZ

Ok let's stop beating around the bush. Nobody in this thread really has that big an issue with her characterization. Her diminutive nature is an interesting and humorous contrast with her actual power set and her bratty nature plays into not only this diminutive stature but the fact that she thinks she's hot shit because well.......she actually is one of the most powerful characters in the cast.

Disagree. What bothers me is her character, not her outfit.

If that improves in the future, fine. But I can only express my opinions on what I am aware of now from the anime.

Sealed

Banned
I see, you are enjoying your 10 year olds without underwear?

Seriously though, this thread gets ugly whenever ya talk about Tatsumaki. Just don't think it's pretty clear that there are two very different opinions about her. Keep talking about it and spinning in a circle of hatred just grinds this topic into the ground.

yes can we please stop talking about it

nothing is going to change

Russ T

Banned
skirt the line

hehehe

Etsy has some fan-made Oppai hoodies since I don't think there's official merchandise, if I ever bought one I'd only wear it to hang out with friends because you'd likely get stares and angry looks from folks. I wonder if someone will ever sell the hoodie with like red hand sections haha. That's probably the closest you could get to OPM clothing without being kicked out.

Haha, I don't think I'd even wear it around my friends, to be honest. But damn do I want it anyway. D:

lol at my University I see people wearing shit way worse then the Oppai hoodie. I used to have a Death Grips - The Money Store shirt that I lost of the album's cover that had nudity on it and all I ever got was compliments

lol at my University I see people wearing shit way worse then the Oppai hoodie. I used to have a Death Grips - The Money Store shirt that I lost of the album's cover that had nudity on it and all I ever got was compliments

Maybe but I REALLY don't want to risk going to like a movie theater and getting kicked out for inappropriate clothing. If it were just me who cared I'd get over it, but my friends would be really bothered by it if I wore that in public.

Shame really. It's a great hoodie.

I might buy some t-shirts or a hoodie with his simple face on it or something.

Squalor

What actually bothers anyone is her outfit and any other claims of "bad writing" are just obtuse ways of discussing this point. If she wore a more sensible, not form-hugging outfit, this thread would be 10-20 pages shorter. The people who don't recognize the issues with her outfit or aren't bothered by it at all can probably be counted on one hand. There isn't really any disagreement here. While the argument, "what about real life women who are petit?" is actually fair to a point, this show isn't made in a vacuum. We are all aware that some segment of the audience likes to "skirt the line" in this regard and some content providers are all to happy to satisfy those demands. Be it inadvertently or advertently (i.e. what's probably happening here) Tatsumaki plays into that. That's the only issue and that's always been the only issue.

To that end, I think responses of "you aren't supposed to like her at first" and "there is more than meets the eye but you have to wait" are fair responses. We are all mostly on the same wavelength with regards to the outfit.
Wrong. She's written poorly, so her characterization is bad.

I was never beating any bushes. I've said that from the beginning.

The loli design is also an issue, but it comes second to her characterization.

Can we move past this now? Yes her character has issues, some don't like it. Complaining about it isn't going to solve it, our opinions won't change the industry, let's discuss something else. Like the sweet merchandise.

Russ T

Banned
The sweet merchandise I'll never buy. ;_;

Actually I want that Saitama nendo. I don't normally like nendos, but that one's like perfect.

Sealed

Banned
Now that I know what the Oppai hoodie means I wouldn't want to wear it in public lol

I didn't even realize it was supposed to be boobs until a week or two ago, idk if that makes me oblivious or not haha

I think it would be ok for other people to wear in public though, it's not really offensive or anything imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom