• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Oh man this team so far. This rotation.

6faaa08700cb0741e8ba3c5fed121449.png

Although I will say why the hell does my manager want to start Henderson Alvarez again? WTF this guy is straight trash. Kendry Flores has been very good in his 3 starts and he wants to go back to Henderson....what.

Wow, Adam Conley hasn't allowed a run in 27.3 innings. Swept the shit out of the Dodgers in a 4 game series!!!

Had a 16 inning game with the Twins during that sim....which followed an 11 inning game against the Twins.

3 games for the price of 2.

I'll throw out the fact that Sano is available again in case anyone missed it who may be interested. Great power, serviceable 3B, and cheap. Team control for 2.5M per season over the next 4 years. (Including this year.) He's still only 26.

Looking for prospects.

3 games for the price of 2.

I'll throw out the fact that Sano is available again in case anyone missed it who may be interested. Great power, serviceable 3B, and cheap. Team control for 2.5M per season over the next 4 years. (Including this year.) He's still only 26.

Looking for prospects.

I'm tempted as I know Kyle Seager won't ever hit again now that he's over 30.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Current in-game date: May 10, 2020
Notes: Amateur Draft Pool Revealed. Looks A LOT better than the past couple seasons. At least if I'm only glancing at potential.
Twins Phil Hughes throws a no-hitter against the White Sox.

I feel like I'm about to be disappointed by this sim. Cause it just can't be much better than the last.

A totally mediocre 3-3 :(

Kinda odd, I've got a few prospects that were highly rated, underachieved in the minors. I start them in the majors because I'm basically cornered into it, and suddenly they're catching fire

Well, offense has always been the Sisyphean struggle for the Mariners since the GOBL inception, hasn't it.

Pretty much yeah. All my over 30 guys turn into corpses and almost no one on my team hits consistently. Some of that has been on the guys I've grabbed, a lot of light hitting OFers who are amazing at defense, but guys I've had who crushed it in the minors haven't hit once they hit the big leagues.

What's the deal with the aging model in game? Average starters turn 30 and become worthless. I'm guessing superstars aren't as susceptible, but the two highest contracts I inherited are dudes over 30 who are like 21 overall rating.

brentech

What's the deal with the aging model in game? Average starters turn 30 and become worthless. I'm guessing superstars aren't as susceptible, but the two highest contracts I inherited are dudes over 30 who are like 21 overall rating.

I personally think you can't read that much into the overall rating. I have used plenty of guys under a 30 rating over the years that have played great for me.

I've talked with other people who think it is pretty unforgiving. You can tune the aging curve (athough its just a floating point from 0 to 1).

On a positive note I was looking at my catchers 1.5 combined WAR so far and one has a wRC+ of 178 and the other has a wRC+ of 128.

It's mostly been all my non John Aiello infielders who have killed me (Ketel Marte, Chris Taylor, Brad Miller, Kyle Seager, Eric Hosmer).

I wish I knew what was up with Ketel Marte. 2 seasons ago .770 OPS, almost a 6 win player. Next season loses .110 points of OPS 3.8 win player. This season he's down .220 points of OPS and only a non negative player because his defense is so good. If he could get back to even a 90 OPS+ he'd be insanely valuable.

I personally think you can't read that much into the overall rating. I have used plenty of guys under a 30 rating over the years that have played great for me.

Yeah, I agree. I've had several good (albeit not spectacular) seasons from both Mike Minor and Noah Syndergaard, and they've both been consistently rated 20-22 by both my scout and the OSA.

After playing for a while, you start to see that some guys just don't "pop" to the scouts/scouting system, but they can be very serviceable major league players. Usually, I find that if guys have adequate ability with high work ethic and/or intelligence it can certainly make a difference. Although, those are certainly not the only factors that seem to come into play.

On the other hand, there are guys that are loved by scouts, but just can't put everything together to be productive big-leaguers.

brentech

Current in-game date: May 17, 2020
Notes: After shooting out of a canon to start the season, the Indians are slowly falling back into line with just a 1 1/2 game lead on the division after starting 10-0. On the bright side, I just got my CFer back from a 2 week injury.

IT'S A FRANKLIN BARRETO FIRE SALE!

Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!

The Oakland Athletics are looking to deal SS Franklin Barreto! He's young! He's cheap! He has big numbers for OVR and POT!

We're looking to deal! Have a Starting Pitcher that's still good but showing their age? Does the contract you currently have make you fell bloated and sad?

WELL ACT NOW!

The A's are EATING YOUR BAD CONTRACT in order to go after the title NOW!

BINGO BANGO BONGO these Franklin Barretos won't last... PM TODAY!

This is the worst season ever. Kyle Survance is now hurt two weeks. Kolby Allard got suspended for 6 games for fighting with Adam Eaton. And we only won one game.

Wow Carlos Quentin hasn't retired. I might have to sign him just to be a leader on my team

I'm starting to have too many second basemen. Tristan Gray and Tyler Malone are both knocking on the door of being major league ready and I still have Marte and I just promoted Mikey White who has been hitting reasonably well.

If someone maybe wants to swap an elite third base prospect who is close to ML ready (will also take outfielders or maybe a first baseman) let me know!

IT'S A FRANKLIN BARRETO FIRE SALE!

Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!

The Oakland Athletics are looking to deal SS Franklin Barreto! He's young! He's cheap! He has big numbers for OVR and POT!

We're looking to deal! Have a Starting Pitcher that's still good but showing their age? Does the contract you currently have make you fell bloated and sad?

WELL ACT NOW!

The A's are EATING YOUR BAD CONTRACT in order to go after the title NOW!

BINGO BANGO BONGO these Franklin Barretos won't last... PM TODAY!

I'm thinking over your PM, not ignoring I promise.

I'm starting to have too many second basemen. Tristan Gray and Tyler Malone are both knocking on the door of being major league ready and I still have Marte and I just promoted Mikey White who has been hitting reasonably well.

If someone maybe wants to swap an elite third base prospect who is close to ML ready (will also take outfielders or maybe a first baseman) let me know!

I have way too many third basemen but none at the elite level. Still if you want someone cheap, decent, and under long term control let me know. Labosky is probably the best I have right now.

This Barreto file sale getting hotter! GET IN ON THIS ACTION! Young, cheap SS that are this good come along once a decade! I MUST BE CRAZY!

brentech

Current in-game date: May 24, 2020
Notes: Braves lost Mallex Smith for 5 months due to a concussion. So sorry Crimson.
Miami now leads in 4 of 5 defensive categories.

Late sim. My desktop has been torn down. Having some issues in graphical games, GPU removed and was running a RAM test that lasted 8 hours. =\

Trainer's focus is prevention, has an excellent reputation, is rated excellent or better in preventing every type of injury.... No wonder the Mariners didn't keep his sorry ass

Mallex was playing horrible anyway he was rated high though

Lawrie is on pace for an 8.2 war Freddie been hot this season too but now my pitching sucks

Trainer's focus is prevention, has an excellent reputation, is rated excellent or better in preventing every type of injury.... No wonder the Mariners didn't keep his sorry ass

Mallex was playing horrible anyway he was rated high though

Lawrie is on pace for an 8.2 war Freddie been hot this season too but now my pitching sucks

Yeah I had a lot of injuries the past few years, some of it was older guys but some of it was my younger pitchers, I felt it was time to move on.

In other news I faired my "fair" rated hitting coach and hired a "good" one and my team is 6-4 in its last 10 games (I also demoted or waived a bunch of dudes as well, and of course DJ Peterson is crushing it in St Louis).

Yeah I had a lot of injuries the past few years, some of it was older guys but some of it was my younger pitchers, I felt it was time to move on.

In other news I faired my "fair" rated hitting coach and hired a "good" one and my team is 6-4 in its last 10 games (I also demoted or waived a bunch of dudes as well, and of course DJ Peterson is crushing it in St Louis).

Pretty much all of my young pitchers are having tommy John survey this year! ):

Grabbed Peterson because Abreu has been a complete bust, wish I let the other team in the bidding war grab him.

brentech

Current in-game date: May 31, 2020
Notes: Tampa Bay Rays lost Eddie Rosario for the season; torn ankle ligaments. Kansas City's Bud Norris is lost for the season due to a ruptured triceps tendon.
Miguel Cabrera hits 3000!

brentech

Platooning my second basemen really worked out for me. I had tried one guy and then the other as full time starters and neither was above .200. Both good defensively.

Now they're both over .250. I was so close to demoting one of them and bringing up a guy that has been killing it in AAA.

My team was complaining about no veteran leader so I signed somebody over 32 with very high leader ability. Now everybody is saying they hate each other so I looked at everybody's profile and almost everybody has "gets along with everybody" in their profile except Christian Betancourt. Says he has a me first attitude. I wonder if that's the problem?

My team was complaining about no veteran leader so I signed somebody over 32 with very high leader ability. Now everybody is saying they hate each other so I looked at everybody's profile and almost everybody has "gets along with everybody" in their profile except Christian Betancourt. Says he has a me first attitude. I wonder if that's the problem?

The reason I may never do well in this game is I don't care about any of that stuff. I'm not going to sign a Johnny Gomes type of dude to sit around the dugout and crack jokes. I'm fielding my best guys I've got with an eye towards replacing 75% of my line up in the next two seasons.

My former starting catcher (who is trash and I replaced with a 78 overall dude who is crushing the ball) is complaining about play time. I don't give a crap about your emotional well being, Mr. Professional Baseball Player who I'm paying millions of dollars. Whine all you want. Nobody is going to trade for your overpaid ass and the second your contract runs out your career is over.

To be fair, I'm not looking at drafting or signing dudes who have bad reputations or are listed as slow learners going forward. But I'm also not going to coddle some diva on my roster.

The Latino John Rocker

I've previously had unhappy players but somehow everyone this season is happy, they were that way before we played. Beats me.

Damn the morale on my team on every play is "great" except for Derek Dietrich who is "very good" and I don't blame him because he went from being the 2017 NLDS MVP to being a second string 2B and now 3rd string

Rommel

Excited for this draft. Been awhile since we've had one where I can restock. Still feeling the pain of losing my #2 overall pick to a CEI after one start a few years ago.

I love it when I fire a coach to replace with another one who is going to probably be regarded as "one of the best hitting coaches in the game soon." Then after I hire him, he's "somehow managed to stay in the game for 18 years." SMH. His rating also dropped from good to average immediately. Sometimes this game makes absolutely zero sense.

Top Bottom