• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Salamando

No, just wondering what your view on it is. I'll be taking her out regardless. As for ID, we live in the UK, so there's no worries about alcohol, etc.

Our views matter fuck-all here. Whatever two consenting adults do is between them.

If you really want to know my view - I wouldn't enter into that looking for a relationship. You'd be in two different phases of life with two drastically different maturity levels.

Symphonia

Banned
AdamJohnson.jpg

Not too weird, unless you're a really old looking 27 or something
Except Adam Johnson was an adult, and the girl he slept with was 15. Nothing like this case at all. Either way, it's just a date with this girl. Who knows where it will go?

Arials

Except Adam Johnson was an adult, and the girl he slept with was 15. Nothing like this case at all. Either way, it's just a date with this girl. Who knows where it will go?

You wouldn't have posted if you weren't slightly worried about the age difference so it was just a joke playing on that, Jimmy.

Symphonia

Banned
You wouldn't have posted if you weren't slightly worried about the age difference so it was just a joke playing on that, Jimmy.
What do I have to be worried about? We're both adults. I posted because I'm genuinely interested in what peoples thoughts are regarding age differences, etc.

Fixed the author's name in my post, sorry!

Not worried about legal issues, just regular stuff. I think you misread his intention.

What do I have to be worried about? We're both adults. I posted because I'm genuinely interested in what peoples thoughts are regarding age differences, etc.

Go for it bro. Enjoy yourself. But like others said, you're probably in different places in life. It's not a big deal though - have fun! I've dated anywhere from 20-mid-30's over the last few years. Don't even ask NeoGaf's Vern about this.

I knew I recognized that name. He authored an article that really resonated with me. If you're unsure about Manson (and mind you, I've not read the book), read this: http://markmanson.net/fuck-yes#ySuKE0:jAVL

Everyone here needs to read this. It's the exact conclusion I've come to after having done this for a while. I will admit that it's difficult to put this into practice (given man's tendency to fool himself into thinking he's really into most attractive women), but it will make things SO MUCH easier once you do.

Lulubop

Had a date yesterday with thia Asian girl from London who moved to the Summer. It went really well, and she lives in the part of town the Greek girl lived. It might sound weird but I think part of the reason I like thr Greek girl ao much is because I adore the part of the city she lives in now. Astoria is like the best. Still bummed about that whole situation however, I still wanna know why and it eats at me. Therapy was hopeful today, I know the Greek girl had her own mental health issues but I never got a chance to dive deep there.

I have a date tomorrow with this Puerto Rican girl. Probably the hottest girl I've ever managed to get a date outta off, going by her pics anyway. Feeling incredibly confident as of the last few months.

We've seen on this forum that people of all ages can be extremely immature. But what's wrong with just going out and having fun?

Oh sorry I should have clarified, it was more of a thing for him to be aware of, not that he shouldn't go ahead. There's 7 years between my sis and her husband, so it can totally work out.

Symphonia

Banned
I'd have no problem with it as a 26-year old. Just be mindful that you are probably in different phases of your life if you are looking for a relationship. But that's really a worry for later.
Yeah, I get that. She's in her second year of university, I'm owner of my own design company. So there is definitely that 'different stage of life' aspect. But, overall, she seems a very bright, mature, young woman. I see no reason why two people eight years apart can't work out.

Jhoan

Had a date yesterday with thia Asian girl from London who moved to the Summer. It went really well, and she lives in the part of town the Greek girl lived. It might sound weird but I think part of the reason I like thr Greek girl ao much is because I adore the part of the city she lives in now. Astoria is like the best. Still bummed about that whole situation however, I still wanna know why and it eats at me. Therapy was hopeful today, I know the Greek girl had her own mental health issues but I never got a chance to dive deep there.

I have a date tomorrow with this Puerto Rican girl. Probably the hottest girl I've ever managed to get a date outta off, going by her pics anyway. Feeling incredibly confident as of the last few months.
There's no such thing as closure in life man. People have their reasons and some people might not ever feel comfortable opening up and explain their reasons. I think you should try to disassociate anything that reminds you of her in order to move on and dump the pictures you have with her on a HD since to be honest, it sounded like you had one-itis for the girl.

I was hung over that Mexican I messed around with back in the summer but eventually anything in my neighborhood that reminded me of her faded away and is a fond memory but nothing else beyond that. Any way, I'm happy to see that you've been moving on and seeing a therapist for it since that's does help immensely.

As for the ongoing age gap discussion, it's not a huge deal at all. If you guys like each other, that's all that matters. I remember having a discussion with a girl I messaged who was several years younger than me in OKC once and we got into a conversation on how she thought it was wrong/that I was messaging someone younger than me. I tried to open her mind and explained that it's not a huge deal but in the end of the day, her opinion couldn't be swayed.

How do you guys deal with people who send you such lame responses back?

Like Im being funny enough and all they say is "hahaha, thanks!" or "hahaha, i love those too!"

Meanwhile, Im adding in some typical questions about school and stuff, they answer, but they never ask back :(

Im sure they are overwhelmed with messages, but it's hard for me to get an actual conversation going. I usually just move on from these, but sometimes I feel like I should be putting in some kind of better effort to stand out. But it's like talking to a wall, and I dont want to overbearingly ask a bunch of lame questions

Also, Id love some opinions on my profile, especially the info I type out. Is it not serious enough, too lame, uninteresting?

Salamando

Either drop 'em or ask for their number/ask them out. You can't force a girl to respond intelligently, but you can see if they prefer communication via means "less weird" to them.

Also, Id love some opinions on my profile, especially the info I type out. Is it not serious enough, too lame, uninteresting?

If you PM me your profile, I'll give it a look over.

Do you guys and girls think that a walk for a first date is too underwhelming? I have three good female friends and they've all went for walks for their most recent first dates. I usually do coffee, but I'm thinking I might switch it up. Opinions?
What about a hike? I don't have a profile anywhere and probably won't until I start raking in some more dough but I was thinking about trying something like that instead of a traditional dinner or whatever

I'm the type of person that would rather do something physical or adventurous with someone new I'm meeting and I feel like hiking is a fun way to do so.

Salamando

What about a hike? I don't have a profile anywhere and probably won't until I start raking in some more dough but I was thinking about trying something like that instead of a traditional dinner or whatever

I'm the type of person that would rather do something physical or adventurous with someone new I'm meeting and I feel like hiking is a fun way to do so.

For a first date, I'd still suggest setting it up so that you meet somewhere else first, and make hiking an option if things go well. When you meet a girl online, there's no guarantee of chemistry. Check for it before you commit to spending hours with them.

And it might come across as weird if you ask them to meet you in the woods without having met first. She doesn't know you. There's more safety in a coffee house than there is in a forest.

vern

I've never done a hike on a first date but have done plenty of walks. Walks are great because they are free (and I'm cheap) and if there is chemistry then it's super easy to duck into a cafe or restaurant and extend the date. Or you can head into a park and get in ice cream cone and cuddle in the grass. Or any other number of options.

If there is no chemistry it's easy to go your separate ways as well, no need to sit around and wait for a meal to be over and no need to finish climbing up the mountain and back down like if you are on a hike.

Walking and riding a mo-ped/scooter are my go to first dates and I'm relatively successful with women.

Like Im being funny enough and all they say is "hahaha, thanks!" or "hahaha, i love those too!"

Meanwhile, Im adding in some typical questions about school and stuff, they answer, but they never ask back :(

Im sure they are overwhelmed with messages, but it's hard for me to get an actual conversation going. I usually just move on from these, but sometimes I feel like I should be putting in some kind of better effort to stand out. But it's like talking to a wall, and I dont want to overbearingly ask a bunch of lame questions

If this happens two or three times, just ask if they want to do something and ask for their number. If you don't get a response, you know they aren't serious anyway. And if you do, you can set up a date right away.

M52B28

Banned
I downloaded Tinder, but I deleted it a day later. I just don't appreciate how it feels so throw away with the swiping system. Also, I noticed quite a bit of girls lying about their age on the site.

Considering how connected it is to social media, it seems like the place for every Instagram Queen to congregate at. Generally, for a guy like me, it's uncomfortable, but I think I feel that way because I'm not the biggest user of social media besides Facebook (I run a page, so I'm kind of forced to use it.)

I have no Instagram, Snapchat, Beme, Kik, Tumble, etc.

I feel like Tinder throws away the essence of true dating. Even though I generally don't like online dating, OkCupid seemed okay because you could flesh out a profile well, but in general terms, it suffered from the throw away environment that online dating provides.

I'm generally a very likable guy for women, but online, it's hard to get that likability into a profile page. That's why I'm done making and destroying accounts just for the sake of trying.

I love vibing with women in person. When you're connecting and clicking as you speak, it's a really good feeling.

Tinder is just another way to meet people. It may be more superficial, but it's still legit.

See someone.
Like someone.
Talk to someone.
Meet someone.

It's not that much different from asking for your barista's number, or approaching an attractive person at the bus stop.

Salamando

To say Tinder throws away the essence of dating implies Tinder has more to do with dating than it does. It's an introduction system. Nothing more, nothing less.

You like vibing, chatting, and connecting in person. We all do. That's what the first (and second, and third...) dates are for.

Palpable

The way I've always looked it; physical attraction brings two people together. It's up to everything else to keep them together.

^ still just trying to find platonic friendship?

The way I've always looked it; physical attraction brings two people together. It's up to everything else to keep them together.

Though physical attraction is also very important when it comes to staying together.

Leeness

^ still just trying to find platonic friendship?

Not really lol. I know it will never happen. Just have things open on the off chance.

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences. But online dating has been a uniformly positive thing for me and most others in this thread. That said, I never had an interest in Tinder.

Any apps that require people to "match" always make me feel horrible about myself because I never get any matches lol. I deleted Tinder and Bumble for that reason. It's pretty hurtful knowing you're universally reviled.

I mean, c'mon. I know I'm hideous but man. It's hurtful that I can sit on those apps for months and get no one talking to me lmao.

So...I guess this is more encouragement for others. If you are getting even one match every once in a while, you're doing just fine.

Scotch

Not really lol. I know it will never happen. Just have things open on the off chance.

Any apps that require people to "match" always make me feel horrible about myself because I never get any matches lol. I deleted Tinder and Bumble for that reason. It's pretty hurtful knowing you're universally reviled.

I mean, c'mon. I know I'm hideous but man. It's hurtful that I can sit on those apps for months and get no one talking to me lmao.

So...I guess this is more encouragement for others. If you are getting even one match every once in a while, you're doing just fine.
If you are the girl in your avatar then I won't believe for a second that you aren't getting any matches. Although, if the self-loathing stuff you post in this thread is any indication of what your Tinder profile reads like, then it'd make more sense, because it's kinda off-putting.

Leeness

If you are the girl in your avatar then I won't believe for a second that you aren't getting any matches. Although, if the self-loathing stuff you post in this thread is any indication of what your Tinder profile reads like, then it'd make more sense, because it's kinda off-putting.

Believe it! Lol. And no, my profiles don't read like this. And yes, I know that attitude can seep through but I don't meet anyone in person off these sites anyway, so eh.

Symphonia

Banned
I mean, c'mon. I know I'm hideous but man. It's hurtful that I can sit on those apps for months and get no one talking to me.
Is that you in your avatar? If so, well, you're far from hideous. Anyone who thinks you are and doesn't match you on POF needs their eyesight tested.

Leeness

Is that you in your avatar? If so, well, you're far from hideous. Anyone who thinks you are and doesn't match you on POF needs their eyesight tested.

Lol, already had this conversation and we don't need to have it again and don't need people telling me something that is objectively false. :/

I was just remarking that Tinder/Bumble/apps that match are mean and generally hurtful. That's all.

So what, just fishing for compliments then or what? It's kinda hard to confirm something for you that's obviously not the case.

If your avatar is indeed an actual photo of you and you really actually believe that you're hideous, you might want to consider seeking help or therapy. Or, and this would be much simpler, just take it from us that you're rather pretty. Like Scotch said, it's nearly impossible that you're not getting matches, unless you have this negativity front and center in the written part of your profile, that could maybe explain the difficulty you're having. By the way, that goes for most of the more negative participants of this thread actually, it's the attitude that's killing your chances more than anything else.

Also, either you don't get matches or they're all guys who say mean things - those things can't work together. I feel like it's all being exaggerated for effect.

Symphonia

Banned
I was just remarking that Tinder/Bumble/apps that match are mean and generally hurtful. That's all.
Oh, I completely agree. It's why I now stay away from Tinder. It did no good for my anxiety and/or self confidence. Plenty Of Fish isn't much better, to be honest, but I've been matched and been speaking to a few people who don't really seem to mind how I look, which is good. And there's one girl on OKCupid who I'm talking to who really seems in to me. A lot of these dating/social apps rely heavily on having model looks but, sometimes, on the odd occasion, you come across someone who favours personality over appearance.

Leeness

Also, either you don't get matches or they're all guys who say mean things - those things can't work together. I feel like it's all being exaggerated for effect.

I don't get matches on things that require a match to talk, so like...Tinder/Bumble. I had Tinder and Bumble for a month each and had no conversations and if someone did match, they immediately unmatched once I said hi. Lol.

On apps where people can just say stuff (POF, OKC) it's either weird insult/compliments (neg?), mean stuff or "DTF" (which was recently mixed with an insult! "DTF because I'd never actually date you"). Lol.

Anyway, sorry, I don't want to derail you guys or get into weird debates about how ugly I am. I just wanted to pop in my two cents that I found Tinder sucky lol. Will go now.

Drahcir

Leeness, for the sake of your well being, I hope you end up with a real decent and upstanding guy (to your liking) who wouldn't be driven nuts by your ultra modesty.

So, just a brief update on my situation from a few weeks ago. I stuck with Match, spruced up my profile a bit with suggestions from you fine helpers here and added a small dash of self-deprecating humor. Well, I've been getting more views! But even with the adjustments made to my first messages, I still don't have a single reply. Two girls messaged me first though. One is out of my racial preference and the other can barely speak English although they both seem like nice people.

And it's not like I am messaging girls clearly way out of my league or anything. It just makes me feel more and more insecure of my looks or how people see me visually. :(

I don't get matches on things that require a match to talk, so like...Tinder/Bumble. I had Tinder and Bumble for a month each and had no conversations and if someone did match, they immediately unmatched once I said hi. Lol.

On apps where people can just say stuff (POF, OKC) it's either weird insult/compliments (neg?), mean stuff or "DTF" (which was recently mixed with an insult! "DTF because I'd never actually date you"). Lol.

Alright, your problem is that you see these encounters as representative of online dating while these are nothing more than the first barrier. Just ignore the morons and keep at it until you find someone that's capable of having a normal conversation. They have to be out there, for you as well. The real dating starts there (meeting a lot of people that have passed that first barrier).

Yeah, no one said online dating was easy. You have to put some work in. Being discouraged after a few tries will get you nothing.

Anyway, sorry, I don't want to derail you guys or get into weird debates about how ugly I am. I just wanted to pop in my two cents that I found Tinder sucky lol. Will go now.

You are stubborn as hell. Where did you get the idea that you're ugly? The only thing 'weird' here is that you keep saying you are. It's ridiculous and frankly, it's also annoying the crap out of me because I simply can't believe you're for real with that nonsense. Again, if you are - seek help.

And don't shittalk Tinder. It's fucking awesome. You wouldn't believe how great this girl is I've met. I will be forever thankful for that stupid app. Just keep at it.

Scotch

Maybe you could try posting some of your pictures in this thread, or pm them to some folks you trust. If I had to guess, it's that pictures of you lying on your bed looking rather seductive (like in your avatar) are attracting a particular type of guy that is more likely to be an asshole. Of course you might be using completely different pictures, I don't know. But this thread is here to help eachother out, not just for wallowing in self-pity (although that's fine too, I've done it myself :D).

I don't doubt that there are way more assholes among guys on Tinder than among girls. And that has to suck. But there are plenty of decent guys who would want to date you, of that I'm sure.

Leeness

Me said:

Forget I said anything. Thanks.

Forget I said anything. Thanks.

I'm going to say one thing -- which I debated mentioning -- but, here goes: the way you talk about yourself is troubling, and I wonder if it might be symptomatic of something more deep seated, such as body dysmorphia issues. Setting aside assholes on Tinder (of course they're out there), you consistently reject the affirming statements of people in this thread who make relatively light observations such as "No, you're not hideous."

Because -- objectively -- you're not.

If you think otherwise, then literally everyone in this thread, none of us who know you or will ever meet you or expect anything from you, is part of a vast conspiracy to placate/deceive you. Which, of course, is absurd. Subjectively, obviously, you feel what you feel. Additionally, generalizations such as "all men..." aren't helpful: that said, I fully agree that women deal with a bunch of bullshit on dating sites, and maybe for some people it's not an ideal medium.

Anyway, I wish you the best. I hope you find what you're looking for (and please don't reply to this with "I won't find anything anyway").

Leeness, for the sake of your well being, I hope you end up with a real decent and upstanding guy (to your liking) who wouldn't be driven nuts by your ultra modesty.

So, just a brief update on my situation from a few weeks ago. I stuck with Match, spruced up my profile a bit with suggestions from you fine helpers here and added a small dash of self-deprecating humor. Well, I've been getting more views! But even with the adjustments made to my first messages, I still don't have a single reply. Two girls messaged me first though. One is out of my racial preference and the other can barely speak English although they both seem like nice people.

And it's not like I am messaging girls clearly way out of my league or anything. It just makes me feel more and more insecure of my looks or how people see me visually. :(

Many times, it's not looks but rather how you present yourself. Feel free to post your pictures for a critique. Instead of spending time and energy feeling insecure, you could channel that energy into doing things to improve your catered, curated appearance as depicted on dating sites. (No, this isn't a "go to the gym, brah" thing. Although, everyone should be doing that anyway.) We've talked at length about this with others, but -- good lighting, friends, action shots, puppies, tailored clothes, etc. You should know the drill by now.

Symphonia

Banned
So this girl attempted to catfish me yesterday but did a really poor job at it. Her photos did not look a like at all. I called her out on it and blocked her promptly. She set up another profile and messaged me this morning, asking me to give her a chance to explain. Do I? I mean, she lied once, what's to say she won't do it again? If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's liars and catfishes on dating sites and/or in general.

Palpable

Hatred is an emotion that is dangerously close to love.

So this girl attempted to catfish me yesterday but did a really poor job at it. Her photos did not look a like at all. I called her out on it and blocked her promptly. She set up another profile and messaged me this morning, asking me to give her a chance to explain. Do I? I mean, she lied once, what's to say she won't do it again? If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's liars and catfishes on dating sites and/or in general.

Allow her/him/it to explain, but only because I'm curious.

Symphonia

Banned
Allow her/him/it to explain, but only because I'm curious.
'Her' excuse was 'she' feels uncomfortable with her body. 'She' hates how small 'her' boobs are, etc. I've requested a photo to be sent on WhatsApp, non-nude, of her holding up a sign with my name written on it, with her doing a peace sign. I'm still awaiting the photo.

Top Bottom