• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
speaking of height, i'm 5'9", so i'm not really short, but i'm not tall either. the only girl i went out with this past string of effort also stated 5'9".

she towered over me, she was easily 6'1" (she was wearing flats). it was sort of awkward i think only because she blatantly lied about her height. i don't really have a problem with it, i guess, but once they wear high heels it could be weird.

Haha, don't sweat it. I'm a polo totting, short haired 170 cm (5'7") guy currently seeing a 180 cm (5'11") gothy rocker with red bangs, plaid skirt and NiN shirt. We are quite the sight. Luckily for me, she hasn't brought high heeled boots or anything like that yet.

Very tall girls are probably a bit insecure because they are seen as less feminine. IDGAF, more legs for me.

SRG01

I don't mind dating taller girls, but holding hands is a bit awkward because it means I have to pull my wrist upward and it hurts after a while :/

Valus

I'm 6'5". Oddly enough the tallest girl I've dated was 5'3". It's not a preference thing...no issues with tall chicks. Just never had an oppotunity with one, I guess.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Haha, don't sweat it. I'm a polo totting, short haired 170 cm (5'7") guy currently seeing a 180 cm (5'11") gothy rocker with red bangs, plaid skirt and NiN shirt. We are quite the sight. Luckily for me, she hasn't brought high heeled boots or anything like that yet.

Very tall girls are probably a bit insecure because they are seen as less feminine. IDGAF, more legs for me.

Yeah, i know. Not really a big issue (pun intended), just caught me off guard when we met.

So I'm talking to this other chick and I ask her what kind of relationship she's looking for and she says "ummm not sure. A serious, but easy thing".

Anyone know how to decipher that? Haha

SRG01

Yeah, i know. Not really a big issue (pun intended), just caught me off guard when we met.

So I'm talking to this other chick and I ask her what kind of relationship she's looking for and she says "ummm not sure. A serious, but easy thing".

Anyone know how to decipher that? Haha

That means she doesn't want any drama.

Sami+

Huh. Is this actually a thing?

541ce71e35454.png

I stopped using OKC after a few minutes and decided to use tinder exclusively so I'm not really sure what to make of this lol.

Raptomex

So the girl I hit it off with still didn't "let me know" if we're on for tomorrow. She suggested the location but didn't let me know a time. Though, she didn't text me first all week. Here and there we texted thanks to me. I didn't want to be a pest so I didn't ask her for updates on the meet. According to her Facebook post the other day she worked 55 hours this week and had to cram for an exam. If that's accurate then I guess it's understandable why I didn't hear from her? Should I ask her for an update tomorrow?

davepoobond

Huh. Is this actually a thing?

541ce71e35454.png

I stopped using OKC after a few minutes and decided to use tinder exclusively so I'm not really sure what to make of this lol.

i think its a gimmick to get you to go back to using it, personally, but the matching algorithm happens regardless. i don't think they have a switch, necessarily, that says "you're attractive, here's more attractive people for you" -- its probably some sort of automated email for people who dont use it often or something like that.

Sami+

i think its a gimmick to get you to go back to using it, personally, but the matching algorithm happens regardless. i don't think they have a switch, necessarily, that says "you're attractive, here's more attractive people for you" -- its probably some sort of automated email for people who dont use it often or something like that.

Ah, okay.

stn

I think most of OKC is bullshit. I received a ton of quick match likes, was told I could search profiles by star rating as a reward. So, naturally, I started conducting searches of only five-star profiles. NOTHING CHANGED. Same results.

OKC is total BS.

Drensch

So the girl I hit it off with still didn't "let me know" if we're on for tomorrow. She suggested the location but didn't let me know a time. Though, she didn't text me first all week. Here and there we texted thanks to me. I didn't want to be a pest so I didn't ask her for updates on the meet. According to her Facebook post the other day she worked 55 hours this week and had to cram for an exam. If that's accurate then I guess it's understandable why I didn't hear from her? Should I ask her for an update tomorrow?

Almost the same exact situation as me a week ago.
I was told to ask, and I guess it's really the only option.

Jhoan

I have my third date in about an hour... Kind of nervous.
Good luck brah. I'm standing by for my date. She'll arrive in about an hour or so. There's a drawing event going on where some friends are with unlimited beer and pizza for $10 so I suggested that or the tour that I promised her. I'm feeling pretty good about this date; if I play my cards right, I might see some action tonight. Stay tuned for the aftermath guys. ;)

Also, I have another date tomorrow at a museum with an aforementioned girl that I messaged back and forth with in Spanish (see previous post). Double header dates back to back and I'm messaging new girls on Tinder. Oh brother is it hard out there for a pimp or what guys? Got lots of micromanaging to do.
XD

Aright, today was a mess. 15 minutes before, she texts and says that she'd be late by half an hour, not a big deal. But then when we sat down for bubble tea, it was quite a bit of awkward silence, it it was sort of clear that she didn't want to do much talking. Pretty sure that's the end of it, but I've left the ball in her court.

So yeah, more of a general question: if you do a sit down coffee like thing for a first date, what do you talk about? And if you're out of things to say, then what?

Everyone gets that.
I haven't. And I've had an active account for a year. And I even get mod rights on that site!

SRG01

Good luck!! :)

Good luck brah. I'm standing by for my date. She'll arrive in about an hour or so. There's a drawing event going on where some friends are with unlimited beer and pizza for $10 so I suggested that or the tour that I promised her. I'm feeling pretty good about this date; if I play my cards right, I might see some action tonight. Stay tuned for the aftermath guys. ;)

Also, I have another date tomorrow at a museum with an aforementioned girl that I messaged back and forth with in Spanish (see previous post). Double header dates back to back and I'm messaging new girls on Tinder. Oh brother is it hard out there for a pimp or what guys? Got lots of micromanaging to do.
XD

Thanks for the show of support! Not sure if it went well though. Third base, but not sure if it's going too fast or not.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Aright, today was a mess. 15 minutes before, she texts and says that she'd be late by half an hour, not a big deal. But then when we sat down for bubble tea, it was quite a bit of awkward silence, it it was sort of clear that she didn't want to do much talking. Pretty sure that's the end of it, but I've left the ball in her court.

So yeah, more of a general question: if you do a sit down coffee like thing for a first date, what do you talk about? And if you're out of things to say, then what?!

Assuming it isn't shitty outside, suggest going for a walk.

Jhoan

Thanks for the show of support! Not sure if it went well though. Third base, but not sure if it's going too fast or not.

Third base?! Nice. As for my date, it went pretty well. It wasn't a hook up date like I thought it was more so than it was for her to see me before leaving to meet up with her friend at 11 so it was a 2 hour date but a good one at that. She apologized for having to cut it short early but I felt like it wasn't abrupt and was totally cool about it.

I got really good vibes from her that it felt like we clicked despite being from different cultures. She was a really cool girl overall that I couldn't get that thought out of my head. Went to Barcade here in NYC which she genuinely enjoyed going to since she told me it'd been at a decade since she last went to an arcade place. We played a couple of arcades, had a beer, sat down, and chatted.

Signs of interest included that she laughed at my corny jokes, was really fascinated by everything that I had to say and show her, and we touched a few times here and there including me lightly touching her shoulder; asking her if she lifted and squeezed her tricep; she squeezed mines in turn and was impressed by my arm; high fiving a couple of times during games and she let me touch her hair. I felt really comfortable around her and felt like I could be myself with having to bullshit her.

In the end, she said she had to leave to which I said that I would walk her to the subway but she said that I didn't have to do that and that I should stay in the bar and have fun. Eventually I won out and so we walked to the subway station, several blocks north, waited for her train, thanked her for taking the time to finally hang out and told her that we should do it again soon. I suggested we go to a Medieval festival that's next Sunday but unfortunately, another friend of hers from Australia is going to be crashing at her place for a week on that day, to which we both frowned to. I then hugged her as her train came and went to go wait for mines.

I shot her a text as soon as I got home telling her that I enjoyed being in her company with a smiley face and told her to let me know how that concert went afterwards. Fingers crossed that it leads somewhere. I felt like I had a better connection with her than I did with other girls I went out with possibly because she was pretty genuine and did not try to bullshit me by saying crap to try impress me for the sake of it.

Date number 2/2 of my weekend double header with a Spanish speaking Paralegal who lives in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) in several hours. I'm excited to go to that museum since I've never been there before despite walking by there every Friday night.

SRG01

Third base?! Nice. As for my date, it went pretty well. It wasn't a hook up date like I thought it was more so than it was for her to see me before leaving to meet up with her friend at 11 so it was a 2 hour date but a good one at that. She apologized for having to cut it short early but I felt like it wasn't abrupt and was totally cool about it.

I got really good vibes from her that it felt like we clicked despite being from different cultures. She was a really cool girl overall that I couldn't get that thought out of my head. Went to Barcade here in NYC which she genuinely enjoyed going to since she told me it'd been at a decade since she last went to an arcade place. We played a couple of arcades, had a beer, sat down, and chatted.

Signs of interest included that she laughed at my corny jokes, was really fascinated by everything that I had to say and show her, and we touched a few times here and there including me lightly touching her shoulder; asking her if she lifted and squeezed her tricep; she squeezed mines in turn and was impressed by my arm; high fiving a couple of times during games and she let me touch her hair. I felt really comfortable around her and felt like I could be myself with having to bullshit her.

In the end, she said she had to leave to which I said that I would walk her to the subway but she said that I didn't have to do that and that I should stay in the bar and have fun. Eventually I won out and so we walked to the subway station, several blocks north, waited for her train, thanked her for taking the time to finally hang out and told her that we should do it again soon. I suggested we go to a Medieval festival that's next Sunday but unfortunately, another friend of hers from Australia is going to be crashing at her place for a week on that day, to which we both frowned to. I then hugged her as her train came and went to go wait for mines.

I shot her a text as soon as I got home telling her that I enjoyed being in her company with a smiley face and told her to let me know how that concert went afterwards. Fingers crossed that it leads somewhere. I felt like I had a better connection with her than I did with other girls I went out with possibly because she was pretty genuine and did not try to bullshit me by saying crap to try impress me for the sake of it.

Date number 2/2 of my weekend double header with a Spanish speaking Paralegal who lives in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) in several hours. I'm excited to go to that museum since I've never been there before despite walking by there every Friday night.

The thing is that I'm deathly afraid of a relationship being defined by boinky-time. Too often have I entered a relationship where, crudely speaking, the girl is more interested in my dick than actually getting to know me. :p

No chemistry. She expressed interest in a second date too. :(

Setting up a date with another girl but she won't tell me her name despite me dropping mine twice.

davepoobond

Just been chatting with the one girl, asked if she wants to meet and said "sure, but lets get to know each other first"

Usually when they say that I run out of things to talk about by day 3

Sketchbag

Banned

I don't want to sound like a worrywart but... I think she won't be texting you back. :/

If she has already please shame me to eternity.

I don't want to sound like a worrywart but... I think she won't be texting you back. :/

If she has already please shame me to eternity.

Sounds 50/50 TBH from reading his story. She's definitely interested but evidently not super interested to the point that she might desire a long-term romantic connection. There's positive signs in there like the fact they had an obviously good time and physical contact but also negative signs with her cutting the date short and shooting down the second potential date idea. I'm interested to see where this one goes. Let us know if you progress any further with this girl Jipan. I'd love to read a sequel to your story.

Kyne

So yeah, more of a general question: if you do a sit down coffee like thing for a first date, what do you talk about? And if you're out of things to say, then what?

I haven't. And I've had an active account for a year. And I even get mod rights on that site!

On my first date with my current GF we talked about favorite/least favorite foods, hobbies, places we want to go/see, what we do for a living, what we want to do in the future. Just keep it simple.. unless religion/politics is important to you I'd stray away from the topic.

Sounds a bit iffy man. Red flag #1 was cutting it short, #2 was turning down your second date, #3 was not wanting you to walk her to the train. I hope all goes well though.

The thing is that I'm deathly afraid of a relationship being defined by boinky-time. Too often have I entered a relationship where, crudely speaking, the girl is more interested in my dick than actually getting to know me. :p

Bah.. my gf and I both made the decision to get tested for stuff before we started boinking. I'm about a month and a half into this relationship and we've yet to do it (the gyno she wanted was very busy and didn't have something until a month out) .. I think it's a pretty natural thing for an adult, so just have fun and don't over-think it.

Got a date in about an hour. Wish me luck, homies.

Good luck!

Jhoan

Sounds a bit iffy man. Red flag #1 was cutting it short, #2 was turning down your second date, #3 was not wanting you to walk her to the train. I hope all goes well though.
I needed a fresh set of eyes to assess it so thanks for that. I didn't realize that.

Speaking of dates being cut short, my 2nd date ended a few minutes ago since she said she had work to do. Am I really a bad date or was it too serious? That girl gave me mixed vibes but I felt like she was a bit uptight. I cracked a few jokes that she laughed at but maybe a museum isn't a good place to go to on a date. Now I can't help but be a wary of when girls go into the bathroom to try to find a means of escape.

I thought it went okay. Could've been better, could've been worse. She's really smart but I'm on the fence about her. When I suggested that we go to the festival next Sunday she dismissed it saying that she's been to those and wasn't really impressed but said she would be down to go any way. I gotta figure out what she's into besides art and go along with it. It kinda felt like she was a bit of a princess but I suppose that's what happens when I date a White girl from Williamsburg. I told her I'll text in a few hours and here I am walking downtown writing this post. Maybe since it was the first date she was a bit uptight. I dunno. What do you guys think?

Sketchbag

Banned
I needed a fresh set of eyes to assess it so thanks for that. I didn't realize that.

Speaking of dates being cut short, my 2nd date ended a few minutes ago since she said she had work to do. Am I really a bad date or was it too serious? That girl gave me mixed vibes but I felt like she was a bit uptight. I cracked a few jokes that she laughed at but maybe a museum isn't a good place to go to on a date. Now I can't help but be a wary of when girls go into the bathroom to try to find a means of escape.

I thought it went okay. Could've been better, could've been worse. She's really smart but I'm on the fence about her. When I suggested that we go to the festival next Sunday she dismissed it saying that she's been to those and wasn't really impressed but said she would be down to go any way. I gotta figure out what she's into besides art and go along with it. It kinda felt like she was a bit of a princess but I suppose that's what happens when I date a White girl from Williamsburg. I told her I'll text in a few hours and here I am walking downtown writing this post. Maybe since it was the first date she was a bit uptight. I dunno. What do you guys think?

I think you're over thinking dates and trying to make them memorable or "cool". Just go hang out with her. Go bowling. Go to a bar. Go dancing. Go rock climbing or some shit. It's not the activity that you do that makes the date fun it's how you act.

Jhoan

I think you're over thinking dates and trying to make them memorable or "cool". Just go hang out with her. Go bowling. Go to a bar. Go dancing. Go rock climbing or some shit. It's not the activity that you do that makes the date fun it's how you act.
That's true, I think I do; I make it seem like it's a 5th date where I try to do fancy schmancy stuff. Bars are usually more my cup of tea any way since we can easily knock back a few drinks and relax. I'll hit her up shortly saying it was fun, etc.

Man how do I save myself from a bruised ego when you get a, "it was nice meeting you but this isn't working" even though the conversation and everyone was ok.

Luigi87

Man how do I save myself from a bruised ego when you get a, "it was nice meeting you but this isn't working" even though the conversation and everyone was ok.

Take away from it that at least she gave you a closure?
My last date gave me her number at the end of our date (at her prompting) then never bothered to respond to me ever again, lol

Jhoan

Also Jipan, I would stay away from trying to set up a future date... While still on a date.
Will do. I think I might have came off as desperate. =/

Then again, I overthink about a lot of things; dating is a learning experience. I won't repeat the same mistakes again.

Sami+

Just finished, date went alright. We met up at the mall, walked around a bit, I drove us to a local Japanese place to eat (I offered to pay but she insisted on splitting the bill), then we went back to the mall and saw The Drop (which was ok).

Didn't really feel a connection, even after a few hours of talking. We're into a lot of the same stuff and we had some laughs but I didn't really feel that "click". No physical contact either - I wanted to hug her before we split but by the time I turned around she was already leaving lol. She said she wanted to meet again so we could watch one of the classic film showings at the theater and I agreed, but it's not something I'm crazy excited for.

Ah well, it was an experience and she seems like she could be a decent friend. Nothing lost.

I haven't seen anyone else interesting on tinder in over a week now though. Getting kinda bored with it.

SRG01

Was it ever established what third base was here?

Oral/finger sex

Yes, that sounds about right!

Bah.. my gf and I both made the decision to get tested for stuff before we started boinking. I'm about a month and a half into this relationship and we've yet to do it (the gyno she wanted was very busy and didn't have something until a month out) .. I think it's a pretty natural thing for an adult, so just have fun and don't over-think it.

I'm completely new to this (I'm a virgin) so... how do I bring testing up??

Raptomex

So I texted her yesterday if she still wanted to meet up but she said she was going to stay in since she didn't feel well and felt really bad she couldn't see me. From what I know she worked serious overtime and studied for exams. Not sure if I should try again or just let her go.

To recap this is the girl who liked me and messaged me first, gave me her number when I asked, agreed to meet up and suggested the location. Just never confirmed a time all last week.

Top Bottom