• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

My neighbor wants to introduce me to a girl so... Potential blind date coming up. Lol.

Oh Gaf, today was a day of magic.

First, at my weekly weigh-in, I officially hit 80 pounds lost.

Then I went on a first date with a girl from OKC. Beautiful girl, red hair, career, we match in so many different areas of life. We spent four hours in a coffee shop, just talking about anything and everything! At the end I got her number
and a kiss!

Finally I went to the gym and killed my longest jogging duration. Managed 25 minutes before I needed to catch a breath and some water. Might not be the strongest man around, but dammit if I won't bring the stamina!

Sure. PM Me.
Excellent!

Hi guys, quick question. I've tried tinder the last couple of days, but the last couple of days I get a push notification. "X sent you a message" and then when I want to check it out the entire match is gone. Is it just that someone "unliked" me or what's happening?

Gray Matter

Hi guys, quick question. I've tried tinder the last couple of days, but the last couple of days I get a push notification. "X sent you a message" and then when I want to check it out the entire match is gone. Is it just that someone "unliked" me or what's happening?

Most likely a bot. If you don't respond they go away, happened to me last night.

Lulubop

Have a date in a bit with the girl who I hit it with really well last monday, and was supposed to see on Friday before she canceled. She invited me a comedy showcase! And suggested we get drinks after.

keffri

Sup fam.

I've been talking to this girl and she's actually cool as hell. We've been texting, snapchatting, etc. for a bit and we're going to meet up when she can get time off of work.

We really hit it off well, but then I kinda dropped the bomb that I'm moving and probably won't be able to come back anytime soon.

We're still meeting up and everything but it kinda sucks that this could turn out to be something great but not mean anything in the end.

What should I try and make of this? I don't really want to have much of an emotional investment given the circumstance. If we hit it off even more what do you even do at that point?

gaiages

Banned
Sup fam.

I've been talking to this girl and she's actually cool as hell. We've been texting, snapchatting, etc. for a bit and we're going to meet up when she can get time off of work.

We really hit it off well, but then I kinda dropped the bomb that I'm moving and probably won't be able to come back anytime soon.

We're still meeting up and everything but it kinda sucks that this could turn out to be something great but not mean anything in the end.

What should I try and make of this? I don't really want to have much of an emotional investment given the circumstance. If we hit it off even more what do you even do at that point?

Just go with the flow bro, and enjoy yourself. You already let her know that you're moving, so she doesn't have any "lasting" expectations either (most likely). Just have a good time! :)

Salamando

What was the longest amount of time you've seen between you send someone a first message and they reply? Messaged someone back in early March and just now got a response...

Kevyt

I think I wanna try online dating but I'm honestly too nervous, anxious and scared to try it... ;_;

Any first timers here? How did you get past that mental barrier? I can't seem to get past it myself. It's weird...

I think I wanna try online dating but I'm honestly too nervous, anxious and scared to try it... ;_;

Any first timers here? How did you get past that mental barrier? I can't seem to get past it myself. It's weird...

I installed Tinder on Thursday as my first online dating service. And all I can say is just do it. Everyone does it, there is no stigma to it and it's incredibly casual. You are just texting with people.

Mr. Sam

As with anything, it becomes easier with time and practice. I remember being incredibly anxious - i.e. sweaty and even a little nauseated - when I first started but now I'm in a six month (and counting) relationship and wondering why I was ever so nervous. Basically, force yourself.

Africanus

I will second Tinder. A very low effort but high potential dating app. I just started this two weeks ago!

Damn these broads love Netflix. Netflix introduced a dating app they make nothing but money. From cord cutters to umbilical cord cutters. 9.99
Almost every single profile has a mention of netflix. Or how they can "Go out for a night on the town as well as snuggle up and watch netflix!"

Valus

What was the longest amount of time you've seen between you send someone a first message and they reply? Messaged someone back in early March and just now got a response...

I had something like that happen too, but she literally only responded with "I always have glorious weekend plans" or something. I just responded saying "really? you respond to me months later and that's all you could muster up?" and didn't hear back lol.

Almost every single profile has a mention of netflix. Or how they can "Go out for a night on the town as well as snuggle up and watch netflix!"

Yet if guys mention that they are lame and boring!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

I got one with a crazy delay, months or something, and I didn't get it until months after they sent it. Not sure what happened.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
OKC's got ads on the match page now. How annoying.

I got one with a crazy delay, months or something, and I didn't get it until months after they sent it. Not sure what happened.

Just happened to me - it wasn't a crazy delay, but she was like, "I am terrible at responding to these. But wow, what a great message. It had everything." I replied, "I know, I know. I'm pretty great. Thanks for recognizing it."

Anyway - date set up this Friday with a gorgeous doctor, and we're already ribbing each other in texts. We'll see how it goes.

Africanus

It is quite onesided online dating.

I finally realized the strange feeling that I have while doing it. I feel like a peacock mating.
I've tapped into how most animals act while performing their rituals.

I mention it, and it's one of the things I've been complimented on. My exact verbiage is, "You should agree that curing rainy Sundays with Netflix documentaries on meth and dinosaurs is a great idea."

Invariably, it's all, "... wait, you wanted to do meth? Ohhh." Then, usually: "I love dinosaurs!"

It's a strange world out there, amigo.

Salamando

If you're gonna include pics with girls, specify who the girls are. Family = okay. Friends = ehhh. Exes = crop them out.

Don't put a period after a smiley. The :) works well enough as a sentence ender. :). Looks like someone's drooling.

Putting "anything" for the food answer is lazy! And if you're going to just list stuff off, put them in the same order as the prompt.

gaiages

Banned
If you're gonna include pics with girls, specify who the girls are. Family = okay. Friends = ehhh. Exes = crop them out.

Don't put a period after a smiley. The :) works well enough as a sentence ender. :). Looks like someone's drooling.

Putting "anything" for the food answer is lazy! And if you're going to just list stuff off, put them in the same order as the prompt.

Or, alternatively, put the period before the smiley. :)

AcridMeat

Banned
Or, alternatively, put the period before the smiley. :)
That's what I do, though I like emoji more.

Heading for a hike with someone in a couple hours. We'll see how this goeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess *word continue to echo*

Jhoan

Yoda said:

Another NYC GAF bro?! I'm so launching that NYC GAF thread tonight I've been putting off tonight since I've been hesitating. Money never sleeps in Wall St. :D

That being said, your profile is pretty damn solid. The messaging section and spend time thinking about section are standard run of the mill stuff I see in every profile so you should spice it up a bit. For instance, instead of saying the future in the latter, you can say "Driving a DeLorean into the future to see if I founded the next best thing since Facebook" as an example.

So I reactivated my OKC account last week and got back on Tinder even though I'm not looking to be aggressively dating over the summer as opposed to last year. Haven't messaged anyone or done the whole swiping game. Still got Mod status on OKC so that can be fun thing to do when I'm super bored. Not looking to blow a hole through my wallet this time around either. Thankfully, there's a TON of free/cheap stuff to do around the city in the summer. Still need to overhaul my profile and add in new pics. I'll post it eventually once I'm done.

Funny enough, a girl I went out with on 2 dates last year around this time last year viewed my profile. The chemistry was great but she had different intentions from mines that I never heard from her again. I saw her on Tinder back when I was super active but I always swiped left to her. I might message her on a whim to see what she's been up to but I don't have any romantic feelings for her any more and think she would be great as a friend.

Yoda

Another NYC GAF bro?! I'm so launching that NYC GAF thread tonight I've been putting off tonight since I've been hesitating. Money never sleeps in Wall St. :D

That being said, your profile is pretty damn solid. The messaging section and spend time thinking about section are standard run of the mill stuff I see in every profile so you should spice it up a bit. For instance, instead of saying the future in the latter, you can say "Driving a DeLorean into the future to see if I founded the next best thing since Facebook" as an example.

So I reactivated my OKC account last week and got back on Tinder even though I'm not looking to be aggressively dating over the summer as opposed to last year. Haven't messaged anyone or done the whole swiping game. Still got Mod status on OKC so that can be fun thing to do when I'm super bored. Not looking to blow a hole through my wallet this time around either. Thankfully, there's a TON of free/cheap stuff to do around the city in the summer. Still need to overhaul my profile and add in new pics. I'll post it eventually once I'm done.

Funny enough, a girl I went out with on 2 dates last year around this time last year viewed my profile. The chemistry was great but she had different intentions from mines that I never heard from her again. I saw her on Tinder back when I was super active but I always swiped left to her. I might message her on a whim to see what she's been up to but I don't have any romantic feelings for her any more and think she would be great as a friend.

It ironically use to say something else. I toned down my profile significantly as after taking a break and coming back. It looked like I was trying too hard. I think you're right thou that the congruence isn't there for all the sections, and the playful sections mirror who I am more so it'd ideally lead me to a better possible match. Other issue I have is I don't really like Facebook as a result I have very few photos of myself to choose from, and I'm terribly picky about photos I like of myself (which is why I end up deleting most of the ones I had >.>

Lemme know if you arrange anything for the weekend btw, I got blown off for my 4th plans.

beat

Just popping in to say the number of women in NYC who use Bumble seems far, far higher than in SF... even after accounting for the difference in total population.

AcridMeat

Banned
Heading for a hike with someone in a couple hours. We'll see how this goeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess *word continue to echo*
It was aite. Think we'll stay friends.
Just popping in to say the number of women in NYC who use Bumble seems far, far higher than in SF... even after accounting for the difference in total population.
Hm that's unfortunate to hear, was thinking of trying it.

Lulubop

Bleh, pretty bummed about my date the other day... As usual it seems. She was extremely into after the first date, but I guess the age/career gapped turned her off after the second. She just doesn't seem interested anymore.

Also had a weird date Saturday night. We were making out within like 15 minutes of meeting each other but I guess it got worse throughout the night. She's definitely a drama queen, in need of attention and a pretty sure her friends didn't appreciate us being all over each other. She wanted to come back home with me but I'm still at home, and she lives out in Pennsylvania. We were supposed to hang again this Saturday but things have gotten all weird. I like her and she's gorgeous but there's a ton of shit working against us.

Also super down for a nyc meet up!

Yoda

Going out with someone who's reallllly above me in terms of economic status (I'm not poor or anything either). OKC has us @ 93% so maybe that'll help! lol

Lulubop

Going out with someone who's reallllly above me in terms of economic status (I'm not poor or anything either). OKC has us @ 93% so maybe that'll help! lol

That's how it was with the older woman I mentioned in my previous post and I'm thinking I won't get a third date because of despite a fantastic first.

Kinda anyway. If you have goals and aspirations you'll be alright.

Africanus

One part of OKC I detest is that every five people I see the "This person's inbox is full, but for a tidy sum of 1 dollar...". I wish they simply expanded the amount of messages non members can have, or, better yet, people would clear out their inboxes. More than one 90% match was lost.

One part of OKC I detest is that every five people I see the "This person's inbox is full, but for a tidy sum of 1 dollar...". I wish they simply expanded the amount of messages non members can have, or, better yet, people would clear out their inboxes. More than one 90% match was lost.
That seems to be the story with the "desirable" ones.

Kinda in the same boat here... No idea where to even start really. Tinder is probably out of the question for now since my phone is an old POS(planning on changing that soonish though).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Online dating is about having thick skin and having the time to out in the work. I mean, you are going to be sending out 50-100 messages a day if you want to have any kind of success.

Lulubop

Rare Friday off, date tonight! Maybe three straight nights with dates. The barber gave me a shitty hair cut again! HYPE!

Online dating is about having thick skin and having the time to out in the work. I mean, you are going to be sending out 50-100 messages a day if you want to have any kind of success.
Where are you even finding 50-100 acceptables? I've found about ten in my search on OKCupid over the past few weeks. Man a lot of these girls should get a career in cinematography.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Where are you even finding 50-100 acceptables? I've found about ten in my search on OKCupid over the past few weeks. Man a lot of these girls should get a career in cinematography.

I live in NYC.

Although, yeah, might be harder for those in small towns.

gaiages

Banned
I live in the Dallas area and not seeing it. Also, hopped on PoF, that's Myspace right there.

Are you perhaps just being picky, or is OKC literally only showing you 10 or so responses for people that you have a high match % for? I don't live in a huge town, and I don't care about college football (which put me at a low % for quite a few people in this town), and I was still able to get a decent number of matches. More than ten, at least.

It's hard to believe such a low number for someplace like Dallas.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Lol, thought I was a real player with 4 different guys messaging me. Now none of them are, lol. I went out with one of them, had a good time, texted him, he repsonded, then I asked him on another date... no response. :| The other people have apparently fallen off the face of the earth, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Top Bottom