• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Necrovex

I have that I'm a gamer on my profile and I do well. I certainly think I get messages because of it, and I don't think girls would be put off about it.

Anyway, about to head out. Not feeling confident for this one.

Kick some ass tonight!

I should probably rewrite my profile. I only have three months left of online dating before I move to a place where it doesn't exist.

NIGHT-

Guess it's time to pop back on Pof. I've been seeing a girl from there for about 6 months. We started falling apart a few weeks ago and decided just be friends for a while. I found out today that she started seeing someone else.. Why does this hurt so much? :/

No, I don't mean that at all.

I mean that if you're a gamer, there's no reason why you should hide it. If that's something you love doing, then you can bring it up if someone asks you want you like doing. I also don't see anything wrong with mentioning it on your profile.

I'm also addressing the notion that gaming is a doublestandard for "coolness" between girls and guys. I don't feel like it is. A girl that loves gaming doesn't care if you say you're a gamer-- that's probably more attractive to her, and vice versa.

The one guy I met from OKC was a gamer, a huge one, that played the same games as me. That's what attracted me to him-- we played the same games. If he didn't have that in his profile, I wouldn't have been interested. Gaming is a huge part of my life-- I'm going to look for someone that shares those interests.

So, if an interest is a huge part of your life, then you should mention it, despite the stigma. You may get skipped over by people that aren't into it, but who cares? Don't you want someone that shares your interest?
Apologies my lady.
I have that I'm a gamer on my profile and I do well. I certainly think I get messages because of it, and I don't think girls would be put off about it.

Anyway, about to head out. Not feeling confident for this one.

Get em tiger!

Necrovex

Guess it's time to pop back on Pof. I've been seeing a girl from there for about 6 months. We started falling apart a few weeks ago and decided just be friends for a while. I found out today that she started seeing someone else.. Why does this hurt so much? :/

Florida is a nightmare when it comes to PoF. I have had some of the worst dates and meetup thought that site. Either been super crazy or super boring.

y2dvd

4th date in and I'm about to go to a costume party with her and her former coworkers. She used to be their boss actually. I'm not the most sociable person, but I'm going to have to try really hard to mingle with them. Oh boy.

stn

I'm one of the people who thinks gaming should not be mentioned in a profile. Part of online dating is selling yourself and, maybe, stretching the truth of who you are. I'm a gamer but I don't mention it, I instead focus on my love of basketball and partying.

Gaming is something I mention in person. Depending on what kind of age you're trying to attract, you are expected to uphold a certain image. The average person will think of a gamer as someone anti-social, someone addicted to gaming. You want to give yourself the best chance possible in online dating because a girl can easily disappear in an instant. Once she does, she has 30 men waiting to message her.

Granted, I'm the type that doesn't look for 100% matching hobbies in a girl I exchange messages with. I prefer to actually meet girls with different hobbies so that I can be exposed to new things. The wisest thing to do would be to mention gaming if you see it in a girl's profile; if not, keep it for the first date when you have small-talk.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i received a message from a girl, saying "/wave"

I sent one right after saying "hi, how's it going?"

no response, so today i sent another asking if she saw my last message, also asking if the "/wave" is a reference to wow.

she responds with "!!!!! Get it internet boy!" and then asks if i play wow in a second message.

i'm sort of confused. don't really get the calling me "internet boy" thing.

jwk94

GUYS!!!!! I got a date! Been talking to this girl on OKCupid and she was really cool. So we arranged a date this yesterday. I was afraid she was going to be an axe murderer or stand me up or somethig but she came. We went to a used book store (seriously the best book store I've ever been to) checked out a board/card games shop, and ate at Panera Bread and Qdoba. She is amazingly fun. We're trying to arrange a second date but it's kinda difficult because of our schedules.

OK I've taken some profile tips from what I've seen here but I still would enjoy some critique:

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/PositiveCalvin

I like it in all honesty. I'm not one to get to in depth but the writing style gives it personality. Informative but breezy. Makes you seem chill and the photos are great. Lots of activity makes you seem well rounded. I give it a thumbs up.

Checked out your profile. I think you should use a picture of you smiling with your teeth as the profile pic? Or maybe something else with you smiling. For some reason, your current profile pic bothers me. Sorry =/

i received a message from a girl, saying "/wave"

I sent one right after saying "hi, how's it going?"

no response, so today i sent another asking if she saw my last message, also asking if the "/wave" is a reference to wow.

she responds with "!!!!! Get it internet boy!" and then asks if i play wow in a second message.

i'm sort of confused. don't really get the calling me "internet boy" thing.

She's obviously Clara Oswald.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I decided to message that girl that caught my eye---you know, I thought maybe I'd actually just put our similar tastes of gaming out there. I was just honest that it was the first profile that caught my eye.

I mean, it's not even the dating factor, I just think it'd be fun to talk to a girl about stuff like that where we aren't as "strangers" as on NeoGAF, behind user names and avatars. :)

jwk94

So, I decided to message that girl that caught my eye---you know, I thought maybe I'd actually just put our similar tastes of gaming out there. I was just honest that it was the first profile that caught my eye.

I mean, it's not even the dating factor, I just think it'd be fun to talk to a girl about stuff like that where we aren't as "strangers" as on NeoGAF, behind user names and avatars. :)

So we're no longer good enough for you? That's what you're saying right? =(

Checked out your profile. I think you should use a picture of you smiling with your teeth as the profile pic? Or maybe something else with you smiling. For some reason, your current profile pic bothers me. Sorry =/

Congrats on your date and no need to say sorry. I get where you're coming from. I'm weird about getting my picture taken. I smile but rarely do I show teeth. Aside from the one you pointed out, I really want to switch out most of the pics for better ones.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, never tried this online scene before but have signed up to POF. Here's my profile here. Anyone happy to have a look and give any advice and info? Be greatly appreciated :)

Profile here

Soi-Fong

Hi guys, never tried this online scene before but have signed up to POF. Here's my profile here. Anyone happy to have a look and give any advice and info? Be greatly appreciated :)

Profile here

Damn dude. You hot. And this is coming from a straight guy.

I dont think you'll have a problem getting messages. And I be jelly of your height.. Damn you... Lol

Profile here

Hmm I'm never too clear as to whether you should expound on your hobbies (like saying you like Fire Emblem, Fallout, etc.) or just keeping it simple (just leaving it at Video Games). If I had to say, I'd say keep it the way you've got it now so that it isn't too vague. Letting someone know you like Arrow rather than just saying I like Television gives them something to grasp onto. Other than that: going to the gym regular should be 'regularly' or 'on the regular'. The lack faith line seems strange. seems to lean toward "No one's messaging me" just how it's worded to me. I'd word it more like "So far my connections on this site haven't been so fulfilling but I know there ought to be someone right (or awesome) here so I'm expecting a message from just such a person". Also your pics are really good. Like Soi-Fong said, you're a handsome guy and the activity variety is great. I'd probably trade the far away mirror one for something slightly more clearer.

Alright gaf, as I said the other night, I'm giving it another go. Some profile suggestions are welcome. Wish me luck
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Gone_Golfing09

Edit; to join A-List, or no? Is it worth it?

As davepoo said, touch up the errors. The bluntness of I suck at golfing is fine but I think it'd work better with something added "I suck at golfing but that still won't keep me off the links" or "I suck at golfing but you'll never be able to pry the clubs from my hands" or some such. Also I might go with "I've done scuba diving quite often in the past and want to get back into it, possibly with some new, fledgling friends that I can show the ropes to". Friday nights. Where are you and your friends going the bar, a concert? And the message me, I'd say you should go with "If you want to know more about Scuba, golf, the #1 stop on my tour of baseball stadiums or just wanna know more in general about yours truly". Other than that, I've got nothing. You're good looking. Fit. Pics are good. Profile pic is a bit fuzzy but not bad. Good profile. No idea about A-List. I've debated it myself.

davepoobond

I was always bad at the use of semi-colons, but is that really a turn-off for some people?

the rule about semi-colons is, if you don't know how to use them, then don't.

and yeah, it can be for anyone who holds an english degree or pays attention to grammar correctly.

Roubjon

So after trying online dating for three weeks and chatting with a dozen people I eventually met this really awesome chick on OkCupid. After two days of talking a ton we set up a date for Saturday but actually met up on Friday instead. We really hit it off and ended up seeing each other for 48 hours straight haha. She's one of the coolest people I've gotten to know and it's crazy that I've only known her for a little over a week.

I'm sharing this to let you guys know to just keep trying and be yourself. Don't over think your profiles and things like that. All I had were some boring-ass selfies as photos and one good picture of me in an office. My profile was just me pretty much me describing how I live my life and how I view things in a summarized fashion. I also never assumed anything of the people who'd view my profile. So there was nothing like "guilty pleasures" or "I have to confess" written anywhere when it came to my interest and hobbies as if those things about me are bad or uninteresting.

So after trying online dating for three weeks and chatting with a dozen people I eventually met this really awesome chick on OkCupid. After two days of talking a ton we set up a date for Saturday but actually met up on Friday instead. We really hit it off and ended up seeing each other for 48 hours straight haha. She's one of the coolest people I've gotten to know and it's crazy that I've only known her for a little over a week.

I'm sharing this to let you guys know to just keep trying and be yourself. Don't over think your profiles and things like that. All I had were some boring-ass selfies as photos and one good picture of me in an office. My profile was just me pretty much me describing how I live my life and how I view things in a summarized fashion. I also never assumed anything of the people who'd view my profile. So there was nothing like "guilty pleasures" or "I have to confess" written anywhere when it came to my interest and hobbies as if those things about me are bad or uninteresting.

That's fantastic, gaffer! Glad it worked out for you! :)

y2dvd

It will be our 5th date tomorrow and she finally has time to stay the night over. Time to get me a bottle of champagne! Only bad thing though is it's on a working day but whatever.

Soi-Fong

So, a bit of an update on my end.

Went on a Starbucks date with the girl I met from OKC. The date in the simplest terms, went extremely well. It's a bit crazy on how well it went. I already had a slight feeling that it would go well when we both first saw each other and both of our faces just lit up like Christmas lights. We were texting each other like crazy before the date and both of us were just looking forward to it.

Talked about different interests from anime (she's a huge Attack On Titan fan) to gaming to completely random stuff like Ebola and Chicago overall to other topics. I was extremely happy in that as the date went on, I felt no pressure around her. She was talkative and extremely engaging with me. For example, I told her of my major being in animation and she was constantly asking me questions about it as well commenting on the animation reel I posted on my OKC account. She commented on how it's crazy how she had to meet me online instead of like a coffee shop or something.

She got to Starbucks around 8 or so at night and we stayed there till closing at 10. It was supposed to be around 7, but her work kept her late. Anyway, after closing she said she wanted to take a walk, but her not having a jacket, and it being already quite chilly, I asked if she wanted to go home since I knew that she also had work the next day. Same with me as well. She was insistent though that she wanted to spend more time with me so I suggested we could just sit at my car and chat more. I would have taken her to a bar or something, but she's only 20 and I'm 23.

Anyway, we spent two or so more hours just in my car chatting. Just literally talking about anything. We were both constantly laughing, talking about us, just different topics really. She was not afraid of putting her feelings out there which I really loved. It just made the atmosphere more "free." She played with my hair, we played fun "guessing" games, real random stuff. Like I said, nothing felt forced whatsoever. She actually told me that her cheeks were hurting from her smiling and laughing so much with me.

Anyway, around 12:30 AM, we said bye to each other. Before saying goodbye she asked me if I wanted to see each other again, to which I said yes. She held my face for a minute or two just looking at me saying, that she wanted to "etch it onto her mind" before leaving. I was making faces during this time which was making her laugh even more. I gave her a goodbye hug and a kiss on the cheek which made her blush like crazy.

Once I got home I sent her a text and again, just being playful with each other.

hGgb.jpg

Planning on seeing her again this week.

SRG01

People are looking for Winter Boos so this is a good sign for everyone :D

(Winter Boo = someone to cuddle with during cold Winter nights)

stn

Some girl just randomly messaged me that I have a huge ego. I recognize her, she gave me a high rating and has creeped me a few times.

lawlz.

y2dvd

stn I wish I had the same problems. >:p

So should I treat the 5th date with a nice dinner to impress or keep it cheap for a little longer (not that these past dates have been considered "cheap" by any means)?

stn I wish I had the same problems. >:p

So should I treat the 5th date with a nice dinner to impress or keep it cheap for a little longer (not that these past dates have been considered "cheap" by any means)?

Bruh 5th date! You gotta go all out and just make it official. Personally I would've sealed the deal by the 3rd date if both parties are truly interested.

Glad to see so many of you are kicking ass in the dating arena!

It's ok I'm bringing the average down. Talked to 5 people the past couple weeks, many exchanges back and forth and feel like conversation is great, then they just stop replying. I don't want to send another one and seem desperate. Also I can see that they read my messages :/

Single GAF representing

It still seems like I don't exist on there. I only get messages from bots on Tagged and nothing everywhere else. I really wonder why the shit even exists. It doesn't work or maybe it's like that thread with okcupid bot, you have to be attractive for the shit.

I'm going to try that out and see if it makes a difference.

Soi-Fong

It's ok I'm bringing the average down. Talked to 5 people the past couple weeks, many exchanges back and forth and feel like conversation is great, then they just stop replying. I don't want to send another one and seem desperate. Also I can see that they read my messages :/

Single GAF representing

Guessing you have A-list then..?

Ok, so the girl I've been talking about plays Minecraft... And I've never played the thing before.. Guess I should start.. lol

davepoobond

It still seems like I don't exist on there. I only get messages from bots on Tagged and nothing everywhere else. I really wonder why the shit even exists. It doesn't work or maybe it's like that thread with okcupid bot, you have to be attractive for the shit.

I'm going to try that out and see if it makes a difference.

i'm guessing you meant Tinder since i don't know what "Tagged" is.

yeah, if you're attractive you'll definitely get the intended use out of Tinder. I've been using it for about 6 months(?) or more now, and only have gotten may be 3 or 4 legit conversations going before they stopped or I realized they were too far from me to bother trying to meet. Getting rejected by all of the girls in SoCal one by one is some sort of anti-fun, if anything.

SRG01

Girl called me out of the blue today, we chatted for a while. It's been about two-three weeks since we've been talking and we've still not been on a date yet :lol And this weekend may fall through because it's on Halloween weekend.

Windam

Scaley member
Why is my OKC profile so bad? Any tips? (I don't have many good photos period, so what's on there is pretty much me at my best :/)

QTR

Salamando

Why is my OKC profile so bad? Any tips? (I don't have many good photos period, so what's on there is pretty much me at my best :/)

Your profile pic is of you with a very attractive lady. Scrap it. No reason to even hint that there may be competition or a reason to get jealous.

"Pissing people off..." is not a phrase you should be using. Positivity rules, always.

Your profile contains a lot of tropes...What I'm thinking about - the future...typical friday night I'm - spending time with family and friends...message me if - you find me interesting and want to get to know me better.

You need to read through your profile, and think of how many other gentleman those statements would apply to. You're selling yourself, so you gotta make you sound different from everyone else. You're going to school. Play that up! Talk about why you're doing what you're doing, and what you plan on doing with it. That can show passion, ambition, drive...all very desirable things.

Got my first okc date in months next week, and speaking to another guy which may or may not lead to a date. And my ex is sort of back on the scene. After a 6 month dry spell things are looking up!

freshair

Let this be a lesson to not let opportunities slide, be communicative, and see things til the very end!

So after going on a few great dates with this girl from OKC, we had a lull in conversation in planning the 3rd date. What was suppose to be a movie night (3 dates in 3 weeks) turned into her getting sick, so that didn't happen.

In the interim I met this other girl on Tinder and really hit it off. So I kind of let communication drop between the other girl (kind of unintentionally, but she didn't try to continue it either).

Now that Tinder girl and I are seemingly over, I texted the OKC girl if we're ever going to re-schedule that movie date. And turns out in between the time we haven't communicated - first it was 4 days w/o communication, then we talked a bit. Then 2 days w/o and a we talked again. Then 5 days w/o and finally talking again last night, it turns out she met someone else irl and wants to pursue and see how it goes.

She said some really nice things about me as we're ending it on good terms and kind of makes me wish I made more of an effort. She thought I was doing the fading and I thought the same of her.

ATF487

Gahh I think I fucked up!

I went on two great dates with this girl from OKC, for the third on Saturday I asked if she wanted to come over and watch a movie, otherwise we could go out. She (surprisingly, to me) took me up on the first option, and came over; it seemed to go well in the beginning, it was something we had both seen before so we were laughing and talking through it, but after awhile I sort of just wanted to actually watch it (also because she put on the special features which I hadn't seen before) so I was a little bit quieter. As soon as the special features bit ended she said she had to be going, and I got the feeling that she wanted to leave pretty much immediately. She had a long day and said she was tired from it when she first came over, but I still got a bad vibe since it seemed abrupt. Up until that point I didn't think our date was as good as the first two, but I still thought she was staying over...

She still let me kiss her goodbye, but the first thing she did in the morning was send me a text thanking me for having her over and saying she couldn't hang out the next day. It could have been a legitimate reason, she sometimes has to babysit during the time we were scheduled to hang out, and that's what she said she had to do, but it seemed like it was also a convenient way to make that the last time we see each other. I just texted back "Yeah that's fine, hope you have a nice Sunday!" or something and we haven't spoken since.

I don't plan on really reaching out again since I feel like the ball is in her court, but I would have loved to know what/if I did wrong. Oh well!

davepoobond

I think you should probably text her again, but that's just me. If she says she's still busy then tell her to let you know when a good time is and then that'll let you know if she is still interested

Windam

Scaley member
"I will always reply to messages!"

*doesn't get response*

Your profile pic is of you with a very attractive lady. Scrap it. No reason to even hint that there may be competition or a reason to get jealous.

"Pissing people off..." is not a phrase you should be using. Positivity rules, always.

Your profile contains a lot of tropes...What I'm thinking about - the future...typical friday night I'm - spending time with family and friends...message me if - you find me interesting and want to get to know me better.

You need to read through your profile, and think of how many other gentleman those statements would apply to. You're selling yourself, so you gotta make you sound different from everyone else. You're going to school. Play that up! Talk about why you're doing what you're doing, and what you plan on doing with it. That can show passion, ambition, drive...all very desirable things.

Bah, I'm not sure if I should be witty/joke around with things like What I Think About or the Typical Friday evening. Way too easy for people to misinterpret sometimes.

Top Bottom