• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

That second AL wild card is going to be a bloodbath.

So, it turns out, if I trade my ace, and have my #2 go down with an injury, it doesn't really drag me down! If past is prologue, I'm guessing I'll go into 2024 expecting to win maybe 85 games and walk out with 105 wins.

brentech

Sim: 3 Days
Date: Sept 1, 2023
Notes: Roster expansion is now available. Good luck on the final playoff push --- and if you're not still in the race, good luck to the development of your future players.

Amazing watching some players just fall apart over a season. Greg Holland was a 74 OVR when I signed him to a two year deal with an option. Kept dropping bit by bit until he was in the 30s. Everything fell apart and dude just broke down. Expensive hit to take, but these things happen.

Been a crazy season.

BTW... anyone check out those Padres dismantling the NL West? Dodgers are done! Called them having a hell of a list of prospects over the offseason. Guess that's working out alright.

Looks like Peguero has the triple crown on lockdown too. Wow.

I really wish Mike Trout wasn't hitting like a platoon only guy :(

My pitching numbers picked up in August but my offense, which was great last season, is awful. Only 5 games back of a wildcard spot though. Gah.

brentech

Grabbed this for a few bucks in the bundle. Can you play it without it being too much of a timesink?
We advance 7 days, daily. I don't even think someone needs to do something on a daily basis, but if you did, 5-10 minutes tops is all you need.

When it takes more time than that, generally, is starting the season, deciding on your 25 and 40 man rosters. Draft time when you make a list of players you want to select. Rule 5 draft time. Free Agent opening to assess your team and figure out what you might be able to fix. Stuff like that, the bigger highlights on the league calendar.

BumRush

We advance 7 days, daily. I don't even think someone needs to do something on a daily basis, but if you did, 5-10 minutes tops is all you need.

When it takes more time than that, generally, is starting the season, deciding on your 25 and 40 man rosters. Draft time when you make a list of players you want to select. Rule 5 draft time. Free Agent opening to assess your team and figure out what you might be able to fix. Stuff like that, the bigger highlights on the league calendar.

That's awesome. Thank you!

Some high quality rookie batters this season in the AL. Adams in particular. He'd probably be the frontrunner for AL MVP if not for his teammate, DiCaprio.

Fun fact. TB rookie 1B Kiyomizu's age-22 comp is Lou Gehrig.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Sept 8, 2023
Notes:

edit: Indians have now lost 3 pitchers, the top outfielder (Ronald Washington), and our second baseman for the remainder of regular season, . Washington should make it back for the Postseason should the Indians hold onto a spot. One of the pitchers might make it back as well.
Where do you see that type of info, don't think I've ever noticed it.

Rommel

Ugh terrible sim. I seem to have this paradox where my hitters have forgotten how to hit HR's and inversely my pitchers seem to have gone bananas in giving them up.

Some high quality rookie batters this season in the AL. Adams in particular. He'd probably be the frontrunner for AL MVP if not for his teammate, DiCaprio.

I really considered signing him to be my DH but his price got kinda high. Then again age 22 Lou Gehrig would be worth a lot of money.

De Jong out 2 months. Means he misses the stretch run and the playoffs. Probably should have expected it at some point since his durability is fragile. Here's to hoping that Dicaprio, Adams, and Gallo can carry me with their bats the rest of the way.

In a player's profile > Available actions > compare player

There's a comparable players field, and you can toggle between that and by age.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Man, the depth in this game, always finding new things they built into it. Geniuses.

brentech

Sim: 6 days (sim had an error, left it at that)
Date: Sept 14
Notes: Cubs, Yankees have been eliminated from the playoffs. 3 really close races: ALC, ALW, and NLC have under 5 game differences, with just 4 weeks left

I need to get my guys some of those Fred McGriff tapes or something.

I currently have (among qualified players) a catcher who's tied for 3rd in errors among catchers, the second most error-prone 1B, the most error prone 2B, a SS tied for 7th, and the most error prone CF and RFers.

That's 95 errors total. At least my team is #1 in something!

(the actual best is 53 - a tie between Arizona and Cincinnati.)

Wow 11 straight wins! Starting a series against the Dodgers though and they're also fighting for those wildcard spots. Picked a great time to finally get hot. 2nd in power rankings 11-2 so far in September

Also back to .500 for my career 718-718!

jeff-fisher-thumbs-up-yo.jpg

Wow 11 straight wins! Starting a series against the Dodgers though and they're also fighting for those wildcard spots. Picked a great time to finally get hot. 2nd in power rankings 11-2 so far in September

Yeah if you could beat the Dodgers that'd be great. Mmmmmmmkay.

brentech

Date: Sept 28
Notes: Arizona Kolten Wong out for season. St Louis Carlos Martinez, Cleveland Kyle Cody out for season. Detroit Tigers owner dies after brief illness

Boston, Miami, Tampa Bay, Chicago WS are all eliminated.
Blue Jays, Phillies, Padres have clinched.

Detroit and Cleveland now have tied records at 88-62. There is no tighter race in baseball right now with 12 days left in the season.
Cleveland now has 4 pitchers, 3 starters, out for the remainder of the season. Final 2 months killed this team. Just can't replace 3 starting pitchers. This is like the real world 2016 Indians at this point.

Rommel

Ugh can't put together a winning streak and looks like Wong has played his last game as a Diamondback.

On the plus side my Rule V pick Steve 'Speedy' King has turned into a complete stud. Started the year as a pitcher with iffy control but good numbers

0.96 ERA
9.1 IP
1.18 WHIP
11/3 K/BB
0.3 WAR

But not believing in his ability to find is control I Rick Ankiel'd him and put him in CF to amazing results.

.309/.366/.532 for an .898 OPS and 4.0 WAR with the bat.

Yeah, my 1st round draft pick this season was a pitcher with great hitter ratings.

But I couldn't sign him.

And there's one pitcher on a human controlled team I'd like to convert too, but I don't control him.

Swept the Marlins then got swept by the Phillies. The other WC teams have been losing too so I now have a 5 1/2 game lead for the top wild card spot. I do have another series against the Phillies though. Should have fired my pitching coach way earlier I'm 41-22 with a 3.41 era since I hired this new guy that had just an average reputation.

Ugh can't put together a winning streak and looks like Wong has played his last game as a Diamondback.

On the plus side my Rule V pick Steve 'Speedy' King has turned into a complete stud. Started the year as a pitcher with iffy control but good numbers

0.96 ERA
9.1 IP
1.18 WHIP
11/3 K/BB
0.3 WAR

But not believing in his ability to find is control I Rick Ankiel'd him and put him in CF to amazing results.

.309/.366/.532 for an .898 OPS and 4.0 WAR with the bat.

I was looking at that guy the other day. Dude looks like he could be an all star pitcher and at Cf

Rommel, that's so cool. Nice job digging into those ratings and making that call!

Alex Wood out for season. Oof. Also signed Kershaw on a whim and the manager actually put him in a game lol. He... did real bad.

brentech

Date: Oct 5, 2023
Notes:

Teams that are in.
Code:
Blue Jays

Tigers
Indians
Twins

A's

Code:
Phillies
Braves

Brewers
Padres

Teams that aren't in, but aren't eliminated either: Cardinals, Reds, Dodgers, Diamondbacks.

AL Central is the only division to have not decided the division winner. Tigers and Indians have a 1 game difference, but a 4 game series ahead that will decide it.

First time making the playoffs since the 2nd season of the league. Too bad it's only going to last one game.

One of my SP got hurt for 4 months that would fuck me up if my team got through the wild card game.

Twins heating up at the right time on a 9-game roll. Pitching has been especially great of late, both starters and the pen. Things are coming into form with most everyone healthy.

On the flip side, Joseph is out for 1-2 weeks unfortunately. Maybe he squeezes back in time for the WC game...I hope. If he misses, this would be his second missed post-season trip, unless we advance until he is back.

Just happy to get an invitation to the dance. It's been a turbulent year, but I love the moxie of this group, and just getting back to the post-season says a great deal about these guys this year. We're capable of a repeat, and this team knows how to grind out tough wins, but it will take some doing, and will be a tough road, if it is to be done. (I have a feeling it's Philly's year, though. They're just an offensive terror. *shudder*)

brentech

It's been a pitfall the last two months of the season for the Indians. Injuries have plagued the pitching staff and even a couple fielders.

I get back one of my four injured pitchers to start the last few games.
I have three players in the cold. They really have to turn it around going into the playoffs.

It's been a pitfall the last two months of the season for the Indians. Injuries have plagued the pitching staff and even a couple fielders.

I get back one of my four injured pitchers to start the last few games.
I have three players in the cold. They really have to turn it around going into the playoffs.

It's fascinating how things develop over the course of a year (every year). You can be riding such a high early only to find yourself in the ditch as things start to climax or the complete opposite.

Of course, it's best if things are heating up for you down the stretch-run, but you never know. Sometimes a relatively cold, injury-beset squad can find the juice at the right time and ride the wave all the way.

The A's have been fortunate enough to make the playoffs in 8 of the league's 9 years. Been bounced in the WS twice, barely even showed up the other years. It's cool to get in so often, but man the playoffs are usually over before they even begin.

The Buffalo Bills ain't got nothin on my Athletics.

First time making the playoffs since the 2nd season of the league. Too bad it's only going to last one game.

One of my SP got hurt for 4 months that would fuck me up if my team got through the wild card game.
Don't worry, if I make it, my 2 top guys are out for the wild card game anyway.

I'd just like to field a team that doesn't suck. I'm 19 games under .500 for my career despite putting up the winningest single season in GOBL history.

Good news though. I have a young pitcher that slipped into Ponce's vacated rotation slot, and has put up 1.6 WAR in 12 starts (compared to the 1.8 WAR Ponce gave me in 20.)

2024 is looking good!

And now I lost my Closer for 12-13 months :(

My pitchers have taken a beating this year. 3 guys now out for 10+ months, including my top SP and RP.

Up 1/2 game against the Dodgers but just went on a 3 game losing streak after losing my closer :(

brentech

I was never able to make it to my PC last night. Just completed yesterday's sim.

Sim: 5 days
Date: Oct. 10
Notes: Probably won't sim again today unless I see an upload from all of the wild card teams. (So I need an upload from the Twins and Braves in order to sim tonight).

uoSKAQX.png

Oh man we collapsed at the end. Losing my closer killed me I think.

Yep, looking at the site looks like I went 1-3 in the last sim and I think we had lost 3 straight at the end of the previous sim. So a 1-6 finish =(

Top Bottom