• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Raptomex

Don't forget the likes going out, but also enjoys lounging on the couch watching TV/Netflix/Movies.
This guy gets it.

I'm also not holding any alcoholic drink in my hand in any of my pictures. I guess I'm not a social superstar? Is that how this works?

GabDX

Banned
So I saw a women whose profile only had a single sentence: "Message me if you can spell" (or something like that). I sent her this message: "Hy howe r u ?/ ur kute u ave nysse ise". A few minutes after reading my message she closed her account. Do you guys think there is a link?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
This is just an observation. Is it just me or are many of these girls all the same? Or at least the girls I find attractive. If I had to base attraction off of their profiles/about me's they would all be the same.

I haven't messaged many I was matched up with but this is what I see on their profiles and, now, my thoughts about these statements just to keep it exciting in my head.

Her: "I'm adventurous!"
Me: I'm assuming this means you go outside. I do, too but I want to be clear, I'm not Indiana Jones.

Her: "I love to laugh!" (this is one of my favorites)
Me: Yeah, there's too many girls that get angry when they laugh.

Her: "I don't want a little boy, I want a man." (this one is quite popular)
Me: I would hope so. Otherwise it could be pedophilia.

So if you strip away most of the common details that they all share, "easy-going and laid back", "I like to hang out with my friends", "I like to go out and have fun", you don't have much left. These aren't really bad I suppose. It just gets boring to read the same thing over and over again. I mean the idea is to talk to them and get to know them, I get that but just observing the profiles, if I had to base anything off of that, there's not much to go on with most of them. The quotes need to stop, though; "I live life to the fullest!". Yeah, I don't know what that means and it tells me nothing. Some girls just quote shit that make absolutely no sense for an "about me" section.

No offense to anyone that puts any of this in their profiles. Just observing. I actually find a lot of it amusing. The quotes drive me up a wall, though.

Idk about you guys but I'm surrounded by a ton of girls who want to be, becoming, or are nurses or are in some form of medical profession. I'm starting to think the hell with this. I can just jump into traffic, wake up, meet them that way. Lol.

This chick I'm heavy texting now she literally put NOTHING in but that she watched "Snapped". Nothing. Fucking bupkiss.

I messaged her because I know a chick in her late thirties with blue hair and facial piercings and I HAVE to have way more in common than 10%. It fucking can't be that little. No. That's bullshit.

So I drop her a line and shit is going aces, she just hates filling out profiles. I'm like "WTF quality of dude did you expect with an empty profile?" except that you enjoy a show about women killing their lovers?

Raptomex

This chick I'm heavy texting now she literally put NOTHING in but that she watched "Snapped". Nothing. Fucking bupkiss.

I messaged her because I know a chick in her late thirties with blue hair and facial piercings HAVE to have way more in common than 10%. It fucking can't be that little. No. That's bullshit.

So I drop her a line and shit is going aces, she just hates filling out profiles. I'm like "WTF quality of dude did you expect with an empty profile?" except that you enjoy a show about women killing their lovers?
She probably hates laughing, though. Gotta be careful. They're all over the place.

Kyne

my girlfriend's profile was a little.. 'different' .

Pretty sure she had something like:

-You might hear pterodactyl noises coming from my general direction.
-I'm an awkward turtle.

then she she was rocking this tattoo..
260596_10151217136637176_1998682985_n_zps352c743e.jpg
obviously I had to have her.

Raptomex

-I'm an awkward turtle.

Good work. Better than 90% of the others that are "outgoing" and "don't like to play games", whatever that fucking means. Girl, I'm on GAF, I play games all the time, deal with it.

So the one girl I messaged on Tinder hasn't been active in 2 days but apparently she's only 1 mile away from my house. I should drive around the neighborhood and surrounding area shouting her name. "Check your phone. I'm sure you got a notification. Rude".

Nah, I'm not a creeper

Sami+

Heading to bed now. Been texting that girl for a few hours today - she's really cool. Feeling good. :)

Me: "It was really really nice talking to you. I'll text ya tomorrow. 😉
'Night!"
Her: "Alrighty. 'Night ☺️"

Good day

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Good work. Better than 90% of the others that are "outgoing" and "don't like to play games", whatever that fucking means. Girl, I'm on GAF, I play games all the time, deal with it.

So the one girl I messaged on Tinder hasn't been active in 2 days but apparently she's only 1 mile away from my house. I should drive around the neighborhood and surrounding area shouting her name. "Check your phone. I'm sure you got a notification. Rude".

Nah, I'm not a creeper

haha, yeah.

"I DONT PLAY GAMES"

so, no super mario huh

-I'm an awkward turtle.

i think i'd be more attracted to her fingers

gugi40

This is just an observation. Is it just me or are many of these girls all the same? Or at least the girls I find attractive. If I had to base attraction off of their profiles/about me's they would all be the same.

I haven't messaged many I was matched up with but this is what I see on their profiles and, now, my thoughts about these statements just to keep it exciting in my head.

Her: "I'm adventurous!"
Me: I'm assuming this means you go outside. I do, too but I want to be clear, I'm not Indiana Jones.

Her: "I love to laugh!" (this is one of my favorites)
Me: Yeah, there's too many girls that get angry when they laugh.

Her: "I don't want a little boy, I want a man." (this one is quite popular)
Me: I would hope so. Otherwise it could be pedophilia.

So if you strip away most of the common details that they all share, "easy-going and laid back", "I like to hang out with my friends", "I like to go out and have fun", you don't have much left. These aren't really bad I suppose. It just gets boring to read the same thing over and over again. I mean the idea is to talk to them and get to know them, I get that but just observing the profiles, if I had to base anything off of that, there's not much to go on with most of them. The quotes need to stop, though; "I live life to the fullest!". Yeah, I don't know what that means and it tells me nothing. Some girls just quote shit that make absolutely no sense for an "about me" section.

No offense to anyone that puts any of this in their profiles. Just observing. I actually find a lot of it amusing. The quotes drive me up a wall, though.

Idk about you guys but I'm surrounded by a ton of girls who want to be, becoming, or are nurses or are in some form of medical profession. I'm starting to think the hell with this. I can just jump into traffic, wake up, meet them that way. Lol.
Dont worry you arent alone, honestly about 82% of guys profiles is either nothing but "ask me" or "i like to travel" wow you like to travel?! Or my personal favourite "I go to the gym" as if the pictures of them did not signify that at all..."HUR DURR I LUV DA GYM WORK OUT OS MY PASHON" and then no other interests following. I dont know about other girls but I dont give a golden flying fuck if you exercise.

I read some girls profiles on POF and I have to say a lot have good write ups, but I have noticed the samey trend as well. Its creepy.
Also there is a disturbing amount of guys from central canada (alberta, sask, and so on) seems like all the guys that do oil rigging feel alone as of late.

davepoobond

Speaking of bad profiles, whenever I find a terrible quote on a girls page I always post it on my site. There are some real doozies. I guess I'll post some here that I've posted in the past if there is interest, but don't want to take away from the current discussions :p

I have yet to trawl through men's pages for terrible quotes.

Sami+

What always gets me is that tinder is FULL of bikini pictures lol. Like every single person has one either as the profile picture or one of the following ones. I don't have a problem with bikinis but it gets boring lol

Kyne

What always gets me is that tinder is FULL of bikini pictures lol. Like every single person has one either as the profile picture or one of the following ones. I don't have a problem with bikinis but it gets boring lol

well it's been speculated that tinder is a 'hookup' site more than a dating one.

ofc people will post pics of their half-naked bodies. that's probably the best way to get action.

Halcyon

People always say they don't want to see you without your shirt on, or showing skin, but whenever I put a picture up without my shirt on I get all sorts of attention.

y2dvd

People always say stuff they don't truly mean. Everything goes out the window if you actually meet.

So the girl I was supposed to meet tomorrow confessed to getting out of a relationship just 2 weeks ago and she thought dating can get her mind off of it. She said she didn't want to make me a rebound so she couldn't let this go any further. Oh well, at least she didn't cancel on me in the last minute.
I would've been fine being a rebound =(

Sami+

well it's been speculated that tinder is a 'hookup' site more than a dating one.

ofc people will post pics of their half-naked bodies. that's probably the best way to get action.

That's fair enough, yeah. It just gets a bit repetitive seeing what's pretty much the same picture over and over lol.

People always say stuff they don't truly mean. Everything goes out the window if you actually meet.

So the girl I was supposed to meet yesterday confessed to getting out of a relationship just 2 weeks ago and she thought dating can get her mind off of it. She said she didn't want to make me a rebound so she couldn't let this go any further. Oh well, at least she didn't cancel on me in the last minute.
I would've been fine being a rebound =(

uh I got out of a relationship last month is this not normal

Don't forget the likes going out, but also enjoys lounging on the couch watching TV/Netflix/Movies.

What's wrong with liking either of these? I have words to a similar effect on my okc profile.

So I saw a women whose profile only had a single sentence: "Message me if you can spell" (or something like that). I sent her this message: "Hy howe r u ?/ ur kute u ave nysse ise". A few minutes after reading my message she closed her account. Do you guys think there is a link?

Although I wouldn't delete my account over it, I'd probably delete a message like that.

Dont worry you arent alone, honestly about 82% of guys profiles is either nothing but "ask me" or "i like to travel" wow you like to travel?! Or my personal favourite "I go to the gym" as if the pictures of them did not signify that at all..."HUR DURR I LUV DA GYM WORK OUT OS MY PASHON" and then no other interests following. I dont know about other girls but I dont give a golden flying fuck if you exercise.

I read some girls profiles on POF and I have to say a lot have good write ups, but I have noticed the samey trend as well. Its creepy.
Also there is a disturbing amount of guys from central canada (alberta, sask, and so on) seems like all the guys that do oil rigging feel alone as of late.

See men and women are similar. But seriously, who doesn't love to laugh, travel, etc.

I always believe in "show, not tell". Don't tell me how sarcastic your sense of humour is: say something in a sarcastic way. And when you say you like movies (does everyone have Netflix these days?) and sports/hanging out, that implies that you're an indoors+outdoors person. No need to spell it out.

And yeah, the Prairies (mostly Alberta) are filled with guys in the oil industry making tons of money and spending it all on prostitutes and alcohol (what else is there to do?)

Raptomex

The point I'm making is they are all the same based on profiles. Some do have good write ups but many of them, it's just the same shit. Nobody is going to say "I'm a lazy ass who stays in all day" so it doesn't make you stand out. I don't mind these things as long as there's other stuff on there to describe you that's not generic. I hang out with my friends, too. But who doesn't? "I like music!". Gee, what a catch.

I've noticed pics are all the same as well. That gets annoying, too. It's her and her friends standing in a line, their hands on their hips, smiling. I'm like which one are you? Then you scroll through the pics, and it's the same thing, different location, you need to find out which girl is in all the pics. I've just skipped some because I wasn't in the mood to look through another set. So many of these.

And they're big on exclamation points. Not all of them but many. Not everything is exciting. "Hi I'm Kate! I like the outdoors and hanging out with my friends!"...you go girl.

It's the quotes, though. That shit drives me crazy. It's like they don't know what to say about themselves so let's quote something.

Halcyon

The point I'm making is they are all the same based on profiles. Some do have good write ups but many of them, it's just the same shit. Nobody is going to say "I'm a lazy ass who stays in all day" so it doesn't make you stand out. I don't mind these things as long as there's other stuff on there to describe you that's not generic. I hang out with my friends, too. But who doesn't? "I like music!". Gee, what a catch.

I've noticed pics are all the same as well. That gets annoying, too. It's her and her friends standing in a line, their hands on their hips, smiling. I'm like which one are you? Then you scroll through the pics, and it's the same thing, different location, you need to find out which girl is in all the pics. I've just skipped some because I wasn't in the mood to look through another set. So many of these.

And they're big on exclamation points. Not all of them but many. Not everything is exciting. "Hi I'm Kate! I like the outdoors and hanging out with my friends!"...you go girl.

It's the quotes, though. That shit drives me crazy. It's like they don't know what to say about themselves so let's quote something.

why are you so worked up about it? I feel like you should realize not every single person on the planet has to be put on a pedestal. There are a ton of generic crappy dudes, just like there are women.

Raptomex

why are you so worked up about it? I feel like you should realize not every single person on the planet has to be put on a pedestal. There are a ton of generic crappy dudes, just like there are women.
I'm not upset, it's just an observation.

SRG01

See men and women are similar. But seriously, who doesn't love to laugh, travel, etc.

I always believe in "show, not tell". Don't tell me how sarcastic your sense of humour is: say something in a sarcastic way. And when you say you like movies (does everyone have Netflix these days?) and sports/hanging out, that implies that you're an indoors+outdoors person. No need to spell it out.

And yeah, the Prairies (mostly Alberta) are filled with guys in the oil industry making tons of money and spending it all on prostitutes and alcohol (what else is there to do?)

You forgot the jacked-up trucks.

freshair

I'm not upset, it's just an observation.

It's just an unfortunate byproduct of playing "the game" of online dating.

Everyone wants to portray this facade of being interesting, outgoing, cultured, social, etc. So when everyone starts to do (and say) the same thing, you'll start to notice the pattern.

Unfortunately you're turning off a lot of potential matches if you write/show how you really are, underneath all the facade (play video games, introvert, etc). But if your goal is to attract someone similar, then you shouldn't worry about the above and -truly- by yourself.

For the rest of us, I only sprinkle in a little bit of that stuff and slowly reveal more and more as the relationship evolves. There's an unfortunate stereotype that playing videogames / being a homebody/introvert as being mutually exclusive with boring / lonely / awkward, which is not the case.

Hence my slow reveal. Yes, it sucks, but it's the reality.

Horseticuffs

I was right there with ya' until you threw shade at quotes. I think a tasteful one in the beginning can give you a decent taste of someone. It means they at least put a modicum of effort into their profile.

Eh I find most men have the same problem ie generic profiles and pictures. Selfies abound. And ridiculous overuse of 'lol' after saying something not remotely funny.

It's just an unfortunate byproduct of playing "the game" of online dating.

Everyone wants to portray this facade of being interesting, outgoing, cultured, social, etc. So when everyone starts to do (and say) the same thing, you'll start to notice the pattern.

Unfortunately you're turning off a lot of potential matches if you write/show how you really are, underneath all the facade (play video games, introvert, etc). But if your goal is to attract someone similar, then you shouldn't worry about the above and -truly- by yourself.

For the rest of us, I only sprinkle in a little bit of that stuff and slowly reveal more and more as the relationship evolves. There's an unfortunate stereotype that playing videogames / being a homebody/introvert as being mutually exclusive with boring / lonely / awkward, which is not the case.

Hence my slow reveal. Yes, it sucks, but it's the reality.

So basically online dating is like viewing people's Facebook profile.

*picture of person at exotic travel destination*
*picture of person at fancy restaurant with fancy dish*
*picture of person and friends*
*deep meaningful quote*
*"lol so true" with link to Buzzfeed/Cracked article*

Raptomex

Eh I find most men have the same problem ie generic profiles and pictures. Selfies abound. And ridiculous overuse of 'lol' after saying something not remotely funny.
I've never viewed a dude's profile but I imagine it's all the same or similar stuff. Idk. And yes the lol stuff. Lol is used way too loosely.
I was right there with ya' until you threw shade at quotes. I think a tasteful one in the beginning can give you a decent taste of someone. It means they at least put a modicum of effort into their profile.
I don't mind quotes if you have something else in the profile. Some girls just put in quotes in the "about me" section and that's it. It tells you nothing and it doesn't make sense. Not only that but many of the quotes are the same. "live life to the fullest and be happy" or something similar. "Life's too short, got to go out and live sometimes". That's all good if they can at least put a little something about themselves afterwards is all.
Amen to the latter.

Horseticuffs

I'll tell you guys, I wasn't entirely sure why we needed this thread AND dating-age but, you know what? Fuck it, ALL dating threads are a good time.

SRG01

We need a thread dedicated to pick-up lines. I found a few basic threads. Some funny shit. I was cracking up.

I already teased a girl about taking photos/videos in portrait mode, so we'll see how that goes :)

I'm only looking for friends on OkCupid though

freshair

So basically online dating is like viewing people's Facebook profile.

*picture of person at exotic travel destination*
*picture of person at fancy restaurant with fancy dish*
*picture of person and friends*
*deep meaningful quote*
*"lol so true" with link to Buzzfeed/Cracked article*

Basically, hah. And you're suppose to read between the lines and discern if they're an interesting enough person to have a first date with.

Drensch

Ok GAF advice time.
Earlier this week met a really cool girl on okc.
Exchanged some lengthy messages. She didn't want to give out her phone number until we had met, which I'm cool with and I gave her mine anyways.
On Monday, we agreed to meet on the following Sunday evening,(tomorrow) which I took a day off work for, because her schedule is really tight this week.

We didn't agree to particulars about Sunday, and I've not heard from her since, I assumed we'd hash out specifics in additional correspondence.

Thursday I sent her a message she hasn't read yet asking how stuff was going.
At what point to I cut bait and just go to work?

Horseticuffs

Ok GAF advice time.
Earlier this week met a really cool girl on okc.
Exchanged some lengthy messages. She didn't want to give out her phone number until we had met, which I'm cool with and I gave her mine anyways.
On Monday, we agreed to meet on the following Sunday evening,(tomorrow) which I took a day off work for, because her schedule is really tight this week.

We didn't agree to particulars about Sunday, and I've not heard from her since, I assumed we'd hash out specifics in additional correspondence.

Thursday I sent her a message she hasn't read yet asking how stuff was going.
At what point to I cut bait and just go to work?

Just ask directly tomorrow! Nothing wrong with being straightforward.
I agree. I had a similar situation yesterday with a girl having car problems. She hadn't told me and if I hadn't asked what was up I don't know if she just would have no-showed. I would have probably picked her up if I'd been more into her. Ah well, get busy living or get busy dying I guess.

Just text and you've done everything you can.

Need some advice:
Started chatting with this girl from POF. We traded numbers and seemed to hit it off with me being into her and vice versa. Last time she returned/sent a message though was a little over a week ago. Not to long ago, she was in the hospital so in total over this past week I sent three messages just to make sure she was OK and not back there. Today I sent the third message and still nothing. I know she has seen the messages but just hasn't replied. Is her interest in me done? Move on?

davepoobond

Need some advice:
Started chatting with this girl from POF. We traded numbers and seemed to hit it off with me being into her and vice versa. Last time she returned/sent a message though was a little over a week ago. Not to long ago, she was in the hospital so in total over this past week I sent three messages just to make sure she was OK and not back there. Today I sent the third message and still nothing. I know she has seen the messages but just hasn't replied. Is her interest in me done? Move on?

why would it matter to you if she's in the hospital again, of all places? if you "know" she's seen your messages, why would she be "in the hospital" yet able to access her dating profile?

she's done. if they dont reply after 1 or maybe 2, you're not getting anything.

especially if its a text. that goes directly to their phone. if they read it and don't respond, they are giving you the big F U

Sami+

I feel like I text you much in general, lol. Trying to get out of that habit. When I'm interested in someone it's waaaaay too easy for my to latch on. Thankfully I now have the sense not to "are you there" text haha. I've made it a rule to never send more than two in a row - at least not in a single day.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your situation EdibleKnife. Good luck finding someone else.

I feel like I text you much in general, lol. Trying to get out of that habit. When I'm interested in someone it's waaaaay too easy for my to latch on. Thankfully I now have the sense not to "are you there" text haha. I've made it a rule to never send more than two in a row - at least not in a single day.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your situation EdibleKnife. Good luck finding someone else.

Haha I've attempted the same rule. I knew to expect things like this to happen but still a bit of a bummer. Thanks

Well, fuck. Somehow I've ended up with a date for this Tuesday. Started talking to the girl on OkCupid on Friday (she messaged me) and we've since moved to texting and really hit it off. I'm excited, but I'm also worried that my anxiety's gonna fuck things up big time. Any advice and/or reassurance would be appreciated.

EDIT: I should probably also add that this will be my first date ever.

Top Bottom