• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

A former schoolmate/ friend wrote this very entertaining and sobering article about online dating.

http://observer.com/2014/07/50000-f...es-finding-a-partner-in-nyc-harder-than-ever/

He's always been really smart, down to Earth and incredibly witty. Helluva writer too.

Seems to me like he just got burned out. He'd spend hours every night after work and use the app everywhere; of course it'll start being mechanical.

It would be no different if he went to the bar every night and hit on every attractive woman there. Eventually he'll start running into the same women, he may start lowering his standards to expand his options, he'll use the same lines, etc.

He doesn't even say what he's looking for or what he expects out of a relationship.

NateDog

Does the site have a list of restrictions? What happens when you try to use spelled out numbers, etc? Is it filtered in real time? Can you use URLs? Or is there a human/computer program that reads each message before it's sent? How do you know your attempts did not work?

The one I used before had humans that read messages before, and I think that might be the same case with this site although I'm not entirely sure just yet. Like I said I tried to use spelled out numbers but it was shortly after that I got suspended and presume that my sent message was deleted. The site actually says that you have to upgrade before handing over contact details but it's just a money grab when it says that you're suspended without doing it but that you can avoid the suspension by upgrading. However there must be a way to get past it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
LFZitpJ.gif

You guys aren't on my level.

I didn't actually make this.

SRG01

What Lone Prodigy said was also my first reaction. This guy spent way too much time, imo, just lining up dates, and didn't make a meaningful connection with any of them.

It's like going to a bar and hitting on a bunch of people every single night. It's going to get old, fast.

IMO, going to the bar is even lazier than going online for dates. Sports clubs, live music, social events, dance lessons are all great places to meet people.

Luigi87

I would wait until you're back and then give her a call.

Yeah I wasn't intending to contact her while on vacation (using this trip to take my mind off things), and I'm from Canada so being halfway around the world, lol

I guess I'll try calling her after I'm back and readjusted.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
IMO, going to the bar is even lazier than going online for dates. Sports clubs, live music, social events, dance lessons are all great places to meet people.

I've never been to dance lessons, but EVERYONE tells me that it's a great place to meet people. Especially girls.

... I'm just REALLY not into dancing LOL. I might go someday, one of my former coworkers does it and worst case scenario I can just sit there and drink.

Also, I just can;t really imagine that I can find a meaningful relationship from meeting someone at a bar. Like, you know NOTHING about the person except for their looks and that they're probably slightly intoxicated. Hookups? Probably. Relationships? You have to get REALLY lucky to meet someone you click with AND that they reciprocate. Sports clubs/VOLUNTEERING/etc seems way better for that. Online Dating seems better for that for sure too.

Leeness

Sigh...I didn't want to post here again but I just want to ask something and then I'll leave you all alone again.

So...I'm talking to a guy on POF and we're hitting it off okay (lots of similar interests) but we've been talking for almost a week and he doesn't seem interested in meeting in person. I dunno. Am I supposed to ask or do I then look like an idiot when he says he doesn't want to?

But I guess an online guy friend is fine. Meh.

Kyne

Sigh...I didn't want to post here again but I just want to ask something and then I'll leave you all alone again.

So...I'm talking to a guy on POF and we're hitting it off okay (lots of similar interests) but we've been talking for almost a week and he doesn't seem interested in meeting in person. I dunno. Am I supposed to ask or do I then look like an idiot when he says he doesn't want to?

Does he know that you're not interested in anything romantic/relationship-esque?

Kyne

Oh :eek: Damn.

Do you think you're coming off that way?

I assume he's on POF because he's looking someone to connect with someone on that kind of level.. and if you're not giving those 'level' vibes then he might be focusing his attention on the outside world with someone else?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Does he ask you questions to continue the conversation? I usually try to not ask questions when I want a conversation to die if I am uninterested in the person, but I find it hard to not answer to questions when I am bored.

Also, years ago, I wouldn't ask a woman out soon enough. Now, I ask them out by the fourth message or so. Perhaps he is inexperienced. However, if the girl lives far away, 50 miles or more, then I do need to talk to her for a little bit before I decide I will at least enjoy the date at some level.

Leeness

Oh :eek: Damn.

Do you think you're coming off that way?

I assume he's on POF because he's looking someone to connect with someone on that kind of level.. and if you're not giving those 'level' vibes then he might be focusing his attention on the outside world with someone else?

I dunno. We're just talking about a bunch of things we have in common. I guess that's bad when it's me. Lol.

Does he ask you questions to continue the conversation? I usually try to not ask questions when I want a conversation to die if I am uninterested in the person, but I find it hard to not answer to questions when I am bored.

Also, years ago, I wouldn't ask a woman out soon enough. Now, I ask them out by the fourth message or so. Perhaps he is inexperienced. However, if the girl lives far away, 50 miles or more, then I do need to talk to her for a little bit before I decide I will at least enjoy the date at some level.

Yes, he asks questions. So...dunno. I assume he's fine with just chatting and not meeting IRL.

Sketchbag

Banned

Have you, you know, asked him out?

SRG01

I've never been to dance lessons, but EVERYONE tells me that it's a great place to meet people. Especially girls.

... I'm just REALLY not into dancing LOL. I might go someday, one of my former coworkers does it and worst case scenario I can just sit there and drink.

Also, I just can;t really imagine that I can find a meaningful relationship from meeting someone at a bar. Like, you know NOTHING about the person except for their looks and that they're probably slightly intoxicated. Hookups? Probably. Relationships? You have to get REALLY lucky to meet someone you click with AND that they reciprocate. Sports clubs/VOLUNTEERING/etc seems way better for that. Online Dating seems better for that for sure too.

Dude, do it. Dancing is the most intoxicating hobby I've ever done. Salsa and Swing are quite popular.

Sketchbag

Banned

Saying you can't find a meaningful relationship at a bar or a club is just an excuse. You have to get REALLY lucky on every dating platform to meet someone you click with. If you're trying to find someone to click with shutting off available dating pools is kind of, how to put this nicely in case you ever see me in real life and punch me, stupid?

-PXG-

Seems to me like he just got burned out. He'd spend hours every night after work and use the app everywhere; of course it'll start being mechanical.

It would be no different if he went to the bar every night and hit on every attractive woman there. Eventually he'll start running into the same women, he may start lowering his standards to expand his options, he'll use the same lines, etc.

He doesn't even say what he's looking for or what he expects out of a relationship.

Yes he does. Early on he mentions what he's into and wants to find.

-PXG-

Don't fall into the "men have to initiate everything" way of thinking. Hell, the girl I took out over a week ago, technically asked me. I was minutes away from asking her myself. It was on the tip of my tongue. Either she saw it coming or it was strange coincidence. Needless to say, I was stoked that we were on the same page about things so soon.

So yeah, ask him. Some dudes love that eager, go getter gal. I sure as hell would and be flattered. If he doesn't accept or somehow drags his feet due to bring utterly socially retarded, then cut him off. Don't fear rejection. You have to accept it that it may very well happen. You must do this to move forward and to get what you want.

Leeness

If it scares him off, then it's his loss and doesn't deserve your company!

Don't fall into the "men have to initiate everything" way of thinking. Hell, the girl I took out over a week ago, technically asked me. I was minutes away from asking her myself. It was on the tip of my tongue. Either she saw it coming or it was strange coincidence. Needless to say, I was stoked that we were on the same page about things so soon.

So yeah, ask him. Some dudes love that eager, go getter gal. I sure as hell would and be flattered. If he doesn't accept or somehow drags his feet due to bring utterly socially retarded, then cut him off. Don't fear rejection. You have to accept it that it may very well happen. You must do this to move forward and to get what you want.

Eh. I suppose. I'm just thinking that talking to someone is better than the nothing I get otherwise.

Perhaps if he replies again, I'll consider it.

SaskBoy

So if my pictures on Facebook are private, can people on Tinder still see them?

It's frustrating when someone likes you but doesn't respond to your message. :(

SaskBoy

I'm not sure I understand. If the picture is on your profile, they can see it.

Go Tinder FAQ said:
My pictures are not showing up on Tinder / I can’t upload photos.
Make sure your pictures are in a public album or at least visible to your friends (not you only) on Facebook. You can also try moving your photos to a different album on Facebook.

http://www.gotinder.com/faq

Some of my photos on Tinder are set to "Only me" on Facebook. I can see them on Tinder, but can anyone else?

I'll just assume that if I can see them everyone else can.

SRG01

Man, I'm going through quite the dry spell. Only *one* partial reply from a girl on Tinder, and nothing on OkC, POF, Match, or eHarmony o_o

I'm gonna go hang out at Starbucks rather than send more messages tonight.

E92 M3

Didn't your profile state that you are only on POF for friends?

freshair

well damn. My main pic is set to me only.

If you can see it in the photo select screen in TInder, then others can see it too. I have an album I use exclusively for sites like Tinder and OKC to pull from where the privacy is me only, but still able to use those sites.

y2dvd

I'm trying to figure out how to view a new match's Tinder moments if possible. I get new ones after we match but I can't view the previous ones. I just started using Moments and it gets a lot of likes and one of the matches even messaged me saying she likes what I'm doing posting 1 moment each day. So far, I've posted me shirtless, a dinner I've made, and a smiley mug I use at work. I'm going to see if Moments can lead things further along.

Smiley90

I'm trying to figure out how to view a new match's Tinder moments if possible. I get new ones after we match but I can't view the previous ones. I just started using Moments and it gets a lot of likes and one of the matches even messaged me saying she likes what I'm doing posting 1 moment each day. So far, I've posted me shirtless, a dinner I've made, and a smiley mug I use at work. I'm going to see if Moments can lead things further along.

Moments expire 9 (i think) hours after someone posts them, then they're gone. Think of them like snapchats.

Sylas

Morning, online dating gaf! So I stated earlier that I wasn't really interested in pushing OKC very hard and wanted to just idle around.

Well! Someone I thought I might be interested in popped up on my feed so I sent her a message. It was in the middle of a work day and was just a quick little note, and I'm starting to think I bungled it. So that said, what's everyone's message-sending-advice? I feel like this is so easy to mess up and completely ruin that first impression.

For posterity's sake, here's my profile again: okcupid.com/profile/orlyowlo
Thaaaaanks!

Kyne

Morning, online dating gaf! So I stated earlier that I wasn't really interested in pushing OKC very hard and wanted to just idle around.

Well! Someone I thought I might be interested in popped up on my feed so I sent her a message. It was in the middle of a work day and was just a quick little note, and I'm starting to think I bungled it. So that said, what's everyone's message-sending-advice? I feel like this is so easy to mess up and completely ruin that first impression.

Thaaaaanks!

This is my biggest fear. If I finally find someone I'm interested in and I botch it because of a stupid first impression I might die a little inside.

Keep it short and keep it relevant to their profile information (not so much their pictures, unless there's something of interest in them; a tattoo, activity, etc) and give them something to think about. Something like, "Pirates or ninjas?"

Smiley90

After the delete/remake of my Tinder on Monday I've been talking to one girl who seems fun, set up a date for next week... She tells me she took Monday&Tuesday off work so I jokingly ask her how her long weekend was...

"It actually sucked because the guy I was seeing broke my heart wednesday... And I know this is probably the worst thing to tell someone at the beginning"

.......wat. Why. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Not sure if I want to deal with that. Am I okay with being a rebound? I have to decide that lol.

stn

^^ Don't do it. You knowwwwwwwwww its going to lead to complications down the road. Its not worth it.

Septimius

Thaaaaanks!

I'd recommend going for different pictures. I think the tie is amazing in real life situations, but my guess is that it'll spark more prejudice than it'll do you good. You need pictures where you look into the camera. Or, at the very least, don't kind of don't look at the camera. I've planned a photo shoot with a friend to make some Tinder profile pictures for when I set that up. Anyone you can do the same with?

Well I was Gandalf for a while but someone decided to report the picture.

So, uh. New picture! Of me! Whoa.

That said, this is a work in progress. It requires a certain inspiration to write about oneself.

This whole block can just be thrown out. It does nothing for a first impression, and you're still trying to hide behind a fake picture. When I read "I need to work more on this", but then the next sentence is that you're a writer, I don't get what's going on.

People in particular inspire me. Tell me a story and I'll tell you one in turn. Give me a subject and I'll make it interesting. Promise.

It'd be "people, in particular, inspire me", alternately "In particular, people inspire me" or maybe better "I love talking with people, because I get incredibly inspired by it", as it tells that you're social, and that you get inspiration from it. This 'in particular' thing rests upon a context that doesn't exist. The "Promise." gives of a certain "please let me try". I also don't get what it's supposed to convey. It sort of says "please try to give me a subject, and I'll write something interesting". Perhaps try and reword that?

Note: This means I am gainfully employed despite being a writer! A rarity, I've been told.

Oh, whoops. That was a serious answer.

I'm a wacky cartoon character living a cartoon life! WoOoOoO.

This just comes off as completely incongruent. Your profile has been serious so far, so I don't get the "I slipped up" thing. It also has you seem uncertain in talking about yourself. Also, that's a poor joke. It just sort of ruins the impression that you're a writer. If you don't have something that's really witty, perhaps just leave the jokes behind?

I’m really good at
Communication, dawg. Deflecting. Writing, storytelling and being a pretty great person to be around. Positivity is key. Turn that frown upside-down, etcetera, etcetera.

What's with these haphazardly thrown around quips that just adds nothing? Convey that you're good communicating. You'd do that with rewriting what I suggested earlier. Don't say, rather try and convey. I have no reason to believe that you're a particularly positive person. Deflecting? Sounds about as bad a word as you can give for yourself.

My smile. I do that a lot.

The intense look in my eyes as I deeply contemplate my existence while staring meaningfully at the stars; searching for answers in the things that dreams are made of.

Alright, maybe that bit isn't necessarily true. But who hasn't done that once or twice. I mean, really.

You "your smile" a lot? I know I'm being really anal about your writing, but seen how you're a writer, I'd be completely turned off by someone saying they're a writer, but don't seem to master the language. Again, you come off as flimsy and incongruent. Half the time I don't believe what you write, the other half you joke it away. Share more of yourself.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
I lyk 2 reed. TeeVee is for squares, Netflix is where it's at. I eat food and I listen to music. Put it in front of me and I will likely enjoy it! It's awesome what growing up poor will do for your expectations.

No, but really. I read a lot and I like to talk about books.

*Thumbs up!*

Currently reading through a short story collection by a handful of fantasy authors! Finished up pretty much everything by Brandon Sanderson recently, too. I tend to stick to fiction but I'm pretty open minded with my books.

"I lyk 2 reed"? That's not a good joke. TeeVee? Again, you say so little about yourself. You actually get personal by saying something about growing up poor, but then you go "No, but really", which comes off across as really insecure. Like you fumbled up saying that. When it's written. You can just erase it.

The last paragraph is great. Throw in some more names, otherwise, it's basically the equivalent of "I listen to all music". Having opinions is great.

The six things I could never do without
Stuff.
Things.
More things?
Double the stuff!
You.
Me?

You know what I'll say here. The "you" underlines the whole thing I've been saying. It smells a bit of desperation, since you're basically saying you can't do without whatever girl reads it. Give of yourself, here.

On a typical Friday night I am
Taking the hobbits to Isenga--wait, no.

Hanging out cool-style, y'know what I mean?

Or sitting at my desk and bemoaning writers block. Literally the worst.

I don't know what you mean. I'm thinking the same thing as I've said all along applies to the "I think about", since it's basically just another witless quip; a joke without foundation, quickly redacted.

The most private thing I’m willing to admit
I am a trove of dark and mysterious secrets. Spooky.

No, really. Try again.

You should message me if
Oh god please don't.

See, this will be the most hilarious part of your profile, once the rest is upgraded. At this point, it really just seems like you aren't able to have a conversation with a girl. I really loved the joke, you just need the profile to be better to make it absolutely hilarious.

This is my biggest fear. If I finally find someone I'm interested in and I botch it because of a stupid first impression I might die a little inside.

Keep it short and keep it relevant to their profile information (not so much their pictures, unless there's something of interest in them; a tattoo, activity, etc) and give them something to think about. Something like, "Pirates or ninjas?"

If you hang up in things like that, you'll always be so afraid of losing things - in this case girls - so much that you'll lose them. There's no "one" person we all need to meet, and if we fuck it up, we've ruined our one shot at love. You can easily just be overlooked, which means no amount of perfect message could ever have saved you. These things are not something we control. Don't try to. You'll lose a ton of girls. There's even more where she came from.

Ok, so I lied. I'm almost taking a break. Date today and date Sunday, THEN I'll be taking a hiatus to work on myself.

So, you need to work on yourself, because you want to improve... but these dates, they don't deserve that improved you?

SRG01

After the delete/remake of my Tinder on Monday I've been talking to one girl who seems fun, set up a date for next week... She tells me she took Monday&Tuesday off work so I jokingly ask her how her long weekend was...

"It actually sucked because the guy I was seeing broke my heart wednesday... And I know this is probably the worst thing to tell someone at the beginning"

.......wat. Why. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Not sure if I want to deal with that. Am I okay with being a rebound? I have to decide that lol.

Do it man, you never know!!

Top Bottom