• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Congrats to all the playoff teams, and good luck to the wild card participants. May your labrums stay attached and your relievers not suck.

#TeamHuman

Good luck brentech. It's been an interesting year. Hope our instant game-7 is a good one.
(The Twins have been significantly better at home this season, so you've got that in your pocket, at least.)

And good luck to all the other human teams in the post-season. Yeah, I got no love for you cpu- just a bunch of cold circuits. (Did I just doom the Twins. :p)

Rommel

Congratz everyone who made it. Going to be an interesting year next year in AZ with Profar and Wong heading out. Signing Ozuna effectively cost me the last 2 years of my window with them. Time to begin the rebuild, and I can only pray Ozuna is mad enough to take the opt out.

Did the website not update last night?

Well, unfortunately Joseph couldn't make it back in time from his HBP for the WC game. That stings. Hopefully guys will be ready to pick up the slack.

Glancing at the stats, it looks like Sands was 2-2 against us and Gettys was 1-2 against the Tribe. Gettys going on 3 days as well. Hope Baller knows what he's doing.

Baseball Americas top AFL performers reads like a OOTP who's who Ian Happ, Nick Gordon, Elroy Jimenez... fun to read BA after playing the league this long. Saw Derek Fisher on the Astros top prospect list and felt like I've followed him for years.

Oh shit what a game. Joc Pederson started the game with a solo home run and then Peguero hit a two run shot to take a 3-0 lead in the top of the first. Then my rule 5 draft pick from 2020 Plinkington from the Cardinals hit a 3 run homer to tie the game in the 5th and Freddie hit a solo hr in the 6th to take the lead.

Now to get swept by the Phillies. 5-14 record against them this season lol

Damn is every team in the AL playoffs human controlled? NL has maybe two, Claude hasn't updated since October. One of us must stop the Phillies!

Congrats brentech/Tribe. Good game, and good luck the rest of the way.

I can't help but be a little bitter, wondering how things may have played out if we had Joseph, but them's the breaks. Overall I'm pleased with the season, all things considered and looking forward to next year.

Good luck all humans.

As the owner of the pitcher responsible, I offer my condolences.

Things may get a little testy in some game next season. ;) (Actually, I kind of wish we had some level of control in this regard, in terms of being aggressive towards a particular team or player and that an overall and dynamic "rivalry meter" (TM) would reflect the "heat" between all teams in the league at any given point in time, factoring in recent and long-term historical events. Get on that Markus! ;))

brentech

It was a good game, but kind of sad that the winning run was scored off of an error.

Glad that my dumpster load of money shipped to Buster Posey has paid off. He has been the bat that this club needed. I don't think I win this division series, but proud that this team got this far.

Highest attendance season, most winningest season.

Checking in on some players:

AL:

- Justin Hooper CWS STP - Dominant. Led the AL in K's (319), K's per 9 (11.9 holy shit) K/BB, WHIP (1.00), Opponent OBP (.267), Opponent OPS (.611) and pitcher WAR (7.3). No one really came close.

- Alfredo Oropeza SEA RP - Literally pitched in half Seattle's games with 11.3 K's/9.

- Dominic DiCaprio DET C - One of the best offensive seasons for a Catcher in history. Led the AL with a 1.001 OPS, a 9.2 WAR (holy shit!) and 125 RBI.

NL:

- David Bedgood, PHL, SS - The best player in any of our lifetimes. 11.8 WAR, led the league in Slugging, OPS (1.089), ISO, Runs (145!), HR (57), and was second in RBI with 144.

- Javier Baez CHC, 2B - Dude struck out a mind boggling 247 times in 629 ABs. That's one hell of a strikeout rate. .689 OPS with a .221-29-79 line.

- Austin Bergner - MIL - STP - Dude was a horse. Led the league in Innings Pitched (247), ERA, Wins, Strikeouts (350!), K/9 (12.8), opponent OPS (.592) and pitcher WAR (9.2).

Hell of a good season overall. The Padres got real good, Milwaukee finally made it, the Braves are back in the mix, the AL Central race was incredible... lots to love in 2023.

The Brewers were in the World Series last year, I thought.

Heh, well, kept making it then I guess.

AL:

- Justin Hooper CWS STP - Dominant. Led the AL in K's (319), K's per 9 (11.9 holy shit) K/BB, WHIP (1.00), Opponent OBP (.267), Opponent OPS (.611) and pitcher WAR (7.3). No one really came close.

- Alfredo Oropeza SEA RP - Literally pitched in half Seattle's games with 11.3 K's/9.

- Dominic DiCaprio DET C - One of the best offensive seasons for a Catcher in history. Led the AL with a 1.001 OPS, a 9.2 WAR (holy shit!) and 125 RBI.

NL:

- David Bedgood, PHL, SS - The best player in any of our lifetimes. 11.8 WAR, led the league in Slugging, OPS (1.089), ISO, Runs (145!), HR (57), and was second in RBI with 144.

- Javier Baez CHC, 2B - Dude struck out a mind boggling 247 times in 629 ABs. That's one hell of a strikeout rate. .689 OPS with a .221-29-79 line.

- Austin Bergner - MIL - STP - Dude was a horse. Led the league in Innings Pitched (247), ERA, Wins, Strikeouts (350!), K/9 (12.8), opponent OPS (.592) and pitcher WAR (9.2).

Hell of a good season overall. The Padres got real good, Milwaukee finally made it, the Braves are back in the mix, the AL Central race was incredible... lots to love in 2023.

Also Joe Adams' rookie season:

G AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K AVG OBP SLG SB WAR
140 539 170 26 5 39 104 65 110 .315 .388 .599 4 7.5

AL:

NL:

DiCaprio's season isn't even the best season by a catcher since we've been playing GOBL, which is kinda crazy.

Oropeza's numbers are crazy, he started 29 games last season and pitched 40 innings less.

He was 1st in the league in appearances, 1st in games finished, 2nd in K/9, 1st in runs allowed.

His usage was set to 7th and close game and stopper.

Also Joe Adams' rookie season:

G AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K AVG OBP SLG SB WAR
140 539 170 26 5 39 104 65 110 .315 .388 .599 4 7.5

In any normal year, my rule 5 pick Irving Williams would've been a serious contender for ROY.

But then along came Joe Adams and Tsuginori Kiyomizu.

And by the way, I think Joe Adams is juicing. Hits 16 HR's in 217 MiLB games, then jumps from single A to the show, and hits 39 dongs in 140 games? Shenanigans I say!

Another fun fact: David Bedgood's age 22/23 and 24 comps are Cal Ripken and ARod respectively. Because of course they are.

More fun: Looking at the preseason projections, they totally called the Bergner triple crown.

This was the guy that jumped out for me for some reason when I was looking over the year. I know there were a lot of great performers outside of Bergner, but his K total was ridiculous. Outside of Koufax, Ryan, and the Big Unit, no other relatively modern pitcher can touch him.

This was the guy that jumped out for me for some reason when I was looking over the year. I know there were a lot of great performers outside of Bergner, but his K total was ridiculous. Outside of Koufax, Ryan, and the Big Unit, no other relatively modern pitcher can touch him.

Yeah so Bergner won the pitching triple crown with 19 Wins, a 2.81 ERA and 350 Ks.

The strikeouts really set him apart. Looking at other triple crown winners, Randy Johnson's 2002 season is close 24 wins, 2.32, 334 but Roger Clemens' 1998 is probably the closest at 21-2.05-292?

Great season for sure.

In any normal year, my rule 5 pick Irving Williams would've been a serious contender for ROY.

But then along came Joe Adams and Tsuginori Kiyomizu.

And by the way, I think Joe Adams is juicing. Hits 16 HR's in 217 MiLB games, then jumps from single A to the show, and hits 39 dongs in 140 games? Shenanigans I say!

Another fun fact: David Bedgood's age 22/23 and 24 comps are Cal Ripken and ARod respectively. Because of course they are.

More fun: Looking at the preseason projections, they totally called the Bergner triple crown.

Funny because I was scared as hell about him making the jump to the bigs, but I needed another outfielder and decided to give him a shot. He was like a 45 overall and 80 potential before he got called up and after 2 weeks of the regular season starting he shot up to an 80 overall.

Yeah so Bergner won the pitching triple crown with 19 Wins, a 2.81 ERA and 350 Ks.

The strikeouts really set him apart. Looking at other triple crown winners, Randy Johnson's 2002 season is close 24 wins, 2.32, 334 but Roger Clemens' 1998 is probably the closest at 21-2.05-292?

Great season for sure.

Yeah, there have been other dominant season on the hill overall. (I was just referring to his strikeout total, if that wasn't clear.)

For me, strikeout ability is the most important element to look for in a pitcher/staff. Obviously I'm not alone in that, but generating as many non-productive outs as possible is such a game changer for any team. (over the course of a game/series/season)

It's the little things that get you in baseball, and the K just eliminates all that shit with a period. (Sit em down. Move on.)

Also this just happened on Twitter:

Rich Grisham ‏@RichGrisham 1m1 minute ago
The @neogaf thread on @ootpbaseball is my favorite to check out daily. Living, breathing virtual baseball universe.

I wanted to pry Bergner off of ez so badly when he was coming up. I'm not surprised he's utterly dominant.

Also this just happened on Twitter:

Rich Grisham ‏@RichGrisham 1m1 minute ago
The @neogaf thread on @ootpbaseball is my favorite to check out daily. Living, breathing virtual baseball universe.

Hi Rich. *waves*

Great season for sure.

Damn that's even better than Shelby's 2 triple crowns. His ERA was better but those strikeouts are ridiculous. How I miss Shelby :( he's just a mediocre reliever now

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Date: Oct 16, 2023
Notes: AL series are all knotted up while the NL both has 2-0 leads.
Another 3 day sim tomorrow will leave game 5's on the table if necessary.

Saw your post and thought yep knew I was gonna get swept glad I was wrong. Was thinking it was a 7 game series too for some reason. One win away from defeating the Phillies!

Daniel Sweet out for the playoffs. My #3 hitter. At least he didn't get hurt washing his car or putting on his shoes or working on his farm.

F Kendall Graveman forever. Dirtbag.

Fuck David Bedgood destroyed us during the regular season batting .400 with 10 home runs 29 rbi's and a .907 slg but he's batting 1 for 7 so far during the playoffs. Come on guys just one more game and two of them are at home!

Hopefully you win, otherwise we have no shot at an NL human team.

Even if we do beat the Phillies it's gonna be tough beating the Brewers or Padres. All these NL CPU teams are loaded. An all human World Series would be great though

Fuck David Bedgood destroyed us during the regular season batting .400 with 10 home runs 29 rbi's and a .907 slg but he's batting 1 for 7 so far during the playoffs. Come on guys just one more game and two of them are at home!

Even if we do beat the Phillies it's gonna be tough beating the Brewers or Padres. All these NL CPU teams are loaded. An all human World Series would be great though

David Bedgood's career post season line: .200/.259/.360/.619 1 2B 1 HR 2 BB 10 K

Small sample size, but if he was a real world player you know people would be giving him Alex Rodriguez choker labels.

David Bedgood's career post season line: .200/.259/.360/.619 1 2B 1 HR 2 BB 10 K

Small sample size, but if he was a real world player you know people would be giving him Alex Rodriguez choker labels.

The interesting thing about Bedgood is that he has "Low" leader ability and "Low" desire to win. I'm always interested in how the personality impacts the player in this game and I'm always trying to get a read on it, if there's anything to be figured out. It seems like being low in both of those categories may have an effect on post-season work, but he does have high or very high work ethic and intelligence ratings.

I think I've figured out that some guys with low desire to win aren't impacted because they are leaders. In my mind, I've worked it out that they are dedicated to their craft first and that results (wins/losses) are secondary for them. That is, they have the mindset to be the best player they can and are focused on what they can control- they're leaders by example and therefore their performance isn't compromised in big moments.

Of course, this is probably all just in my head, and not how it works at all.

So that ARod age comp isn't just regular season, I see!

The interesting thing about Bedgood is that he has "Low" leader ability and "Low" desire to win. I'm always interested in how the personality impacts the player in this game and I'm always trying to get a read on it, if there's anything to be figured out. It seems like being low in both of those categories may have an effect on post-season work, but he does have high or very high work ethic and intelligence ratings.

I think I've figured out that some guys with low desire to win aren't impacted because they are leaders. In my mind, I've worked it out that they are dedicated to their craft first and that results (wins/losses) are secondary for them. That is, they have the mindset to be the best player they can and are focused on what they can control- they're leaders by example and therefore their performance isn't compromised in big moments.

Of course, this is probably all just in my head, and not how it works at all.

I'm reminded of my 1B, Octavio Morales. He of the 'low' leader ability and work ethic and 'very high' desire for winning. Specifically how those extremes are illustrated through his performance in high leverage situations.

Low leverage - 220 AB, .223/.293/.386, 9 HR, 13 RBI
Medium leverage - 304 AB, .270/.319/.507, 20 HR, 49 RBI
High leverage - 118 AB, .297/.341/.636, 11 HR, 46 RBI

He clearly can't be bothered to perform if the game isn't on the line. But when it is, he's a star.

The interesting thing about Bedgood is that his performance in the regular season is similar. He batted .385/.510/.872 with 21 HR and 45 RBI in 78 high leverage regular season AB's. I'll give provisional credit to his 'very high' work ethic.

baa55df03342db29aea486974e8f6c3cb7322e6b859863a2f3e29388450e85a8.jpg

Top Bottom