• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

I'm not very photogenic, and have hardly had my picture taken in years. It's not good, because my only picture on my profile is a black and white one I took when I got my laptop back in 2006.

My hair has thinned since then, but I look pretty similar.

Lack of good pictures is really going to hinder you. I was always wary of guys who just had one pic, because you never know if they really look like that or if it's just a one off good one. I'm not very photogenic either so I feel your pain but it will help if you get a few more pics. Not actually seen your profile as I no longer have one.

Lack of good pictures is really going to hinder you. I was always wary of guys who just had one pic, because you never know if they really look like that or if it's just a one off good one. I'm not very photogenic either so I feel your pain but it will help if you get a few more pics. Not actually seen your profile as I no longer have one.

Agreed

It's something I want to work on. I actually asked my friend to take a picture of me when I was at his place, holding his dog, but he wouldn't stop playing League of Legends and do it. If I could've done it myself, I would've.

Looking back on social media, there aren't really any other pictures I like.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
l actually asked my friend to take a picture of me when I was at his place, holding his dog, but he wouldn't stop playing League of Legends and do it. If I could've done it myself, I would've.

I'm imagining in my head your friend ignoring you as you are holding a dog trying to pose or something while it is trying to wriggle away.

I'm imagining in my head your friend ignoring you as you are holding a dog trying to pose or something while it is trying to wriggle away.

Haha

No, the dog actually fell asleep in my arms while laying on its back with its belly showing. I was petting her.

When I got there, that dog was barking at me like crazy, but I won both of them over quickly. I'd met them before, once or twice, though. He just moved home not long ago.

It would've made for a great picture.

Where do you guys get most of your pictures? Social media? I'm always in pictures but I rarely track someone down to get a copy so I hardly have any to post.

Majine

Banned
I'm in that part of the conversation where I'm running out of things to talk to her about, fuck. I feel like it's going to slip now.

I feel like a really good date with you would be taking turns playing Sonic R.

edit: Just looking through your recent posts, you hate the big bang theory and are disappointed in america. Combined with your looks, if I were a girl, we'd already be together.

Oh yeah, playing Strip-Sonic R while we mock people who like TBBT sounds like a date. The minor girl/boy thingie can be handled with alcohol. Lots. Of. Alcohol.

On the other hand I made some mild progress over the WE. While Okcupid is still useless for me (did not get a single answer since I joined that site and average about 4 views a week),
I managed to get some Numbers from Tinder. Trying to set up a date for next week.

Edit: aaaand I fucked it up. oh well, still one girl left that showed general interest for a date.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just to confirm:

On tinder, if you turn off Discoverability, it doesn't delete the people who you've swiped right on that haven't matched with you (yet), right?

They'll still see me and get to decide to swipe right or left? Or am I hidden from them too?

I turn off discovery every time I'm not on...

pretty sure it turns off everyone

Mr. Sam

I'm in that part of the conversation where I'm running out of things to talk to her about, fuck. I feel like it's going to slip now.

At that point, I just go for broke with "Hey, wanna go on a date?"

The key's not to dwell in the online realm too long, right?

pretty sure it turns off everyone

That can't be right.

Oh my god, what if I lost so many potential matches because of this? :lol

I'm more inclined to believe that I just get swiped left by 95% of people, but if it's the former, then I am very, very dumb

I turn off discovery because I've worked with highschoolers, and I dont want to be found by them, as I know some will lie about their age and get on the app. I doubt it would happen, but I want to be careful anyway.

I also swipe right on everybody, so I'm really being dicey on this app.

I wonder if my pics are just questionable, but I dont know.

Kaname

Wow two girls actually replied within the same week on OKC.
What is this sorcery :O Never had someone reply to me before lol

Also, I dont know which picture I should main. I get that having a clear, unfiltered face, preferably smiling is the way to go, but I get a little nervous doing that in case someone recognizes me.

Which is stupid of me, as I should just go all the way.

My main picture now isn't bad I think, but just black and white and dark. You can see my face perfectly fine, but I should probably pick something else.

If I delete Tinder and restart it, this will also reset all my matches right? I feel like I need to do a do over.

turtle553

That can't be right.

Oh my god, what if I lost so many potential matches because of this? :lol

I'm more inclined to believe that I just get swiped left by 95% of people, but if it's the former, then I am very, very dumb

I turn off discovery because I've worked with highschoolers, and I dont want to be found by them, as I know some will lie about their age and get on the app. I doubt it would happen, but I want to be careful anyway.

I also swipe right on everybody, so I'm really being dicey on this app.

I wonder if my pics are just questionable, but I dont know.

Pretty sure if you turn off discovery, nobody except existing matches will see you.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
weird, i message a girl and she visits my profile like 3 or 4 times after but doesnt message me. guess she really wants to see all of my questions answered before deciding to reply.

Palpable

Talked to a girl on tinder last night. Before she went to bed, she gave me her number. We text back & forth for a little bit this afternoon, but she takes awhile to reply.

-_-

I wouldn't say just for DTFs, but it is what the majority of people are there for.

Oh, okay.

I first heard about it during the Olympics, when the commentators were talking about how the athletes were using it for hook-ups in the village. And everything I'd heard about it seemed sex related.

As in, "Swipe right if you'd like to fuck, left if not."

I'm ugly, so I fear the amount of left swipes I'll get.

Palpable

Oh, okay.

I first heard about it during the Olympics, when the commentators were talking about how the athletes were using it for hook-ups in the village. And everything I'd heard about it seemed sex related.

As in, "Swipe right if you'd like to fuck, left if not."

I'm ugly, so I fear the amount of left swipes I'll get.

99% of the women in my area are not DTF. Tinder isn't really a hookup app like most claim it is. At least not here.

After a short term dating mishap within my outer social circle, I've decided to cave in and make an ok cupid profile to hopefully meet new guys in the area I've realized how incredibly hard it is to come off as unique and charming through my profile. Getting creepy texts all day, I wonder where the normal guys are? Maybe I'm too picky, as I only look towards guys that don't reply often, as I assume the ones that do aren't picky and super thirsty?

I recently caved in reached out to my first guy instead of waiting for these messages, exchanged few texts back and forth. Seems to not be the best at small talk (he even mentioned it in his profile), but we have a lot in common; graphic designer (I'm an artist), he loves horror movies, and an avid cider/hard liquor drinker. We have a date on Tuesday, just drinks and pizza.

I guess I'm just surprised by the lack of receiving any interesting messages. I'm naturally a pretty aggressive person, will go after whatever I want and have no problem asking men out, but I tend to pick less dominant/ aggressive// social guys and am looking to try something new. Is it unrealistic to expect to receive normal and not completely inappropriate or creepy messages?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
After a short term dating mishap within my outer social circle, I've decided to cave in and make an ok cupid profile to hopefully meet new guys in the area I've realized how incredibly hard it is to come off as unique and charming through my profile. Getting creepy texts all day, I wonder where the normal guys are? Maybe I'm too picky, as I only look towards guys that don't reply often, as I assume the ones that do aren't picky and super thirsty?

I recently caved in reached out to my first guy instead of waiting for these messages, exchanged few texts back and forth. Seems to not be the best at small talk (he even mentioned it in his profile), but we have a lot in common; graphic designer (I'm an artist), he loves horror movies, and an avid cider/hard liquor drinker. We have a date on Tuesday, just drinks and pizza.

I guess I'm just surprised by the lack of receiving any interesting messages. I'm naturally a pretty aggressive person, will go after whatever I want and have no problem asking men out, but I tend to pick less dominant/ aggressive// social guys and am looking to try something new. Is it unrealistic to expect to receive normal and not completely inappropriate or creepy messages?

I don't think it is unrealistic, but the truth of the matter is, women on dating sites/apps will receive a crap ton of messages on any given day. The majority of which will be stuff like "I have a huge dick" or "Wanna fuck?"

I don't think using the reply rate would be a good measurement. For guys on dating sites, it is a numbers game to try and land a date or even a message from a woman. So while it might seem like the guy is thirsty, it is something guys have to do.

You could post your profile here if you want (hide it behind email tags if you don't want lurkers to see). Lots of gaffers willing to help.

Good luck!

I don't think it is unrealistic, but the truth of the matter is, women on dating sites/apps will receive a crap ton of messages on any given day. The majority of which will be stuff like "I have a huge dick" or "Wanna fuck?"

I don't think using the reply rate would be a good measurement. For guys on dating sites, it is a numbers game to try and land a date or even a message from a woman. So while it might seem like the guy is thirsty, it is something guys have to do.

You could post your profile here if you want (hide it behind email tags if you don't want lurkers to see). Lots of gaffers willing to help.

Good luck!

Good idea! I know my pictures aren't the most flattering, I tend to shy away from pictures in general. Anyways here's my profile as an email link: http://www.okcupid.com/profile/orpimentpigment

Irnbru

Good idea! I know my pictures aren't the most flattering, I tend to shy away from pictures in general. Anyways here's my profile as an email link: http://www.okcupid.com/profile/orpimentpigment

There's needs to be more girls like you in Seattle :(
Anywho, if ya all could tell me what to improve on mine it would be greatly appreciated http://www.okcupid.com/profile/vicandsuch
I don't really get anywhere near as much action as I used to in LA, so I'm just wondering where I may be going wrong here.

turtle553

But what if you turn it back on? Can those previous people you've swiped right on see me on their phone? Or am I erased from them?

I'm not sure what happens once you re-enable., but if you only enable discovery, swipe, and then disable discovery your potential matches would only have that amount where it is enabled to match.

Salamando

Online Dating just sucks for all parties involved. Where you get inundated with crappy messages, most guys consider themselves lucky if they get a reply. It's turned it into a numbers game with most guys - the goal being to send as many messages to as many people as possible.

And yeah, judging people by their reply rate isn't the best idea. I've been on OKC for 6 months or so, and I can count on two hands the number of girls that message me first.

What's your standard for interesting messages? Looking at your profile, I'd send something like "I'm sensing horror movies are important to you. Just a hunch :) Which subgenre do you enjoy he most? Slasher, supernatural, thriller, psychological?"

scotcheggz

Being single is getting weary again, so getting back on this OkCupid horse. If anyone has any helpful advice for profiles, I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm shit at this online dating and seem to have much more sucess in real life meetings, which doesn't seem right to me.

I think I've only ever had two dates in the previous two times of having a live profile and thats gotta span a couple of years I think... Anyway, quote to see the link if you wouldn't mind helping me figure this jazz out!

Online Dating just sucks for all parties involved. Where you get inundated with crappy messages, most guys consider themselves lucky if they get a reply. It's turned it into a numbers game with most guys - the goal being to send as many messages to as many people as possible.

And yeah, judging people by their reply rate isn't the best idea. I've been on OKC for 6 months or so, and I can count on two hands the number of girls that message me first.

What's your standard for interesting messages? Looking at your profile, I'd send something like "I'm sensing horror movies are important to you. Just a hunch :) Which subgenre do you enjoy he most? Slasher, supernatural, thriller, psychological?"

So should I be worried that I had to message this guy first? I know that's probably a ridiculous question. He had "I'm terrible at small talk" and a "rarely replies" account.

The most interesting I've gotten so far has been someone asking me about Joe Hill and stephen king novels. The creepiest has been this guy who has texted me a paragraph a day, giving me his number, asking me to bare his children. I've received one message from him a day this week.

Salamando

So should I be worried that I had to message this guy first? I know that's probably a ridiculous question. He had "I'm terrible at small talk" and a "rarely replies" account.

The most interesting I've gotten so far has been someone asking me about Joe Hill and stephen king novels. The creepiest has been this guy who has texted me a paragraph a day, giving me his number, asking me to bare his children. I've received one message from him a day this week.

Nope! Absolutely nothing wrong with messaging him first.

"Rarely replies" is based off the number of first messages a user replies to. If he got one and never replied, he'd be at 0%, and thus red. It's a pretty worthless metric to measure any profile by.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Dunno if you remember lil old Kev but I think you're a hilarious and cool person, and you're definitely good looking enough to get hits from people who aren't creeps. Just be patient and don't do stuff with someone if you think they're weird.

The girl who I'm talking to now messaged me first and she's cute and never showed up in any of my browsing or swiping, so I don't think that's strange at all.

stn

Nah, don't be worried about it. Maybe he didn't see you viewing his profile and thus didn't get the idea to message you first? Things like that can happen. He'll reply if he likes you. And yes, there are tons of weirdos online. I saw a lady-friend's account once and she had a ton of messages from freaks with all kinds of requests. Made me feel bad to represent men. Just block and move on. :)

Dunno if you remember lil old Kev but I think you're a hilarious and cool person, and you're definitely good looking enough to get hits from people who aren't creeps. Just be patient and don't do stuff with someone if you think they're weird.

The girl who I'm talking to now messaged me first and she's cute and never showed up in any of my browsing or swiping, so I don't think that's strange at all.

Aw thanks. I remember you on Tinychat. I gave you flak for being young or something. Sorry I tend to tease people.

I actually tend to take charge a lot and that either a) intimidates guys or b) gets me guys that aren't really that into me or are the wrong guys for me in the long run.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yo! Haha you're up in Kirkland! Sup WA homie

You the guy in Kent scoping me out? The girl I'm talking with lives in Federal Way so I might find myself near you sometime soon. Always happy to hang with gaffers whenever.

Aw thanks. I remember you on Tinychat. I gave you flak for being young or something. Sorry I tend to tease people. I tend to take charge more and that either a) intimidates guys or b) gets me guys that aren't really that into me or are the wrong guys for me in the long run.

No worries, that was almost 4 years ago, and I was very immature. I do remember you being pretty aggressive but I always thought it was more amusing than intimidating.

Irnbru

You the guy in Kent scoping me out? The girl I'm talking with lives in Federal Way so I might find myself near you sometime soon. Always happy to hang with gaffers whenever.

Please please tell me she's really in Milton? I need a good laugh. And yup, I am indeed the dude in Kent. Let me know dude, always happy to go out for a drink as well!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Please please tell me she's really in Milton? I need a good laugh. And yup, I am indeed the dude in Kent. Let me know dude, always happy to go out for a drink as well!

I'm... not from around here so I don't get the joke. :( Also I don't drink, but I'm fine talking to you while you drink. PM me

jwk94

Some of these girls need to edit their body style or just leave it out entirely. I'm tired of seeing "curvy" when they clearly aren't.

Some of these girls need to edit their body style or just leave it out entirely. I'm tired of seeing "curvy" when they clearly aren't.

Haha.

Really, maybe it's mean of me to say, but I get pretty pissed falling for super close up selfies and angles caught just right to make oneself look a lot thinner than they are.

Some people are really good at giving a really deceptive idea of their bodies.

scotcheggz

I feel like last time I used OkCupid travelling was the fashionable buzzword, this time it's going to the gym.

When is taking things as easy as possible going to be fashionable dammit!

Top Bottom