• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
OPM has done consecutive normal punches, punched a dudes armor off before...hope he ends this dude in one punch.

Do they really count as punches if you're holding back so much that you're basically barely tapping your opponent, as far as you're concerned?

duckroll

Attack on Titan's success comes from having a good first episode and an awesome OP that received tons of parodies.

Nah. Attack on Titan was already super popular before the anime ever happened. It was on day time talk shows in Japan regularly, and something non-otaku were already aware of.

Nightbird

I don't know what is funnier:

the ones who always try to compare OPM to Dragonball, or the ones who try to downplay the comparisons. I'll probably settle for the later one, but those discusions are always entertaining to read

VPI5Ts2.png

duckroll

Talking about in the West

It was already being pushed in the west before the anime even aired. I'm sure all the memes helped, but it is foolish to think that it was not going to be a huge thing regardless of the opening song. :p

I don't even like Attack on Titan overall, but I find it odd that a lot of people try to downplay the fact that the franchise is successful on the merits of the author having a really fucking good concept which he managed to execute with just enough competency for it to actually tap into the potential it had. That's something to respect in any creative field.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
i still like HSoTD, even with the pervy bits, but I wish they had either excised them or found a better balance.

It's adapted from the Shoji Sato manga... that's Digital Accel Works / Inazuma! You're talking about sucking the soul, the very spirit.. out of the show man!

I don't know what is funnier:

the ones who always try to compare OPM to Dragonball, or the ones who try to downplay the comparisons. I'll probably settle for the later one, but those discusions are always entertaining to read

VPI5Ts2.png

it's also funny because both of the saitama vs dbz character comics have to incredibly nerf and pretend that saitama wouldn't just wreck them with one punch. They don't understand gag character > serious character.

Jintor

It's adapted from the Shoji Sato manga... that's Digital Accel Works / Inazuma! You're talking about sucking the soul, the very spirit.. out of the show man!

I understand, but stuff like 'every girl has the exact same giant breasted body type' gets visually uninteresting pretty quickly.

At least vary your ecchi

It was already being pushed in the west before the anime even aired. I'm sure all the memes helped, but it is foolish to think that it was not going to be a huge thing regardless of the opening song. :p

I don't even like Attack on Titan overall, but I find it odd that a lot of people try to downplay the fact that the franchise is successful on the merits of the author having a really fucking good concept which he managed to execute with just enough competency for it to actually tap into the potential it had. That's something to respect in any creative field.

Even has someone who half likes half tolerates AoT but I still feel like the OP and pre Eren "dies" episodes did the most for the show easily

Even has someone who half likes half tolerates AoT but I still feel like the OP and pre Eren "dies" episodes did the most for the show easily

I had to stop reading AoT around chapter 80ish when I realized this premise isn't going anywhere any time soon. The pacing is abysmal, like even worse than Bleach was for years.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I saw an AoT bus pass holder for sale yesterday. Nothing says 'made it in the UK' like having your own bus pass holder.

As someone who also still reads Bleach, I disagree. Bleach is waaaaaaaay worse then AoT could ever sink

January 1: Man this new fight is about to pop off with Uryuu and this crazy dude with interesting powers.

July 1: They're still fighting, oh hey here's Renji! He got a power-up, looks like this fight is about to get insane!

December 31: How is this fight still going on? What the hell it wasn't his final form?!

Dio

Banned
Attack on Titan is basically a zombie anime. Zombie shows (regardless of where in the world you are) are a dime a dozen (though they tend to be popular). Also if you got up to episode 10 and were bored, don't bother because you've already seen the best the show has to offer. There a few peaks later on but overall meh.

Actually, Attack on Titan was heavily inspired by Muv-Luv (which in turn was inspired by stuff like Starship Troopers and Gundam), to the point of the author straight up saying it and drawing one of the mecha from that series fighting a Titan.

There are a hell of a lot of similarities, and it hasn't gone unnoticed.

jstripes

Banned
I was at a Hot Topic store the other day (don't ask), and there was AoT merch up the wazoo there. AoT commands the attention of the kiddos and the masses. You can cosplay the characters, and look cool. It has angst and friends and stuff. Until something like OPM can do those things it'll never be the titan that AoT is. Not that it ever needs to be, or should be.

Don't forget the #1 draw for that audience: Shipping.

gAg CruSh3r

So... season 2 of OPM will be in 2 or 3 years? :(...

Episode 11 was great! I can't wait for the last episode (with excitement and sadness).

Sami+

I could see OPM overtaking AoT eventually but honestly really liked AoT. Not getting the hate. It had flaws to be sure but for the most part it was enjoyable. There are a few climactic moments that I definitely remember almost had me jumping out of my chair.

Even if they could go ahead and adapt ONE, I'd rather wait for the Murata version because it seems to flesh out the arcs and give more character development to the sides.

I don't know about that; aside from the original arc the redrawn manga is doing right now and the bonus chapters (that the anime isn't adapting anyway), I think Murata's version is identical to the webcomic in terms of narrative.

If I was the author of one punch man. I would kill off mumen rider in the most brutal way. I hate him, his stupid bike, and everything that he stands for.

I don't hate mumen rider. He is just very boring and I don't see the appeal of him. Would rather see more of the mustache hero. That guy is legit.

Squalor

Next week is the end?

I can't deal with this right now.

Lord Boros is straight out of Dragon Ball Z, haha. Hell, even his name sounds like something from the show. I hope he can deliver an entertaining battle next week.

Reset

Next week is the end?

Lord Boros is straight out of Dragon Ball Z, haha. Hell, even his name sounds like something from the show. I hope he can deliver an entertaining battle next week.

He reminds me of Broly. Must be the hair/name haha

Tecl0n

Next week is the end?

I think he is a hair highlight away from a YGO character.

It depends of which manga we are talking about.

There is enough for a S2 if we are talking about the original manga, or barely a dozen chapters if we are talking of the Murata version.

If I thought the Murata version would have the next Arc covered by the end of next year, I would expect another OPM 'season' but I don't see that happening.

How "far ahead" is the manga relative to where this season will leave off?

Not enough angst for that show, haha.
About 6 or 7 episodes worth of content ahead. The anime will end at about the half way point of where Murata is now in the manga, chapter wise. S1 had a very obvious ending point with Boros, though. It would be impossible to create a S2 with a similar clear cut finale as the next arc is rather long and has only now kicked off in Murata's adaptation.

Squalor

That's very disappointing. Sucks there won't be another season for a while. Overall, the show has been great so far.

At least I still have Ushio to Tora for a few more months.

If I thought the Murata version would have the next Arc covered by the end of next year, I would expect another OPM 'season' but I don't see that happening.
I think he could do that, easy, assuming he focused only on the next arc. But with the (completely awesome) detours the manga is taking from the webcomic there is no telling when he'll get around to concluding that story. Maybe he'll actually work super hard on getting it done now that the anime is about to end, per his twitter.

I think he could do that, easy, assuming he focused only on the next arc. But with the (completely awesome) detours the manga is taking from the webcomic there is no telling when he'll get around to concluding that story. Maybe he'll actually work super hard on getting it done now that the anime is about to end, per his twitter.

That would be nice. I don't mind the little asides he has taken but I question the placement. If he wants to have some fun with side material, do it between major arcs, not right after getting the next arc started.

How involved and how well compensated is the creator of the webcomic in regard to the manga and anime?
Involved? Very. Murata is primarily just the artist for the manga. ONE still writes the story, even the manga only content (another reason we can't exactly call the new manga stuff "filler"). Going from their interviews they appear to work pretty closely as a team.

I'd like to think ONE is also doing well with OPM's success.

Edit:

You know what I really hate? DBZ fans. They're always trying to prove how Goku is better than other characters.
There are plenty of stupid gifs in which Goku stops Saitama's punch. Or stupid jpegs.
Sigh.
I've been seeing some of those too. Makes me slip into Genos mode for a bit. They're so stupid.

You know what I really hate? DBZ fans. They're always trying to prove how Goku is better than other characters.
There are plenty of stupid gifs in which Goku stops Saitama's punch. Or stupid jpegs.
Sigh.
At least they could stick to forums. Like I do when it comes to Fallout, lol.

Squalor

Sigh.
Why let it get to you, though?

Some guys made some silly GIFs. Oh well.

V-Faction

Watching OPM has been so fun and fascinating. I recall being highly worried about the anime doing justice to the Murata version in terms of visual details. Heck, that's probably what drew a lot of people to that particular version. It was absolutely vital that they nail it.

And now here we are, the OPM anime is on it's way out and people are craving more. Success achieved! And I would dare to say this has been one of the finest series to ever grace history. From ONE's writing to the original concept to its humor to Murata's designs and details to the hardwork and effort put forth by the team to accomplish something spectacular...

Dahbomb

Sigh.
DBZ fans salty that OPM is 100 times better than the Dragon Ball Super stuff.

Probably still feeling the ether from having Goku lose to Superman twice in a row on death battle.

Caderfix

The show is awesome and Saitama is one of my favorite characters now, but there are two things that I hate:
1 - How much of a douche everybody is to Saitama, even though a lot of them saw him OWNING his oponents and saving the planet. That goes to both the citizens and heroes.

2 - Tatsumaki. I can't stand that kind of character, it's just annoying with no reason to be like that. Lolis usually are what I dislike the most in anything that comes from japan. Anytime she's on screen the show gets considerably worse, to me.

Other than those two points, wow, what an awesome ride.

The show is awesome and Saitama is one of my favorite characters now, but there are two things that I hate:
1 - How much of a douche everybody is to Saitama, even though a lot of them saw him OWNING his oponents and saving the planet. That goes to both the citizens and heroes.

2 - Tatsumaki. I can't stand that kind of character, it's just annoying with no reason to be like that. Lolis usually are what I dislike the most in anything that comes from japan. Anytime she's on screen the show gets considerably worse, to me.

Other than those two points, wow, what an awesome ride.

I dunno, I thought she was pretty bad ass in the most recent episode. I'd never even considered the loli aspect to her character. Maybe I'm just dim.

The citizens are dicks and don't believe Saitama can do all of this because they can't comprehend how a caped baldy low rated hero can be as powerful as he is when their whole world revolves around rankings and pretty boy superheroes saving the day.

It'd be nice if more people acknowledged his strength but hey they'll eventually do it once he's a high ranking a class or S class hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom