• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

What a beautiful homepage.

Congrats CQ! Any lingering disappointments or frustrations from previous playoff appearances? Gone. Buried. You put 'em in the grave man! ;)

Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

Graveman throws out the first pitch of the 2025 opener! Hatteberg, Reddick, Coco, Jack Cust, Zito... they're all coming back to celebrate the flag hoisting. In the make believe scenario in my brain!

giphy.gif

My new manager won't allow me to change lineups. Thought it was green when I offered him a contract. God fucking damnit ):

Oh my god these lineups. Can't even force anybody to start through player strategy. I don't like this...

brentech

giphy.gif

My new manager won't allow me to change lineups. Thought it was green when I offered him a contract. God fucking damnit ):

Oh my god these lineups. Can't even force anybody to start through player strategy. I don't like this...
While it worked out for me, I had the same issue. I think when they come to the bigs, their control changes or some shit.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Nov 20, 2024
Notes: Most awards have been decided. MVP tomorrow along with arb hearings. Last chance to change or withdraw offers.

A's Bob Melvin and Diamondbacks Chip Hale win manager of the year.

Indians' closer, Alex Claudio, got AL Reliever of the year 2 years in a row now.
29 saves this year. 75 appearances, 120.2 IP, just 27 earned runs for 2.01 ERA.

MVP was today as well. Humphrey won the AL and Bedgood the god won again. Manny finished 3rd, not too bad. Also won his first gold glove since 2019 and 5th overall. Padding those Hall of Fame stats.

Also, it's pretty cool that Parsons retired from HOU to donate a kidney. That's such a weird story line, but adds a lot of depth to the experience, since he actually retired at 31.

Anybody interested in my OF Miles Williams? I'm also open to dealing my other young outfielders not named Dave Phillips.

Looking for pitching of any kind in return.

Anybody interested in my OF Miles Williams? I'm also open to dealing my other young outfielders not named Dave Phillips.

Looking for pitching of any kind in return.

I'd offer you Tanaka but he just retired after failing to meet his performance requirements for another year of contract to vest.

lol

brentech

Sim: 8 days
Date: Nov 28, 2024
Notes:

Interesting development news for Cardinals:
Anyone can take it easy during the offseason, after all, baseball has one of the longest seasons in professional sports. That didn't stop St. Louis Cardinals' third baseman from going above and beyond this offseason in an effort to increase his all around game. Said Maezes, "I have been spending hours on the field each day, trying to make sure I play the best 3B I can. Shagging flies, taking grounders, and doing sprints. I really want to increase my range."

Maezes's Manager, Darin Everson, recently attended one of these work out sessions and was impressed. Said Everson, Travis has really put in a lot of work on the field and it definitely shows. He gets to the ball quicker and makes better plays."

Oh good god, Justin Hooper is going to be a FA this offseason?!?! That's going to be a blood bath. The guy has lead the AL in WAR for 5 straight seasons and is 27 years old.

Interesting development news for Cardinals:
Anyone can take it easy during the offseason, after all, baseball has one of the longest seasons in professional sports. That didn't stop St. Louis Cardinals' third baseman from going above and beyond this offseason in an effort to increase his all around game. Said Maezes, "I have been spending hours on the field each day, trying to make sure I play the best 3B I can. Shagging flies, taking grounders, and doing sprints. I really want to increase my range."

Maezes's Manager, Darin Everson, recently attended one of these work out sessions and was impressed. Said Everson, Travis has really put in a lot of work on the field and it definitely shows. He gets to the ball quicker and makes better plays."

Woo.

Me this year!

But after having had a 30+ mil player, I'm not going down that road again.

Yeah, imo those deals rarely work out to the benefit of the team. Even if you are a high-budget franchise, value is important. Overspending usually leads to misery, sooner or later. It's easy to be tempted by a peach of a FA. Seeing that past performance and imagining that impact on your team can be pretty seductive and hard to resist though.

Yeah, imo those deals rarely work out to the benefit of the team. Even if you are a high-budget franchise, value is important. Overspending usually leads to misery, sooner or later. It's easy to be tempted by a peach of a FA. Seeing that past performance and imagining that impact on your team can be pretty seductive and hard to resist though.
Yep. I'm also happy with my rotation and bullpen.

Now if it was a position player like Bedgood... I would probably violate my own rules there.

Me this year!

But after having had a 30+ mil player, I'm not going down that road again.

Yeah after spending so much on Trout and being so hamstrung because of it it's hard to justify. The problem is salaries are escalating but budgets aren't. And the CPU always signs players for less it feels like.

In non league news, I started a 1987 Mariners franchise to try and see how Edgar would do and every other day my players complain about lack of leadership. On the plus side 17 year old Griffey is already almost AAA ready.

The most exciting thing about the free agent deadline is freeing roster spots. Because I can never get within sniffing distance of affording any player I need. Going into this offseason with more money than I have in years to sign guys. Or as it's otherwise known - "half of what Hooper is asking for".

Oh. I might put Abbott on the market soon, FYI.

Fuck, John Aiello didn't sign the extension and now I have to fight for him on the open market. RIP my first drafted and developed player.

I have $33mm free right now and still can't afford Hooper.

I don't know if this is the proper thread for this, but I'm curious as to people's thoughts on my OOTP 17 set-up.

It's MLB, but with two expansion teams (and one league relocation).

Essentially it's 4 divisions with 4 teams (like NFL).

AL:
N- CHW, CLE, DET, MIN
E- BAL, BOS, NYY, TOR
S- HOU, KC, TB, TEX,
W- COL (league relocation), LAA, OAK, SEA

NL:
N- CHC, CIN, MIL, STL
E- MON (Montreal Expos (expansion/revival)), NYM, PHI, PIT
S- ATL, MIA, NAS (Nashville Musicians (expansion), WAS
W- ARI, LAD, SF, SD

The playoffs are as follows: The top two seeded teams of each league get a Wild Card bye. The remaining teams (seeds 3-6) play in a Wild Card round. The Wild Card round is basically a regular three game series that would (if this were real*) begin the day after game 162 and all three games would be hosted by the higher seeded team (i.e. the divisional champions that did not earn the top seeds). This would be done specifically so the teams with the bye aren't waiting around too long to play (as there would be no travel days during the Wild Card series). The wild card games would begin on that Monday and go to (if needed) that Wednesday, with the Divisional Series games beginning that Friday. At that point, the playoffs would continue as they always have, except I would do away with the home field advantage earned in the All-Star game thing (maybe they could change it to where the All-Star teams are playing for a charity of their choice or something more meaningful than it currently is) and homefield advantage would go to the higher remaining seed (the world series homefield advantage would go to the highest remaining seed or, if both seeds are #1, the team with the better record between the two, and if the records are identical, then it would go to strength of schedule or head to head).

*Obviously, if there was a game 163, the start would be delayed a day.

Brentech - If you could shop Giancarlo Stanton at some point that would be appreciated.

His contract just dropped to 5 mil a year with team options for years 2 and 3 so if anyone is interested (any AL team for your DH), give me a shout.

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Notes: First sim of free agency, for couple will only be 3 day sims.

Curious what happens to my ex third baseman. I won't be trying to sign him. He outpriced himself last season with a crazy jump in .avg, WAR, RBI.

brentech

sim: 5 days
date: Dec 8, 2024
notes: HoF Voting is open
2 contracts of note. We had a 100M contract signed with Toronto by SP C. Green, and Angels signed C. Ponce for 91M. Both 5 year deals.

Brentech - Could you should Kyle Funkhouser for me please? Thanks!

KC - SS - Ricky Aracena
WAS - LF - Michael A Taylor

Damn, I didn't think guys would sign so soon. Less reaction time for teams than I'd hoped.

Any chance we can do one day at a time or something? There was a guy I was negotiating with and it went from "give me this" to "I signed with someone else" in the same sim. :\

Damn, I didn't think guys would sign so soon. Less reaction time for teams than I'd hoped.

Any chance we can do one day at a time or something? There was a guy I was negotiating with and it went from "give me this" to "I signed with someone else" in the same sim. :\

This happens quite a bit. Best course of action is, when you find a guy you really need, overpay a bit for insurance.

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Date: Dec 14, 2024
Notes: Handful of mid-high money signings.
Do we move to 7 day sims tomorrow, or do a couple more days of 3 day sims?

Top Bottom