• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
The show is awesome and Saitama is one of my favorite characters now, but there are two things that I hate:
1 - How much of a douche everybody is to Saitama, even though a lot of them saw him OWNING his oponents and saving the planet. That goes to both the citizens and heroes.

2 - Tatsumaki. I can't stand that kind of character, it's just annoying with no reason to be like that. Lolis usually are what I dislike the most in anything that comes from japan. Anytime she's on screen the show gets considerably worse, to me.

Other than those two points, wow, what an awesome ride.

wrong

Russ T

Banned

Well, it's not like her character will be explained in the anime before this season ends, or even with the next season, assuming it covers the arc we all think it'll cover.

So it's not exactly an unfair opinion to hold. Right now, based on the anime, she has no reason to be like that, other than it's a trope.

To be perfectly fair to the citizens, they were initially misled into believing Saitama was a fraud by the jealous Tank Tops, and it only grew worse from there.

Caderfix

I'll look forward for the reason moving forward then, but as of now she's the part I dislike the most in the entire show.

Well, it's not like her character will be explained in the anime before this season ends, or even with the next season, assuming it covers the arc we all think it'll cover.

So it's not exactly an unfair opinion to hold. Right now, based on the anime, she has no reason to be like that, other than it's a trope.

Yes, precisely. I hope to be proven wrong, but think I'll have a hard time liking the character even after the explanation.

Sami+

Yeah I really wanna see Saitama finally get praise for being as helpful as he is. The Spider-Man shtick is good for a bit but gets frustrating by proxy lol.

Squalor

Whatever the "reason" is, she's still a terrible cliché with an awful personality.

I adore Tats as a character but could do without how Murata drew her. It isn't her diminutive stature that people find offensive; It's how blatantly and relentlessly she's sexualized despite appearing to be a child.

Come to think of it, almost all of the things about OPM that people find objectionable stem from the manga and not ONE. Puri Puri's prison chapter, making Darkshine look more like caricature and as opposed to a regular black dude in ONE's, and turning Tatsumaki into a loli. I don't enjoy the series any less but I totally understand how some stuff can turn others off a bit.

Edit: And yes I know Darkshine isn't actually black, before anyone comments on that.

Russ T

Banned
Whatever the "reason" is, she's still a terrible cliché with an awful personality.

I'm not going to argue with that, as it's an entirely subjective thing. I find her to be a fun character, but I totally get that other people don't!

I adore Tats as a character but could do without how Murata drew her. It isn't her diminutive stature that people find offensive; It's how blatantly and relentlessly she's sexualized despite appearing to be a child.

Come to think of it, almost all of the things about OPM that people find objectionable stem from the manga and not ONE. Puri Puri's prison chapter, making Darkshine look more like caricature and as opposed to a regular black dude in ONE's, and turning Tatsumaki into a loli. I don't enjoy the series any less but I totally understand how some stuff can turn others off a bit.

I'm... not sure it's wise to start that whole argument again. I agree with you, but that's just going to take this thread bad places, as some people try to have a serious conversation, and others complain about how the conversation is ruining converstations and then people have to respond, and then it becomes a whole thing...

Squalor

I'm interested in where things go after this. I mean, we have a villain who has traveled the universe for dozens of years and has destroyed everything in his path, and he's likely not even close to being a match for Saitama.
Like time, this thread is a flat circle.
But is it as flat as her character?

Unlike the poster above me, I meant her characterization. Both are acceptable, though.

I'm... not sure it's wise to start that whole argument again.
You're totes right.

Here's some cool OPM fan stuff instead.

tumblr_nzcatyxzxo1toafxno1_500.gif

Squalor

I hope Iaian can get another arm.

His character was enjoyable for the short time he was on screen, and he's clearly quite talented.

I mean, hell, if Genos can get put back together after all the damage he has received, Iaian should be able to get an arm somehow.

Caderfix

I hope Iaian can get another arm.

His character was enjoyable for the short time he was on screen, and he's clearly quite talented.

I mean, hell, if Genos can get put back together after all the damage he has received, Iaian should be able to get an arm somehow.

I actually think it'll be better if he stays with only one arm. Seeing him getting better and becoming a top tier hero with just one arm would be pretty cool, in my opinion.

Macka

It's incredibly annoying to have manga readers constantly hint at things or feel the need to correct what other people have said based on stuff that hasn't happened in the anime yet.

I mean, somebody a few pages back said it was cool that Boros survived a punch, and several people quoted him with spoiler tags. Hell, some people don't bother with tags. Same thing happened when somebody said they felt Saitama wasn't the one referenced in the prophecy.

Makes it kinda obvious guys. :/

Squalor

It's incredibly annoying to have manga readers constantly hint at things or feel the need to correct what other people have said based on stuff that hasn't happened in the anime yet.

I mean, somebody a few pages back said it was cool that Boros survived a punch, and several people quoted him with spoiler tags. Same thing happened when somebody said they felt Saitama wasn't the one referenced in the prophecy.

Makes it kinda obvious guys. :/
Manga readers are annoying as fuck with this.

No matter what website I go to, no matter what the anime is, any anime thread is always inundated with manga readers talking about shit that hasn't happened in the anime yet.

I don't even care if it's in spoiler tags, it still has no place in an anime thread.

Squalor

Agreed. I know I've been guilty of this, but generally because I'm responding to other people. I try not to initiate it myself.

The worst is this has been brought up a million times and still people don't listen. ):

There's a manga/webcomic thread now, by the way.

Go there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875909
Yeah, that's completely fair.

I find it equally annoying when anime watchers ask questions in the anime thread about things that happened in the manga.

If you want to know something that hasn't happened yet, go to the manga thread or the dedicated wiki.

No matter what website I go to, no matter what the anime is, any anime thread is always inundated with manga readers talking about shit that hasn't happened in the anime yet.

I don't even care if it's in spoiler tags, it still has no place in an anime thread.

manga readers are nowhere near as bad as aSoIaF readers.

And I say that as someone who has read the novels. It's always a fucking inside joke/pun and a nudge nudge wink wink

jstripes

Banned

The Jojo thread specifically said, in its title, not to discuss manga spoilers. Maybe that should be applied here.

Siegcram

The Jojo thread specifically said, in its title, not to discuss manga spoilers. Maybe that should be applied here.
Well, it didn't exactly work over there, either.

Adaptations will always have people comparing them to the source material. It is what it is.

Kieli

Source readers are annoying in general.

The constant teasing is just... ARGH.

Just let us enjoy the show on our own terms.....

Siegcram

You can compare content.

Talking about or hinting at unseen events is another thing entirely.
Comparing includes talking about differences and omissions.
And obviously excitement about favourite parts in the future.

Especially with the spoiler bars on GAF, it's no that big of an issue, imo.

caesar

Banned
Cant believe some people are actually discussing power levels, its completely irrelevant as soon as Saitama is in the equation. He's a gag character, he could punch all of the S class, goku, superman, kenshiro etc whatever into a parallel dimension at the same time. Don't try and justify it in your salty head.

Squalor

Comparing includes talking about differences and omissions.
And obviously excitement about favourite parts in the future.

You're still talking about two separate things.

Comparing how a fight scene goes down is completely different from talking about characters and plot points and fights that haven't happened yet.

I don't understand how that's difficult to grasp.

Russ T

Banned

Even just seeing spoiler bars can sometimes give away a plotpoint, as people respond to reactions with a spoiler bar, implying that this or that is important, etc.

And, if a sufficient amount of people don't like it (as seen time and time again in this thread), then yes, it is a problem!

Instro

Unfortunately it's why I tend to stay away from anime threads with an ongoing manga.

Siegcram

Even just seeing spoiler bars can sometimes give away a plotpoint, as people respond to reactions with a spoiler bar, implying that this or that is important, etc.
I don't consider that a spoiler. Spoiler means knowing the outcome beforehand, not speculating something may or may not be important based on black bars. Same goes for names without context. Also not a spoiler.

Most of the time spoiler paranoia is more annoying than actual spoilers these days.

Squalor

I don't consider that a spoiler. Spoiler means knowing the outcome beforehand, not speculating something may or may not be important based on black bars. Same goes for names without context. Also not a spoiler.

Most of the time spoiler paranoia is more annoying than actual spoilers these days.
It's nice of you to decide for other people what kind of information they should view as spoiler...

Oh, wait.

Manga discussions have no place in an anime thread. It's as simple as that.

Mudcrab

Source readers are annoying in general.

The constant teasing is just... ARGH.

Just let us enjoy the show on our own terms.....

Honestly it's why I avoid this thread for the most part. More than one instance of "if you think that's cool just wait until episode [X] when [X] shows up!" and other annoying totally not spoilery things

Instro

Spoilers only a part of the issue. Shitting up the thread with lengthy post strings of black bars that only 2-3 people will read is incredibly annoying.

Squalor

Spoilers only a part of the issue. Shitting up the thread with lengthy post strings of black bars that only 2-3 people will read is incredibly annoying.
You mean it's not cool to alienate the people this thread was made for?

No way. Hahaha.

Siegcram

It's nice of you to decide for other people what kind of information they should view as spoiler...

Oh, wait.

Manga discussions have no place in an anime thread. It's as simple as that.
Well, words mean things. This is the same as the people whining in the BvS trailer thread. Information (and seeing spoiler bars is barely that) without context isn't a spoiler.

Squalor

Well, words mean things. This is the same as the people whining in the BvS trailer thread. Information (and seeing spoiler bars is barely that) without context isn't a spoiler.
There's no point to discuss that since it's a false equivalency.

A scenario in which people chose to watch an official trailer for a movie is completely different from people who come into an anime thread and wind up bombarded with information from the manga because some manga readers don't know when to shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom