• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
date started at 8ish, ended at about 10:45. way longer than i thought it'd go. had a generally interesting/nice conversation about random things

i might have rubbed her the wrong way a couple of times -- i was playing along with her jokes but she had to constantly tell me "that was a joke" and some other random things. i'm a bit older than her but i didn't feel the age gap really. other than when she said "green lantern came out when i was a kid" (and it was only 4 years ago or something)

i dont know if ill text/call her again, but during the date apparently she went on okcupid at 9:30. it was probably while i was at the bathroom, but who knows if she was just looking at my profile or not.

i feel like i'm doing better on dates, at least. still finding out what works well for me or not

Assanova

We were on dates. We made out. There was physical touching, laughing, and me picking up the check. In one case, with five-date girl, we had sex. I don't waffle on language. Hell, with all three of the girls I mentioned, I told each of them: "I like you. I want to take you out again. How about Wednesday?"

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mean, the answer is "probably nothing," but still.

Maybe you should ask one or two of the girls where you went wrong and to be honest about it. At this point, I don't think it is the "spark". It is possible that you may have bad breath or be a bad kisser and don't know it. If this is affecting every girl, it may be time to simply ask. It's really your only way of knowing and may help you in the long run.

Jokab

We were on dates. We made out. There was physical touching, laughing, and me picking up the check. In one case, with five-date girl, we had sex. I don't waffle on language. Hell, with all three of the girls I mentioned, I told each of them: "I like you. I want to take you out again. How about Wednesday?"

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mean, the answer is "probably nothing," but still.

Maybe you should ask one or two of the girls where you went wrong and to be honest about it. At this point, I don't think it is the "spark". It is possible that you may have bad breath or be a bad kisser and don't know it. If this is affecting every girl, it may be time to simply ask. It's really your only way of knowing and may help you in the long run.

For what it's worth, I struck out in similar ways with the first two girls I dated from online, both Tinder. Went on many dates with both, but there wasn't much mutual physical attaction, and I slept with neither. When asking them what went wrong, they both said "you did nothing wrong, I just don't feel that way about you".

Then I ended up striking in with the third multiple dates-girl. Perhaps it's the same with you, that you'll find the strike in eventually.

So.....you only slept with one of the girls?

Making out doesn't seem like a big deal these days. Plenty of girls seem down to do it without really wanting anything more or even seeing you again. It's like the female version of "hit it and quit it."

Yeah. Now that you articulated it, I'm shocked I hadn't realized that before. Anyway, yeah, of the three I mentioned, only one. Frankly, I'd rather get comfortable with someone before I engage in anything. And I'm talking date 3-4 here-- nothing too outlandish.

Well, to add more data points here: it's neither breath nor kissing. I'm minty with the former and great with the latter. There was another girl recently that I did go home with on a first date. (I just didn't really want to see her again, although we went out on a second date.) And, conversely, I was seeing someone else for about a month and a half, and she also cited a lack of "spark." But she had plenty of other issues, so she's an outlier situation.

For what it's worth, I struck out in similar ways with the first two girls I dated from online, both Tinder. Went on many dates with both, but there wasn't much mutual physical attaction, and I slept with neither. When asking them what went wrong, they both said "you did nothing wrong, I just don't feel that way about you".

Then I ended up striking in with the third multiple dates-girl. Perhaps it's the same with you, that you'll find the strike in eventually.

I think and hope this is accurate. (Otherwise, I have to somehow deal with the supposed fact that I become less interesting to people the longer they know me.)

gaiages

Banned
What're your reasons?

I ask because I'm someone who does like to travel, and I'm curious what other messages that might send out. I don't know what your definition of extensively is, but I try to visit a new place each year. Thanks to the combination of growing up poor (I'm good at stretching a dollar) and an awesome job, I'm able to do just that without too much of an issue.

Hmm... well, it's like Woofington said, it's a problem with different lifestyles.

I'm not able to travel that much, for a bunch of reasons. The main one is I simply cannot afford it, and people that travel a lot (which I would say is more than twice a year for a working person) are obviously living a different life than I am. If you can afford to go out of the country (or even across the country), you have enough disposable income to afford things like a car or a decent place to live, and not worry about making sure the bills get paid on time, or trying to yell at the landlord for the tenth time about a roach issue that you can't afford to take care of yourself (my month's been sucky). Not that I want to date only "poor people", but it's just a entirely different tier that will probably take me years to achieve. And if I do happen to date someone like that, who can afford all that while I merely make enough to just have a tiny bit of disposable income (compared to them), I would look like a mooch, or gold digger.

Oh, and well... if you're in college and are traveling a shitton and it's not due to some schalorship thing, then it makes it look like you have no responsibilities and your parents pay for everything.

Also what Rest said, though my insecurity is less "oh you make more than I do" and more "oh you're able to buy all this shit for me and I can't buy you anything nearly as nice"

Yeah. Now that you articulated it, I'm shocked I hadn't realized that before. Anyway, yeah, of the three I mentioned, only one. Frankly, I'd rather get comfortable with someone before I engage in anything. And I'm talking date 3-4 here-- nothing too outlandish.

Well, to add more data points here: it's neither breath nor kissing. I'm minty with the former and great with the latter. There was another girl recently that I did go home with on a first date. (I just didn't really want to see her again, although we went out on a second date.) And, conversely, I was seeing someone else for about a month and a half, and she also cited a lack of "spark." But she had plenty of other issues, so she's an outlier situation.

I think and hope this is accurate. (Otherwise, I have to somehow deal with the supposed fact that I become less interesting to people the longer they know me.)

I am likely completely off-base here, but maybe it's the flip side: you're moving too fast. If you're making out on the first/second date, it will probably proceed to sex on the third/fourth. You're also picking up the cheque, which may imply reciprocity and pressure them into exceeding expectations the next time around. I remember you saying your dates are creative and multi-layered: maybe they're too fancy. I can only speak from my experience but some girls just like to sit near the water with an ice cream cone.

gaiages

Banned
I am likely completely off-base here, but maybe it's the flip side: you're moving too fast. If you're making out on the first/second date, it will probably proceed to sex on the third/fourth. You're also picking up the cheque, which may imply reciprocity and pressure them into exceeding expectations the next time around. I remember you saying your dates are creative and multi-layered: maybe they're too fancy. I can only speak from my experience but some girls just like to sit near the water with an ice cream cone.

Honestly, I kinda thought the same, but I'm also a bit of a prude. Or maybe they wanted a fling and saw that you were more serious, Diaboli.

huxley00

Any tips on transitioning from conversation/chat to going on an actual date? I have a few women I'm pretty interested in and would like to see if they want to go out. Do you just play it by ear and try to just judge when it's ready for that step? Pls...pls help.

gaiages

Banned
Any tips on transitioning from conversation/chat to going on an actual date? I have a few women I'm pretty interested in and would like to see if they want to go out. Do you just play it by ear and try to just judge when it's ready for that step? Pls...pls help.

"Hey would you like to go out for coffee/drinks at [place] around [time]?"

There.

gaiages

Banned
Do I send a shirtless pic with the request?

You should do it rubbing your nipples while you're at it.

In all seriousness, though, it's that easy.

~

I cleaned out my messages on OKC (since I'm prepping to shut it down), and later I'll probably have some nice screenshots/things to talk about involving sending messages. I'm giving the lecture whether y'all want it or not, either :D

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I've been asked to moderate for OKcupid. I rarely do it. I hopped on to mess around and had to sift through phallus photos.

What is wrong with guys and posting their penis on the internet?

-------

Also, is anyone having problems with viewing profiles on Android's app? I can't click on profiles after scrolling down a bit.

Cannot be stated enough. No one wants to see it. No. One.

So.....you only slept with one of the girls?

Making out doesn't seem like a big deal these days. Plenty of girls seem down to do it without really wanting anything more or even seeing you again. It's like the female version of "hit it and quit it."
I think this is accurate. I've seen more than a few girls' profiles who are in committed relationships, but want to cuddle and make out with other girls on the side. Literally their profiles will say they just want to "hook up to make out." One even said "No genital stimulation!" So, I think that there are women out there that that's all they're looking for. Maybe it's an ego boost for some?

Rest

Mother of God. I sent a message to a girl that lives a little farther away than I usually would want to go in a town I've never heard of. She actually replies, answers all my questions in a meaningful way, and then read my profile and asked me about stuff in it.

So, I look up the town she lives in, and it's not a little farther than I'd usually go. It's a little under 50 miles away as the bird flies, but driving there would be about 70 and it's a pain in the ass to get to (I have heard of the town after all, I've driven through it and just forgot about it.)

davepoobond

Mother of God. I sent a message to a girl that lives a little farther away than I usually would want to go in a town I've never heard of. She actually replies, answers all my questions in a meaningful way, and then read my profile and asked me about stuff in it.

So, I look up the town she lives in, and it's not a little farther than I'd usually go. It's a little under 50 miles away as the bird flies, but driving there would be about 70 and it's a pain in the ass to get to (I have heard of the town after all, I've driven through it and just forgot about it.)

i would at least meet once somewhere in the middle, but yeah when its a long distance like that i click away just because of the distance

I've read plenty of amazing profiles where I instantly would want to give the world to these ladies, then I see where they're located and I painfully move on. Long distance relationship isn't worth it unless the girl is willing to relocate (I have a job down here) and is serious about me, which it's hard to tell with online dating until a few dates I guess.

You say I'm moving too fast. Vicissitudes says I'm moving too slow. You're both probably right! I now realize that I'd prefer to date someone who doesn't immediately shy away from flirting.

Let me clarify the idea of "creative" dates, though: it's more like changing venue, moving from one bar to another that has food on happy hour, than anything grand or elaborate. And it's not multi-layered by design. It's mostly, "Hey, are you hungry?" or "Hey, do you wanna go somewhere else?"

Honestly, I kinda thought the same, but I'm also a bit of a prude. Or maybe they wanted a fling and saw that you were more serious, Diaboli.

And now gaiages says I could be moving too quickly too, and she's generally right 99% of the time. But there's a fine line between respecting boundaries and manifesting that you find someone attractive. I was out with someone on Monday, and after I had my hand on her knee, she replied coyly, remarking that she "didn't do this on first dates..." but, clearly, she didn't mind.

I think, in the end, I know what caused it: they didn't feel a spark because I didn't either, and after a while, that's obvious to detect. Anyway, she's right about this much: I don't want a fling, and maybe that means I need to be more discriminating about who I bother with. The dude who mentioned that a doctor wouldn't have time for anything with me was right; and I knew (but didn't accept) that the girl intimidated by me, who didn't have any dreams or ambitions, wasn't right for me either.

Anyway. Got another 2 dates lined up. One's with a friend of mine. Another's with this girl in a totally niche field (art restoration and museum work) that I seriously just want to learn more about. She's new to the city, and worst case scenario -- friends.

gaiages

Banned
I think, in the end, I know what caused it: they didn't feel a spark because I didn't either, and after a while, that's obvious to detect.

Hmm, yeah, if you don't feel a spark, then that could very well be putting the ladies off too. I mean, you shouldn't force yourself to like someone anyway just 'cause, but yeah, usually people can pick up on that. :3

Good luck on your next few dates!

davepoobond

should it be normal to expect some sort of communication from a girl after the first date if they are interested? i'm guessing its pretty much always up to the guy to initiate for a second date/continued communication, but have yet to get that far.

should it be normal to expect some sort of communication from a girl after the first date if they are interested? i'm guessing its pretty much always up to the guy to initiate for a second date/continued communication, but have yet to get that far.

Well, I always used to advocate for getting a second date at the end of the first. But, clearly, as this page has shown, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I've had girls follow up with me, though. It's not uncommon.

I generally always do say, "Text me when you get home," though. Which they always do.

With online dating I feel like cutting the bull for girls I'm interested in. I assume shyness is largely gone via a computer screen. I read the profile, like/favorite their profile, and hope that they like me back before I initiate conversation. I mean I'm not a shy person but I don't want to spend time coming up with an opening message if they're not even interested in me to begin with.

Is this a bad approach? From what you guys have seen do the ladies like back or is it just better to write a message from the get go? I mean the latter seems like the obvious answer, but I would hope (maybe in a perfect world) that the middle man of "does she find me interesting/physically attractive enough to consider dating" can be cut with both people liking each others profiles.

So far the messages I've gotten responses back are those that have written me, but out of the group that have done so there has only been like 3 I responded back to.

davepoobond

Well, I always used to advocate for getting a second date at the end of the first. But, clearly, as this page has shown, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

not saying i know what i'm talking about either, necessarily, but the two times i asked (while on the first date) "would you want to go out again" and they said yes, it didn't happen, so i stopped doing that. i remember asking advice about that here a while ago, so it wasn't because i was giving up, more that it can be meaningless to receive that response

I've had girls follow up with me, though. It's not uncommon.

alright, i just didn't want to have some sort of weird expectation about it.

I generally always do say, "Text me when you get home," though. Which they always do.

that's a good one. I'll have to do that for when I actually go on a date with someone I really like.

With online dating I feel like cutting the bull for girls I'm interested in. I assume shyness is largely gone via a computer screen. I read the profile, like/favorite their profile, and hope that they like me back before I initiate conversation. I mean I'm not a shy person but I don't want to spend time coming up with an opening message if they're not even interested in me to begin with.

Is this a bad approach? From what you guys have seen do the ladies like back or is it just better to write a message from the get go? I mean the latter seems like the obvious answer, but I would hope (maybe in a perfect world) that the middle man of "does she find me interesting/physically attractive enough to consider dating" can be cut with both people liking each others profiles.

So far the messages I've gotten responses back are those that have written me, but out of the group that have done so there has only been like 3 I responded back to.

most of the time they're not even going to see that Like unless they're a paying customer... so Like and send a quick message. Don't have to personalize every message, but scan the profile, see something that you can ask a question about and then send it. it should take a maximum of about 30 seconds each

or you can ask out of the blue questions like the Online Dating motto "Pizza or Sushi?" (that specific line hasn't worked for me, yet, but there you go)

I do a mix. I wait for others to "like" me (and I pay the $20/month on OKCupid that lets me see who likes me, along with browsing anonymously: it's four coffees, so whatever), and then I'll send a short message. Always gets read; almost always gets a reply. Or, I'll just send another short message to someone "cold" -- I don't put a ton of effort into these anymore. Enough to differentiate myself from the idiots, losers, and creepers, but just 4-5 sentences now, at most.

It's unreasonable to expect "the perfect message." Besides, it probably just adds pressure and tension, anyway -- for both of you. You just want enough to cause someone to view your profile, really.

I still craft personalized messages. I don't blast them to multiple people (but, based on raw data, I hear that works too), but that's mostly because I don't want to juggle too many dates at once.

Didn't realize that they needed to be a paying customer of OKC to see likes. I paid for it without much though. Guess I'll start to write messages, thanks for the heads up guys.

Assanova

I only liked profiles and only messaged the ones that liked or messaged me back or first. I had dates almost every day for two straight weeks before I closed my accounts. The way that I see it is that if a woman doesn't have a paid profile, then she either isn't serious or she is too broke to be dating me. I also don't have time to send out messages to girls who didn't show some kind of interest in me. At the most, I would occasionally message girls who viewed my profile first.

Is that true? MOTHERFUCKER! I just purchased a month.

What a shady bullshit policy.
I checked again and I think the claim is mistaken. Paying for an account lets you see who visited you, allows for anonymous browsing, makes it ad free and other shit. It doesn't force you to pay to see who has liked you.

I checked again and I think the claim is mistaken. Paying for an account lets you see who visited you, allows for anonymous browsing, makes it ad free and other shit. It doesn't force you to pay to see who has liked you.

On mobile it does. It's called the A List and OKC explicitly says that unless you mutually like one another, you can see whom you like, but you cant see whom liked you. If you pay, you can see who liked you.

Assanova

On mobile it does. It's called the A List and OKC explicitly says that unless you mutually like one another, you can see whom you like, but you cant see whom liked you. If you pay, you can see who liked you.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is true. I just wrote my friend's profile for him a few days ago and I remember getting on him about paying because he couldn't see who liked him. Still no word on if this is true for POF and Match?

Assanova

Is that true? MOTHERFUCKER! I just purchased a month.

What a shady bullshit policy.

It is a bullshit policy because it works against paying members. Many people don't even look at you until they see that you liked them. I didn't even bother browsing random profiles on any of the sites for the most part.

It is a bullshit policy because it works against paying members. Many people don't even look at you until they see that you liked them. I didn't even bother browsing random profiles on any of the sites for the most part.

Even as a paying member, you wouldn't know if someone was viewing your profile or not, or even who's paying and who isn't.

turtle553

You can't see who liked you, but it lets you know if you mutually like each other. If you see a new like, just do quickmatch and it will be one of the first few people.

When the girl you're talking to is a potential Suicide Girl model and you check out her Instagram

3w2MWDX.png

davepoobond

why is there confusion here?

Plenty of Fish Free:
Likes: Notified by Email of New Likes with a username. Mutual Likes revealed through web site easily.

Visitors: You can see them.

Okcupid Free:
Likes: Notified you "got a like" on the web site only. Mutual Likes revealed on messages page.

Visitors: You can see them. Anonymous Browsing can be turned on for free but then you cannot see visitors anymore as a trade-off. Paid allows both.

why is there confusion here?

Plenty of Fish Free:
Likes: Notified by Email of New Likes with a username. Mutual Likes revealed through web site easily.

Visitors: You can see them.

Okcupid Free:
Likes: Notified you "got a like" on the web site only. Mutual Likes revealed on messages page.

Visitors: You can see them. Anonymous Browsing can be turned on for free but then you cannot see visitors anymore as a trade-off. Paid allows both.
Well if they can still check on the website then that's a relief as its likely they'll eventually log into the website and see. POF is not an issue as I tend to send a message straight away.

Salamando

If you want to rely on likes and the such, use Tinder. Otherwise you're better served by just messaging the girl.

On OKC, I've liked hundreds of girls...and I've been messaged by a grand total of zero of them. If there's a mutual match, all that happens is both parties get a message in their inbox, and even then it's unlikely the girl will message first. So the guy messages the girl, and the end result is similar to where you'd be if you ignored the like mechanic in the first place - the girl has a message in her inbox from a guy.

At best you could say that since you know interest is there, you can justify spending a little more time crafting a good (but still not overly wordy) message.

Assanova

If you want to rely on likes and the such, use Tinder. Otherwise you're better served by just messaging the girl.

On OKC, I've liked hundreds of girls...and I've been messaged by a grand total of zero of them. If there's a mutual match, all that happens is both parties get a message in their inbox, and even then it's unlikely the girl will message first. So the guy messages the girl, and the end result is similar to where you'd be if you ignored the like mechanic in the first place - the girl has a message in her inbox from a guy.

At best you could say that since you know interest is there, you can justify spending a little more time crafting a good (but still not overly wordy) message.

I tried Tinder for a grand total of about an hour before deleting it. I got two matches, both of which were prostitutes. I laughed at them, and then proceeded to delete the app.

I treat Likes like bookmarks. That way I can visit their profile later and send them a message.
Yeah I've started to send more messages today. Maybe I'll go through ladies in my like list to send messages to

I liked a lot of girls on OKC, thinking they'd see it, but I guess they won't. I hardly get any likes.

I've still been talking to a couple of girls, and one's interested but wants to take things really slow. She says she's a normal, sexual woman who's lonely, but finds that if she jumps ahead in talking to people all they end up wanting is sex. Or, that becomes the focus of the conversation.

There's another one I'm talking to who's really nice. We haven't set up a date and time for a date yet. I'm getting a cold, though.

Salamando

I treat Likes like bookmarks. That way I can visit their profile later and send them a message.

That's about all I use them for.

Though it is worth mentioning - if you like a girl, your card is shuffled higher into her quickmatch. It makes it easier for her to like you back, if she actually uses that feature.

Rest

You used to see who liked you, then they changed it to emailing you when someone liked you, then you could only see it on mobile. Now you have to pay no matter what to see who likes you.

Talk with them. When there's a somewhat engaging conversation ask them out. That's just it.

Just ask her , continue communication. Dont worry about expectations.The way people talk today with instant messaging etc completely changed the rules and perspectives . If she wants she will continue to talk and say yes. If she's hesitant you'll understand. If you don't , she will make it clear you do eheh.

As a person without a Facebook, I was tempted to make an account solely for Tinder; but then I realized my ogre-ish ass would probably still be out of place on that damned thing considering it's more about hookups than dating.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

Top Bottom