• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

gaiages

Banned
Guess that first OKC did have a catch, after all. :/ Got a text from him today saying all the typical 'it's not you it's me' stuff--not ready for a relationship, just prefers to be alone, etc. Damn.

Back into the thick of things, I suppose. Although, it'd be cool if these 40 yo+ people would stop messaging me. :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Guess that first OKC did have a catch, after all. :/ Got a text from him today saying all the typical 'it's not you it's me' stuff--not ready for a relationship, just prefers to be alone, etc. Damn.

Back into the thick of things, I suppose. Although, it'd be cool if these 40 yo+ people would stop messaging me. :p

What the hell? "Prefers to be alone?" Are you his first and only date? He better be removing his profile after that, too. What an awful excuse.

Does the age range restriction stop those messages? I remember one girl who told me she got messages from people old enough to be her dad.

She texted me this morning, said I'm a great friend, she loves the piercings and she wishes that we'll be friends forever.

It's a weird situation, and I'm so weak.

gaiages

Banned
What the hell? "Prefers to be alone?" Are you his first and only date? He better be removing his profile after that, too. What an awful excuse.

Lol, he said he saw another girl a few days before he hung out with me. Weak excuse indeed.

Does the age range restriction stop those messages? I remember one girl who told me she got messages from people old enough to be her dad.

No, unfortunately. :( I have mine set from 21-30. It's a little annoying, as the 40yos are the most persistent about sending more messages after being ignored, from my (very limited) experience. One even made a joke about him being too old for me. >.>

@gaiages

He's probably BS'ing you, just cut your losses and move on!

Sure am! Gonna get back into the thick of OKC after work ;D

She texted me this morning, said I'm a great friend, she loves the piercings and she wishes that we'll be friends forever.

You don't need a friend like her, she sounds sorta manipulative imo. You said she likes to be spoiled, right? What can she provide you in a friendship? Ask yourself that before you continue to talk to her. If you wanna actually be friends, great, but don't go spending your money on her or anything.

Sounds like it didn't work out. Sometimes there's just no clicking, which is better to find out sooner, I guess. I wish people wouldn't spout platitudes as it makes it sound worse. I'd rather be alone? Fuck that. You deserve a better response than that. Everyone does.

When I was the breakup'er I always said "you were great, but I'm not feeling a connection" or something along those lines. Always got a really positive response, except for one time.

Don't be friends, just block her and move in. It's not worth it. You had a few fun dates, got some more experience, just leave it at that and move on. Plenty of fish in the sea even if it doesn't always look like that all the time. Got to look out for yourself and do what you want, you don't owe anyone anything.

Rad-

Been getting back to dating through online apps/sites and damn girls can really pick the best pics huh. The last 2 I met looked very different IRL than in their pics.

It's not a weird situation, you're just continuing to be a pushover. You literally yourself said there's nothing there for you, why have you not moved on? Cut contact and move on.

stn

Normally I'd tell people to cut contact, but in Chewie's case I'd say he keep her as a friend with certain caveats. My thinking is that being able to talk to girls more and on a friendly basis might help with the anxiety he has? He just has to make sure he's not paying for anything else and that he has her respect as a friend.

Normally I'd tell people to cut contact, but in Chewie's case I'd say he keep her as a friend with certain caveats. My thinking is that being able to talk to girls more and on a friendly basis might help with the anxiety he has? He just has to make sure he's not paying for anything else and that he has her respect as a friend.
Honestly I think this is a terrible idea. Until he's willing to to put up personal boundaries it will just be a huge detriment. She will be more than willing to have him buy/pay for stuff and he won't have the self respect to blow her off and instead will try rationalize it by saying he's too nice. It's a toxic "friendship if you can even call it that" and will do nothing to help him talk to women or build his own self worth. This isn't the type of situation you want to be in to better understand and communicate with women.

Salamando

That just sounds like a bad idea. Being friends with a girl, with whom you've had sex, while she'll continue to have sex with multiple people, just not you...but she'll still ask to cuddle. A girl who also seems to conflate affection with buying stuff for her (if her relationship with her ex-ex is any indication).

I definitely couldn't do it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

In theory I would agree but in this case this girl is toxic and insane, so no.

Lulubop

Had a date, wasn't feeling it but she cut it short. I feel some kinda way. She was like I'll be free next week I was like k.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm pissed. Two incredible girls in a row, it takes until we're deep into conversation for them to admit to me they're not seeking relationships at all and are just using dating platforms as an easy way to meet people. Yeah, let the system feed you interested men, then see if you can twist them into friendship so you get the attention you're looking for. Ugh.

Gray Matter

I'm pissed. Two incredible girls in a row, it takes until we're deep into conversation for them to admit to me they're not seeking relationships at all and are just using dating platforms as an easy way to meet people. Yeah, let the system feed you interested men, then see if you can twist them into friendship so you get the attention you're looking for. Ugh.

Why not try and be friends?

I'd be upset too, but it's always good to meet new people.

I know the feeling

I don't get why women love to use dating sites to find new 'friends.' That's not a great place to find a good, heterosexual friendship. Sure, a lot of them are likely willing to date if that friend ends up being the one or potentially the one, but still.

Dating sites should be for those interested in dating or hooking up.

ATF487

Had a good first date tonight! I think we got along pretty well, but even if nothing comes of it it's just nice to have an enjoyable evening out tbh

stn

The "I want friends" thing is an excuse, guys. In most cases it usually means I want to be friends with you because I'm not romantically into you. Its just the simplest excuse that doesn't make the rejection too hard.

I know the feeling

I don't get why women love to use dating sites to find new 'friends.' That's not a great place to find a good, heterosexual friendship. Sure, a lot of them are likely willing to date if that friend ends up being the one or potentially the one, but still.

Dating sites should be for those interested in dating or hooking up.
Yeah, this is code for 'sorry, not interested in dating you'. Don't take it too bad, it happens. And you'll do the same to other people also. I know I have. Not everyone you'll meet will want to date you and you don't want them to say that to your face. Just like 'we should do this sometime again' doesn't really mean you'll get a second date.

And I should take some of my own advice and go on cheaper dates again. At least I'm saving enough credit card points the past weeks...

GrizzNKev

Banned
The "I want friends" thing is an excuse, guys. In most cases it usually means I want to be friends with you because I'm not romantically into you. Its just the simplest excuse that doesn't make the rejection too hard.

Yeah, this is code for 'sorry, not interested in dating you'. Don't take it too bad, it happens. And you'll do the same to other people also. I know I have. Not everyone you'll meet will want to date you and you don't want them to say that to your face. Just like 'we should do this sometime again' doesn't really mean you'll get a second date.

And I should take some of my own advice and go on cheaper dates again. At least I'm saving enough credit card points the past weeks...

Nope. I'm still in contact with both of them and neither are dating anyone. One relocates often for work and doesn't want to start anything, the other deleted her okc account when I told her how I felt about how she was misusing the service.

Nope. I'm still in contact with both of them and neither are dating anyone. One relocates often for work and doesn't want to start anything, the other deleted her okc account when I told her how I felt about how she was misusing the service.

OKC has an option for looking for friendship so how is it misusing the service?

stn

I've seen this similar situation too many times. I wouldn't be surprised if they both disappear at one point and just resurface on other dating sites. The girl deleted her profile because she most likely felt insecure since you caught her in a lie. Although, technically OKC can be used for friendship.

I get that you were frustrated but you shouldn't "lecture" people about how to do something. Nobody will take that well, especially someone who doesn't know you. If a girl tells you she's not interested, regardless of what her reasons may be, just acknowledge politely, delete the number, and move on.

Be the guy that doesn't give a shit and is able to move on immediately.

Soi-Fong

Some of you guys really take this wayyyy too seriously. You shouldn't be letting any of this stuff hurt you. All of us have rejected someone and got rejected ourselves. You just gotta put up with that. Online dating isn't anything like normal dating.

Also, you can use Okcupid to make friends. No one likes being lectured to. Remember, in online dating no one has any obligation to anyone especially before even meeting.

You'll meet girls who just want attention, but that's just a part of it. I personally see it as them wasting their time. Sure, you get a lot of guys ogling at you, but what does that get you other than an inflated ego.

gaiages

Banned
I got two numbers, from two different people of course, after I said that I knew how to play Guilty Gear Xrd.

That's... not quite what I was expecting, but okay. :p

Makai

Some of you guys really take this wayyyy too seriously. You shouldn't be letting any of this stuff hurt you. All of us have rejected someone and got rejected ourselves. You just gotta put up with that. Online dating isn't anything like normal dating.

Also, you can use Okcupid to make friends. No one likes being lectured to. Remember, in online dating no one has any obligation to anyone especially before even meeting.

You'll meet girls who just want attention, but that's just a part of it. I personally see it as them wasting their time. Sure, you get a lot of guys ogling at you, but what does that get you other than an inflated ego.
Yeah, nobody owes you anything and they don't need to explain themselves.

stn

I got two numbers, from two different people of course, after I said that I knew how to play Guilty Gear Xrd.

That's... not quite what I was expecting, but okay. :p
Tell me you can play either Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat and I'll give you my number, too. ;)

Just got out of a relationship a few weeks back and getting back into dating. I met my last GF on OKC and figured I'd use it again. Seems mostly the same. I got the Tinder app, but I'm not sure about it. I tried POF before, but didn't really like it. Any apps/sites or tips for a newcomer?

EDIT: Ah, I see some sites/apps in the OP. I'll try out CMB app. I never tried one of the pay sites, are they any better than the free ones or is it mostly the same process?

DeVeAn

Going on a 3rd date with this woman I met on match and tinder. I trip out when I talk to her as she is very smart. Not used to that but, its like a challenge and exciting. Not sure what I want though as just got out a long relationship. I know that I like her so I am just gonna go with the flow. Wish me luck Gaf!

nitric0

Has anyone gone out with someone that's older than you? I'm 27 and she's 28, I usually date girls 3-5 years younger than me so I don't know how to approach this.

Has anyone gone out with someone that's older than you? I'm 27 and she's 28, I usually date girls 3-5 years younger than me so I don't know how to approach this.
Going out with a girl about 5 years older then me now. It's really not that different I think. Just be the same you always are.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, I found a cute girl near where I live on OKCupid, she's 28, and she comes from the same area as my mom (Long Island, NY).

She's a Yankees fan, though. Not a total turn-off, but I like ripping on that team.

BIGWORM

Age is only an issue if you make it out to be one. My ex was 8 years older and we had no issues. Occasional laughter about stuff though.

Ex before my current girlfiend was 20 years older than me. A bit of a culture shock, but nothing more outside of that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I wonder what its like dating a gaffer.

PM a list of your top 100 games and we will go from there.

Top Bottom