• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Tinder is going to try to do something about the bots:

The company is rolling out a beta feature for Tinder Plus called “Unlimited Likes”. Obviously, unlimited likes is already a free feature on Tinder, but the ‘Bouncer’ (as they call it internally) is only meant to be shown to spammers and bots.

The new feature uses the Tinder Plus paywall to limit “improper use” of Tinder. For the most part, that means that spam bots and other malicious behavior will be detected by algorithms and introduce a paywall to limit the amount of likes a user can give. The paywall lasts for a day and disappears the next morning.

The algorithms used to trigger this paywall looks at a number of data points, including the number of swipes, direction (obviously), velocity, time spent looking at a profile, etc. This means that a user could theoretically swipe right on 500 recommendations in a row after thoroughly reviewing each individual profile and never get the prompt to upgrade to Tinder Plus.

Tinder Plus is expected to roll out in mid-March, giving users the ability to pay a monthly fee to get access to premium features. Those features include an “Undo” button, letting you change your mind on your last left-swipe, and Passport, which gives users the ability to search for matches in any part of the world, even if they’re not actually there.

Is a 21-yr-old girl in the "creepy" range for a 29-yr-old guy? It comes down to birth month for if I'd be in violation of the "half your age plus seven" rule. But still, she liked me first...

And the worst pickup line I've used that worked - "You know what I'd see in the Mirror of Erised? You" It's a Harry Potter reference, and I noticed she had an HP tattoo...anyway, we're getting dinner tomorrow.

Already been answered, but I don't think so. I have a date on Saturday with a 21 year old. I'm 28.

So if I've bern talking to someone on Tinder and the app says the haven't been on for a few days (4) should I wait it out or send them a FB request and hope it doesn't come off as creepy?

Ask for the number right away next time. Don't add them.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Does that mean people who always swipe right and weed people out later will be affected? Sort of sounds like it unless I'm reading it wrong.

Yeah, sounds like it will. Looks like if you don't swipe right at the speed of light or for every 20, you swipe left, or randomly go into a profile once in awhile, you will be safe.

Don't bother. They always want you to see their show before they'll "meet" with you

• First she told me she was a florist for weddings and graduations.
  • I damn near fell over reading that.
  • Then to be "honest" she said she's a cam model.
  • And that her boss put her up to this; creating a pof account etc. "New to this" and all that jazz.
  • I said I'll be honest too and told her she wouldn't be getting any money from me.
  • She was fine with that ?!!!!?
  • Then she said all she wanted is for me to to review her online act and rate her profile.
  • I said I wasn't in a place to "view" such a thing, but she can go ahead and give me her online name and the site.
  • She said when would I be home. LOL.
  • I stopped responding after that.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Welp, just made a POF account in addition to my OKC one. Let's see where this goes. >.>
Farther than me I betcha.
Speaking of that...
i0eqU09UZYatS.jpg
Must be fake.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
depends, is it a local number? spammers usually have some wacky totally-somewhere-else number with the "i just moved here!' excuse

yeah, i'd check that to be sure, but otherwise, those responses seem sort of canned, and not really contextual about you going to bed, or the last message sent.

also, if she doesnt respond in tinder after giving the # then it is a spammer 100%

• First she told me she was a florist for weddings and graduations.
  • I damn near fell over reading that.
  • Then to be "honest" she said she's a cam model.
  • And that her boss put her up to this; creating a pof account etc. "New to this" and all that jazz.
  • I said I'll be honest too and told her she wouldn't be getting any money from me.
  • She was fine with that ?!!!!?
  • Then she said all she wanted is for me to to review her online act and rate her profile.
  • I said I wasn't in a place to "view" such a thing, but she can go ahead and give me her online name and the site.
  • She said when would I be home. LOL.
  • I stopped responding after that.

Called it. They just never learn...

So questions folks, if I'm in my early-mid 20s (25) should I put what schools I went to? Just as an additional potential conversation topic? I see a lot of "I went to school in *city*..." while some people flat out say "*School* alum..."

Windam

Scaley member
PoF: Read a girl's profile and sent what I thought was a (somewhat) funny message based on her interests. Got "OK?" as a response. Goddammit. T____T

Windam

Scaley member
What was the message you sent?

"Wanna watch classic Disney movies while talking about whether or not Batman could beat up God?"

I'm TERRIBLE at this online. The fact that I can think about what I want to say and try to make it unique and something that would get a response fucks me up. I've found it's easier to meet someone in class or wherever. (Though I've done that and it's led to nothing.)

turtle553

"Wanna watch classic Disney movies while talking about whether or not Batman could beat up God?"

I'm TERRIBLE at this online. The fact that I can think about what I want to say and try to make it unique and something that would get a response fucks me up. I've found it's easier to meet someone in class or wherever. (Though I've done that and it's led to nothing.)

Then ask for her number so you can set it up.

So I'm back on a couple sites, well, most of them. And it's really sad how superficial they are. I've lost close to 70 pounds since the last time I've used any of these sites, and the amount of "likes" I've gotten this go around has tripled. Heck I have had women just send me messages! That was unheard of before.

Only been out with one girl, and after hanging out we decided we didn't want to pursue anything, and that was it. It was so ADULT.

It's crazy!

kewlmyc

Is there anyone in here still living with their parents and doing online dating? I'm 23 and due to student loans and helping my parent out with her debt, I probably won't be able to move out on my own until I'm 27. I know having your own place in the past was a huge turnoff, but I don't know if that's changed or not in the past few years.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Well I thought it was funny.

But I'm weird.

Salamando

Think I just unlocked a new online dating achievement - "Make a date with a girl who then flakes and disappears." I get "Meet a girl who looks vastly different than her pictures - for the worse" and "Oh shit! It's a girl you went to school with!" and I think I got them all.

Windam

Scaley member
So? You ask for the number. She either responds or doesn't.

"Here's an easier question. What's your number so we can plan to watch said movies?"

Yeah I don't think there's even a point. She doesn't seem like she cares to engage in conversation. Before I saw your responses asked her what kind of music she's into. She replied with just "Everything".

Well I thought it was funny.

But I'm weird.

You and me both. I should have learned by now that my sense of humour doesn't translate well over text. Really has to be done in person.

DutchNeon

Neo Member
Lol why do I always fall for the "weird" types.

Been chatting, apping and skyping with an insecure, authistic girl since sunday. We've got a date scheduled tomorrow as she is fun to talk with, looks good and we share interests. We've been chatting non stop with each other since sunday.

She is still somewhat unsure about tomorrow. She is scared I'll judge her due her autism and that she is somewhat insecure. She is really open to me about it to me which is cool and I think she feels somewhat comfortable to me. Just that she is scared that I'll reject her.

She also isn't working atm due some illness she has related to Vitamin B12 deficiency. Nonetheless I want to give it a shot. We are both pretty geeky, we like gaming and Star Wars etc.

I'm not really authistic which seems a reason she wants to date me too. She feels she can't start a relationship with someone who has autism too as she'll get annoyed by seeing her own problems again in a person she has a relation with.

Anyway, i'll see how it goes tomorrow. Bit scared she'll respond heavily on me rejecting her if I don't like her if she likes me. Just that I have no experience with girls that are insecure and somewhat autistic.

Is there anyone in here still living with their parents and doing online dating? I'm 23 and due to student loans and helping my parent out with her debt, I probably won't be able to move out on my own until I'm 27. I know having your own place in the past was a huge turnoff, but I don't know if that's changed or not in the past few years.

It's only a big deal if you make it out to be. Living at home doesn't mean you're a lazy dependent slob, just like playing video games doesn't mean you're an overweight nerd.

Think I just unlocked a new online dating achievement - "Make a date with a girl who then flakes and disappears." I get "Meet a girl who looks vastly different than her pictures - for the worse" and "Oh shit! It's a girl you went to school with!" and I think I got them all.

I had a date with a girl that went to same high school I did, except she was a few years behind me. If there was ever a "holy cow I'm old" moment that was it.

Yeah I don't think there's even a point. She doesn't seem like she cares to engage in conversation. Before I saw your responses asked her what kind of music she's into. She replied with just "Everything".

"I've never heard of "Everything". How many albums have they released? Any Grammys?"

Symphonia

Banned
This girl I've been chatting to a fair bit went out tonight. I was asleep (yeah, I know it's only just gone midnight, whatever!) when she tried to call me. She left me a voicemail. In the voicemail, she refers to me by an intimate pet name (as well as my actual name, so she had the right person) then went on to say how she's fancied me for ages, that she loves me, and that I'm the only guy for her. All this is swell, I reckon, as she's pretty fucking awesome.

Only catch? There's another girl I've been talking to. Thing is, I know this girl from college. Well, I say know, I knew of her. I wasn't so confident 10 years ago so merely lusted after her, rather than approach her. Anyway, we randomly discovered each other on POF, realised we knew each other and, well, turns out she liked me back then too. And she likes me now. And she's still hot as fuck. Only thing holding me back is her two kids and baggage in the form of a violent ex.

What would you do, GAF?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Why not both?

You aren't exclusive with either of them, so date them both. And go from there.

This girl I've been chatting to a fair bit went out tonight. I was asleep (yeah, I know it's only just gone midnight, whatever!) when she tried to call me. She left me a voicemail. In the voicemail, she refers to me by an intimate pet name (as well as my actual name, so she had the right person) then went on to say how she's fancied me for ages, that she loves me, and that I'm the only guy for her. All this is swell, I reckon, as she's pretty fucking awesome.

Only catch? There's another girl I've been talking to. Thing is, I know this girl from college. Well, I say know, I knew of her. I wasn't so confident 10 years ago so merely lusted after her, rather than approach her. Anyway, we randomly discovered each other on POF, realised we knew each other and, well, turns out she liked me back then too. And she likes me now. And she's still hot as fuck. Only thing holding me back is her two kids and baggage in the form of a violent ex.

What would you do, GAF?

Have you gone out with the first girl? If not, her voicemail message seems kind of over the top for someone you've only been chatting with.

I'd probably just go out with both for a bit and see how things play out. You aren't currently committed to either of them, so there's nothing really to lose!

Also, I had a question about Coffee Meets Bagel. Apparently, I was connected/matched with a girl yesterday - but I didn't receive a text or number from CMB. Only reason I knew I was matched is because I glanced at my "Bagel History" and it's showing that we were connected. I'm pretty sure someone posted in this topic a while ago with a similar issue and discovered CMB texts were being blocked or something? If you guys know anything, let me know.

So I saw a girl on OKC who is apparentely in the same major as me and in the same school, and I've been doing a lot in clubs for it recently, so without thinking I sent her a message saying "Hey! <school + major>! Are you in <club 1> or <club 2>? I don't think I've met you yet but I haven't been around as much this semester."

Like I said I didn't really think about it before I posted, think that came off as creepy?

br3wnor

I'd assume a lot of 23 year olds are still living with their parents. I'm 28 and when I was 23, majority of my friends lived with their parents for a bit before getting their own places. Hell, I bounced around between my own place, my parents and my grandmother's from 23-27 (went to grad school but still), before finally getting married last year and now having my own spot again.

But 23 seems on the younger side for online dating, so might make a difference in that world. When you're still dealing with college kids or recent college grads and meeting through friends or at bars, I think there's a lot of leeway w/ the living at home stuff.

Well, I believe that I mentioned that, when I was bored the other day, I went through and liked all of the interesting/attractive girls in my area on a dating site.

One replied, and I talked to her for a few minutes, but it didn't go well. I'm not good at socializing, especially with women.

Well, another girl replied today. She's four years younger, but pretty attractive and really nice. The message was short and said that she thought I seemed like a nice person that she would like to get to know, and I replied to it.

We talked quite a bit tonight - for about three hours in total, off and on. I was worried that I maybe made myself sound like a bad person to try dating, though, because I got too comfortable and mentioned that I deal with mental illness (I wanted to be honest), and that I work from home and my sleeping schedule sometimes gets reversed. Also that I live at home and spend a lot of my time looking after and obsessing about the health of a disabled parent.

Her one parent is sick, too, so she said she understands and knows how it feels. However, there was one comment where she made it seem as if she thought I was unable to leave and we'd have to hang out here.

I maybe erred, but asked if I'd said something to scare her away, which she said no to and that I'd done fine - a couple of times. I think even doing that could've scared her away, and hope she wasn't just being nice. She said we'd talk more tomorrow, and I'm going to try to be less weird.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'm always looking for new things to do and new places to go. I like to try restaurants I've never been to and eat the most unusual thing I can find on the menu. I like carnivals and petting zoos and driving faster than the speed limit. I like walking around downtown areas, eating frozen yogurt, and ordering anything but coffee at cafés. I hike, I ride my bike, I go on walks and sometimes I lift weights. I don't have a blowdryer, I don't keep clothes in my closet, and I don't have a smartphone.
Posting this again, because I'd still like opinions. I'm not sure how much the essays help on OKC, but if they do then I'd like to think I've got a fighting chance. This is pretty much the opposite of what I'd normally write about myself, but I am trying a different approach.

Posting this again, because I'd still like opinions. I'm not sure how much the essays help on OKC, but if they do then I'd like to think I've got a fighting chance. This is pretty much the opposite of what I'd normally write about myself, but I am trying a different approach.

So you want them to think you're the opposite of what you're really like? k

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So you want them to think you're the opposite of what you're really like? k

No, it's the opposite in that it's not the parts of my personality and life that I think are important. In the past I'd written about my personality, how I think, and how I try to interact with the world. This is more petty details about me. Philosophical vs. practical.

Symphonia

Banned
Why not both?

You aren't exclusive with either of them, so date them both. And go from there.
Have you gone out with the first girl? If not, her voicemail message seems kind of over the top for someone you've only been chatting with.

I'd probably just go out with both for a bit and see how things play out. You aren't currently committed to either of them, so there's nothing really to lose!
Just spoke to Girl #1, she doesn't remember saying any of it. Which sucks because, well, it honestly made me smile so much. She was drunk, apparently, and doesn't remember saying it. Urgh.

I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I haven't had a single match on Tinder in over a month, yet I don't think I'm a bad looking guy, I'm 6'2 and I work out, this should be successful right?

I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I haven't had a single match on Tinder in over a month, yet I don't think I'm a bad looking guy, I'm 6'2 and I work out, this should be successful right?

1 - Always swipe right
2 - have pictures of you doing things and hanging out with friends if you can (I'd bet bonus points are awarded if your friends are girls)
3 - Think of something funny relevant to an interest for your profile. Something short. For example I like computers and fixing them so for for my profile I've got "I'll fix your CMOS battery, if you know what I'm talking about ;) (No seriously I'll fix your computer 0.0)"

I've gotten to talk to a bunch of people the past couple weeks with my profile set up this way.

Of course it sounds like tinder might start limiting right swipes or some shit, at which point there doesn't seem much reason to keep going with tinder lol.

Windam

Scaley member
Asked PoF girl for her # for shits 'n giggles. Her response? "You seriously don't know how to speak English". The fuck? You're the one with grammar issues in your description, honey.

It was kinda funny, though.

DutchNeon

Neo Member
Well, the date didn't go really well. She is just way too insecure and autistic that she closed up and panicked in the place we took lunch. She felt a bit miserable and got a headache. She didn't eat nor drink anything and hardly talked. She expressed it though, through answering my assumptions and how her body language was.

I kind of expected it so eventually after an hour or so of cheering her up and relating the situation I recommended taking the food she didn't eat to her home. Probably a better and secure place for her. We went to her home and she somewhat opened up but not by much.

I could talk more with her but she didn't initiated anything. I had to start it. Kind of closed up on her sofa with me next to her. Still somewhat scared and insecure. Eventually it got a bit boring so probably for the best of her, I advised to go home so she would feel more safe and would maybe feel a bit more better. She wasn't sure but agreed it would probably help her. Before leaving I didn't gave her a hug as that would maybe mislead her. Just a handshake. Still gave her props for trying which she thanked me for.

I left and eventually she messaged me. She is just a total different person over the internet. She can initiate conversations, have fun etc with strangers but just not in real life. I didn't feel the click due how she is and a bit due her looks (a bit fat in her face).

I didn't mentioned anything about the "date" and we just continued the convo like nothing happened. It's just not a girl that I'm attracted to. I'll probably just continue the convo but slow it down. I'm not going to date her any further or initiate a meetup.

Ahh well, it was an interesting experience. Never dated someone like her before.

Top Bottom