• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Lol

When one of the girls you're really into messages you that she wants to meet up minutes before your plane leaves for a weekend trip.

I told her I'd love to once I come back.

99hertz

Is there a website/app where if I like a girl and she likes me too when can meet up and have sex? I thought Tinder was it but I hear about people getting dates on Tinder unless they're sex dates which I don't know.

Leeness

Honestly, I couldn't say. That kind of stuff has never made sense to me.

I'm one to assume that most people are just stupid. Maybe those guys aren't able to assess a profile, make a judgement about the user, and write a message based on that. They might only be capable of absorbing visual information. Maybe they're trolling.

Seriously, does anyone here send that kind of stuff? What's the deal?
As judgmental as what I wrote above sounds, I promise not to judge anyone that comes forward. Believe <3

I don't know. I just don't get it.

I find it so strange. Like, there's no way to respond to it haha.

Jhoan

Teacher girl decided to can the trip because she a lot of work to do for school then said that she might go out tonight. It's better that way because I save money and I'm still sick.

I told her that it sounds like she's gonna be busy as the weeks ramp up and that we have different schedules so I told her that if she ever wants to meet up/chat, I'll be around. I had been talking to her for 3 weeks without meeting up on and off so I'm moving on. If she was really interested, she would have made the time for me.

huxley00

Teacher girl decided to can the trip because she a lot of work to do for school then said that she might go out tonight. It's better that way because I save money and I'm still sick.

I told her that it sounds like she's gonna be busy as the weeks ramp up and that we have different schedules so I told her that if she ever wants to meet up/chat, I'll be around. I had been talking to her for 3 weeks without meeting up on and off so I'm moving on. If she was really interested, she would have made the time for me.

That sucks, was it someone you were really into? It seems that there is some level of difficulty getting people to meet when you chat with them a long time online. Like you said, if they were that interested, they would have made it happen. Then again, I think sometimes people are just scared or tired of online dating and throw away good chances like this for no real reason, sorry dude!

megamerican

So, delayed messaging...in order for it to work, the girl has to like you already. It all comes down to uncertainty. If you message a girl a lot and suddenly stop, you create uncertainty. It gets in people's minds...did something happen to the guy, did he find someone else, was he not that interested to me to begin with (how many guys here have had these same thoughts?). And that gets them thinking...and the more they think about you, the more their mind rationalizes that they're thinking about you because they like you.

And I'm not making this up, they've done studies on it - http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/12/17/0956797610393745.abstract

But at the end of the day it all comes down to the girl / guy you're talking with. I haven't been sending the first messages lately, so I know there's interest on their part. I find the ones that reply almost instantly will fall off if I delay messages. I think some people use it almost like a chatting service. And usually the faster they respond the less likely their messages try to continue the conversation, so it's not a big loss.

Without question though the best interactions both online and in person have been from the ones where we exchanged 1 - 2 more substantive messages a day.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Clearing out some old messages, I decided to read some to compare what I was sending then that almost never worked to what I'm sending now that's a bit more successful. There's a girl who's picture is her holding a mug full of coffee that's a big as her head. My message was
How's your day going? I see your picture, and I've got to ask: where were you at that they serve bowls of coffee? Did it have stuff floating in it like soup? You could drown a small child in that thing...

I'd forgotten all about it, and that shit made me laugh. I wish more women appreciated my sense of humor...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
That didn't go well. Felt like an interview and she was tired from the morning hike she went on.

I used this last night as well. I was tired from the chick the night before haha. I think she put my hips out.

Had a good Friday night, Netflix and "chilling" or whatever.

Saturday night went and seen American Ultra with another chick and then some Netflix but no chilling, it was alright, I made it weird for a bit though...

Jhoan

That sucks, was it someone you were really into? It seems that there is some level of difficulty getting people to meet when you chat with them a long time online. Like you said, if they were that interested, they would have made it happen. Then again, I think sometimes people are just scared or tired of online dating and throw away good chances like this for no real reason, sorry dude!
She felt bad about it that she responded and said that it doesn't help that I'm 2 hours away from her but said that she would let me know when she has got some free time. I replied and said that there's always a half way point so the distance wouldn't be a problem at all.

There's always silver linings because I've been messaging a new wave of girls but I think I think I'm going to take it a lot more easier on the dating this month. I'll elaborate below on what's been working for me.

Slightly off-topic: I'm watching a movie called Missed Connections, a rom-com about a girl who uses a pseudo-craigslist style website to try to find this British dude she only briefly met but her ex- IT tech company co-worker finds out and tries to pine for her by posting a missed connection ad to meet with her. Co-worker promises to make an app to try to find the dude (and take out the competition), asks her out on a series of secret dates much to her being oblivious. The guy's actions are stalker type/obsessive/douchey for a rom com that it wouldn't fly in real life at all.
Clearing out some old messages, I decided to read some to compare what I was sending then that almost never worked to what I'm sending now that's a bit more successful. There's a girl who's picture is her holding a mug full of coffee that's a big as her head. My message was
How's your day going? I see your picture, and I've got to ask: where were you at that they serve bowls of coffee? Did it have stuff floating in it like soup? You could drown a small child in that thing...
I'd forgotten all about it, and that shit made me laugh. I wish more women appreciated my sense of humor...
I can see why it didn't get you a reply and will point out what's wrong with this message. First of all, I think you bombarded the girl with too many questions all at once. Second I think the dark sense of humor remark turned her off at the end turned her off since it made you sound condescending/like a jerk (I'm in no means insulting you as a person before you go up in arms). Lastly, I don't think it sounds funny and it doesn't have to be funny so long as you express genuine interest. Keep in mind that what you might find funny, another person might not like at all.

Personally, my version of that same message would go as follows:

Say what's the story behind the picture of you holding a giant coffee mug? It looks really interesting that I've never seen it in any coffee shop that I've been to.

It's simple and to the point because it's one sentence asking about the other person and the other sentence is me commenting on why it stood out to me. It's gotten me a good amount of replies that I continue to use it to this day although it's had its share of misses.

Or to modify your original message, this is what it would look like:

I see [the] picture [you holding that giant coffee mug], and [it looks pretty cool]. Where [in insert your city here would one be able to get such a huge sized cup of Joe?]
Another type of message that has been getting replies/dates has been the Knock-knock joke message when a girl "Likes" me since it serves as a great ice breaker. One can use any knock-knock joke that they've heard so long as it isn't crass/sexual (unless that's what one is looking for). The one that I've been saying has been Orange. Girl says Orange who? Orange you glad I messaged you first? Girl usually laughs, then we proceed into a regular conversation about the other person.

It also helps that my pictures are pretty damn solid as well as my profile. Messaging girls has gotten really easy for me that my reply rate is high. It doesn't bother me any more if a girl doesn't reply but glazes over my profile despite "Liking" me. All a numbers game so one stranger isn't going to keep me down.

Lulubop

Ouch! I'm sorry to see that. Never broken a limb but I imagine the pain must be...unpleasant to say the least. *knocks on wood*

It goes to show that our lovely city has its share of cray-cray people out in the online dating world. What's the story behind this bad tinder date/the arm break? How did that happen? Need more details so do elaborate.

Yea, it's the first time I've broken anything. Not to painful aside from the first few hours. It's been more annoying than anything.

The Tinder date was kinda impromptu. She looked nothing like her pics and was much bigger. I knew her time was limited so I just waited it out, didn't even get a drink. Afterward I meet up with my best friend and one of his friends from outta town. I got drunk quick, and while waiting for the L decided arm wrestling vs him was a good idea... then pop. Everyone on the platform heard it. Yea. Feeling better now, although being couped at home is giving me cabin fever.

Had to cancel my date today with the girl i hooked up last week and really liked her. when i told her she was like super concerned, even offered to bring me over some stuff. i didnt take her up on that offer tho. that said she told me she understand that the arm situation sucks and that she wants to help cheer me up. we had tentative plans for maybe something in the week but she hit me up today and was like you should talk to me when you've recovered, get well soon. i was like oh, welp.

Rest

I'll never understand these girls that put their names in their profiles. I'm looking at one now, and she has her first name, her middle initial, and her last name right at the top. So dangerous...

Oh I definitely wouldn't send something like that now, I know exactly why she didn't respond. But I'd like to find someone who would respond to that.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
How can you tell if a girl is down for a hook up on Tinder or at least 6tin? It's like all these girls aren't down for hook ups.

Well if they seem comfortable with coming over to your place or you going to theirs you have a chance. I like to make that happen in person though. Start with a drink, ask them to go on a walk, get dinner, ask if they want to "watch Netflix".

I don't know if this works with very hot girls (fml).

Salamando

Well if they seem comfortable with coming over to your place or you going to theirs you have a chance. I like to make that happen in person though. Start with a drink, ask them to go on a walk, get dinner, ask if they want to "watch Netflix".

I don't know if this works with very hot girls (fml).

That watching Netflix has become slang for sex scares me. It's damn likely that I'll be behind the times when the next "slang for sex" comes out, and I'm worried about how easily it'll be to offend people.

Like I'll ask them if they want to go out for Thai, and they'll just reply "pervert!" and block me. How was I supposed to know that's the new term for watching a girl binge eat and then regurgitate all over herself?

Jhoan

Yea, it's the first time I've broken anything. Not to painful aside from the first few hours. It's been more annoying than anything.

The Tinder date was kinda impromptu. She looked nothing like her pics and was much bigger. I knew her time was limited so I just waited it out, didn't even get a drink. Afterward I meet up with my best friend and one of his friends from outta town. I got drunk quick, and while waiting for the L decided arm wrestling vs him was a good idea... then pop. Everyone on the platform heard it. Yea. Feeling better now, although being couped at home is giving me cabin fever.

Had to cancel my date today with the girl i hooked up last week and really liked her. when i told her she was like super concerned, even offered to bring me over some stuff. i didnt take her up on that offer tho. that said she told me she understand that the arm situation sucks and that she wants to help cheer me up. we had tentative plans for maybe something in the week but she hit me up today and was like you should talk to me when you've recovered, get well soon. i was like oh, welp.
Hahaha, that's why you don't do arm wrestling while you're drunk./Arrested Development reference Sorry to hear about the girl not looking like her pics but it happens.

I hear you on the cabin fever stuff man. Finally came out the house to hit the gym and run some errands after 4 days of not having gone outside due to being sick. Still coughing but between yesterday and today, I'm feeling a lot stronger and good to be out in the sun. My room needs a good cleaning once I fully recover.

I think I'm coming around getting over the Mexican girl that I've been thinking about contacting her as friends. I feel like she would genuinely make a good platonic friend for reasons related to my professional career as well as having a local friend to meet up and talk arts/other stuff.
I'll never understand these girls that put their names in their profiles. I'm looking at one now, and she has her first name, her middle initial, and her last name right at the top. So dangerous...

Oh I definitely wouldn't send something like that now, I know exactly why she didn't respond. But I'd like to find someone who would respond to that.
Hahaha, your observations are hilarious. Maybe guys want to know who they are or they could be using a pseudonym. I heard that Candi_Suxx isn't taken.

Rest

Hahaha, your observations are hilarious. Maybe guys want to know who they are or they could be using a pseudonym. I heard that Candi_Suxx isn't taken.
Nah, she's got links to all her social media on her profile, I'm 90% certain it's really her name.

Greymanic

Neo Member
Hi folks!

First time in the topic, and I'll admit I'm unfortunately here for somewhat selfish reasons. Where to begin...after 2 years of finishing college, and unfortunately still living with my parents given the nature of housing currently, I find myself rather lonely. Most of my friends are moving on, starting to settle and me having been single since forever really, I'm having trouble breaking into the online dating game.

I'm not perfect, but I recently started a match.com profile listed here. If people were willing to glance at it, and give me some tips I'd be extremely grateful!

EDIT: Alright, I also cannot figure out how to direct link my profile to save my life, profile name is Crispy, location is Ireland.

gaiages

Banned

Sounds like my former friend's Tinder profile. It was just a pic of her with a huge ass coffee mug taking over like half the picture. I thought it looked kinda meh, but she did well on there, so who knows :p

huxley00

We have any success stories here? Anyone currently dating someone they met or had a long term relationship from online dating?

I don't know if I have the energy to deal with sending more and more messages via online dating sites. I'm just not interesting enough, and it never works out.

I don't know if I have the energy to deal with sending more and more messages via online dating sites. I'm just not interesting enough, and it never works out.

So why continue to waste your time? You need to change something otherwise you'll keep seeing the same results.

The most frustrating thing in dating is to keep pursuing above-average girls without becoming an above-average man. Yet I see guys do it all the time. It's like banging your head against the wall.

You have a few options:

1. Lower your standards more and go after women with lower dating value.
2. Increase your own dating value so you become more appealing to more women.
3. Do neither and keep trying with no results.
4. Give up.

Again: you need to change something otherwise you'll keep seeing the same results.

So why continue to waste your time? You need to change something otherwise you'll keep seeing the same results.

The most frustrating thing in dating is to keep pursuing above-average girls without becoming an above-average man. Yet I see guys do it all the time. It's like banging your head against the wall.

You have a few options:

4. Give up.

Again: you need to change something otherwise you'll keep seeing the same results.

The best thing to do would be to change myself, but that's going to take a while.

I don't go for above-average women, and generally have very flexible standards. I just have no personality, and am hindered by not being very attractive.

gaiages

Banned
We have any success stories here? Anyone currently dating someone they met or had a long term relationship from online dating?

Yeah, I met my boyfriend via OKCupid back in May, and overall things have been going really well! :) We're probably still in that puppy love phase, but he easily deals with my outbursts (I'm a bit bipolar and can quickly get insanely mad over nothing, but I cool down quick if left alone) and we like similar stuff, so even though we're just at one or the another's place 90% of the time, we're never really bored :3 Now if I could just get him to stop playing Mario Kart 64 all the time and get him to admit the glory of Mario Kart 8...

freshair

The last two girls I've dated I met off Tinder. And before that it was okc.

Things just ended with the latest Tinder girl after two months.

And earlier this week I've had my quickest encounter ever. From first swiping right to making conversation to going over to her place in a matter of a few hours. &#128513;&#128077;

Gray Matter

I live pretty much next to a college that has some damn good looking girls. With the school year starting, a brand new set of pictures, and a witty description hopefully I can get a few matches and possibly dates out of tinder this time.

Rest

So, I was checking out an apartment today, I'm talking with the manager, taking the tour as you do. I see a lady walk up, she looks kinda familiar, but I can't place where I've seen her. I'm talking to the guy right outside the door of the apartment I'm going to rent, and this lady walks up to the next apartment. She sticks her key in the door, and I realize who it is: It's the swinger chick with the crazy boyfriend.

I guess I'm not moving in there. I'm kinda bummed, it was the cheapest apartment in the city :(

Sounds like my former friend's Tinder profile. It was just a pic of her with a huge ass coffee mug taking over like half the picture. I thought it looked kinda meh, but she did well on there, so who knows :p

Did she have short brown hair?

Edit:
Whoa_zpsw3wopiaa.png

Well that's never happened before. I must be doing something right.

Assanova

I met both my last and current girlfriend on Match. Right now, I am probably the happiest I have ever been with a girl since high school. Women like her are definitely hard to come by anymore.

You have a few options:

4. Give up.

This is the main problem with online dating. People are almost incapable of objectively looking at what they have to offer the opposite sex, don't put in any effort to change, and don't want to lower their standards because "reasons".

tch

What is a good/funny answer to a Tinder question: "How may licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?" ? I'm drawing a blank.

gaiages

Banned
So, I was checking out an apartment today, I'm talking with the manager, taking the tour as you do. I see a lady walk up, she looks kinda familiar, but I can't place where I've seen her. I'm talking to the guy right outside the door of the apartment I'm going to rent, and this lady walks up to the next apartment. She sticks her key in the door, and I realize who it is: It's the swinger chick with the crazy boyfriend.

I guess I'm not moving in there. I'm kinda bummed, it was the cheapest apartment in the city :(

Did she have short brown hair?

Edit:
Whoa_zpsw3wopiaa.png

Well that's never happened before. I must be doing something right.

Aw, don't give up on an apartment just because someone you saw once lives there :p She probably wouldn't even recognize you (no offense to that).

Oh, she has dirty blonde hair, I can't remember the length. She's in a relationship anyway (and I doubt you live in the same area as I do :3).

aka "Oh, you go and make all the money while I sit at home and spend it on new shoes"

huxley00

I met both my last and current girlfriend on Match. Right now, I am probably the happiest I have ever been with a girl since high school. Women like her are definitely hard to come by anymore.

This is the main problem with online dating. People are almost incapable of objectively looking at what they have to offer the opposite sex, don't put in any effort to change, and don't want to lower their standards because "reasons".

Glad to hear it, I have a 3rd date with someone tonight, she a fashion merchandiser and we spent the first date talking about Star Trek TNG and last date at her apartment making out and watching Beetlejuice...so I have somewhat highish hopes for this one.

tch

haha maybe. I kinda doubt it though, I've never ran into an obvious bot where I live. Anyway I didn't reply immediately and she unmatched me.

Bumhead

Banned
Has anyone experienced the Server Error woes with Tinder?

Says cannot connect to server, and will stay like that and keep saying it at every attempt to log in. Potentially for days/weeks. Just seems to lock you out of your account.

I've tried uninstalling the app and even Facebook from my iPhone. Occasionally this works, but there doesn't appear to be a science behind it.

Has anyone else had this and know how to solve it?

freshair

Has anyone experienced the Server Error woes with Tinder?

Says cannot connect to server, and will stay like that and keep saying it at every attempt to log in. Potentially for days/weeks. Just seems to lock you out of your account.

I've tried uninstalling the app and even Facebook from my iPhone. Occasionally this works, but there doesn't appear to be a science behind it.

Has anyone else had this and know how to solve it?

Do you have 2 FB accounts?

Rest

Aw, don't give up on an apartment just because someone you saw once lives there :p She probably wouldn't even recognize you (no offense to that).
Hmm... Did you read the stuff I posted? It was in email tags, I can find it if you never saw it. Plus, I have few more emails I didn't post (which I may not,) but also some other stuff that the boyfriend and his wife posted on other sites. It's... Interesting stuff.

I think she would recognize me though. She wouldn't agree to meet me in person so I looked her up (with her permission,) I found her professional email and sent her a message to confirm her identity, and I think it freaked her out.

Man, I freaked those weirdos out... What does that say about me?

Edit: Oh shit, a girl just invited me to her Karate dojo. Finally something that is going somewhere.

Jhoan

Welp, was told that I came off too strong so that's that with the chick who lives in my neighborhood. Good to know for the future so she did me a solid by telling me that.

I shouldn't have asked about the scattering of her grandma's ashes since she brought it up but said that she wasn't comfortable with that (I realized it after I sent it that I should have changed the subject). =/ Ah well live and learn. I was hoping to remain friends with her since she had a good network but I don't think she was down for that so I deleted her number/texts. On to the next one.

Top Bottom