• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

brentech

I had some touch choices to make in the pitching department. A couple guys out of option years that I would have liked to start in AA and call up later, but they will get their shot at the majors earlier than expected.

PLEASE GO THROUGH YOUR 25 MAN ACTIVE ROSTER AND MAJE SURE EACH OF THOSE PLAYERS IS ON YOUR 40 MAN ROSTER!!!!!!
(If the player has a # to the right of their name or doesn't have a * to the right, they need to be added to the 40 man - this saves me a lot of time).

Opening day line-up is set. Had to make a lot of tough choices on hitters, and I don't like my balance. I have 3 full on platoons going, and probably 1 or 2 too many OFers. My line-ups look great, but I would have liked to have a guy that could play SS as a reserve.

Can you run RF Daniel Carbonell through the trade finder, whenever you start doing those again?

He's available to any human GM if they're interested. Good power bat, but I'd like to clear some of my OF log jam.

Could move CF Josh Hart if anyone wants to take a flyer on him.

brentech

I won't be able to get to a computer with OOTP installed until tomorrow. How bad is it going to screw me to not set my 25 man roster myself?
Because I can only access gaf via my phone today (some web error effecting certain people), I'll probably not sim until tomorrow evening.

Bog

Junior Ace
I've been on autopilot all spring training outside of extending Rizzo and signing some relievers. Hopefully Girardi didn't fuck anything up.

Is there a place where I can take over lineup/rotation decisions from him? They're greyed out.

brentech

I'll be simming the league later tonight. I'm caught up painting the garage. Remember to cut to 25 and make sure those 25 are on the 40 man roster, please!

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Current in-game date: Apr. 12, 2020
Notes: Opening Day and series have been run!
A Pirates player, Reese McGuire, was injured in a mugging on the subway. Will miss 6 days with a thumb contusion.

Should be back to a normal sim time tomorrow.

A Pirates player, Reese McGuire, was injured in a mugging on the subway. Will miss 6 days with a thumb contusion.

Won't be able to update until after tomorrow's sim. Hope that doesn't screw anything up.

Hey Brent would you mind doing it a bit later in the evening? Just so myself and maybe others can take a look after work. Once a sim is past 11 pm est, I pretty much can't look until the next day after work.

brentech

Hey Brent would you mind doing it a bit later in the evening? Just so myself and maybe others can take a look after work. Once a sim is past 11 pm est, I pretty much can't look until the next day after work.
I understand, but at some point I do have to get back to schedule. So someone is going to lose out for a day

How late would you need it to be?

Agreed. I had to be in bed before the update last night, and won't have a clue what went down until about 6PM mountain time this evening. I should be good to go on subsequent updates, but this one dropped a bit late for me.

Granted, I'm going to end up in the cellar either way, so it's probably not super imperative I see this one update cycle.

brentech

6:45ish, if it's an issue don't worry about it.
I'll try to sim between 7-8 eastern. Back on schedule tomorrow.

Not sure how the Indians offense came together like they did in the first five games. This is the hitting I expected last season.
I didn't realize I had only set my lineup against RHP w/DH as well, so real lucky that things worked out. 1B already has 3 HRs. Keep it up young buck.

I'll try to sim between 7-8 eastern. Back on schedule tomorrow.

Not sure how the Indians offense came together like they did in the first five games. This is the hitting I expected last season.
I didn't realize I had only set my lineup against RHP w/DH as well, so real lucky that things worked out. 1B already has 3 HRs. Keep it up young buck.

Right, right...my question is: do the Royals have a win?

I noticed that offensive explosion. Out of that gate like lightning, but are the Tribe for real this season, or just hot early?

brentech

Right, right...my question is: do the Royals have a win?

Royals (3-1), no big injuries, LF Samir Duenez to miss a week for a bruised elbow caused by a collision at base.
I noticed that offensive explosion. Out of that gate like lightning, but are the Tribe for real this season, or just hot early?

I'm going to assume that can't last, but I'm hoping the reality is somewhere in between....with pitching keeping me in the running.

From the OOTP Facebook page:

The critics have spoken! Out of the Park Baseball 17 is the highest-rated video game across ALL platforms in 2016!

That's right - this year’s title is currently the highest-rated video game across ALL platforms in 2016, with a 93 overall rating on Metacritic! What's more, Out of the Park Baseball 17 is also the 122nd highest-rated video game of all-time. ALL TIME!

It's over! I always take small data sets and extrapolate them out to infinity. For example, I had a 7% return on a stock yesterday and immediately retired. I'm going to be rich!

The math checks out.

Jake Lamb is still unhappy. I don't know what I can do to make him happy. He's just a real grumpy gus. The only guy with the unhappy face in my lineup. He's starting, has a nice contract, just an unhappy guy. C'mon Jake Lamb, turn that frown upside down!

brentech

Current in-game date: Apr. 19, 2020
Notes:

Indians keep rolling, 10-0. Maybe the offense will stick this year. My AA squad that won their league the last two seasons is finally paying off!
One of my pitchers injured himself while jogging, so there's that. Super short term, so whatever.

Mariners manager Theo Epstein was fined by the league for an angry rant during press conference.

Toronto loses Brett Anderson for the season (stretched elbow ligament).

Fairly certain I know the answer but just in case : can we view the next day's box scores by clicking a "next" button anywhere or do we have to go back to the calendar and to the next?

Not the biggest deal but it makes things slightly easier.

Brent, would you mind plopping Kennys Vargas (MIN) into the trade-o-matic for me please.

Also, if any human manager is looking for a switch-hitting 1B with some pop, I'm open to offers. He's on the final year of his deal. I'm flexible in terms of what I'm looking for, so if you're interested, feel free to offer up whatever you want, and I'll take a look.

brentech

Brent, would you mind plopping Kennys Vargas (MIN) into the trade-o-matic for me please.

Also, if any human manager is looking for a switch-hitting 1B with some pop, I'm open to offers. He's on the final year of his deal. I'm flexible in terms of what I'm looking for, so if you're interested, feel free to offer up whatever you want, and I'll take a look.

5Uisatm.png

brentech

Current in-game date: Apr. 26, 2020
Notes: Major injury to Atlanta SP Cameron Varga, radial nerve compression.
The Mets handed the Indians their first loss of the season, winning game two of the double -header 7-5, in the 10th inning. The Mariners and Tigers have also notched wins over the Indians.
Miami leads in 3 defensive categories: Runs Against, Defensive Efficiency, Starter ERA.

God damn it, I missed a couple sims and didn't realize I still had 7 day line-ups enabled. I've been going with a 3 man rotation like it's the fucking world series.

Welp, I fixed it at least. If I don't turn it around in May, I'm firing the manager and bringing up John Farrell.

Miguel Sano is available. He's a young, good fielding 3B with great power, an outstanding leader AND he's under team control for PEANUTS- 4 more years (counting this season) @ 2.5M per. Absolute highway robbery. Looking for high level prospects (flexible in terms of position) and/or big-league ready starting pitching. It's a circus of values!

brentech

Another starter out for a month. Dropping like flies in AZ!

For me it's my bullpen. I have two of my better guys out for 5+ weeks. Just lost my CFer for 3 weeks I think.
Keeping Brantley in the DH spot hoping he won't kill himself while running bases.

2B is really my only position where I'm really unsure of this season. I want to see more production on offense. Wolters is rated well enough, but just isn't doing it yet this season. So, I'm going to platoon it with Jose Ramirez and see what happens over the next couple sims. I did grab someone's 2B off waivers and will elevate him from AAA if things don't turn around. (he's hitting well over there)

Admittedly, I wasn't nearly this involved with my team the last two seasons. Early injuries to top pitchers or Lindor just made me want to trade and develop. Right now the new blood that has made it to the bigs looks to be working out for me.

Varga was just getting hot too ): reputation just dropped from fair to poor this sim. It was at excellent during like the 2nd and 3rd seasons. This sim was terrible went 1-5

Kyle Survance is looking good though and Willie Abreu will be back this week.

Question on swapping positions. I have Mondesi as my starting SS, and he's a stud defensively and solid as a leadoff hitter. I have a slightly younger stud SS in Aracena, currently getting it done in AAA but arguably ready for the big leagues. Aracena is even better defensively, with equal speed. Still developing offensively.

If my current 3B is hot garbage, how does the game handle me swapping, say, Mondesi to third? He's listed as only 30 rating or so there, but those are two very young prospects that I really want to field together in the majors long term.

Question on swapping positions. I have Mondesi as my starting SS, and he's a stud defensively and solid as a leadoff hitter. I have a slightly younger stud SS in Aracena, currently getting it done in AAA but arguably ready for the big leagues. Aracena is even better defensively, with equal speed. Still developing offensively.

If my current 3B is hot garbage, how does the game handle me swapping, say, Mondesi to third? He's listed as only 30 rating or so there, but those are two very young prospects that I really want to field together in the majors long term.

If you play him at 3B in the minors, his rating there should improve. Go to player strategy and lock his position to 3B. I've never tried teaching a position at the major league level, but it probably works the same. It might take a while though, so if you want the bat now you might want to try it in the bigs and see how it goes.

If you play him at 3B in the minors, his rating there should improve. Go to player strategy and lock his position to 3B. I've never tried teaching a position at the major league level, but it probably works the same. It might take a while though, so if you want the bat now you might want to try it in the bigs and see how it goes.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see how he develops.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It should be noted that position changes are best done in Spring Training, as long as the player gets regular playing time in ST games the rating bump at the new position is a lot faster during that timespan.

It should be noted that position changes are best done in Spring Training, as long as the player gets regular playing time in ST games the rating bump at the new position is a lot faster during that timespan.

Maybe I should wait then. The complication is I actually want to move the established guy to third and make the AAA dude my SS of the future. I might hold off for a bit, since there's still room for my younger guy to improve offensively.

brentech

Current in-game date: May 3, 2020
Notes: Seattle RP Jack Flaherty to miss 6 weeks. Pittsburgh LF Harold Ramirez to miss the rest of the year due to a broken kneecap. The Braves lost Jose Mujica for the year to a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
Stephen Strasburg pitched a no-hitter against the Phillies.
Fancisco Lindor earned the AL Batter of the Month Award. This season, he already has 3 more HRs, and only 7 less RBIs than he had all of the 2019 season.
Manuel Peguero of the Dodgers won the NL Batter of the Month at age 24.
Cody Ponce AL Pitcher of the Month. Michael Pineda the NL Pitcher of the Month.

CL Cody Allen killing me. Up 7-5 in the bottom of the 9th against the Phillies. He comes in with 2 outs left....blows the save giving up 5 runs.
rage.gif

Had a 16 inning game with the Twins during that sim....which followed an 11 inning game against the Twins.

Wow 3rd SP I've lost this season and I had another one hurt last season that won't be back for another 2 months. My new trainer is trash. And he's supposed to be excellent at preventing arm injuries!

Surprised Ponce got pitcher of the month, considering he has good numbers but is absent from the leaderboards. Coasting on reputation already!

Damn everybody is getting hurt on my team wasn't just Mujica this sim. Time to fire my trainer

On the bright side Willie Abreu is playing great in his return so far

Oh wow the offense is actually starting to be decent. 6th in avg right now highest I've seen in probably ever. If my pitchers could've stayed healthy this season wouldn't have been so bad

We're having clubhouse problems. Idk what to do! Like 5 emails from players complaining.

One of my injuries was my rookie cutting his hand cleaning up glass at home. He's out for 2 weeks...

Kyle Survance rookie of the month!

Top Bottom