• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Lulubop

Does Tinder have like a Text limit where when the reached the convo is cleared? Because that just happened talking to this gorgeous Russian girl who is always a native New Yorker, and I feel awful because I reach that text limit and didn't even get a number or secure a date.

Just hand it off to him brah. You know that personality wise, you can compete at the OKCupid level. Props to the Cyrano De Bergerac nod.

That's what I did. The girl is fucking cool and charming, and frankly, the fact that I like talking to her begin to piss me off that she didn't really talk to me, but to him through me.

I just messaged him and told him to talk to her himself since he'll be an idiot if he passes her up. I'm just the idiot that pretended to be another idiot and realized this whole thing is idiotic. What really pissed me off is that I wanted to ask her out. I realized that I couldn't, and then I was just like... fuck this. What's the point? I thought it would be an interesting social experiment, it was, and then the whole thing is just me screwing with myself.

Would you mind sharing a few messages? I think this might play a huge part and you might not realize. Confidence and caring can come off a lot with just words.

You are probably taking more risks and don't care as much.

And that is what online dating is all about. You simply can't care. Message girls, be forward, be different, and just have fun and don't care. It might be easier to not care when you know most of these things will never go anywhere, and you don't have a feeling in your head saying, " Come on man, don't fuck this up. This girl seems great, looks good, and has a great profile. Gotta construct the perfect first message. '

You're right about the risks. It's hard to not care after this debacle though. Such a dumb idea on my part. I've got a feeling I'm gonna wake up to a message where he's telling me to reply to her cause he doesn't wanna fuck it up which is ironic cause he didn't do anything. Literally, I wrote the entire profile for him, I did all the messaging, groundwork, etc.

Though, I felt like even when I was messaging people, I didn't care. I was reading profiles, finding interesting stuff, and asking questions or sending funny comments or throwing out some wit. I was trying to act the same way here.

I can pretend to be someone else better than I can be me? No, me, I'm awesome. It's the world that's wrong.

In the meantime, I've disabled my account. I might go back to it in a bit, but I'm too concerned about constantly checking it and seeing nothing to keep it around. It's aggravating. I'll give it a week, then come back and try again.

Zelias

Banned
Had a date with a cute girl yesterday, only lasted an hour though because she was tired and wanted to go home to sleep. She gets up earlier than I do though and has had a stressful week so although I was a bit disappointed I understood. If I can get a second date with her I'll try and arrange it for the weekend or something so she can at least get some sleep, haha. Not sure if it's gonna go any further though.

Jokab

Had a date with a cute girl yesterday, only lasted an hour though because she was tired and wanted to go home to sleep. She gets up earlier than I do though and has had a stressful week so although I was a bit disappointed I understood. If I can get a second date with her I'll try and arrange it for the weekend or something so she can at least get some sleep, haha. Not sure if it's gonna go any further though.

Had pretty much the same thing happen last week. She deleted me from Tinder a few days later, even though I had her number already.

Llyranor

NTGYK, what do you think is holding you back for your real account? Your (minority) looks? If so, is there anything you can change/upgrade about your look without changing who you are? For example, can you change your style?

I think I remember reading about a turban. Maybe that's a turn-off to some women. But there's only two ways about it. Either you can get rid of the turban (whether or not that's acceptable to you or not is up to you). But, if your turban is an integral part of who you are, then just own it. All those girls out there ignoring or rejecting you because of it? Screw them, they wouldn't be worth your time anyway.

That girl who you wanted to ask out through your friend's account, but wouldn't give you the time of day through your real one? Maybe she couldn't look past your turban/skin color. Not worth moping about it, she wasn't the right girl for you. The right girl wouldn't care about the turban.

At the end of the day, you are who you are. Some things you just can't change about yourself, and there is no point lamenting about how unfair it is. Change what you can, but for everything else, just own it. If someone doesn't like you for who you are, and only for who you pretend to be, it won't work out anyway, even if you do manage to get a few dates out of it.

I'm a short skinny Asian (but I'm guessing south asians have it even worse) guy. I did a complete style makeover this year, which has actually helped a lot for my confidence. Appaling response rate to the messages I'd send out However, I still got likes and unprompted messages from girls, however. Girl I'm with right now actually messaged me first, because she thought my profile was hilarious and liked what she saw (it helps that my pictures are of me doing various activities - and more importantly - with funny captions. And I edited out other people's face with funny drawings or collage). The point I'm saying is just be who you are. All the people who don't like the real you don't matter one bit. All of those who ignored me? Yeah, it bothered me. A lot, for a while. I wrote thoughtful funny messages, why wouldn't they reply? What was wrong with me? But, that hurt no one but myself. Just focus on bettering yourself without changing who you really. But change/upgrade what you can if it's not an integral part of you!

Actually, I think turbans are really cool. If it's something you don't mind doing, you could roll with it and go all out poking fun of it on your profile. You could call yourself... The Turbinator. If girls see you having fun with it too, maybe they'll be less intimidated by it.

Every time something like that happened to me I never heard from the girl again.
Hope you have better luck.

stn

NTGYK, what do you think is holding you back for your real account? Your (minority) looks? If so, is there anything you can change/upgrade about your look without changing who you are? For example, can you change your style?
I did get the sense that girls on OKC generally don't want anyone religious. Its a turn-off to people because they wrongfully assume the person is extreme, will try to convert them, and so forth. Feels like a losing battle in some respects.

I think I remember reading about a turban. Maybe that's a turn-off to some women. But there's only two ways about it. Either you can get rid of the turban (whether or not that's acceptable to you or not is up to you). But, if your turban is an integral part of who you are, then just own it. All those girls out there ignoring or rejecting you because of it? Screw them, they wouldn't be worth your time anyway.

That girl who you wanted to ask out through your friend's account, but wouldn't give you the time of day through your real one? Maybe she couldn't look past your turban/skin color. Not worth moping about it, she wasn't the right girl for you. The right girl wouldn't care about the turban.

At the end of the day, you are who you are. Some things you just can't change about yourself, and there is no point lamenting about how unfair it is. Change what you can, but for everything else, just own it. If someone doesn't like you for who you are, and only for who you pretend to be, it won't work out anyway, even if you do manage to get a few dates out of it.

I'm a short skinny Asian (but I'm guessing south asians have it even worse) guy. I did a complete style makeover this year, which has actually helped a lot for my confidence. Appaling response rate to the messages I'd send out However, I still got likes and unprompted messages from girls, however. Girl I'm with right now actually messaged me first, because she thought my profile was hilarious and liked what she saw (it helps that my pictures are of me doing various activities - and more importantly - with funny captions. And I edited out other people's face with funny drawings or collage). The point I'm saying is just be who you are. All the people who don't like the real you don't matter one bit. All of those who ignored me? Yeah, it bothered me. A lot, for a while. I wrote thoughtful funny messages, why wouldn't they reply? What was wrong with me? But, that hurt no one but myself. Just focus on bettering yourself without changing who you really. But change/upgrade what you can if it's not an integral part of you!

Actually, I think turbans are really cool. If it's something you don't mind doing, you could roll with it and go all out poking fun of it on your profile. You could call yourself... The Turbinator. If girls see you having fun with it too, maybe they'll be less intimidated by it.

Probably won't go down that alley, hahaha. I'm not super religious at all though.

But thanks for the above. I appreciate it. You're right.

I told my friend to pick up the conversations cause I'm done, and now he's procrastinating and overthinking it.

Dope.

stn

You may not be "super religious" but people will assume you are anyway. Unfortunately that's pretty much how it goes, man. The other part is that people using online dating might be looking for a hookup, and they will generally assume that religious people aren't interested in that. Don't let it deter you, just keep at it.

You may not be "super religious" but people will assume you are anyway. Unfortunately that's pretty much how it goes, man. The other part is that people using online dating might be looking for a hookup, and they will generally assume that religious people aren't interested in that. Don't let it deter you, just keep at it.

Speaking of which, is it ok to say that you're looking more to hookup than to have a relationship?

Because that's where I'm at right now, but I also don't want to be a jerk/exploitative about it.

EDIT: Actually screw that, I'm going to have to be a bit of a jerk about it. Just not enough to outright compromise my personal morality.

Lulubop

Date canceled on me, said she had a lot of work and I believe it. I mean she like disabled her OKC after just one date. I wouldn't be so mad though if my service wasn't shit, and I hadn't already been on the Subway. A little salty about that.

Valus

Date canceled on me, said she had a lot of work and I believe it. I mean she like disabled her OKC after just one date. I wouldn't be so mad though if my service wasn't shit, and I hadn't already been on the Subway. A little salty about that.

Did she reschedule?

Lulubop

Did she reschedule?

She was like oh shit. I'm so sorry. I haven't replied yet.

She sent me a pic of all the work she had to do and stuff, but I didn't get it until I had already left. TMobile's network is acting up, getting test late or multiples of the same text. It was going to be a short date anyway so no biggie.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I wonder if its as annoying to women when guys only want to hook up as it is to me when girls are only looking for friends...
Please get off dating sites looking for friends. Please.

Anywho. It seems I have to send out about 10 messages just to get one visitor. I guess I just don't know what to say on this site.

I'm going to make an OKCupid profile. Today is the first day of the rest of my life!

Congrats! Of all the online sites I tried, I liked OKCupid the best. Well no, I like Tinder a lot since it's simple and to the point, but that's less a distinct "dating" service

OKCupid is great, PlentyOfFish is unintelligible to me. They need to hire a new UI guy

Africanus

I wonder if its as annoying to women when guys only want to hook up as it is to me when girls are only looking for friends...
Please get off dating sites looking for friends. Please.

Anywho. It seems I have to send out about 10 messages just to get one visitor. I guess I just don't know what to say on this site.

The whole "friends" aspect, especially on Tinder annoys me.
I match with this one person, only for them to waste my time in back and forth conversation ending with "I was only on here to look for a dance partner..."

I'm not seeing any catches yet brahs.

Kind of in the same boat. I have no trouble getting girls to view my profile; I've even got zero issue getting them to read my messages. In fact, I almost always get one reply. But then, when I offer up a response to that - nothing. It's disheartening: it means that I actually can't hold someone's interest as well as I'd hope. It's bizarre, too.

I had 2 dates last week. One didn't go well (no chemistry). The other went a little better, and although I asked her if she wanted to get together again, she didn't respond to my text. Not exactly heartbroken, but it might've been fun.

...I guess I'm joining the club. Man, I miss being the guru offering advice.

Lulubop

Kind of in the same boat. I have no trouble getting girls to view my profile; I've even got zero issue getting them to read my messages. In fact, I almost always get one reply. But then, when I offer up a response to that - nothing. It's disheartening: it means that I actually can't hold someone's interest as well as I'd hope. It's bizarre, too.

I had 2 dates last week. One didn't go well (no chemistry). The other went a little better, and although I asked her if she wanted to get together again, she didn't respond to my text. Not exactly heartbroken, but it might've been fun.

...I guess I'm joining the club. Man, I miss being the guru offering advice.

Slump city for anything more than a one night thing and even that. Though I haven't really been on many boozey dates lately

My best friend went on his first Tinder date. He's apparently doing well but he's 6'3" blond hair, and blue eyes

I told my friend to take over the account.

He's now too nervous to message anyone. The one girl that I told him he should message, she didn't reply after his last message cause... he waited so long and it's awkwardly worded, I imagine. That was the one I was referring to earlier, who was messaging with me non-stop. It's like his anti-charisma is permeating through the internets.

f0df6c531ff1a00e6c8ec5d6ec0add37.jpg

I told my friend to take over the account.

He's now too nervous to message anyone. The one girl that I told him he should message, she didn't reply after his last message cause... he waited so long and it's awkwardly worded, I imagine. That was the one I was referring to earlier, who was messaging with me non-stop. It's like his anti-charisma is permeating through the internets.

As someone with apparent anti-charisma ...

If you're going to do this, you two should write messages together, so that he learns your technique and understands how to cope with his anxiety. Still, I think it might be unfair to you, considering the state it's putting you in (still think you're awesome, by the way, and there's objective proof demonstrating that).

As someone with apparent anti-charisma ...

If you're going to do this, you two should write messages together, so that he learns your technique and understands how to cope with his anxiety. Still, I think it might be unfair to you, considering the state it's putting you in (still think you're awesome, by the way, and there's objective proof demonstrating that).

I was trying to coach him through text as to what he should say, how he should say it, how he should try to engage with people, being genuinely interested in what they have to say, etc. I think he gets it, it just doesn't fully like, carry over to the real world.

Thanks, lol

AcridMeat

Banned
I think I may be meeting a gal who works at a game dev soon.

Oh la la.

Also while out friend asked if I've been working out. Aw yeah I knew this sweater was flattering.

Africanus

Probably won't go down that alley, hahaha. I'm not super religious at all though.

But thanks for the above. I appreciate it. You're right.

I told my friend to pick up the conversations cause I'm done, and now he's procrastinating and overthinking it.

Dope.

So why do you keep the turban? Does it hold significance for you? Or is it an example of your heritage?

Because, quite frankly, you could switch it out from your main picture while keeping it on side ones and no one would notice.

Not trying to be rude, just attempting to understand! It could still be interesting though, in my main picture I have two birds on my shoulders. It's a good conversation starter.

So why do you keep the turban? Does it hold significance for you? Or is it an example of your heritage?

Because, quite frankly, you could switch it out from your main picture while keeping it on side ones and no one would notice.

Not trying to be rude, just attempting to understand! It could still be interesting though, in my main picture I have two birds on my shoulders. It's a good conversation starter.

It's my heritage, man. It's how I was raised. It's part of my identity. It's culturally and religiously significant, yeah, but at this point it's just part of me. Plus, I know I look dashing as hell in it.

Yeah, I'm just not really seeing anyone I could make some money with on OKCupid. There are maybe like three I would want to message. You know, I'm just ready to go. I've had my Home Alone moment "you hear me, I'm not afraid anymore." I'd face all challengers but there just not much there.

QP3

Been using OKC off and on for about a year. About to go on a date for the first time in a few months. Ill try to update with how it goes.

Salamando

Oh Gaf, today was a day of magic.

First, at my weekly weigh-in, I officially hit 80 pounds lost.

Then I went on a first date with a girl from OKC. Beautiful girl, red hair, career, we match in so many different areas of life. We spent four hours in a coffee shop, just talking about anything and everything! At the end I got her number
and a kiss!

Finally I went to the gym and killed my longest jogging duration. Managed 25 minutes before I needed to catch a breath and some water. Might not be the strongest man around, but dammit if I won't bring the stamina!

Can someone judge my pics?

Sure. PM Me.

Africanus

It's my heritage, man. It's how I was raised. It's part of my identity. It's culturally and religiously significant, yeah, but at this point it's just part of me. Plus, I know I look dashing as hell in it.

Thanks for the explanation! I can understand how important heritage can be, and I have seen your profile, you do look quite dashing. I believe in your prospects!

Oh Gaf, today was a day of magic.

First, at my weekly weigh-in, I officially hit 80 pounds lost.

Then I went on a first date with a girl from OKC. Beautiful girl, red hair, career, we match in so many different areas of life. We spent four hours in a coffee shop, just talking about anything and everything! At the end I got her number
and a kiss!

Finally I went to the gym and killed my longest jogging duration. Managed 25 minutes before I needed to catch a breath and some water. Might not be the strongest man around, but dammit if I won't bring the stamina!

Dude. You're killing it, congratulations

Top Bottom