• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Leeness

Hmmm, interesting.

Might be difficult using dating sites though, even with the disclaimer that you're just looking for a friend, guys will take it to mean that you're being careful maybe, but not that you're serious. Or are you using a website/app that's actually for friendship type deals?

I dunno, I'm in no hurry. I'm more on there if a one in a million chance comes along lol. So I don't really care.

Why? Have you ever had one? Is it because penises are gross or..?

I don't want to have any physical relationships. I have no interest in them.

yeah man, sounds like you had a little trama back then.
i had a friend went through something similar in college (boyfriend choked her in public, he got expelled) she reacted same way. wish you well w/ that geeky song.

Nah, not that traumatic. It didn't matter much. Thanks though.

Nah, not that traumatic. It didn't matter much.
ok, i just finished learning how to upload images at the gundam thread and came over here... oh no, didn't mean to suggest you were majorly affected, i meant my friend.

just kidding, you stubborn girl. edit: i better add, it probably means more to me than you, and it was a long time ago for you so you're not bothered by it, you're stronger than my friend... re: my friend: the guy was always calling her stupid and putting her down... we hung out alot but i couldn't convince her to trust guys again either... it makes me sad sniff sniff sorry, i'm a bit emo now :( ok, back to gundams like a nerd

Palpable

I don't want to have any physical relationships. I have no interest in them.

Then why are you on a dating site? If you're looking for platonic male friends, then a dating site isn't the place. I read your pof profile and nothing on there indicated that you want a strictly platonic relationship. In fact, I recall seeing something where you said you wanted to be friends and 'see if it developes further' or something to that effect.

Erudite

Alright GAF, going to give this a try for the first time. Any tips on improving my OKC profile?

Wondering if I should improve my profile picture/selfie (not usually one to take them), add another type of photo, remove any of the additional pictures, cut down the word count for the profile, change the wording or remove a paragraph or sentence, etc. Any tips would be great.

Eh. I think I'll revisit this another time.

Leeness

Then why are you on a dating site? If you're looking for platonic male friends, then a dating site isn't the place. I read your pof profile and nothing on there indicated that you want a strictly platonic relationship. In fact, I recall seeing something where you said you wanted to be friends and 'see if it developes further' or something to that effect.

I've said why quite a few times now.

ok, i just finished learning how to upload images at the gundam thread and came over here... oh no, didn't mean to suggest you were majorly affected, i meant my friend.

just kidding, you stubborn girl. edit: i better add, it probably means more to me than you, and it was a long time ago for you so you're not bothered by it, you're stronger than my friend... re: my friend: the guy was always calling her stupid and putting her down... we hung out alot but i couldn't convince her to trust guys again either... it makes me sad sniff sniff sorry, i'm a bit emo now :( ok, back to gundams like a nerd

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and hope she will be okay.

Lulubop

So the girl I had a pretty bad date on Wed with, ( conversation wasn't really flowing, ended really early) hit me up just now and was like she had a good time and we should go to a museum next week... Wait what? Mad confused.

Salamando

Alright GAF, going to give this a try for the first time. Any tips on improving my OKC profile?

Wondering if I should improve my profile picture/selfie (not usually one to take them), add another type of photo, remove any of the additional pictures, cut down the word count for the profile, change the wording or remove a paragraph or sentence, etc. Any tips would be great.

Pictures - I'd remove the one of your back and the one of you goofing around with your friends. Showing your muscles off works best when it's not so blatant. Try a side profile of you cooking. For the "goofing around" pic, I'll never recommend posting pics of you and females, unless it's clear they're family. "friends" could just as easily be code for "ex". And get some non-mirror pics of you. Yes, you're not a picture person...no one here is. To have success in online dating, you need to become one.

Throw your food pics on Instagram, and link it to your OKC profile. That way the pics appear in your profile instead of on links. And your first and last name isn't visible to everyone.

On the text, you use a lot of words to say "I like to exercise and program". Shorten it where you can, and expand on your non-fitness programming endeavors.

So the girl I had a pretty bad date on Wed with, ( conversation wasn't really flowing, ended really early) hit me up just now and was like she had a good time and we should go to a museum next week... Wait what? Mad confused.

The second date's the real first date. The first date's just the initial screener. You passed.

Had my main spend the night last night. Girl I went out with last Thursday wants to hit me up next Friday. And my best female friend here wants to introduce me to her friend. Finally, talking to a gorgeous foreign girl on OKCupid. It's feast time, not famine. I honestly don't want to lock things down with my main yet. There are things I like; there are some things I'm not quite sure about. Guess I'll let her bring up exclusivity (although she did ask if I was sleeping with anyone else, and I did truthfully say "no"). That doesn't quite "count," right? But I guess it does mean that we're progressing. It's a good thing that next week I'll be in my last class ever for my Master's program, so I won't be out with anyone, so that'll apply some brakes, I think.

Lulubop

I mean, I'm not interested in a second date if that's the case. It was one of the worst, most awkward dates I've been on. I had to carry the convo and she didn't even finish her drink. She gave me some BS excuse about having to go too, which was fine because I had to be at work soon after anyway. Maybe she was nervous. Still I want on an amazing date the next day, with a much more attractive and fun girl. She failed the test I suppose =x.

Anyway, Saturday! Greek girl said she'd be down to hang so hopefully she still is. If not I got some fall backs. My best friend's sister hit me and said she doesn't wanna run the chance of creating a bad situation so she'd just like to stay as friends. That's cool and I definitely think the right thing, because knowing me I'd fuck up everything.

Erudite

Pictures - I'd remove the one of your back and the one of you goofing around with your friends. Showing your muscles off works best when it's not so blatant. Try a side profile of you cooking. For the "goofing around" pic, I'll never recommend posting pics of you and females, unless it's clear they're family. "friends" could just as easily be code for "ex". And get some non-mirror pics of you. Yes, you're not a picture person...no one here is. To have success in online dating, you need to become one.

Throw your food pics on Instagram, and link it to your OKC profile. That way the pics appear in your profile instead of on links. And your first and last name isn't visible to everyone.

On the text, you use a lot of words to say "I like to exercise and program". Shorten it where you can, and expand on your non-fitness programming endeavors.
Appreciate the tips on the photos, took'em off and definitely going to need to find a way to get better ones of myself to throw up there.

Lulubop

Another really nice night with this Greek girl. I like her a good bit. I might go over tomorrow night after she's done with class. She's really swell, tho I don't think she's looking for something serious and that's fine. Enjoy the ride with her.

Hi, been at this for a couple of weeks now, anyone mind giving my profile a bit of a check? Had two conversations that fizzled out quickly, not quite gotten the hang of starting things off really.

Salamando

Hi, been at this for a couple of weeks now, anyone mind giving my profile a bit of a check? Had two conversations that fizzled out quickly, not quite gotten the hang of starting things off really.

Find a good gentleman barber who can help you with your hair and beard. Both will look better once properly trimmed and styled. Find/buy some clothes that work for your frame, and get some flattering pictures done. By hiding your body, every girl out there knows whats going on, so you can at least show you know how to make the best of it.

And take pictures that aren't inside your room. A pic of you sitting at your computer with a headset on only works if you're a DJ. You like beer, get a pic of you and your mates enjoying one.

As for the text, diversify your interests. Your profile could be distilled into "i like to watch tv/movies and program and drink".

Assanova

I've been playing around with my Match profile, and I think that I've finally got it perfected. I have been contacted by six or seven different women since very early this morning without messaging them first. A couple of notes:

-I eliminated basically anything any guy would say in his profile, even if it is seen as a good thing; There is nothing about what I do for my career, my degrees, or any future plans. I did my best to paint myself as an individual and not a carbon copy of every other guy. I did this by telling stories about different events in my life and nothing more. Anything generic that I wanted to say, I tried to say it with a picture.

-Although none of my pictures are perfect, the combination of them are. In other words, I think they create the perfect picture of me. I posted myself in as many different situations as possible. I have pics of me with a suit, at the beach, at the bar, with short sleeves, full body shots, up close selfies of my face, with a pet, solo pics, and pics of me being social.

-I made sure that all of my pictures appear to be recent; nothing that would make a girl wonder what I really look like.

-I used my real name in my username. I think that it helps to paint me as a real person and not just an anonymous guy on the Internet.

All of this stuff is very subtle, but I think that the increase in contacts over the past day or so are due to the changes I made to paint myself as an individual and letting women imagine what it might be like to be around me.

Find a good gentleman barber who can help you with your hair and beard. Both will look better once properly trimmed and styled. Find/buy some clothes that work for your frame, and get some flattering pictures done. By hiding your body, every girl out there knows whats going on, so you can at least show you know how to make the best of it.

And take pictures that aren't inside your room. A pic of you sitting at your computer with a headset on only works if you're a DJ. You like beer, get a pic of you and your mates enjoying one.

As for the text, diversify your interests. Your profile could be distilled into "i like to watch tv/movies and program and drink".

Thanks for all that. This is definitely out of my comfort zone, so it's good to hear all that.

Assanova

anyone wanna give me some tips on my OKCupidProfile

I think having one or two of the mirror selfies is fine. I would just mix in at least 2-3 photos of you being social, if at all possible. I use a few selfies, and women seem to love them, judging from the number of likes they got on Match. I think as long as you show pictures that indicate that you also have friends and a social life, selfies are fine.

Arials

What is the best way to suggest a firm date with a girl who is busy (that's genuinely busy not "go away" busy)? Do I suggest something and see if it sticks, ask her when she's free next week, a combination of both or?

A quick coffee is the easy one but we've already spoken about going out for a drink so it would be a bit of a change of tack..

Lulubop

Spent the night again with the Greek girl. I've her 3 times since Thursday, too much? I'm doing a little celebrating on Saturday for my birthday and asked to see her then. I dig her quite a bit.

Tdog987

Hi online dating gaf

Didn't know this thread existed..,would have been great for me a year ago. When my ex dumped me about a year ago. I decided to try the online dating...I used Tinder (got matches and messages, but they never ended up turning into dates or "hook ups"...I also used okcupid (payed for 3 months of it, so I could see all the likes and matches), and I met 2 women on there and the 1st one on went out with are going to be celebrating our 1 year anniversary on the 2nd of next month

One of my friends from work is looking to date, and is gonna be getting his drivers lisence soon, so I'm thinking about buying him a 3 month sub to okcupid and a sub (is it premium now?) to tinder

My question is, is it possible to buy a gift certificate to those sites or how could I go about it?

Necrovex

Hi online dating gaf

Didn't know this thread existed..,would have been great for me a year ago. When my ex dumped me about a year ago. I decided to try the online dating...I used Tinder (got matches and messages, but they never ended up turning into dates or "hook ups"...I also used okcupid (payed for 3 months of it, so I could see all the likes and matches), and I met 2 women on there and the 1st one on went out with are going to be celebrating our 1 year anniversary on the 2nd of next month

One of my friends from work is looking to date, and is gonna be getting his drivers lisence soon, so I'm thinking about buying him a 3 month sub to okcupid and a sub (is it premium now?) to tinder

My question is, is it possible to buy a gift certificate to those sites or how could I go about it?

From the way it sounds, you may serve your friend better by buying him a Match subscription than a OKC one. Seeing how that service demands payment, both parties tend to be more serious about meeting up and starting something. This is assuming he is looking for a relationship and not a hook up.

I would say to "get his feet wet" with OKC/Tinder (free) before actually shelling out money for it. And if you're going to shell out money (and don't want to just hookup), go for a paid site like Match or eHarmony.

Howdy guys! I am interested to see what you all think of my OKC profile. I have roughly the same pictures on my Tinder account and have been doing really well on Tinder, but not great on OKC.

Profile Link

Salamando

Howdy guys! I am interested to see what you all think of my OKC profile. I have roughly the same pictures on my Tinder account and have been doing really well on Tinder, but not great on OKC.

Profile Link

Rethink how you write your profile. Imagine you're at a bar with a girl, and she asks you the question in the section prompts. Now imagine you telling her some of what you wrote there.

"So thestopsign, what are six things you could never do without?"
"That is irrelevant"

"Okay, well, what do you do on a typical Friday night?"
"I used to hang out with friends and go to parties, but now I'm more laid back"

Majine

Banned
So I've been talking to this girl online for like two weeks now, and we have a date this weekend but I feel like we've talked so much already that I'm having a hard time thinking of what to ask her during the date and afraid this may become awkward as hell.

I guess the chemistry is what decides it all.

Palpable

So I've been talking to this girl online for like two weeks now, and we have a date this weekend but I feel like we've talked so much already that I'm having a hard time thinking of what to ask her during the date and afraid this may become awkward as hell.

I talked to a girl for about a week or two before we met. I thought as you did, but the chemistry took care of the rest. We dated for a year & a half.

Hello GAF,

I'm new to online dating and recently made an OKC account. When you write a first message what should it include? I want to make a good first impression but don't know how to go about it.

Lulubop

So on Tuesday I met up with this 37 year old, at her house for some Mario Kart and chill. It was fun, she seemed loaded; Nice apt, expensive part of town, mentioned she had a cleaning lady, yea.... Apparently going through a recent break up. I'd see her again.

Yesterday I met up with someone I had with before the holidays. The date kinda played out the same, as the first. I'm not sure what her vibe is with me, and I kinda went into it thinking I had it in the bag. Nothing really happened, we kissed a bit and I spent way more money than I wanted to. Dunno, but she wants to see me on Saturday.

But I can't because I have plans to see the Greek girl again on Saturday. She actually wanted to see me again yesterday, but I had the aforementioned date already planned. Really excited to see her again.

Hello GAF,

I'm new to online dating and recently made an OKC account. When you write a first message what should it include? I want to make a good first impression but don't know how to go about it.

Sending a message based off something in their profile is probably the best bet for a first message.

Tdog987

Yeah, that's why didn't try to talk too much over text before the date...have to some

Hello GAF,

I agree with the op

This vid should help

http://youtu.be/getHgCC6eAE

The point is to stand out

So on Tuesday I met up with this 37 year old, at her house for some Mario Kart and chill. It was fun, she seemed loaded; Nice apt, expensive part of town, mentioned she had a cleaning lady, yea.... Apparently going through a recent break up. I'd see her again.

Yesterday I met up with someone I had with before the holidays. The date kinda played out the same, as the first. I'm not sure what her vibe is with me, and I kinda went into it thinking I had it in the bag. Nothing really happened, we kissed a bit and I spent way more money than I wanted to. Dunno, but she wants to see me on Saturday.

But I can't because I have plans to see the Greek girl again on Saturday. She actually wanted to see me again yesterday, but I had the aforementioned date already planned. Really excited to see her again.

Somebody is swimming in it...nice

Congrats

Jokab

Man I'm in bed super sick and this bangin' hot tinder girl is practically begging to come over even though I've told her no on account on my sickness many times. This luck bro...

Palpable

Signed back up on okc & pof out of boredom. Some random chick with a profile that seemed fake and pictures of a girl too hot to be real started messaging me. She asked for my number and I figured I'd play along. She starts texting me & asking me random questions. It quickly got into sexual shit, so I kept asking her to prove she's real. Thinking I wouldn't get a response, she writes my name on a piece of paper and takes a selfie, then says she doesn't like time-wasters. Hahaha, totally unexpected.

Signed back up on okc & pof out of boredom. Some random chick with a profile that seemed fake and pictures of a girl too hot to be real started messaging me. She asked for my number and I figured I'd play along. She starts texting me & asking me random questions. It quickly got into sexual shit, so I kept asking her to prove she's real. Thinking I wouldn't get a response, she writes my name on a piece of paper and takes a selfie, then says she doesn't like time-wasters. Hahaha, totally unexpected.

That is strangely erotic somehow.

I have a second date with one of the girls I met online. She's the one I went on the two hour coffee date with. It's this Tuesday, so hopefully it'll go well.

We're going minigolfing at one of those glow in the dark places.

I've also become attracted to one of my family member's support workers who comes in to look after them every so often. She's seven to eight years younger than me, though, and I have no idea if she's at all interested. Plus, there's the worry about it being deemed sexual harassment if I even hit on her.

Not that I'd have the balls to. I just wish I could hint it.

jimmypython

Hi online-dating GAF,

has anyone had this problem? my OKC app only shows 6 matches.....and I'm in Toronto..

My filters are height less than 5'6" and "straight woman only" lol

I am confused......

Top Bottom