• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

huxley00

Welp, was told that I came off too strong so that's that with the chick who lives in my neighborhood. Good to know for the future so she did me a solid by telling me that.

I shouldn't have asked about the scattering of her grandma's ashes since she brought it up but said that she wasn't comfortable with that (I realized it after I sent it that I should have changed the subject). =/ Ah well live and learn. I was hoping to remain friends with her since she had a good network but I don't think she was down for that so I deleted her number/texts. On to the next one.

Yeah, that can be a bit tough. It seems best to keep texting/messaging a bit light...but it does seem that girls react positively to conversation in person that goes a bit above surface level. We can all only handle the "what do you do" type conversation so much before we want to throw ourselves out a window. Keep up the good fight!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
is that so if you turn out to be a creep she can karate chop your ass with her friends or something?
I'm sure. Actually, it's kind of the perfect place for a first meeting. If the person does turn out to be a weirdo, they not only don't know anything about you (like what car you drive etc.,) they also won't know anything about your social circle. And, if they do try something weird or aggressive, there's a room full of people that know you and will help you kick their ass.

Rest

[...]had to put bisexual but I'm demiromantic and pansexual.
There are now officially too many labels for sexuality. I can't keep up with them, nor do I want to. Can we please get the the point where it's distilled to basics? "I have a (penis/vagina) and I like (penises/vaginas/both/neither)."

Rest

So again someone deactivated or deleted their account, but this time as I was writing them a message. Has this happened to anyone else?

Assanova

Ok one more time. How do you tell if a girl is down for a hookup? All these ladies tryna find a daddy for their kids or don't want to hookup.

Trying to find a dad for their kids? You must be on Plenty of Fish. There is no secret formula for telling if a girl wants to hook-up or not. Either the girl will make it obvious or you just have to know what you want and go for it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There are now officially too many labels for sexuality. I can't keep up with them, nor do I want to. Can we please get the the point where it's distilled to basics? "I have a (penis/vagina) and I like (penises/vaginas/both/neither)."

i heard pansexual before, but demiromantic means nothing.

people like to be unique with their sexuality now, apparently. special snowflake syndrome.

Rest

i heard pansexual before, but demiromantic means nothing.

people like to be unique with their sexuality now, apparently. special snowflake syndrome.
Pansexual I'm familiar with, but it's still unnecessary. I'm just fed up with trying to guess what they hell people mean when they talk about their "sexual identity." I don't even have a sexual identity.

Salamando

Pansexual I'm familiar with, but it's still unnecessary. I'm just fed up with trying to guess what they hell people mean when they talk about their "sexual identity." I don't even have a sexual identity.

Have you encountered a Sapiosexual yet? Now that's an unnecessary sexual identity.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

you can literally put any prefix to "sexual" and it means something different, but it actually means something that doesn't actually mean what the prefix means, so its like an incorrect designation of that word to that thing they are describing, and i have no idea who the hell is defining these words and who is the authority

Leeness

Sure you do. You just don't define it. :p

huxley00

So again someone deactivated or deleted their account, but this time as I was writing them a message. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yeah, I guess I've done the same as well though. They may just be dating someone, seeing a few people or maybe just need a break, just have to roll w/ the punches unfortunately. As with the stages of grief, there is the stages of online dating

1. Denial
2. Grief
3. Anger
4. Hopelessness
5. Abject Joy

Not necessarily in that order.

Nothing is a bigger turn off for me than a girl who just writes "ask me I'll let you know if you're good enough" or something similar in her About Me. I get that you're confident but your time isn't any more precious than anybody else no matter how pretty you are.

Llyranor

Nothing is a bigger turn off for me than a girl who just writes "ask me I'll let you know if you're good enough" or something similar in her About Me. I get that you're confident but your time isn't any more precious than anybody else no matter how pretty you are.
What about those 'dont msg me if you have a bathroom selfie' barebones profiles that have bathroom selfies?

My listed restriction was pretty much just 'no anti-vaxxers', haha.

Rest

Have you encountered a Sapiosexual yet? Now that's an unnecessary sexual identity.
I have, those ones tend to annoy me less because they'll often actually explain what it is that they mean and what they're looking for.

Sure you do. You just don't define it. :p
No, I don't actually. My identity is me. It's not my hair color, my skin color, the sound of my voice, where I live, the country I'm from, the food I like to eat, the clothes I wear, or who I like to fuck. Those are aspects of my existence, many of them are totally out of my control. They don't define me and I don't define them. They are not part of my identity.

Rest

I wouldn't be surprised if some people put stuff like "sapiosexual" just to be cool/trendy.
I do imagine that that's part of it. A tiny handful of people feel an emotional need which, for the sake of people that actually need it, I can respect. But there are just way too many people joining in. It's now some cultural fad, that serves only to obfusticate honest interaction with people who don't want to have to cut through extra layers of socio-philosophical wrapping.

Ten years ago people were pushing against labels like gay and straight, because at some levels they get in the way of sympathy, and blind some people to their inner sense of human decency. Now it's been reversed, everyone seems to want to pile them on, and they're becoming pointless contrivances.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me for now.

Leeness

I have, those ones tend to annoy me less because they'll often actually explain what it is that they mean and what they're looking for.

No, I don't actually. My identity is me. It's not my hair color, my skin color, the sound of my voice, where I live, the country I'm from, the food I like to eat, the clothes I wear, or who I like to fuck. Those are aspects of my existence, many of them are totally out of my control. They don't define me and I don't define them. They are not part of my identity.

Sure, but many people's sexual identity is part of their identity for them.

Just because you don't feel the need to advertise it, they obviously want to declare it. They're probably proud of that part of them.

gaiages

Banned
Sure, but many people's sexual identity is part of their identity for them.

Just because you don't feel the need to advertise it, they obviously want to declare it. They're probably proud of that part of them.

True, but it's a bit of a slippery slope, dealing with people that are 'proud' of something like that. People that buy heavily into a sexual culture like that are just like people that are into weed culture, [insert race] culture, or even heavily into a religion--mostly in the fact that, if you don't also feel strongly about the subject they do, it can be hard to get along with them. I've associated with people that shout their pansexuality to the heavens, people that are hyper-religious and rattle off quotes from the Bible, people that smoke weed every day and wear clothes with pot leaves on it, and they're all practically the same in terms of mentality. Many people are just about that one thing they base their lives on, and nothing else, and people that aren't about that one "culture" (or even people that are into said culture, but not THAT much into it). It's less like that's a part of them, and more that that IS them. This sounds mean, but they typically aren't a person that "enjoys video games, goes to a biking club once a week, and happens to be a bisexual", but rather is "I'm the ___sexual". They're trying to fill a hole in their personalities with a culture because they are failing to make themselves into a unique individual, for whatever reason.

So, yeah, I sorta agree more with Rest with what he said.

Rest

Okay, back on topic.

Karate girl's most recent message seems less enthusiastic, but she kept the invitation open and told me what her dojo is. I think this one will fizzle, but at least I will have met someone through this site finally.

I also got a message back and a mutual like from a girl I sent a message to months ago. Odd situation, she lives in Arizona, won't be moving to my area for several years, and is asexual. So... Yup.

Tallahassee? Mai man *fist bump*

All I see over here was "NolesFan21481934752" or the shooting range
Are you in the Tallahassee area? I have some family there, if there's a north Florida get together I may be able to visit them and swing by.

Leeness

True, but it's a bit of a slippery slope, dealing with people that are 'proud' of something like that. People that buy heavily into a sexual culture like that are just like people that are into weed culture, [insert race] culture, or even heavily into a religion--mostly in the fact that, if you don't also feel strongly about the subject they do, it can be hard to get along with them. I've associated with people that shout their pansexuality to the heavens, people that are hyper-religious and rattle off quotes from the Bible, people that smoke weed every day and wear clothes with pot leaves on it, and they're all practically the same in terms of mentality. Many people are just about that one thing they base their lives on, and nothing else, and people that aren't about that one "culture" (or even people that are into said culture, but not THAT much into it). It's less like that's a part of them, and more that that IS them. This sounds mean, but they typically aren't a person that "enjoys video games, goes to a biking club once a week, and happens to be a bisexual", but rather is "I'm the ___sexual". They're trying to fill a hole in their personalities with a culture because they are failing to make themselves into a unique individual, for whatever reason.

So, yeah, I sorta agree more with Rest with what he said.

Sure...

Haha I don't want to argue.

ANYWAY.

stn

Hipstersexual

They only have sex with people underground, you wouldn't know where you gotta be in the know you know?
Haha, no doubt! All I know is, when I see something like "sapiosexual" in a person's profile, I just think to myself that its already too complicated. I appreciate people who invest time into making their profiles fun and approachable, as opposed to those who use them to show the world how socially in-tune they are.

I always feel like dating should be relaxed, fun, and simple. But anyway...

gaiages

Banned
Are you in the Tallahassee area? I have some family there, if there's a north Florida get together I may be able to visit them and swing by.

Yep. I've always wondered if there was a North Florida GAF, but I assumed they all lived in Orlando or something (too far for me to hang with anyone), so never bothered to make a thread. Also I don't know what constitutes making those types of threads anyway.

Okay enough getting off topic, someone tell a story about dating a crazy fish woman or something plz

Necrovex

st Petersburg.

and I guess I can ask them.

at least here in Florida a lot of women post pictures of themselves at a shooting range or holding a fish. Lot of bush folks it seems.

I saw way too many fishing and shooting range photos when I lived in Tampa. I never see that in SA, granted I don't see much of anything here regarding online dating.

On another note, going on a date next month. Will be staying with a girl at her place over for a couple days. Met her via Tinder but due to work beaucracy we haven't had the chance to meet. My friend knows her, and confirmed her legitness. That should be a fun interesting experience (plus I'll get to see a new country along the way, which is always fun!).

Sami+

Tallahassee? Mai man *fist bump*

All I see over here was "NolesFan21481934752" or the shooting range

Okay, back on topic.

Karate girl's most recent message seems less enthusiastic, but she kept the invitation open and told me what her dojo is. I think this one will fizzle, but at least I will have met someone through this site finally.

I also got a message back and a mutual like from a girl I sent a message to months ago. Odd situation, she lives in Arizona, won't be moving to my area for several years, and is asexual. So... Yup.

Yo we should hang out yeh

Gaiages - you part of the Smash community here?

I keep realizing that I have nothing to talk to these women about to keep them interested. I always end up talking about my worries about my Mom, who's in physical rehab and has hopefully beaten cancer, and I know that's not exactly a good thing to talk about via online dating.

That's just what my life is. There's little else to it right now except worry.

gaiages

Banned
There's gotta be something else to talk about, anything. Sad things like that aren't going to keep most people around. What about lighter topics like hobbies, what you did that day, a funny cat video you saw on YouTube, something less heavy?

There's gotta be something else to talk about, anything. Sad things like that aren't going to keep most people around. What about lighter topics like hobbies, what you did that day, a funny cat video you saw on YouTube, something less heavy?
Yeah this. I've lost girls in chat simply by saying "went drinking with friends last night still have a headache" I can only imagine what that does.

Rest

I keep realizing that I have nothing to talk to these women about to keep them interested. I always end up talking about my worries about my Mom, who's in physical rehab and has hopefully beaten cancer, and I know that's not exactly a good thing to talk about via online dating.

That's just what my life is. There's little else to it right now except worry.

Talk about her and ask questions about her.

:x
Chewie, have you ever seen The 40 Year Old Virgin? They give Andy a bunch of advice that sounds stupid for the sake of making jokes, but for fun I tried it all out, and it gets good results. The most important one is "keep it on her, don't talk about you at all." The rationale behind this, I've concluded, is that you are a stranger. They don't give a shit about you, so you talking about yourself just makes them feel like you're not actually paying attention to them.

So, give complements, but not physical ones, and try to make them as subtle as you can. I don't know if it's just mental Judo, and you have to convince them that you think they're great without them noticing, or that they do notice but need to be able to pretend that they don't so that they don't feel conceited. Maybe it's other reasons, I can't say because I'm not a mind reader.

Don't send a single generic message. Always tailor what you write to what they have written. That't the single most important thing: it's always about them. If you can make jokes, do so, but if you can't, don't worry about it. If a girl doesn't have a lot in her profile, and there's nothing you can relate to or find something to talk about, just pass her up. If a girl isn't going to make an effort to make herself approachable by giving you things that you can talk about, don't waste your energy. I think of empty or minimal profiles as the first sign that a girl isn't actually trying. If she's not trying, you don't need to.

All of that takes practice. I think I've been using OKC for almost 2 years now, and I've only gotten to the point that I get messages and profile views regularly within the last few months. Keep track of your successes, and forget your failures. You'll learn intuitively what works for you.

Top Bottom