• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

brentech

Sorry, I mucked up and forgot to upload, since I have to do all the roster stuff manually, day by day.

You can see on the export reader that it wasn't uploaded today: League File Date: Nov 01 2016 4:31 pm

It's processing right now. Give it 5-10 min

Choomp

Banned
Is my roster export working? I can't seem to download the new file correctly and I think it's cause the folder I need to rename is too long on Mac. Is there an alternate title I should give it?

Is my roster export working? I can't seem to download the new file correctly and I think it's cause the folder I need to rename is too long on Mac. Is there an alternate title I should give it?

There shouldn't be a folder name length issue, I never had one on Mac.

Won my first two games! My boy Jimmy O'Brien on pace for just 243 home runs 486 rbi's and a 42.7 WAR. Not bad

Still can't believe how well Jeremy "Black Magic" Burton had been playing in the majors with only 14 career minor league games

brentech

Thanks.

Sorry about your Tribe. What a heart-breaker of a game. I thought they were going to pull it out when Davis homered late to tie. Great series from the neutral point of view though.
I've gone to a couple games a year since moving to region 7 years ago. It wasn't until OOTP that I truly started to know the team and try to watch a lot more games on TV. It was weird seeing Coco in an Indians uniform again, he did a lot more than I expected. Napoli was a real bummer the whole series. He had to be a active part of the offense for them to win.
It was a great game 7 with a bummer of an ending. I was saying in the Madden league thread - I think the rain delay kind of saved me from the super low feeling. For some reason the delay just dampened both excitement and the possible sting of a loss.
I was just ready to go to bed.

You're right about Napoli, he just disappeared, really.

And Naquin was such a disaster in game 6, although it may not have mattered in the end.

I thought when it was obvious Chapman was gassed last night because Maddon overused him that it really favored the Indians, but they had a couple undisciplined at bats that could have turned things, but it's hard to stay poised against 100.

Both pens were really a let-down last night.

It's tough to get there and get so close, only to come up a fraction away, but them's the breaks.

brentech

Sim: 7 Days
Date: May 4, 2023
Notes: Tigers doing work winning 10 straight.

Cleveland's young All Star pitcher from 2022, Julian McDonald, has picked up an injury =(
(injured while pitching, I'm god damn terrified, still being diagnosed, RIP)

Only 2 under .500 and 2.5 back now. I might still need to trade for a starting pitcher, although I've got a couple of prospects at AAA that I could try.

The LAAngels backup CFer is Austin Jackson. He hasn't played in the majors in FOUR years.

Only 2 under .500 and 2.5 back now. I might still need to trade for a starting pitcher, although I've got a couple of prospects at AAA that I could try.

The LAAngels backup CFer is Austin Jackson. He hasn't played in the majors in FOUR years.

I've got pitching to burn. Hit me up if you see anything you really want, and I'll let you know if they're available.

Motown has to love all the spending paying off with a nice start to the season. The Central is a tough division right now. It'll be fun to see how the season unfolds.

brentech

I just hope my ace isn't going to have a majorly injury, but I think I'm going to lose him for the year. He is listed as fragile and made it all last year without issue. Due up.

I've got pitching to burn. Hit me up if you see anything you really want, and I'll let you know if they're available.

Motown has to love all the spending paying off with a nice start to the season. The Central is a tough division right now. It'll be fun to see how the season unfolds.

I do love the start. This is the season that Miggy's production is going to fall off a cliff I think.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: May 11, 2023
Note: Draft Pool revealed
Oh thank goodness, my top pitcher ended up just missing a week due to back soreness. Still afraid the injury bug will hit my pitchers this year.

3 games over .500, 9-4 the last two sims, .5 game back of the CPU for first in the division. Aside from the fact that my supposed ace and my highest paid offensive player are both sucking, I'm doing pretty well.

One thing I decided to try after last season is changing all my closers usage role to stopper and setting them to 7th and close game. Right now for every single one of my teams the reliever with the most innings pitched is my best reliever on each team, and they're pretty much all putting up dominating numbers. Fuck your conventions!

3 games over .500, 9-4 the last two sims, .5 game back of the CPU for first in the division. Aside from the fact that my supposed ace and my highest paid offensive player are both sucking, I'm doing pretty well.

One thing I decided to try after last season is changing all my closers usage role to stopper and setting them to 7th and close game. Right now for every single one of my teams the reliever with the most innings pitched is my best reliever on each team, and they're pretty much all putting up dominating numbers. Fuck your conventions!

Yeah, I'm really liking the stopper role over using a closer. Once you realize saves don't matter, you can get a lot more value out of your best reliever. I got a guy in my minors, who's a borderline starter with 50 stamina and only two plus pitches, who I think will be a beast as a stopper.

Yeah, I'm really liking the stopper role over using a closer. Once you realize saves don't matter, you can get a lot more value out of your best reliever. I got a guy in my minors, who's a borderline starter with 50 stamina and only two plus pitches, who I think will be a beast as a stopper.

This season I finally stopped trying to make Alfredo Oropeza into a starter and made him my stopper. He's been phenomenal. Right now my bullpen is letting me over come my not so great starting pitching.

brentech

I have to start deleting box-scores from the website. I guess we have far too many files on the server, hitting 90% of the quota. Would be nice if OOTP ran with a database.

edit: hrm, maybe the mysql DB function does work this year. I'll have to play with that later and see if that can solve the issue.

This season I finally stopped trying to make Alfredo Oropeza into a starter and made him my stopper. He's been phenomenal. Right now my bullpen is letting me over come my not so great starting pitching.

I'm afraid that what's going to happen to Danner, who I was hoping would develop into an ace. Not having a 3rd pitch is a death sentence to a potential starter most of the time. I'm trying to figure out the best way to extract the most value out of him, because he eats innings and has stretches of being dominant.

brentech

I'm afraid that what's going to happen to Danner, who I was hoping would develop into an ace. Not having a 3rd pitch is a death sentence to a potential starter most of the time. I'm trying to figure out the best way to extract the most value out of him, because he eats innings and has stretches of being dominant.
I think this is where having my manager take over has proven to be interesting. A couple guys that I thought for sure were starters he uses as relievers, and relievers as starters.
And it has proven to be better for all of their careers. So I guess he knows better than I do when it comes to that.

Any of you guys ever run a completely fictional league in OOTP? I've got this idea to build a baseball universe from scratch where every state has a team with two 25 team leagues in 10 total divisions. I think I'll have the 5 division winners in each league and 3 wild cards make the playoffs, for a total of 16/50 playoff teams each year. I plan to make all the divisions regional for that extra rivalry flavor. I haven't fleshed out everything in my mind, but I think that's the base for what I want to do.

I know some of you guys only like dealing in the real world, but an entirely fictional league is something I've always been interested in doing in sports sims. Maybe I'll never get around to it, but I'd like to find the time.

Rommel

Any of you guys ever run a completely fictional league in OOTP? I've got this idea to build a baseball universe from scratch where every state has a team with two 25 team leagues in 10 total divisions. I think I'll have the 5 division winners in each league and 3 wild cards make the playoffs, for a total of 16/50 playoff teams each year. I plan to make all the divisions regional for that extra rivalry flavor. I haven't fleshed out everything in my mind, but I think that's the base for what I want to do.

I know some of you guys only like dealing in the real world, but an entirely fictional league is something I've always been interested in doing in sports sims. Maybe I'll never get around to it, but I'd like to find the time.

If you end up doing it you can count me in for a team!

Never did it in OOTP but back in the ancient days of Front Page Sports Baseball Pro 94 I created a 3 league reality with 48 teams. It took fucking forever to sim on my parents 386.

If you end up doing it you can count me in for a team!

Yeah ok cool, it's just in my head at the moment, but if I can ever get it from there to the computer, I'll let you know.

Never did it in OOTP but back in the ancient days of Front Page Sports Baseball Pro 94 I created a 3 league reality with 48 teams. It took fucking forever to sim on my parents 386.

Still faster than running a strat-o-matic league and putting everything together with pen and paper. :p But yeah, I'm glad that we are past the days of turtle pcs.

Yeah ok cool, it's just in my head at the moment, but if I can ever get it from there to the computer, I'll let you know.

Still faster than running a strat-o-matic league and putting everything together with pen and paper. :p But yeah, I'm glad that we are past the days of turtle pcs.

True, but it was dirt slow. Still it was fun because FPS let you do shit that console games still don't have (although OOTP does) like pick from any city (with realistic weather models), create home and away jersey colors, set team names etc. I basically tried to see what would happen if you had a team in every state.

True, but it was dirt slow. Still it was fun because FPS let you do shit that console games still don't have (although OOTP does) like pick from any city (with realistic weather models), create home and away jersey colors, set team names etc. I basically tried to see what would happen if you had a team in every state.

Yeah, that sort of fantasy league just has a strong appeal to me for whatever reason. (I never did play FPS back in the day though.)

In regards to jerseys, that reminds me of one element I'd like to incorporate, if I ever do this, and that's really spend some time designing (or maybe paying a starving college art student, since I'm not artistic in a visual sense) really professional looking logos for the various teams, just to give it a sense of authenticity, as well as having relevant regional names with some flavor. If I ever do this, I would really want to do it proper, and would like to do it very long-term.

Yeah, that sort of fantasy league just has a strong appeal to me for whatever reason. (I never did play FPS back in the day though.)

In regards to jerseys, that reminds me of one element I'd like to incorporate, if I ever do this, and that's really spend some time designing (or maybe paying a starving college art student, since I'm not artistic in a visual sense) really professional looking logos for the various teams, just to give it a sense of authenticity, as well as having relevant regional names with some flavor. If I ever do this, I would really want to do it proper, and would like to do it very long-term.

I totally get it, coming up with ridiculous relevant team names and matching color schemes was a lot of fun!

In GOBL news:

Bivens Told No More RV Tailgating Parties
Wednesday, May 17th, 2023
While no official word has been released on the situation, rumors have begun circulating that Blake Bivens has been ordered by the Seattle Mariners front office to "knock off the tailgating parties."

Many believe this is the result of the popularity of Bivens's RV parties which have attracted several hundred fans before each game. Fellow team mate, Tyler Marlette, expressed dismay if that were the case, but had concerns nonetheless.

"With that many people, the drinking and what not, it can get a bit out of hand. We have a game to play and there's no real security out there. We all went out to check it out last time and I can say, it was a bit crazy."

While Bivens has seemingly been told he can no longer drive his RV into the team's parking lot, he casually stated, "No one has said I can't park it around the block, have they?"

I think the real Mariners had a backup catcher a few years ago who lived in his RV.

Was it this guy?

giphy.gif

I'm old...

My team has turned an 180. Offense is good and pitching is pathetic other than Allard and maybe Pesto. My other good SP is injured hopefully he can come back and we'll have like 3 1/2 starters.

Fuck the Phillies.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: May 25, 2023
Note: Verlander to miss 4 months. Astros lose Correa for 3-4 weeks, Minnesota loses Nick Gordon for 8 weeks.

Top Bottom