• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

brentech

Sim: 7 Days
Date: Aug 9, 2024
Notes: AL East and NL Central have the closest races involving 3+ teams. While other divisions could still swing drastically, they mostly have 2 teams in contention with other teams 10+ games behind.

AL East is crazy. I'm starting to get healthy so I hope the guys coming back don't miss a beat. CF Pancho Roa has been a savior this season for me. He started the year as my 5th or 6th OF and has put up a .826 OPS while playing decent defense in basically a full time role all year. I don't know if I'd ever commit to him as a full time starter, but I've been a huge fan of what he's done this year. I'll probably platoon him with Puig.

Rommel

End of May I was about 2 games back from the WC.

Now? 19.

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting to contend this season, but geez.

I'm baffled why you don't have Morales @ DH and Gouge at 1B. Gouge could be a pretty good 1B quickly while Morales has no shot.

I'm baffled why you don't have Morales @ DH and Gouge at 1B. Gouge could be a pretty good 1B quickly while Morales has no shot.

It's complicated. Keeping Fisher's bat in the lineup (but hiding his OF glove) was a big reason, however Gouge has been eating most of Fisher's AB's recently. Morales improved enough at 1B from his first season to his second that I thought he was capable of treading water there until getting permanently stuck at DH starting next season. He's been a bit worse this year (but nowhere near as bad as he was in 2022.) I dabbled with the idea of having Morales back at his natural position catching, but I (correctly) thought burying Fraser would've been counterproductive. Then I got Annunziata and that made things even more complicated.

I'll give it a shot though. Nothing to lose at this point.

I do secretly wonder if Morales is just a poison pill in general. He's not well liked by his peers. But that power is just so seductive.

Rommel

It's complicated. Keeping Fisher's bat in the lineup (but hiding his OF glove) was a big reason, however Gouge has been eating most of Fisher's AB's recently. Morales improved enough at 1B from his first season to his second that I thought he was capable of treading water there until getting permanently stuck at DH starting next season. He's been a bit worse this year (but nowhere near as bad as he was in 2022.) I dabbled with the idea of having Morales back at his natural position catching, but I (correctly) thought burying Fraser would've been counterproductive. Then I got Annunziata and that made things even more complicated.

I'll give it a shot though. Nothing to lose at this point.

I do secretly wonder if Morales is just a poison pill in general. He's not well liked by his peers. But that power is just so seductive.

That was the feeling I had with Warner, he was part of the group I demoted when my chemistry sucked. He wasn't going to be a starter yet and was going to complain that he wasn't, once him and Ferri got demoted my team took off.

That was the feeling I had with Warner, he was part of the group I demoted when my chemistry sucked. He wasn't going to be a starter yet and was going to complain that he wasn't, once him and Ferri got demoted my team took off.

Well he's now on the DL for five weeks so, yeah.

Pretty much every offensive acquisition I've made since acquiring Morales has been a chemistry-first move meant to inject leadership of some sort. Winker. Gouge. Ewing. Annunziata - all chosen in large part because of the intangibles.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Aug 31, 2024
Notes: Late sim, been away all day - It's currently processing.
Dodgers Harold Ramirez out for season, partially torn labrum.
D'backs Lucas Wakamatsu fractured elbow, out for season.
Indians Lindor to miss 4 weeks.

Freddie hit his 300th HR! Jimmy O'Brien is now tied for the lead league in home runs this season.

Allard is finally back after getting hurt yet again the first game of the season. He's going to the bullpen where he belongs. Rookie Chris Johnson also coming back. Hopefully we can keep this lead on the Phillies. 2 games under .500% for the month though.

Dang, Royals are +9 relative to their Pythagorean expectation. Can't stay close to a team that defies logic.

Maybe they'll crumble down the stretch and things will even out. Won't help the Twins though. We'll have to settle for fighting for the WC again this year.

brentech

Dang, Royals are +9 relative to their Pythagorean expectation. Can't stay close to a team that defies logic.

Maybe they'll crumble down the stretch and things will even out. Won't help the Twins though. We'll have to settle for fighting for the WC again this year.
I was keeping pace until these last two sims. A string of 1-2 month long injuries to about 5 of my fielders has finally had KC break away a bit on me.

Royals outperforming projections? Just like real life!

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Aug 30, 2024
Notes: Joe Adams injured 5 weeks, strained hammy.
Cardinals Stanton will miss rest of season, concussion.
A's Phil Evenson out 5 weeks, injured finger.

God damn it, KC just pulling away on me. I was 1 game behind a couple sims ago, now I'm 8 1/2 games back, and 5 1/2 games ahead in the WC.

brentech

I have a couple handfuls of autographed balls at my house. I know all the ones that are mine, but there are 4 that are in a storage bin we hold for my brother. I'm having a hard time deciphering these two if anyone has any ideas.
0v3GN9L.jpg

Y8LDagE.jpg
The second one could be upside down for all I know.

I have a couple handfuls of autographed balls at my house. I know all the ones that are mine, but there are 4 that are in a storage bin we hold for my brother. I'm having a hard time deciphering these two if anyone has any ideas.

The second one could be upside down for all I know.

Yo that first one is Carl Yastrzemski.

For the second, is that an 11 or a 41 at the end? Your brother a Red Sox fan? Like, any leads at all?

brentech

Yo that first one is Carl Yastrzemski.

For the second, is that an 11 or a 41 at the end? Your brother a Red Sox fan? Like, any leads at all?
Thanks. In case interested, what I have here is:
Hank Aaron
Cal Ripken Jr
Ken Griffey Jr
Willie Mays

Yogi Berra
Hank Aaron
Carl Yastrzemski
Mr X

So, no leads. Reason being is that my uncle is Mark Baker.
he used to author all types of autograph and memorabilia books, but now does sports history for the most part.
So when I was younger he would just let us go through all the baseballs that had little smudges and whatnot and pick anything we wanted.

Wow! That's a nice set of balls you got there.

Heh heh heh

So, ball 2 should be a pretty good player then, helps. So yeah is that a number 11 at the end of the name?

It's likely a more modern era guy as they didn't sign balls like this back in the day. My guess this is late 80s to 2000s. Looked up everyone with number 11 and 41 but can't figure it out. Driving me nuts lol.

Which commissioner or league president is on the ball? Could help with era.

If any of you AL teams are interested in picking up Giancarlo in the off-season to slot in as your DH, let me know. His salary drops about $25M per year as I was able to get him to sign a 3 year extension at $5M each, with a team option in the following year.

I've decided to go all defense stars in the OF and as I want to move Clotilde to 1B, there is no place for Stanton to go.

brentech

Lost SS, 3B, and 1B for the last qtr of the season. All three big contributors on offense and defense. Explains my collapse down the stretch.

This has been an absolutely pathetic season though I take all the blame.

I'm firing everybody and starting new. There is going to be a new sheriff in town. His name will be ph33nix.

brentech

This has been an absolutely pathetic season though I take all the blame.

I'm firing everybody and starting new. There is going to be a new sheriff in town. His name will be ph33nix.
Can't believe you didn't use a "rise from the ashes" or "rise again" line. It seems obligatory.

Top Bottom