• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Rommel

9489d1463678662-you-ll-have-do-without-your-forum-jacka-while-dw9phx.gif

Twins Win!

Feels good man! :)

Congratz, I got faked out by Brent :(

Grats hu-man.

I was amused when I was looking to restaff my minors. There are two copies of the same guy, Cole Armstrong, in OOTP. Slightly different from one another, but undoubtedly the same guy. So I hired one to manage my App league team, and the other to manage my GCL team. Hopefully they never touch and rip apart the fabric of spacetime.

Thanks for the congratulations guys. That sure is one beautiful league home page! (website) I never noticed how good that page looked before...for some reason.

Congrats Twins. I suppose taking Buxton and Sano off your hands helped get you to this point.

Actually, that's to help me get to future titles. ;) (hopefully) Although, in the case of Buxton, I guess the argument could be made that it was addition by subtraction, if for injury issues alone. Despite some good years for Minnesota, he's no leader and could not care less about winning. I don't know why, since it's not like you can really get to know these virtual players, but having him on my team just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I just always had a feeling that I'd have a better clubhouse without him, I guess.

But Sano has been plenty productive for you. And, maybe Buxton will be the reverse of most guys and he'll stay healthy and everything will fully click once he hits 30- if you even hold onto him. It's not like he's been bad though. His OPS+ is over 120 in his 2 full seasons for you. Just those little injuries.

But I'm very fond of the guys I got in return for the most part. Mitchell was reasonably productive in his first full season. I expect Gettys and Romero to be effective as well, maybe this year. And Ramirez put up nearly a 7 win season in AAA, so I may have to make room for him as well.

I think overall that trade will have been beneficial for us both, in the end. On my end, it's still mostly waiting on potential though.

Edit: I just checked Nick Burdi's full post-season #'s. (He missed the first series with injury) He had 3 saves in 8.2 scoreless innings. 14.5/1.0 K/BB, and a 0.12 WHIP. I sure am glad his injury only cost him the first round. Dang.

Austin Rubick was also dominant and is probably my future #1, despite how good Thorpe has been overall.

brentech

Code:
GOBL League Champions
2015: Atlanta Braves
2016: LA Dodgers (CPU)
2017: Arizona Diamondbacks
2018: St. Louis Cardinals
2019: Pittsburgh Pirates (CPU)
2020: LA Dodgers
2021: Pittsburgh Pirates (CPU)
2022: Minnesota Twins

Thanks for the congratulations guys. That sure is one beautiful league home page! (website) I never noticed how good that page looked before...for some reason.

Actually, that's to help me get to future titles. ;) (hopefully) Although, in the case of Buxton, I guess the argument could be made that it was addition by subtraction, if for injury issues alone. Despite some good years for Minnesota, he's no leader and could not care less about winning. I don't know why, since it's not like you can really get to know these virtual players, but having him on my team just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I just always had a feeling that I'd have a better clubhouse without him, I guess.

But Sano has been plenty productive for you. And, maybe Buxton will be the reverse of most guys and he'll stay healthy and everything will fully click once he hits 30- if you even hold onto him. It's not like he's been bad though. His OPS+ is over 120 in his 2 full seasons for you. Just those little injuries.

But I'm very fond of the guys I got in return for the most part. Mitchell was reasonably productive in his first full season. I expect Gettys and Romero to be effective as well, maybe this year. And Ramirez put up nearly a 7 win season in AAA, so I may have to make room for him as well.

I think overall that trade will have been beneficial for us both, in the end. On my end, it's still mostly waiting on potential though.

Edit: I just checked Nick Burdi's full post-season #'s. (He missed the first series with injury) He had 3 saves in 8.2 scoreless innings. 14.5/1.0 K/BB, and a 0.12 WHIP. I sure am glad his injury only cost him the first round. Dang.

Austin Rubick was also dominant and is probably my future #1, despite how good Thorpe has been overall.

Mitchell was the guy I most wanted to keep, and of course the guys I wanted to trade who were also left fielders haven't panned out.

I'm in a weird spot with Buxton. I don't have any fallbacks internally other than Trout so I might have to pick up his option and see what I can get to develop as a successor.

I am curious about Buxton's future and will continue to follow his career arc. He may still have some good ball in him. Time will tell. He'll probably want to get paid like an elite talent though.

Rommel

C Kevin Plawecki available. Still a solid starter but I want to give the young guns some more playing time.

If anyone takes Ozuna, I will give any 2 prospects of your choice not named Warner.

When exactly was I supposed to make option decisions, it seems like yesterday but I don't recall having the option and now I can't pick up anyone's option.

When exactly was I supposed to make option decisions, it seems like yesterday but I don't recall having the option and now I can't pick up anyone's option.

I was able to do mine just now. Just go the the messages and hit respond.

I've got a lot of cash to spend this offseason. Should be able to upgrade a few spots on my roster. In the market for a big time 1B if anyone has one for trade.

I love how one of my new goals is to sign a CY winner. So... stay away from Kluber and/or Betances everyone, because they're the only two eligible players!

brentech

well hrm, I'm not sure if I can go back or not, I might be able to do it from my surface, because I just happened to download and make the gobl.obleague.com update from there.
If that's the case, that will be the update for the day.

Loading the game up, we're currently on "offseason starts", I'm honestly not sure that going back would change anything. It is also possible that I just have to manually add them for a year at option money.
Anyone with this problem, please let me know who a couple players it has happened to. I personally don't have any options to make.

My owner... goals to make the playoffs... oh bt-dubs, I'm cutting your budget by 15%. Bastard

My budget increased a lot (my attendance was outstanding), but again my owner has a goal for me to cut payroll. I'm going to ignore it again. There's no way I can compete for a title while trying to save this jerk some money. Even after signing Manny I've got 30+ million to play with. Hopefully this FA class turns out decent.

I think maybe when I respond and pick up the option then the message expires and I'm just misunderstanding the UI? No biggie, I'll live with whatever happens.

My owner... goals to make the playoffs... oh bt-dubs, I'm cutting your budget by 15%. Bastard

My owner wants me to re-sign DeJong but won't give me the money to do so.

Rommel

My budget increased a lot (my attendance was outstanding), but again my owner has a goal for me to cut payroll. I'm going to ignore it again. There's no way I can compete for a title while trying to save this jerk some money. Even after signing Manny I've got 30+ million to play with. Hopefully this FA class turns out decent.

Should trade for Ozuna and build up your farm ;). Heck I'll throw in Cruz and a couple prospects with Ozuna for a bag of balls ;)

Should trade for Ozuna and build up your farm ;). Heck I'll throw in Cruz and a couple prospects with Ozuna for a bag of balls ;)

I remember that feeling of being desperate to dump salary for some breathing room when I ultimately unloaded Ynoa just to get rid of Ervin Santana and his salary.

It feels so claustrophobic to have little to no budget room because of garbage contracts. You just have no room to maneuver to make your team better.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Nov 8, 2022
Notes: Arbitration offers.

Notable extensions
Code:
WAS - SP Andy Pagnozzi - $115M / 6 years
MIA - SP J. Ovalle - $127M / 7 years
MIA - RF M. Williams - $112M / 6 years
BOS - 3B R. Devers - $21M / 1 year
CIN - C D. Skelton - $137M / 6 years
MIL - SP A. Bergner - $134M / 7 years
PHI - SS D. Bedgood - $172 / 7 years
PHI - 3B C. Burgess - $124M / 6 years
Fucking fuck my pitching coach retired. Holy shit my entire MLB staff retired

Yeah, my pitching coach retired as well. Kind of scared of regression because my young pitchers did so well last year. Trying to sign a experienced guy that is still good with youngsters, because that's my staff.

Okay cool, I did manage to pick up Buxton's option.

I had two coaches whose contracts expired that I swear I had offered extensions to. Sucks because no one who was available was as highly rated but I did manage to replace them. Hope my offense doesn't suffer under Chili Davis.

Date: Nov 8, 2022
Notes: Arbitration offers.

Notable extensions
Code:
WAS - SP Andy Pagnozzi - $115M / 6 years
MIA - SP J. Ovalle - $127M / 7 years
MIA - RF M. Williams - $112M / 6 years
BOS - 3B R. Devers - $21M / 1 year
CIN - C D. Skelton - $137M / 6 years
MIL - SP A. Bergner - $134M / 7 years
PHI - SS D. Bedgood - $172 / 7 years
PHI - 3B C. Burgess - $124M / 6 years

Yeah, my pitching coach retired as well. Kind of scared of regression because my young pitchers did so well last year. Trying to sign a experienced guy that is still good with youngsters, because that's my staff.

My pitching coach retired as well. What a weird coincidence.

That Bedgood deal seems very reasonable.

Rommel

New scout... new team... so he pretty much turned my entire farm system on it's head... ughh... was about 80% negative moves... that stings

New scout... new team... so he pretty much turned my entire farm system on it's head... ughh... was about 80% negative moves... that stings

Is your new scout mostly similar to your old one? (Favoring ability vs tools and similarly rated in their evaluation strengths?)

I'm just curious because I saw only a relatively small change in my system's evaluation under my new scout that was so similar to my old one. There were changes, of course, but nothing dramatic, like you're describing.

It would definitely be frustrating to have such a big change. Granted they're still the same players, but it definitely makes things a bit crazy in terms of how you view the guys in your system through that new lens.

Granted they're still the same players, but it definitely makes things a bit crazy in terms of how you view the guys in your system through that new lens.

Gotta imagine it works a lot like this in mlb.

For example, I'm very interested in how the Dbacks view their system and what moves they make with the new regime there.

Given how seemingly terribly they've evaluated the last few years, gotta imagine more changes are coming.

And with more change and uncertainty the longer it takes to get back on top. Look at the Pads for another example. New evaluators seemingly every year or two, tough to get consistency in the system that way.

Gotta imagine it works a lot like this in mlb.

For example, I'm very interested in how the Dbacks view their system and what moves they make with the new regime there.

Given how seemingly terribly they've evaluated the last few years, gotta imagine more changes are coming.

And with more change and uncertainty the longer it takes to get back on top. Look at the Pads for another example. New evaluators seemingly every year or two, tough to get consistency in the system that way.

Yeah, consistency is such a big deal in sports. It always frustrates me (in any sport) when new guys are brought in (in whatever capacity), but given the impatience in the modern sports world (within many/most organizations with that unrealistic "win-now" mentality), those guys (coaches/GMs/scouts/whatever) are not allowed a long enough leash to ever see the full fruits of their labors. The work is partially done, and may yield good results given adequate time, but the crops are cut down mid-growth and a new planting cycle is begun. It's madness. Building anything worthwhile takes a concerted and focused effort over time, but that concept seems lost on so many.

Gotta imagine it's bittersweet for an ex-GM to see "his guys" that were drafted and developed come up to a team after he himself has been ousted. If those guys do well, then the new management gets the credit. If they do poorly, it's blamed on the previous regime.

Rommel

Is your new scout mostly similar to your old one? (Favoring ability vs tools and similarly rated in their evaluation strengths?)

He had the same focus in favoring ability. I had one player go from an 80 potential straight down to a 20. It was pretty epic

On the trade front below are my available players.

Kolten Wong - 2B
Jurickson Profar - SS
Mikie Mahtook - RF
Marcell Ozuna - CF
Kevin Plawecki - C
Evan Marshall - RP

We choked in game 163, but at least Dominic DiCaprio won AL MVP.

I would have loved to see JJ win it, but DiCaprio was certainly deserving, and I can't hate the pick. Great player.

Edit: At least my Twins fielded the AL reliever, rookie (top 2 in this category), and manager of the year. So I can't complain too much.

I still can't believe Luis Solis was just sitting there to be had as a FA a couple years ago. Maybe my scout was the only one who liked him at the time. I think he's going to ask for a ridiculous payday soon, if I try to extend him though. I may arb him for a couple years and see if he keeps his head on straight.

I still can't believe Luis Solis was just sitting there to be had as a FA a couple years ago. Maybe my scout was the only one who liked him at the time.

Same thing here. AL Cy Young winner Marcos DiPlan was released by Milwaukee and was just sitting out there as a minor league free agent for a while before my team picked him up because I needed some minor league pitching depth.

Just one of those weird cases where one scout sees value where others don't.

brentech

Julian McDonald, my All-Star pitcher, was drafted and released by the Cardinals after a couple injuries in the minor leagues. I signed him to a minor league contract and let him develop for a couple more years before plugging him in as a reliever last year. New manager uses him as a starting pitcher, and look what it did for him.

This talk about discarded/unwanted gems makes me think of my daily routine with my franchise. I always like to make sure I check the waiver wire and scour the FA list every sim just in case. But sometimes, I get off my routine and forget, and afterwards I'm always wringing my hands, wondering what potential treasure I may have missed out on. You never know.

brentech

Date: Nov 23, 2022
Notes: Arbitration is complete. Get ready for FA spending.

Wasn't sure if it would work out, but I actually saved 2.5M on a single players Arbitration hearing. I figured either way he was worth having, but that his tenure and current stats didn't line up with what he was asking for.

Julian McDonald, my All-Star pitcher, was drafted and released by the Cardinals after a couple injuries in the minor leagues. I signed him to a minor league contract and let him develop for a couple more years before plugging him in as a reliever last year. New manager uses him as a starting pitcher, and look what it did for him.

3 time AL Cy Young runner up Chase DeJong was a Rule 5 pick.

Top Bottom