• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Gray Matter

Usual me would normally be either angry or upset that I haven't gotten a reply yet, but I'm not, and thinking of sending another text to see what's the deal, but I'm handling this particular rejection pretty well.

AcridMeat

Banned
Usual me would normally be either angry or upset that I haven't gotten a reply yet, but I'm not, and thinking of sending another text to see what's the deal, but I'm handling this particular rejection pretty well.
That's a great sign Gray Matter, build off of that. And hell why not send one more, just put 'em out of your thoughts afterward. It's on them.

It's a great feeling when you can deal with rejection better like that. At the end of the day it's nothing. Keep on self improvement.

Gray Matter

That's a great sign Gray Matter, build off of that. And hell why not send one more, just put 'em out of your thoughts afterward. It's on them.

It's a great feeling when you can deal with rejection better like that. At the end of the day it's nothing. Keep on self improvement.

I was in the process of slowly quitting online dating until I matched with her on tinder and thought I had a decent chance of something happening.

Still stings a bit, however.

AcridMeat

Banned
Online dating is p shitty tbh. However it's definitely helped build a wide variety of experiences and types of personalities which is useful.

Zelias

Banned

Yep, I feel like, even if I haven't had tons of success with online dating, it's still done wonders for my confidence and my ability to handle rejection.

That said, I do have a date on Saturday which I'm really looking forward to. First date with a girl on OKCupid too :p

Lulubop

If you do send another one, suggest a time and date in it.

Xpress keeps sending me notifications. Now, since I haven't used it in months, it's given me full access for free. I'm tempted to check it out again, but I don't know if it's even worth the time.

I only joined because it was the highest rated dating site on a review site my friend trusts.

I only looked at it on my phone, because I'm wary of viruses and its no cancellation policy is worrying.

I have, however, been talking to a few girls on other apps. A couple seem somewhat interested, and I just asked one out.

Lulubop

Have a date with a Spanish teacher today, she's really cute in her pictures. She's really into Latin culture and I guess Latin dudes. Seems to be a theme with the white girls I've had dates with, not that I'm complaining. Happy someone got love for us. Really excited about my museum date with a Dominican girl tomorrow. We just have a ton of common interest.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Why are you talking to someone who you are clearly not interested in? You wouldn't like someone doing that to you too. Don't waste peoples time.

I should elaborate a little bit, she was the one who initiated the conversation, so I did feel like I should respond even though she's a little, ah, not my type.

Zelias

Banned
I should elaborate a little bit, she was the one who initiated the conversation, so I did feel like I should respond even though she's a little, ah, not my type.
Eh, if a girl sends me a message and I'm not interested in her I just don't respond. I kind of understand the feeling that you should respond, out of politeness or whatever, but I don't see the point in stringing anyone along if they're hoping for something more than just a chat.

It's like when I message a girl and don't get a response. They're not interested and they've no obligation to carry on a conversation with me, so it's no big deal.

Symphonia

Banned
She's got a double chin tho.
That's bullshit, and you know it. If someone approaches you in the street and starts talking to you, but you don't like the look of them, you'd walk away. Online dating is no different. You have access to her profile and photos, so you'd know if you like her or not. Why give her false hope when you clearly have no intention of taking it any further? Seems rather pointless in my opinion, not to mention rude.

Jokab

What is you guys' opinions on girls that use bad grammar, spelling and/or punctuation in text? Actually a huge turn-off for me for some reason. Being able to express yourself and spelling properly is a very attractive quality for me.

BIGWORM

What is you guys' opinions on girls that use bad grammar, spelling and/or punctuation in text? Actually a huge turn-off for me for some reason. Being able to express yourself and spelling properly is a very attractive quality for me.

Same. 'Nam sayin?

Lulubop

Date today was pretty whack, def wasn't feeling it.

Date yesterday wants to hang out again, though I;m having a hard time thinking up a second date.

stn

Maybe I'm a total dick but I will disqualify those who don't use proper grammar. I can forgive mistakes easily but I feel its all part of presentation. I want someone who takes pride in appearing coherent.

Maybe I'm a total dick but I will disqualify those who don't use proper grammar. I can forgive mistakes easily but I feel its all part of presentation. I want someone who takes pride in appearing coherent.

Not a dick move at all. Everyone has disqualifying factors: the ability to cogently present oneself in writing is a viable criterion. I couldn't ever date anyone who wasn't a grammar nazi, basically.

gaiages

Banned

I feel the same about guys. Typos or some shortened words are alright, but the inability to string together a proper sentence is a huge turn-off for me. Hell, I even put that in my OKC profile :p

Symphonia

Banned
Same, correct usage of grammar and punctuation is extremely important to me. I don't know whether it's because of my educational background or the fact my hometown is steeped in history regarding literature, but spelling and grammar have always been a redeeming quality in potential partners. Misuse of it wouldn't deter me completely, but it would have me question their IQ and, subsequently, their ability to have and maintain a lengthy conversation.

Gray Matter

I agree with you guys, an innocent grammar error isn't a deal breaker, but I've stumbled upon profiles where the person deliberately uses improper grammar, that is a deal breaker.

Also, it really isn't that hard.

Symphonia

Banned
I agree with you guys, an innocent grammar error isn't a deal breaker, but I've stumbled upon profiles where the person deliberately uses improper grammar, that is a deal breaker.

Also, it really isn't that hard.
Oh, come across plenty of those on OKCupid. If those kind of people send me a message, you can guarantee that I'll ignore it and delete it. It doesn't take much time or effort to spell words correctly, and you make yourself seem more intelligent, approachable, and attractive if you do so. Those who rely on txt tlk 2 typ lyk dis just aren't worth the time of day, in my opinion.

Does anyone use Hinge? Up until yesterday I was getting 20+ profiles a day and now I'm getting a message saying there aren't any people in my area. It's been like this since yesterday AM when I first loaded it up. Is the app broken?

Jhoan

Does anyone use Hinge? Up until yesterday I was getting 20+ profiles a day and now I'm getting a message saying there aren't any people in my area. It's been like this since yesterday AM when I first loaded it up. Is the app broken?
I signed up for Hinge several months ago but realized it's completely bullshit even here in NYC that it's not really worth it. I would say to delete your account and stick to OKC/Tinder/PoF or whatever other online dating service is big in your area.

I signed up for Hinge several months ago but realized it's completely bullshit even here in NYC that it's not really worth it. I would say to delete your account and stick to OKC/Tinder/PoF or whatever other online dating service is big in your area.

Why do you say its bullshit? Not get any matches?

Gray Matter

Well, here I am trying again, even if failure is certainly guaranteed.

Anyway, came across this girl on OKC, profile is well written, but her "details" section is empty, got a bad feeling about that. She's cute, she's also 4 years older than me.

Problem is, I literally do not know what to say, there's nothing in her profile in which I can base off. A simple "hello" is frowned upon, so that isn't an option. Any other alternatives?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I usually follow this order, when trying to come up with questions/openers:

1) Something from their profile.
2) Something from their photos.
3) If both 1 and 2 are barren/a no go, a out-of-left-field type question.

stn

Well, here I am trying again, even if failure is certainly guaranteed.

Anyway, came across this girl on OKC, profile is well written, but her "details" section is empty, got a bad feeling about that. She's cute, she's also 4 years older than me.

Problem is, I literally do not know what to say, there's nothing in her profile in which I can base off. A simple "hello" is frowned upon, so that isn't an option. Any other alternatives?
Ask any kind of random/funny question you can think of. Or make some random comment that contains humor and leads into banter. Use a person's lack of information as a way to open your imagination. Any kind of "different" message is better than the usual shit, y'know?

Be creative and fun, because those are qualities you'll need to survive dates, anyway.

Salamando

If you're creative and/or funny, make up a story or something about their life, using only the details in their pics. End it by asking how close you were.

Flip4k

Had a really great date last night. While I was walking her to her car she even asked if I was free to do something tonight, I wasn't, but it felt pretty damn awesome to have a girl ask for another date themselves. She mentioned that she would text me anyway to see what I was up to.

This girl had been texting me a ton since I got her number last week, mostly initiating herself. She asked a lot of questions about me, all the good signs. Today I was trying to see how her day was and she was replied with short answers and absolutely no questions. A completely different tone then all of last week.

I've met a good number of girls this year so I can smell a fade from a mile away. I hope I'm not premature in this feeling, as I really like her, but unfortunately I basically come to expect this even after good dates...

Symphonia

Banned
Had a really great date last night. While I was walking her to her car she even asked if I was free to do something tonight, I wasn't, but it felt pretty damn awesome to have a girl ask for another date themselves. She mentioned that she would text me anyway to see what I was up to.

This girl had been texting me a ton since I got her number last week, mostly initiating herself. She asked a lot of questions about me, all the good signs. Today I was trying to see how her day was and she was replied with short answers and absolutely no questions. A completely different tone then all of last week.

I've met a good number of girls this year so I can smell a fade from a mile away. I hope I'm not premature in this feeling, as I really like her, but unfortunately I basically come to expect this even after good dates...
Don't jump to conclusions, she might just be having an off day. Time of the month, etc. Just keep replying to her, ask her some questions yourself, let her know you're interested. Keeping her hooked is essential at this moment in time.

Jhoan

Why do you say its bullshit? Not get any matches?

It never worked for me in my experience. Never got any matches back when I was active on the dating scene. Tinder and OKC were the main ones I had luck getting dates/numbers from but I've taken a break from dating to focus on my personal life/professional goals.

Is there a relationship gaf? I met my wife on match and we've been married a short time (dated and lived together for over 4 years), but she had bad crohns flare up over the last year or so (and had ostomy surgery). I've tried to be as supportive as possible, but I honestly don't remember the last time we had sex. Probably a year and a half ago at least. I'm fucking depressed. I'm angry at myself for not being stronger. We didn't even have sex on our honeymoon. We tried but it didn't work on her end. At this point I'm just ready to throw the towel in. Sorry - I didn't know where else to post this.
Try posting it in the Dating-Age thread since a lot more people there are in a relationship/marriage or have relationship experience.

Koobion

Does anybody feel like putting too much of your personality or flare into a description of yourself/interests can work against you? You don't want to be bland, but yet sometimes people could think you're nuts - LOL. Personally I find it attractive, and it gets me interested in talking to the person behind it. Reading wall after wall of text talking about how people love their families and like to party is wearing on me.

Top Bottom