• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

As a person without a Facebook, I was tempted to make an account solely for Tinder; but then I realized my ogre-ish ass would probably still be out of place on that damned thing considering it's more about hookups than dating.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

You'd be surprised. People just want to use it as a way to meet each other... then they decide how it goes from there. Why not just think of it that way?

huxley00

I went on my first online date ever last night, went pretty good! I wouldn't say it was a match, but it's someone I could be friends with I think. We had a lot of similar interests, similar background and the conversation flowed nicely, so that was good. Just kept it somewhat short, went for a walk around a popular park in the area that goes along the river.

Also, I've had a ton of luck with this picture in my profile, trying to tease/make fun of the online dating stereotype, seems to work!

http://i.imgur.com/gel14cW.jpg

I went on my first online date ever last night, went pretty good! I wouldn't say it was a match, but it's someone I could be friends with I think. We had a lot of similar interests, similar background and the conversation flowed nicely, so that was good. Just kept it somewhat short, went for a walk around a popular park in the area that goes along the river.

Also, I've had a ton of luck with this picture in my profile, trying to tease/make fun of the online dating stereotype, seems to work!

http://i.imgur.com/gel14cW.jpg

You're a handsome cat. I don't understand your insecurity with online dating.

huxley00

You're a handsome cat. I don't understand your insecurity with online dating.

I was REALLY nerdy, fat and insecure in my early 20s all the way to my late 20s. Even if I look good now, I still carry that old person with me and to me its hard to get past it for whatever reason.

I was REALLY nerdy, fat and insecure in my early 20s all the way to my late 20s. Even if I look good now, I still carry that old person with me and to me its hard to get past it for whatever reason.
I hear you. I was a massive nerd in high school so whenever I see a cool kid from high school I turn into that kid again. I'm in my mid 20s now and I'm looking to get back into the shape I used to be in early college. So while I am more confident I'm not as confident as I could be as if I lost a few pounds and regained some muscle again.

Women like endearing. Your story is endearing. You'll be fine.

Salamando

I'm pretty sure you're me, only three years (and a bunch of biceps) later. Turned 30 last month, weighed in at 80 pounds less than where I was at my heaviest. This month, I finally completed 3 miles in under 30 minutes (and that's including a 5 minute warm up walk). Next month, I start seeing a personal trainer twice a week. Few months of that, hopefully my noodle arms won't be so noodly.

Currently chatting up three gorgeous ladies and hitting it off really well. The one I'm most interested in because she's a pretty big gamer and I are constantly chatting with each other. Near the end of today I'll ask if she would like to grab a cup of coffee sometime this weekend.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Sent our the regular barrage of messages. Actually writing unique messages to everybody gets tiring after a while, I see why so many guys just say something like "hey."

As for moderating, I have not seen one dick today. Instead, I'm getting a bunch of vaginas. Looking at the mod comments, it seems more women are on today than normal. I had suspected that it tries to show male reported accounts to men and female ones to women. At the same time, you're kind of in a pool with other mods voting on the same or similar images. So, I suspect that with more women on, and me being in a pool of mostly women, that that's why that's happening.

Rest

So I just looked at a profile that I was pretty sure I hid a while ago, because it used to show it to me constantly and I wasn't interested. The picture looked different somehow, so instead of just hiding it I took a look. It seemed oddly familiar.

It turns out I've met the person. I've got to say she's a lot different from how her profile would make her seem. I'm not sure what I'll do with that information. Send messages to people who aren't that appealing? She's better looking in person too, which makes me wonder how many people are good looking, and just not photogenic.

Jhoan

Met up with a girl earlier in the neighborhood Starbucks. She lives about a 7 minute walk away from me (not the Mexican girl) on the same street as me but several avenues over. I thought it went well; we both have similar trades (freelancers)/interests and love Junot Diaz. Plus she pretty damn funny to boot which is always a plus in my book when I go out with girls since I love that stuff. For someone who had two pictures deliberately), she looked a lot better in person so don't dismiss people who only have two pics folks and give them a chance.

Not sure if I got a friend vibe from her or vice versa, but definitely will follow up with her on OKC and suggest that we do it again since I really had fun. She was laughing at all my jokes and we sat close together on a park bench so that was a good sign plus our legs were pointing in the same direction. Too bad my phone is down which she jokingly teased me about but it was all good. If she says that she wasn't feeling then, I'll definitely suggest being friends without any hesitation because I really feel like she a lot of connections that can open doors for me professionally.

Tomorrow begins a gauntlet of a weekend of being all over the place and working Saturday and Sunday. Lord have mercy on me to get through it all because I will be exhausted by the time the dust settles.

Got my weekend slate planned: catching up with a lawyer friend of mine tomorrow night (except, she wants to date me, it seems). Got a date on either Saturday or Sunday with another girl who's moving here this weekend, depending on her ability to get settled in her apartment. And then, a date Monday night with... a chick whose profile picture was her in a Vulpix costume. I was impressed/scared/captivated.

huxley00

Got my weekend slate planned: catching up with a lawyer friend of mine tomorrow night (except, she wants to date me, it seems). Got a date on either Saturday or Sunday with another girl who's moving here this weekend, depending on her ability to get settled in her apartment. And then, a date Monday night with... a chick whose profile picture was her in a Vulpix costume. I was impressed/scared/captivated.

Good luck sir!

I have my first few dates coming up, one on Sunday with a lawyer (it seems like there is a lot of lawyers on this site, at my age anyway). She has fairly nerdy interests and we had a lot of back and forth about Dark Crystal and other unusual movies, should be pretty fun.

I have a second date setup on Tuesday with a stunning hairdresser. I've never been so confident/smooth in a back and forth communication in my life. I somehow ended up convincing her to let me go to her house to cut my hair on her day off and follow that up with some drinks, with the caveat that she gets to ask me whatever she wants when she cuts my hair. Probably the weirdest date idea I've had in my life, but I'm pretty excited about it.

gaiages

Banned
I'm glad they do it. Nothing worse than reading half way down before you find that crap.

I think he meant less putting something about God at the top of the page, but more saying something like "I put God first in my life" or putting God #1 in the "Six things I can't live without" section on OKC.

Rest

I think he meant less putting something about God at the top of the page, but more saying something like "I put God first in my life" or putting God #1 in the "Six things I can't live without" section on OKC.
Ah. Well, it's not like it's a themed site. Most people in America are part of a religion, so at least some of the people you meet are going to be devout.

Salamando

I like it when I find a truly-Liberal-but-religious woman. I'm more agnostic than anything, but I was raised Catholic, and there's a lot of good lessons in religion. People just need to not let priests or republicans do all their thinking for them.

The first.

Nothing like reading that to be a massive turn off for what is easily a huge percentage of possible suitors.

The lady had a tattoo across her entire side that covered half her belly that said "hail mary full of grace"

I mean. Why would you do that lol

Jhoan

Good luck sir!

I have my first few dates coming up, one on Sunday with a lawyer (it seems like there is a lot of lawyers on this site, at my age anyway). She has fairly nerdy interests and we had a lot of back and forth about Dark Crystal and other unusual movies, should be pretty fun.

I have a second date setup on Tuesday with a stunning hairdresser. I've never been so confident/smooth in a back and forth communication in my life. I somehow ended up convincing her to let me go to her house to cut my hair on her day off and follow that up with some drinks, with the caveat that she gets to ask me whatever she wants when she cuts my hair. Probably the weirdest date idea I've had in my life, but I'm pretty excited about it.

Where do I get myself a hairdresser so I can get a free haircut like that? That sounds like a cool idea just make sure not to smoke weed afterwards and hope that she doesn't show you boy shorts that say "I'd hit that" only for you to laugh it off and say that was funny.
reference to a GAF member's clueless romantic advance moment.

It's late at night and I have to be up in less than 3 hours to go to work but I have an update on the girl I went out with on Thursday. She replied and said that she had fun as well so *gasp* I hit it off with her so that's cool. I suppose my proximity to her and my availability does help that it fits with her schedule. She seems really cool and endearing in a way that I like. Suggested going to a Mexican place in the nabe as well going over to a nice park in the area afterwards. Seems like things are good. I haven't revealed to her that I live with my mother as well but only that I live with my brother. That's something that can be revealed organically.

Started talking to a girl who lives in CT but eh, the distance bothers me a bit given my past experience with it. She said it can work since there is transportation/ways of getting to and from so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see where it goes

Been messaging another teacher left and right on Google Hangouts but this weekend is packed so I on't be able to see here until next weekend.

And lastly I have something set up for Tuesday with another girl so it looks the dating life is pretty bountiful these days. I've cut back on messaging new girls so I don't get overwhelmed/watch my finances carefully. Keeps getting Likes left and right but c'est la vie and I contacted the Mexican girl I'm having casual sex with so she doesn't go thinking I went missing being without a trace. Better get some sleep. Have a nice weekend folks!

You know it's a small city when you're out with someone, visit a comedy show, and the second act is the girl you've just dated, who didn't want to see you after 5 dates, cracking jokes about being single.

huxley00

Where do I get myself a hairdresser so I can get a free haircut like that? That sounds like a cool idea just make sure not to smoke weed afterwards and hope that she doesn't show you boy shorts that say "I'd hit that" only for you to laugh it off and say that was funny.
reference to a GAF member's clueless romantic advance moment.

It's late at night and I have to be up in less than 3 hours to go to work but I have an update on the girl I went out with on Thursday. She replied and said that she had fun as well so *gasp* I hit it off with her so that's cool. I suppose my proximity to her and my availability does help that it fits with her schedule. She seems really cool and endearing in a way that I like. Suggested going to a Mexican place in the nabe as well going over to a nice park in the area afterwards. Seems like things are good. I haven't revealed to her that I live with my mother as well but only that I live with my brother. That's something that can be revealed organically.

Started talking to a girl who lives in CT but eh, the distance bothers me a bit given my past experience with it. She said it can work since there is transportation/ways of getting to and from so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see where it goes

Been messaging another teacher left and right on Google Hangouts but this weekend is packed so I on't be able to see here until next weekend.

And lastly I have something set up for Tuesday with another girl so it looks the dating life is pretty bountiful these days. I've cut back on messaging new girls so I don't get overwhelmed/watch my finances carefully. Keeps getting Likes left and right but c'est la vie and I contacted the Mexican girl I'm having casual sex with so she doesn't go thinking I went missing being without a trace. Better get some sleep. Have a nice weekend folks!

Yeah, it was crazy, she just had a note in her profile about guys not bothering if they post a shirtless pic. I sent her my fake abs pic and it just kinda went from there. Should be a fun experience I think.

You guys are both in New York, right? Is that a single guys paradise?

Rest

You know it's a small city when you're out with someone, visit a comedy show, and the second act is the girl you've just dated, who didn't want to see you after 5 dates, cracking jokes about being single.

Daaaaamn.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
:lol

There was some epic fun potential there... But I can't think of a way that you can both have fun with the comic AND not offend your current date...

Risky move, she would have turned the heckle on him and then further shamed him in front of his current date, disaster imminent!

Haha. Nah, I was out with a friend (although it sorta morphed into a date; it's in that quasi-arena, I suppose), and I had no reason to heckle her. She's a great -- and funny, apparently -- girl. It's just something to add to the roster of ridiculous things that have happened to me, such as seeing a C-list Disney TV star naked and living in a trailer park with a pet raccoon.

gaiages

Banned

Wow, your life sounds like a sitcom or something.

Haha. Nah, I was out with a friend (although it sorta morphed into a date; it's in that quasi-arena, I suppose), and I had no reason to heckle her. She's a great -- and funny, apparently -- girl. It's just something to add to the roster of ridiculous things that have happened to me, such as seeing a C-list Disney TV star naked and living in a trailer park with a pet raccoon.

Wait wat

Rest

Hmm... Chatting with a girl, seeing something that I'm not sure if it's a red flag or not. Kind of personal, so I don't want to post it. If anyone is willing to give advice please PM me.

Hmm... Chatting with a girl, seeing something that I'm not sure if it's a red flag or not. Kind of personal, so I don't want to post it. If anyone is willing to give advice please PM me.

if you're already thinking it's a red flag, chances are you should follow your gut feeling and just consider it a negative.

As to myself, I'm starting to feel negative. Not because there aren't women interested, but because the grand majority pursuing me I have either no physical attraction for, or those that are cute/hot are like not at all what I want in a relationship.

And the ones I'm pursuing myself [aka cute geeky girls] are either never online or not interested in me to respond. And those are already slim pickings in my city. The best option I had was this gorgeous 18 year old, but that shit is just weird because she's younger than my younger sis. And unlike a cousin of mine who is doing just that, it bothers me too much.

Rest

if you're already thinking it's a red flag, chances are you should follow your gut feeling and just consider it a negative.

That's the thing, it doesn't feel like a red flag, but it is something really unusual. I don't know what to think about it.

Jhoan

It sounds a lot like the Seinfeld episode where Kathy Griffin's character goes out with Jerry only to poke fun of him in a stand up comedy routine that she did.
Yeah, it was crazy, she just had a note in her profile about guys not bothering if they post a shirtless pic. I sent her my fake abs pic and it just kinda went from there. Should be a fun experience I think.

You guys are both in New York, right? Is that a single guys paradise?
That's right. Yes and no because there's a ton of single women who are young professionals and/ or moved to the city recently that they want to meet new people in addition to students. Problem is some women set their expectations too high by expecting guys to have a full time job and be living with roommates. I would say that it comes and goes for me personally but it's definitely easy to meet single women at bars just as easy as it is to swipe right to one on Tinder. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah... GAF is truly stranger than fiction at times. Pet raccoon? Are you a ninja lawyer? Stuff like that should be pitched to a story telling organization/podcast such as Risk and The Moth since they would amazing to listen to.

As to myself, I'm starting to feel negative. Not because there aren't women interested, but because the grand majority pursuing me I have either no physical attraction for, or those that are cute/hot are like not at all what I want in a relationship.

And the ones I'm pursuing myself [aka cute geeky girls] are either never online or not interested in me to respond. And those are already slim pickings in my city. The best option I had was this gorgeous 18 year old, but that shit is just weird because she's younger than my younger sis. And unlike a cousin of mine who is doing just that, it bothers me too much.
Eh, I don't think ti's doing you any favors by trying to go after the "cute geeky girls" since you're essentially pushing yourself into a corner. If you want to meet those types easily, I'll definitely recommend going to conventions and/or volunteering. I think the most interesting girls are those who you find out are a secret nerds later.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

for some reason a comedy show about a lawyer that has nothing to do about laws or cases or clients, and just about his dating life with strange moments would be a show i would watch

its like reverse fish out of water.

for some reason a comedy show about a lawyer that has nothing to do about laws or cases or clients, and just about his dating life with strange moments would be a show i would watch

its like reverse fish out of water.

My date just left-- went out dancing, went back to my place, had a heartfelt conversation, etc., and now I have enough time to do laundry and play some 3DS.

... am I Chandler? Anyway, I'd need co-stars. Does it help that I bounce everything off of my ex-wife, who's my #1 dating consultant?

I'll answer a few of these. The C-list star and I talked dirt about Shia LaBeef, and she still owes me french fries. Really sweet girl, honestly. She scored underage me some liquor. (She was dating my roommate, not me.)

As far as the raccoon, I lived in a trailer park with a cheerleader during college to save money on rent, and the thing moved into our bathroom during the winter months. Ended up escaping at one point, scratching up and biting my roommate, and getting shot by our neighbors. I think we angered the raccoon gods, because not long afterwards, a tree fell on our trailer and smashed in the roof.

In any case, apropos of this thread, I gotta conjure up a first date idea for tomorrow.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
My date just left-- went out dancing, went back to my place, had a heartfelt conversation, etc., and now I have enough time to do laundry and play some 3DS.

... am I Chandler? Anyway, I'd need co-stars. Does it help that I bounce everything off of my ex-wife, who's my #1 dating consultant?

lol yes.

i suppose her being the only "normal" woman in this theoretical show life would be sitcommy, but i'm not sure how i would personally prefer it. if she was half normal/half crazy or likes to play pranks on you while you are on your dates

this is a great idea, ahyup.

I'll answer a few of these. The C-list star and I talked dirt about Shia LaBeef, and she still owes me french fries. Really sweet girl, honestly. She scored underage me some liquor. (She was dating my roommate, not me.)

As far as the raccoon, I lived in a trailer park with a cheerleader during college to save money on rent, and the thing moved into our bathroom during the winter months. Ended up escaping at one point, scratching up and biting my roommate, and getting shot by our neighbors. I think we angered the raccoon gods, because not long afterwards, a tree fell on our trailer and smashed in the roof.

In any case, apropos of this thread, I gotta conjure up a first date idea for tomorrow.

that's a flashback episode right there

So I created a dummy fb account and 6tin for my windows phone. I log onto tinder and enter my phone number, and I get an error that says maximum tokens error.

what gives?

A cute girl randomly added me on Facebook the other day. I looked at her profile to make sure that it was real, and that she wasn't one of those fake profiles that uses the image of a good-looking girl to spread the news about a club or whatever they do. It seemed legit, so I added her out of curiosity. She's also friends with someone I know.

I checked today, and there was a message from her, introducing herself. I guess Facebook suggested that she knew me and she decided to believe it and went with it. She said to tell me about myself, and we'd see where things went from there.

I'm not exactly sure of what she meant, but she seems nice.

I'm also still talking to people on dating sites. The conversations are going okay, but that's about it. There's definitely potential, but I've been sick with a cold and haven't felt up to asking anyone out on a date.

Galang

Banned

That would make me super uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me, but after 5 dates I would have felt the person was at least somewhat interested. I haven't made it past 3 the past year

I took a closer look at her profile now that I'm on a computer instead of on my phone, and noticed that it seems recent. It looks like she has added people randomly, and all of her pictures were uploaded yesterday.

I unfriended her for now, just in case. I'll see what she says in reply. I also asked a mutual friend -- whose list she likely found me on -- if he actually knows her.

I took a closer look at her profile now that I'm on a computer instead of on my phone, and noticed that it seems recent. It looks like she has added people randomly, and all of her pictures were uploaded yesterday.

I unfriended her for now, just in case. I'll see what she says in reply. I also asked a mutual friend -- whose list she likely found me on -- if he actually knows her.

yeah massive red flag when somebody adds you and is adding people without a real pattern. If it's a cute/hot girl even more so if it's not just her reopening her facebook, which would have kept all of her info and friends.

What do people do that for anyways?

They want to pretend it's to focus on something important like a career or test week and they have no self control, but in reality it's always a cry for attention where they HAVE to be the center of the world.

I have a friend who like every other week tells peopleshe's deleting facebook. I've just unfollowed her so I don't have to constantly see her whining in my facebook feed.

They want to pretend it's to focus on something important like a career or test week and they have no self control, but in reality it's always a cry for attention where they HAVE to be the center of the world.

I have a friend who like every other week tells peopleshe's deleting facebook. I've just unfollowed her so I don't have to constantly see her whining in my facebook feed.

Ah

What I meant was why do people create these fake Facebook accounts with good looking girls' photos and add a bunch of guys? What's the end game? Getting them to fall in love online and send money?

Ah

What I meant was why do people create these fake Facebook accounts with good looking girls' photos and add a bunch of guys? What's the end game? Getting them to fall in love online and send money?

Oh those.

I have no idea. Seems to me like it's somewhere where in your train of thought. Get a bunch of guys to be friends with you and then convince them to go to a website or to buy a product or to send money. Somebody must've written an article investigating this.

I got tinder working.

is there a way to view different people without rating them?

also, what's the X and O for?

thanks

Rate them?

You hit X (or swipe left)if you're not interested in them. You hit the Heart (or swipe right) if you're attracted to them. If they've also did the same you'll then be matched and be able to message each other.

Top Bottom