• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Asked PoF girl for her # for shits 'n giggles. Her response? "You seriously don't know how to speak English". The fuck? You're the one with grammar issues in your description, honey.

It was kinda funny, though.

That is obscene. Lol.

One of the girls that was responding to decided to not answer my question about what sort of relationship she's looking for.

Noema

Is that a new thing? I haven't used Tinder in months.

Just on Android so far, AFAIK and only in some countries. They claim it was implemented to stop Bots, which admittedly is pretty rampant. Supposedly it targets heavy right swipers only, but I got it yesterday and I swiped right less than 10 times throughout the day as I'm pretty picky and at least half the profiles in my area are dummy profiles with no profile pic.

So I saw a girl on OKC who is apparentely in the same major as me and in the same school, and I've been doing a lot in clubs for it recently, so without thinking I sent her a message saying "Hey! <school + major>! Are you in <club 1> or <club 2>? I don't think I've met you yet but I haven't been around as much this semester."

Like I said I didn't really think about it before I posted, think that came off as creepy?

Doesn't sound creepy to me. If I saw someone on a dating site that went to the same school as I did, I'd be excited and send them a message about it as well. It's on a public profile after all, and is something you have in common. Not like you snooped the info or anything.

Well, I believe that I mentioned that, when I was bored the other day, I went through and liked all of the interesting/attractive girls in my area on a dating site...

Nothing wrong with being honest. I think it's a bad move to hide mental illness if it gets brought up. I dunno if I'd bring it up so soon in conversation though as I'd get worried about driving someone away, like you said. It also can make it seem like you're insecure about it if you bring it up often. Asking her if you scared her off also says lacking confidence to me. I think you'll know if you had without having to ask. Just my two cents.

It's cool you both have some common ground though and that she wanted to talk some more.

Just spoke to Girl #1, she doesn't remember saying any of it. Which sucks because, well, it honestly made me smile so much. She was drunk, apparently, and doesn't remember saying it. Urgh.

Maybe she does remember and is trying to play it cool ;)

Doesn't sound creepy to me. If I saw someone on a dating site that went to the same school as I did, I'd be excited and send them a message about it as well. It's on a public profile after all, and is something you have in common. Not like you snooped the info or anything.

Yeah I figured, wanted a second opinion though so thanks. She hasn't replied but I'll probably end up meeting her at some point lol. I'll probably either pretend I never messaged her or tease her about it depending on my mood when I do see her.

I actually think I might have been messaging her on a chat service our club uses; she was asking about a volunteering group that I act as a point of contact for. But the avatars on that are low res so its hard to tell for sure if its the same person xD.

Meh, in the meantime I got a date out of Tinder on Saturday, and I may have a date with another person that I met IRL today. So not gonna get hung up on it.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don't know what to think of a back a forth I'm having with one girl. She seems to think that some of the jokes I've made are serious. I don't know if she's not paying attention to what I'm saying and how I'm saying it, or if she just doesn't comprehend.

She's also doing the no question thing, but I'll give her a few more before I pull the plug.

I know online dating is suppose to be a numbers game, but do you guys message every girl you see or are you guys selective?

I don't think I have once received a message from or a response from a single women I've found remotely attractive. I receive tons of messages from girls that just aren't my type. That's not to say I am great looking dude by any means, but I've always aimed for the women "out of my league" haha.

y2dvd

Whoa, a Tinder girl messaged me first, she's cute, and she's not a bot. What's going on?!

Her: I want that hoodie! :p
Me: lol I can see why. We can trade sometime (she has a panda hoodie like me)
Her: haha, I suppose I don't mind sharing
Me: you even wore a Toad costume? Will you take my hand and marriage? Don't tell me the Princess is in another castle
Her: my Toad costume is way epic too haha! She is, do you think you're up for the challenge?
Me: I've got multiple lives and play on the hardest difficulty. I'm up for any challenge. Bring it!
Her: so not only are you cute, but you're a complete badass
Me: if I had a nickel every time I heard that...I's have a nickel
Her: bwuhahahahaha. You make me smile sir

It's still going on. The fact that we are still flirting with nerdy talk is awesome lol. I just tried to follow that simple pickup video advice. Keep it fun and poke a little fun at myself.

Whoa, a Tinder girl messaged me first, she's cute, and she's not a bot. What's going on?!

Me: you even wore a Toad costume? Will you take my hand and marriage? Don't tell me the Princess is in another castle
Her: my Toad costume is way epic too haha! She is, do you think you're up for the challenge?
Me: I've got multiple lives and play on the hardest difficulty. I'm up for any challenge. Bring it!

It's still going on. The fact that we are still flirting with nerdy talk is awesome lol. I just tried to follow that simple pickup video advice. Keep it fun and poke a little fun at myself.

Man, I wish I had that kind of personality.

Good job so far. And congrats.

She never messaged me today. I just sent one, though, to see if she'd like to go out sometime for coffee or food and a movie. I think I'd win her over in person.

You, sir, have won.

Symphonia

Banned
You know that awkward moment when you're messaging someone on OKC, which turns to sexting and photo swapping, only for you both to realise you've fucked before? Yep.

Oops.

BIGWORM

Hell no. We had sex and got into an argument about what we were wanting and expecting. This was two years ago. I guess we just forgot each other.

Double dipping out the fucking door, it is. It's funny how that played out completely backwards. Let's fuck, THEN talking about wants and expectations...

Symphonia

Banned
Double dipping out the fucking door, it is. It's funny how that played out completely backwards. Let's fuck, THEN talking about wants and expectations...
She brought it up, not me. I wanted a fuck (as stated on my OKC profile) and she wanted more than 'just sex' which makes no sense whatsoever. But, yeah, ain't going there again.

She responded this morning, and said that going out sometime sounds good, but to wait and see how this next week goes.

I don't know how to feel.

Symphonia

Banned
She responded this morning, and said that going out sometime sounds good, but to wait and see how this next week goes.

I don't know how to feel.
Be cautiously optimistic, but don't set your expectations too high incase she backs down. But still, she's definitely interested in meeting up with you, so that's something. Keep us updated.

y2dvd

Well, I believe that I mentioned that, when I was bored the other day, I went through and liked all of the interesting/attractive girls in my area on a dating site.

One replied, and I talked to her for a few minutes, but it didn't go well. I'm not good at socializing, especially with women.

Well, another girl replied today. She's four years younger, but pretty attractive and really nice. The message was short and said that she thought I seemed like a nice person that she would like to get to know, and I replied to it.

We talked quite a bit tonight - for about three hours in total, off and on. I was worried that I maybe made myself sound like a bad person to try dating, though, because I got too comfortable and mentioned that I deal with mental illness (I wanted to be honest), and that I work from home and my sleeping schedule sometimes gets reversed. Also that I live at home and spend a lot of my time looking after and obsessing about the health of a disabled parent.

Her one parent is sick, too, so she said she understands and knows how it feels. However, there was one comment where she made it seem as if she thought I was unable to leave and we'd have to hang out here.

I maybe erred, but asked if I'd said something to scare her away, which she said no to and that I'd done fine - a couple of times. I think even doing that could've scared her away, and hope she wasn't just being nice. She said we'd talk more tomorrow, and I'm going to try to be less weird.

When you say talk, you mean yall talk over the phone or in person? If over the phone before even going on a date, don't do that again. Save a little excitement for the date itself. Once I secure the date, if they want to learn anything personal before the actual date, I just tell them they'll have to wait until we meet because that's the whole point of a first date, it's to get to know each other more intimately! It leaves some mystery by making them wait for answers.

I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I haven't had a single match on Tinder in over a month, yet I don't think I'm a bad looking guy, I'm 6'2 and I work out, this should be successful right?
These girls are going through so many guys. Just think of it as you're in a long queue and they haven't gotten to you yet!

Llyranor

Any takers for checking out a profile via PM? I think I may have gone a bit too eccentric, especially the first paragraph, but I'm not sure I want to tone down, either.

Be cautiously optimistic, but don't set your expectations too high incase she backs down. But still, she's definitely interested in meeting up with you, so that's something. Keep us updated.

Will do. Thanks.

We've sent a few basic messages today, but nothing more than the "How are you?" variety.

When you say talk, you mean yall talk over the phone or in person? If over the phone before even going on a date, don't do that again. Save a little excitement for the date itself. Once I secure the date, if they want to learn anything personal before the actual date, I just tell them they'll have to wait until we meet because that's the whole point of a first date, it's to get to know each other more intimately! It leaves some mystery by making them wait for answers.

It's online. I'm not good on the phone at all.

Symphonia

Banned
It's obvious, isn't it? You're a serial crack addict killer! D:
Well, apparently that works for Girl #1 as she rung last night to say she loves me. And you know what? I'm okay with that. I'm going with Girl #1 as, honestly, she makes me smile. So, yeah, we'll see how this goes.

Windam

Scaley member
Well, apparently that works for Girl #1 as she rung last night to say she loves me. And you know what? I'm okay with that. I'm going with Girl #1 as, honestly, she makes me smile. So, yeah, we'll see how this goes.

Go get 'em! Just don't use your cyanide strike on her.

Good or bad pic?

EDIT: Is there anyway to hide users you have messaged on POF? I don't see a hide button or the ability to leave them off search results.

At first I thought you had it buttoned all the way up but then I realized that's just how it looks with the shirt. So maybe try a different shirt or mess around with the collar or unbutton an extra button so it doesn't look like that.

Windam

Scaley member
At first I thought you had it buttoned all the way up but then I realized that's just how it looks with the shirt. So maybe try a different shirt or mess around with the collar or unbutton an extra button so it doesn't look like that.

Unless I have to wear a tie, I always leave the first two buttons unbuttoned.

Symphonia

Banned
Go get 'em! Just don't use your cyanide strike on her.
We've been texting back and forth all day. Fuck all those who say limit the number of texts you send someone. If you like them, go for it. Which is what I'm doing right now. This girl honestly makes me smile so much. She's beautiful, smart, funny, and we have a load in common. The fact she says she loves me doesn't bother me whatsoever. Her and I are giving this 100% already, and I love it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Man, I can't even get a full positive response on a picture I like. The truth hurts.

stn

Man, I can't even get a full positive response on a picture I like. The truth hurts.
You know what I would try? You should grow your facial hair a bit, the grey area makes me think you could have some good scruff. Also, I would get a haircut. I just think short hair looks best on dudes, which is ironic because I have exactly the same haircut as you at this very moment.

We've continued talking, and some of her messages include smiley faces (not the annoying emoticons). So, I guess it's going okay.

I sent her my cell number since texting would be easier, and received a text within about 20 minutes.

Been messaging another girl, but I don't think there's anything there.

Tinder got updated in Germany.
you want 16&#8364;(!) per month (!!!!) for unlimited likes? 16 fucking euros? per. month?
I only swiped 10 people today. how greedy can you get?

is it that expensive everywhere or does europe get a special treatment like always?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Lol, they are out of their minds. What is that, like $15-20 in dollars?

Edit- Looks like it is $17 a month in the US. Can't confirm since I don't have the app.

Wish I new about this thread when I spend my 2 weeks on OK Cupid. I suck at online dating, it's all so new to me. It feels like the women on those sights just lay back and get off on all the messages they get. Like, I question their motives. They don't seem to be too interested in meeting up or even chatting.

I'll have to give it another shot in the near future, I suppose. With some Gaf help. :]

Lol, they are out of their minds. What is that, like $15-20 in dollars?

Edit- Looks like it is $17 a month in the US. Can't confirm since I don't have the app.

yeah, about 18 dollars.
App is pretty useless now for everyone who doesn't look 8+/10
I look above average and still need A LOT of swipes to get a match and even more to get someone to respond who isn't a bot.
I was even willing to pay a reasonable amount of money, but 16€ is just not acceptable.

Hope a competitor gets a chance to rise now.

yeah, about 18 dollars.
App is pretty useless now for everyone who doesn't look 8+/10
I look above average and still need A LOT of swipes to get a match and even more to get someone to respond who isn't a bot.
I was even willing to pay a reasonable amount of money, but 16€ is just not acceptable.

Hope a competitor gets a chance to rise now.

Its funny because it really would not be hard to create an app with basically the same features.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
You know what I would try? You should grow your facial hair a bit, the grey area makes me think you could have some good scruff. Also, I would get a haircut. I just think short hair looks best on dudes, which is ironic because I have exactly the same haircut as you at this very moment.
My friend says I look shitty with facial hair. I like my stubble look, but I suppose I could grow it out more.
I'd also suggest playing around with lighting - http://blog.colsongriffith.com/2014...ng-from-the-douchiest-thing-i-have-ever-done/

With full front light and a photo looking up at you, your chin blends in with your neck at a quick glance.
Hehe thanks.
It's just a shirt, man, which can be easily changed. If you let yourself get worked up over something as trivial as this, you'll really struggle to make your mark on the online dating scene.
I'm not worked up over it. You're reading too deeply into my posts. I just like the shirt. :(

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Amazingly, on the last message I would have sent her if she didn't ask any questions back, she actually asked me a question. I'm a bit surprised, really. It still isn't anything in depth though, just a "how about you?" asking me a question I'd already asked her. She's also finally let on that she understands that my jokes were jokes. I'm not sure if she just needed to see that I'd really looked at her profile, or what happened. It seems like it's way too tough to get a girl to reciprocate interest. Even knowing that I have to do all the work to that end, it just never feels like my effort is worth the energy it takes.

I'm not worked up over it. You're reading too deeply into my posts. I just like the shirt. :(

The problem isn't your shirt, it's how you're wearing it. Unbuttoning one or two buttons will make you look more relaxed. As it is now the only thing that is unbuttoned is the collar, which might look ok on shirts that don't have a stiff collar, but it doesn't work on that one.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ask for the number within 10-15 messages, man. Always. Don't waste time.
When I just tried this the woman was confused. I thought I was being fairly smooth about it. More practice is needed.
The problem isn't your shirt, it's how you're wearing it. Unbuttoning one or two buttons will make you look more relaxed. As it is now the only thing that is unbuttoned is the collar, which might look ok on shirts that don't have a stiff collar, but it doesn't work on that one.
Alright, next time I wear it I'll mess with the collar and work on the lighting.

Jhoan

Suddenly met up with a girl at a museum but nothing will ever become of it since she lives in Massachusetts and she's only here for the weekend. Her friend's boyfriend canceled plans so she bailed as a back up plan and left with her leaving me to my own devices.

I ain't even mad since I just wanted to boost my confidence and practice talking to girls. Ended up hugging her. She sure was cute though. The biggest silver lining is that I'm meeting up with a girl who's actually from the city on Monday night and we've had a lot good chemistry going back and forth via text.

Salamando

Well, today was crazy. Within 12 hours of getting an initial message, I'm getting coffee with a girl from OKC. And because I went out for coffee, I didn't go to the mall, which just happened to have a shooting.

Top Bottom