• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Sports are often random and arbitrary. I just chalk it up to that.

I get that, but this is the third time that this sort of thing has happened with a coach I've hired. I understand the consensus view blurb reflecting degradation over time, as things change, but for it to swing significantly and immediately upon getting hired seems ridiculous to me.

brentech

Sim: 5 days
Current in-game date: June 5, 2020
Notes: THE DRAFT IS TOMORROW. Be sure to have your draft list complete! (by complete, I generally mean your top 5 picks or however crazy you want to be about it).

Kansas City's Carlos Santana won the Batter of the Month award in the AL, Corey Seager of the LA Dodgerse for the NL.
Trevor Bauer of the Houston Astros won Pitcher of the Month in the AL while his NL counterpart, Kyle Hendricks, of the Chicago Cubs took it home.

CJ Cron of the Angels hit 3 HRs in a losing effort to the Tigers.

Just an FYI. For Trout I'm looking for at least 1 MLB starter and 3-5 quality minor leaguers. I've already had multiple people contact me and while I am looking through rosters but it might save everyone time if they have some sort of package lined up, at least to start the talks.

I'm pretty sure the only way I could take on Trout is if the Angels took on Kyle Seager.

I'm sure I have the prospects to make it work otherwise.

Went 5-0 this sim!

Holy shit look at Joe Bomber Adams HS pitching stats and then look at his pitching ratings. Dude looks like he can be a superstar SP too.

Been hovering around .500 all season. Granted, I've had my entire starting outfield injured all at the same time for a stretch, just like last year smh, but the Twins are just treading water at the moment. Hopefully it's soon time to put our heads down and swim. My rookie catcher, Logan Ice, has been a nice surprise so far.

Well, been busy the past few weeks so I've let some things slip by and haven't spent as much time on my line-up as I would want. Fired my manager to promote Farrel hoping for a spark and didn't realize I have no line-up or rotation control now :(. I'll see how he does, but I guess if I'm not happy with him I'll put someone else in. Not the way the AL champs wanted to start the season.

brentech

Sim: 2-3 days
Current in-game date: June 7, 2020 (might be the 8th, not sure, game is currently archiving and then will upload shortly)
Notes: Draft is complete. Attempt to sign any players that didn't immediately do so.

Rommel

Interesting... my draft list of 180 players made it 20 rounds before it ran out. I also missed out on every pitcher on my list so first P wasn't until round 20... that's not going to help the depth lol

brentech

Interesting... my draft list of 180 players made it 20 rounds before it ran out. I also missed out on every pitcher on my list so first P wasn't until round 20... that's not going to help the depth lol

I made of list of 8 players. You're insane.

Mother Fucker. Francisco Lindor injured, hit by pitch from Kansas City. Diagnosis pending still. =\

I made of list of 8 players. You're insane.

Mother Fucker. Francisco Lindor injured, hit by pitch from Kansas City. Diagnosis pending still. =

I was the 6th pick so I made a list of 6. The last few I was had around 20-30.

I really hope I didn't get the guy wanting 7.5mil

Detroit.

My scout doesn't have him all that high, OSA certainly does though.

Nice I had him on my list but I couldn't afford him

Won't be home till late, who ended up getting Joe "Bomber" Adams? That guy looks like the next Babe Ruth

My scout thinks he's average, at best.

I'll log in after dinner and see what I scored beyond the first pick. I tried to stick with guys both my scout and OSA held in high regard, also looking for high work ethic and intelligence. That included passing on two 80 potential dudes who sounded lazy as fuck. There will be no Sandovals on the Royals. We'll see how that pans out.

You guys with the 100+ player lists... WTF? Where are you going to fit those thirty rounds of players? Starting a new affiliated minor league team? I think I listed my top six or seven and crossed my fingers.

Mother Fucker. Francisco Lindor injured, hit by pitch from Kansas City. Diagnosis pending still. =

I'll give my staff a stern talking to
...followed by a bonus. Whatever it takes!

Nice I got SS Jimmy O'Brien. hope it doesn't take him too many seasons since he's already 23. Most of my other picks in the early rounds look like bums though except Danny Rice.

Won more games! 7-3 in my last 10!

3rd in NL in batting avg! Still can't score runs

brentech

2 of my top bullpen pitchers came off the DL this sim after missing the whole season up to this point. I'm letting them rehab in the minors, but I have to decide how to bring them back to the bigs.
Giving real though to sending my long time closer, Cody Allen, down the waiver pipes. He's having his worst season ever with a 5.28 ERA.

Outside of that. It's time for the great minor league system purge.

Apparently setting my draft board to not have impossible or fragile players somehow resulted in me drafting complete dog shit. Easily my worst draft yet.

My scout thinks every guy I drafted is a 20. Well, you filled out the draft board, dipshit!

Outside of that. It's time for the great minor league system purge.

I'm about to go through and do a massive pruning myself. What's that? You're 25 and in AA? GTFO!

Apparently setting my draft board to not have impossible or fragile players somehow resulted in me drafting complete dog shit. Easily my worst draft yet.

My scout thinks every guy I drafted is a 20. Well, you filled out the draft board, dipshit!

I came out very well in the draft (happens when you have 2 picks in the top 10), but I'm a bit confused by some of the stuff that went down, too. I only listed 6-7 guys on my board, yet somehow ended up picking up 10. The last 3 guys we picked are in the "Impossible" category, which means that even if I wanted to keep them it's not happening. I'm talking mid-20s rated potential guys that want $2.2 million just to consider us. Fuck off.

Is there a minimum number of guys a team takes? Or does the game just sort of auto-fill in for the first several rounds?

I have a feeling I had a bad draft and sim. Going to find out in about a minute.

Wow Carter Capps. u fucking trash bro

Rommel

Only had to spend just under 3 mil to meet my first 5 rounds of demand. Scout had them all in the high 60's. Wish they weren't all out fielders though lol

I came out very well in the draft (happens when you have 2 picks in the top 10), but I'm a bit confused by some of the stuff that went down, too. I only listed 6-7 guys on my board, yet somehow ended up picking up 10. The last 3 guys we picked are in the "Impossible" category, which means that even if I wanted to keep them it's not happening. I'm talking mid-20s rated potential guys that want $2.2 million just to consider us. Fuck off.

Is there a minimum number of guys a team takes? Or does the game just sort of auto-fill in for the first several rounds?

I don't get how drafting works either. In four or five drafts every guy I've drafted after the sixth round has been impossible to sign. I'm not sure about the logic on drafting.

If my picks sign (and they should, because I offered them over their demand across the board), I picked up:

- Four pitchers all rated over 70 potential, including an 80
- Two outfielders rated in the low 70s potential
- Two other random 60ish potential guys, can't remember exactly

Cost me right at $10M to sign everyone, but I have $30M just sitting around doing nothing right now. My depth, potentially on the pitching front, is really awful. I'm hoping this helps set the team up for success 4-5 years down the road. I focused on mainly dudes with high work ethic and intelligence, thinking that will result in faster progress. It's risky since only two of the picks were college players, so it's tough to predict what an 18 year old is going to accomplish.

At least 2-3 of those guys will end up being huge busts, but if I end up with even one ace out of the draft I'll be super happy.

I don't get how drafting works either. In four or five drafts every guy I've drafted after the sixth round has been impossible to sign. I'm not sure about the logic on drafting.
Keep in mind, all guys after round 5 get automatically signed unless they're impossible or cost a lot of money.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Current in-game date: June 14, 2020
Notes: Continue to try to sign your draftees. Vote on All-Stars if you'd like.

The pitch that hit Francisco Lindor fractured his foot - to miss 5 weeks.

Hey guys, really happy to welcome Garrett Richards to the A's! Can't wait to check the update!

Let's see here...

You have just been informed by your team trainer that Garrett Richards has been diagnosed with a strained rib cage muscle. He is out for about 3 weeks.

1-5 this sim with an email from Lawrie saying he hates the team, his teammates, and the owner and that the team is straight trash so he wants to be traded to a real team.

Back to normal!

Spent over an hour culling all my minor league teams and slotting my draft guys. Pretty rewarding to dump a lot of 20 potential guys and replace them with decent prospects.

Now let the randomness ensue.

I actually had to offer a ton of dudes contracts because I cut too many people before the draft.

Also I think I need to package some combination of LF, 2B and SP prospects from my high minors for a major league caliber CFer. So if you need some prospects and have a CFer to spare, get at me!

Guys I'm potentially willing to move:

http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/players/player_22367.html
http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/players/player_24601.html
http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/players/player_20473.html
http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/players/player_843.html
http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/players/player_33579.html
http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/players/player_37321.html

etc

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Current in-game date: June 21, 2020
Notes: 2 more sims before your rookies most likely need to be signed. We do have International Free Agents coming up before the due date though.

Indians getting destroyed now that we're down the starting SS and CFer.

Nice we beat the Mets this sim.... With our fists! Man these kids on my team really like fighting. One email says the suspension is two games but other one says 6.

Top Bottom