• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Dec 21, 2024
Notes: RULE 5 is in a couple days. Go thru your roster and make sure you have protected any players you don't want to lose by placing on your 40 man roster.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Dec 28, 2024
Notes: ***********RULE 5 is in a couple days. Go thru your roster and make sure you have protected any players you don't want to lose by placing on your 40 man roster.************

Yo Twins, can I borrow $20 for a pizza?

Lol, I must have missed something. Did we sign Hooper or something?

Edit:

Wow, I'm surprised we got him. I had absolutely ZERO intention of going after him at the beginning of FA, but as he continued to sit out there, I thought I'd float an offer since I had some room to work with. I didn't think it would be good enough, but I'm really happy to have him. According to the blurb, his wife talked him into it. She's a keeper. :p

Subtraction from a division rival and addition to your own club is never a bad thing.

Hope he works out for you. I offered him at the start but after sleeping on it I realized I offered too much. I withdrew my offer and he never wanted to deal with me again. Oh well.

Lol, I must have missed something. Did we sign Hooper or something?

Edit:

Wow, I'm surprised we got him. I had absolutely ZERO intention of going after him at the beginning of FA, but as he continued to sit out there, I thought I'd float an offer since I had some room to work with. I didn't think it would be good enough, but I'm really happy to have him. According to the blurb, his wife talked him into it. She's a keeper. :p

Subtraction from a division rival and addition to your own club is never a bad thing.

Congrats on the signing, that looks like a hell of a deal. I was trying to scramble to put an offer on him last night but for some reason I couldn't get enough cash available.

Hope he works out for you. I offered him at the start but after sleeping on it I realized I offered too much. I withdrew my offer and he never wanted to deal with me again. Oh well.

I learned that the hard way early on as well. Don't pull an offer if you think you want a guy, which means make sure you're happy with your original offer. You can always raise it if they ask for more money, but yanking it makes players sour, it seems.

Congrats on the signing, that looks like a hell of a deal. I was trying to scramble to put an offer on him last night but for some reason I couldn't get enough cash available.

Thanks. I didn't have any expectation to land him. I've made low offers to big fish before, and I've always been met with "Yeah, no. Cough up the coin chump." type responses. When I saw what Hooper was asking and entered the contract screen, his demand was a little less than the $35 mil it showed on the FA page - I think he was asking around $30 Mil when I opened the 'offer contract' page. I thought, oh well, I'd like to make my best offer anyway, just for giggles. And then prior to the most recent sim, it indicated "Favors Offer" for him on my pending free agents. I thought, well, I'm sure I'll get out-bid, given his original contract expectations. But I guess his wife liked me. ;)

I almost deleted his requested 750K Cy Young Bonus request, given his past performance. But then, I thought, if he really performs for me at that level, I'll eat that hit. I gave him smaller incentives for IP and All-star selections totaling around $200K, if I remember right. So all in all, he could make about 23 M per season. Still a bargain, if he continues at a high level imo.

The down side for me is that $ will be tight for a while. Several guys I wanted to extend will have to settle for arbitration deals over the next few seasons, but I feel it's still worth it. I think this props open a nice window for the Twins for the foreseeable future.

Edit: And another upside was the bump in fan interest. Twins fan interest was @ 97 early last season, but after the season and letting go of Nick Gordon and Stephen Piscotty, it had plummeted all the way to 77. The signing of Hooper bumped it back up to 86. I feel like it ought to be higher though. Going back to last off-season, I've now brought in Yamamoto and Hooper in mega deals AND dropped ticket prices by over 7%. Fans ought to be storming the gates.

I learned that the hard way early on as well. Don't pull an offer if you think you want a guy, which means make sure you're happy with your original offer. You can always raise it if they ask for more money, but yanking it makes players sour, it seems.

Yep. Definitely a learning lesson, but on the other hand I'm glad I'm not paying him as much money as I originally offered. Hooper's loss! lol

brentech

Sim: 2 Days
Date: Dec 30, 2024
Notes: Tomorrow, the Rule 5 draft will be run. To draft a player(s), go to the GOBL button on the top, RULE 5 DRAFT POOL, then click on the Draft List tab. Drag and drop players to your list.
Remember, this player must remain on your ACTIVE ROSTER for the duration of the (unless injured), otherwise they have to be cut.

So I'm guessing we shouldn't put together a full list, but only draft enough players as we have room for on the 40-man?

Nope. Rule 5 draftees have to stay on your active 25 man roster for the full season or they are returned to the team they were drafted from. Only take guys that you think you'd keep on the roster for the full season. These guys cannot be sent to your minors the first year.

Nope. Rule 5 draftees have to stay on your active 25 man roster for the full season or they are returned to the team they were drafted from. Only take guys that you think you'd keep on the roster for the full season. These guys cannot be sent to your minors the first year.

Oh, damn. Okay, thanks for the clarification. Definitely going to be a short list, then.

Oh, damn. Okay, thanks for the clarification. Definitely going to be a short list, then.

Usually, unless you're the real life Padres then you take like 5 guys.

I like to find high POT relievers and hide one in my bullpen. One of my best starters was a rule 5 guy. Pitched only 10 games that first year, then went to the minors for two seasons and the into the rotation where he's been a mainstay. Also a good place to find a backup position player.

I loved having him but I really needed somebody who can play center. I had like 4 left fielders

I actually wish I had kept him to play RF as all I have are LFers, alas.

Also I noticed the Cubs traded Kris Bryant to the Yankees last season for a top SP prospect, Bryant then blew out his ACL and became a FA, then turned around and re-signed with the Cubs.

Stay losing Yankees.

Usually, unless you're the real life Padres then you take like 5 guys.

I like to find high POT relievers and hide one in my bullpen. One of my best starters was a rule 5 guy. Pitched only 10 games that first year, then went to the minors for two seasons and the into the rotation where he's been a mainstay. Also a good place to find a backup position player.

Hahaha.
Yeah, I'm looking mostly for a good position backup or a pitcher who I can put in the pen. My bullpen was terrible last year so I figure it can't get much worse.

Also I noticed the Cubs traded Kris Bryant to the Yankees last season for a top SP prospect, Bryant then blew out his ACL and became a FA, then turned around and re-signed with the Cubs.

Stay losing Yankees.

Lol, awesome

brentech

I actually wish I had kept him to play RF as all I have are LFers, alas.

Stay losing Yankees.
That's amazing

brentech

Sim: 1 Days
Date: Dec 31, 2024
Notes: Rule 5 has been completed. Back to 7 day sims tomorrow, maybe a couple days before going to 14 day sims.
SO MAKE YOUR BEST OFFERS ON FREE AGENTS NOW!

edit: I'll run the LAD/ATL trade tomorrow. Only thing on my mind today was getting the Rule 5 complete.

Hey there OOTP GAF community! We announced a Virtual Cover contest where you can vote on what the "Perfect Team" would look like. The 11 winning players and 1 winning manager then get enshrined on our first-ever cover.

Take a look and, if interested, vote!

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...contest-how-to-vote/jnw7sje20frm1xwlyr928z1cb

Thanks for being such a great community for our game.
Survey taken.

It was on my to-do list to protect Nate Clayton. Oops. His stats may not have warranted it, but he's still got plenty of potential. Well, hopefully he does well for Oaktown. I had no reason not to stick him on the 40, I just let it lapse. Hopefully I don't have to writhe in agony for it one day. :p

Stay losing Yankees.

Outside of my own team's success, the Yankees ongoing failures have provided my greatest GOBL enjoyment.

I got my 2nd choice. I must have selected or instead of and and didn't get my 3rd choice who I don't believe was drafted. Now I can't remember who he is because of course I wouldn't put him on a shortlist or anything. I'm sure he wouldn't have worked out but he was an interested RP with good numbers in AAA I think.

Was comparing some of my pitchers since I'm putting some real thought in to my rotation and saw that the #3 career comparable for Sergio Quintero is Cannonball Titcomb, a guy who pitched from 1886 to 1890 and has a hilarious name.

Glad you got who you were targeting. He honestly wasn't on my radar, in terms of protection, but hopefully he can be a useful piece of an Astros resurgence.

I'll still have like 3 pitchers on the DL on opening day, so any arm is helpful. I'm not expecting a ton in the stats department, but he should be a good guy in the clubhouse, raising spirits on the way to another 70 win season.

Even my good starters have been marginally disappointing. Best I could ever manage was a staff of #3 starters, and a freak season from Ponce.

There's a good reason I've kept Mark Grace around as my hitting coach, though.

Rommel

Even my good starters have been marginally disappointing. Best I could ever manage was a staff of #3 starters, and a freak season from Ponce.

There's a good reason I've kept Mark Grace around as my hitting coach, though.

Should trade me one of your young bats for one of my young starters :D

Top Bottom