• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Bomber Adams and Dominic DiCaprio are dominating almost every offensive category in the AL.

Also Alfredo Oropeza:

2nd in ERA
tied for fourth in appearances
tied for fourth in total strikeouts
1st in strikeouts per 9
tied for 1st in hits allowed per 9
1st in opponents average
4th in opponents on base percentage
2nd in opponents slugging
2nd in opponents OPS

Relief Ace baby!

I just noticed David Bedgood is on pace to hit 52 homers as a 24 year old short stop. Good lord.

Bomber Adams and Dominic DiCaprio are dominating almost every offensive category in the AL.

Also Alfredo Oropeza:

2nd in ERA
tied for fourth in appearances
tied for fourth in total strikeouts
1st in strikeouts per 9
tied for 1st in hits allowed per 9
1st in opponents average
4th in opponents on base percentage
2nd in opponents slugging
2nd in opponents OPS

Relief Ace baby!

I just noticed David Bedgood is on pace to hit 52 homers as a 24 year old short stop. Good lord.

Bomber got hurt for 2 weeks so we'll see how long that lasts.

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

OAK Sends:

- Orlando Arcia OAK

BAL Sends:

- Pancho Alvarez, Aberdeen, Low A
- Juan Moreno, Frederick, High A

Baltimore confirms.

Also, I'm still looking to make moves. For teams competing this year, I can spare a SP or 2 because I have a ton of young guys that are ready to go. For guys rebuilding, I'd be interested in acquiring a premium bat. Position doesn't matter, LF would be nice. I value defense but I can slot the new guy in at DH.

Meier

Just a general question -- anyone who have any idea as to why it's so hard to sign FAs in this version? I upgraded when it was on sale for $10 recently and started a new save as my Dodgers and every time a big name goes on the market (Strasburg, Jose Fernandez, Bryce Harper, etc.) they ask for high 30s to low 40m per year. I obviously am not willing to meet this but might offer high 20s to around 30m a year but they get angry and refuse. But then they ultimately sign elsewhere for low to mid 20s.

This has happened with a ton of big name FAs and is making it nearly impossible to sign a big name player. I imagine others have had this issue during the past year so looking for some suggestions.

Hmmm, actually haven't had that issue yet. What is the reputation of your GM and Manager? What's your fan interest? Seems like there may be something that is making the players ask for more money to play for your team due to some unappealing factor?

Meier

Hmmm, actually haven't had that issue yet. What is the reputation of your GM and Manager? What's your fan interest? Seems like there may be something that is making the players ask for more money to play for your team due to some unappealing factor?

100% fan interest as it's the Dodgers and I won the title in 2017. I'm Legendary as is my AGM Farhan Zaidi (or close to it). I mean, I assume it's because I have a shitload of money available to spend so they feel like they can ask for more, but without fail they end up signing for a more realistic amount elsewhere even if I repeatedly offer them more. It has happened every offseason with a big name FA available (I'm in around 2019 or 2020 now).

That's very interesting, I wonder if there's a greed factor that comes into play. I generally play the A's or old Expos or Padres, never actually played the game with a big budget team, may be why I've never run into this issue lol.

Sim: 5 days
Date: June 6, 2023
Notes: Tomorrow is the First Year Player Draft, get your draft lists in.

Hi Commish,

You might have missed the trade a few posts up... cool if you run that in tomorrow?

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoa, the Angels get both #1 and #2 picks overall? My goodness.

brentech

Sim: 1 day
Date: June 7 , 2023
Notes: FYPD is completed. Put out your offers, we're right back at 7 day sims tomorrow.

Trade was completed.

Oh I do love being in the situation of really needing the elite talent injection you get from a draft, while simultaneously being unable to sign said talent.

I'd say I look forward to having two high 1st round picks next season, but I'll likely be even more broke.

Rommel

I moved some players down on my list due to demands. My #1 pick wants 130k. I think I can swing that. Fairly happy with this draft.

That's why I actually filter guys out that want more than I can pay. I also avoid guys marked as impossible. Feels like I've had better results because of it.

I do exactly the same thing. I trimmed my draft budget and used those funds on player development. I've got no interest in the guys who want to be paid like big-league performers with 0 PAs or pitches thrown in the Show.

I made a huge draft list but then everything changed.. I think there's new adjustments once June 1st hit? Because originally the highest amount I saw being requested was $7 mil, and then my 1st pick wants $9 million.

I was there was a way to just exclude players that shouldn't be drafted.

brentech

Sim: 7 Days
Date: June 14, 2023
Notes: Baltimore Michael Matuella torn his labrum, out 4 months.

Indians have cruised so far in the month of June, compiling a 11-2 record, and overtaking the Tigers for first in the Division. It doesn't mean much though. The Indians, Tigers, and Twins only have 2 1/2 games separating them.
Awesome division guys

Rommel

What an odd Rule V draft pick. Drafted Steve King from the Reds on the off chance he could find some control and be a decent starter. About a month or so into the season I just happened to be looking at his ratings and was blown away when I saw he was a better hitter. So long story short, I now have a new CF.

Indians have cruised so far in the month of June, compiling a 11-2 record, and overtaking the Tigers for first in the Division. It doesn't mean much though. The Indians, Tigers, and Twins only have 2 1/2 games separating them.
Awesome division guys

Yep. We've got a really fun and competitive Central. Actually both Central divisions look like they've got 3 playoff-caliber teams.

I've been bit a little harder by the injury bug this year. Lost my #1 Starter (according to my manager anyway) for 2-3 months in addition to two team leaders and important pieces in SS Gordon and RF Piscotty for about 2 months each. And just lost 1B Bellinger for a couple weeks.

Thankfully, I've got pretty solid organizational depth to call upon and my roster has plenty of guys with toughness, leadership and grit, and I don't think they'll fold under the added pressure. I expect them to grind things out and find ways to win while waiting for those MIA to return.

It's going to be exciting to see how this division plays out this year. I expected this would be this case going in, with Detroit being pretty loaded and spending to win now and Cleveland in the midst of a very effective overhaul going back to last season. 3 very good squads are going to battle it out for the Central. The two who don't take the title should be poised to compete for a WC spot.

Ynoa pitched a perfect game!

(Except it wasn't my Ynoa :|)

I saw Ynoa, and immediately thought it was my (old) Ynoa too. Cool to see a perfect game thrown, though.

Yep. We've got a really fun and competitive Central. Actually both Central divisions look like they've got 3 playoff-caliber teams.
Yep, NL is a tough one too. I have no idea how I'm leading it but I'll take it. Gray is out for the season, 2/3 of my OFs were toast for a while, 1 is still out while Stanton just got back. But I'm nearly top 4 in everything in the NL except for defensive efficiency (which I've been trying to work on too over the past couple of seasons).

Rommel

#2 overall pick Estefan 'Franchise' Montoya completely skips the minor leagues to start CF for the Angels. Stellar defense offset by a less than ideal .484 OPS in 12 games.

Found out the new programmer at work plays OOTP. I told him about this league and he was asking if there was some way we could let him in. Too bad it takes 10 years to get a GAF account.

Are the Indians going to start stretching their legs?

In addition to missing my starting RF, SS, and #1 Starter with lengthy injuries and a couple weeks for my 1B, I now have my starting 2B and arguably my best pitcher this season with diagnosis pending injury status. I don't know how much a team can endure and hang in there. Hopefully we get everyone healthy after the All-Star break and are able to hold on.

Tribe is stingy with those runs allowed!

The injuries just keep piling up for the Twins. We really need the grinders to begin grinding at least through the break if we hope to hang on to have a realistic shot in the second half. Just been brutal, probably my worst season in terms of injuries to significant players since the beginning. Time to grit your teeth and get some ugly wins boys.

I have a winning record in June! I hope this means my team is finally starting to gel.

AL West is starting to look really tight too. My 8 1/2 games back is by far the best for a last place team.

Meier

That's very interesting, I wonder if there's a greed factor that comes into play. I generally play the A's or old Expos or Padres, never actually played the game with a big budget team, may be why I've never run into this issue lol.

Manny Machado just asked for $420m over 9 years. I offered him $30m a year but he countered with $46.75m per year. We'll see what he ultimately signs for elsewhere.

He signed a 6 year $164m deal after turning down my offers. Fucked I tell you.

brentech

Sim: 4 days
Date: July 6, 2023
Notes: Had some time today. Short sim to FYP signing deadline. There may or may not be a sim tomorrow. Definitely back on Sunday.

Top Bottom