• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

2 injuries already, how awesome.

TRADE:

St. Louis Cardinals Receive:
Jonathan Meola - MLB

Houston Astros Receive:
Pancho Gonzalez - State College Spikes (S A)

2 injuries already, how awesome.

TRADE:

St. Louis Cardinals Receive:
Jonathan Meola - MLB

Houston Astros Receive:
Pancho Gonzalez - State College Spikes (S A)

Confirmed!

See ya, Jonny. Though you were never quite the player I hoped you'd be, I was always amused that OOTP thought you were black and had some weird, twisty mustache.

The spring training of death. 3rd injury to a starter so far. I knew Irving Rowe had a fragile injury history but I thought he'd at least make it through part of the season without getting hurt. It's only for a few weeks though.

Time to fire my trainer again!

Commish, perhaps you could pass Gabriel Valdez through the trade-o-matic?

Fellow owners, 62 OVR OSA rated SP Gabriel Valdez on the market, 1 year left at $9m.

Looking for 2 AA or lower prospects, would be happy to provide a list o' guys from anyone's system if you're interested.

Good luck fellow humans.

Roster is cut down to 25 and looking pretty good. Biggest concern is my bullpen since I went cheap there, but I think I'll be okay. If things come to it I'll move a starter in to my closer job since I'm pretty deep in back of the rotation types.

brentech

I brought in too many new bullpen players. Had to make the choice to wait on some guys for poor play or injury.
Had a new outfielder and infielder both make the final cut that I wasn't even really aware of in my minors.

Good luck fellow humans.

Roster is cut down to 25 and looking pretty good. Biggest concern is my bullpen since I went cheap there, but I think I'll be okay. If things come to it I'll move a starter in to my closer job since I'm pretty deep in back of the rotation types.
Keep the Cardinals in mind in the future if you want to upgrade your pen, I have an abundance of riches.

Damn lost my game 1-0 in 13 innings. My manager let my starter go out in the 10th inning and let my closer pitch 3 innings.

4 players should be coming off the DL after this next sim. Can't start worst than last year was 0-8 and still made the playoffs.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Apr 16, 2025
Notes: First full week of the season

I haven't even seen the sim yet. But I know Brent's uploaded. And I know I'm going to go winless.

Just got to it. Brother in law and wife had their kid the other day, we made a visit on their first day back home.

Rommel

Week 2 and I'm already converting a young utility OFer to play 1B.

Things are going well, as usual.

I have Augusto Cruz available for relatively cheap. Or I might be willing to move Meza if the deal was right. I had a surprise player come up @ 1B that is challenging for playing time.

I have Augusto Cruz available for relatively cheap. Or I might be willing to move Meza if the deal was right. I had a surprise player come up @ 1B that is challenging for playing time.

Well, my SD thinks the kid I just converted is a 59/71 at 1B so I think I'll see how he does before looking outside. It's not like I'm a challenge to contend this year. Gouge is just a bit of a dead end, so I might as well look at an upside play.

Pretty good start to the year. Carson and Danner have been excellent at the top of my rotation and my bullpen has been solid. My top prospect SS Willie Baker is also crushing AA. My top pitching prospect Dan Taylor has been filthy in AAA. I don't know if he's a starter long term, but I'm liking the early results. My team really just needs one of my young guys to develop in to a star. That's what I need to get over the top.

Much better start to the season than last year for me. I know Mahtook isn't gonna stay batting .400 though, I'm just hoping my bullpen stays intact this year and we avoid the "wahh the locker room sucks" death spiral.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Apr 16, 2025
Notes: Lindor no longer rated in the 70s. Life as I know it is ending...but through 51 AB he is still avg .471 this season.

Nice start to the season! Gonna be heartbreaking once we start losing and miss the playoffs.

Damn Luis Gonzalez barely made it into my rotation last season and now my manager has moved him to the #1 spot.

Irving Rowe is a bum

Damn shitty sim. Pitching has been great so far we can't hit for average though. But hitting home runs for the first time really. Jimmy O'Brien has 7 home runs and 7 RBI's lol

Fan interest went up from a 84 to a 93 by giving Freddie a one year extension! Time to increase those ticket prices again

Irving Rowe still a bum

So the kid I got in the trade for Cody Ponce is looking pretty good in high A Ball:

.342/.373/.534, of course its the California league, land of inflated offense but stiiiiil.

Meanwhile my ML team is suffering because the two spots I had very little depth both got hurt.

John Aiello turning into a third baseman has left me with a void at shortstop.

So the kid I got in the trade for Cody Ponce is looking pretty good in high A Ball:

.342/.373/.534, of course its the California league, land of inflated offense but stiiiiil.

Meanwhile my ML team is suffering because the two spots I had very little depth both got hurt.

John Aiello turning into a third baseman has left me with a void at shortstop.

I've made some pretty killer trades in my time.

I would not count the Ponce deal among them.

In other news, Abbott is hurt. So it's finally Winker's time to shine! Gotta field at least one $15MM player at any given.

Poor start to the year. Everything just imploded the last 2 weeks... yeash.

Figueroa isn't embarrassing himself at 2B, so there's something.

What a sim. What a time.

And my OF is all playing well, my RF prodigy just got off the DL. Literally don't know what to do with this many OF. Someone trade for one not named Dave Philips!!!

brentech

So far my pitching staff isn't working together like they have been in recent seasons. Also, both my 1B players are really having a meh year to date. I'm like 2-3 sims from moving my roster for the future.

I'll just pay Lindor all the money for winning a WS. Winning one with him was what I really cared about.

I've made some pretty killer trades in my time.

I would not count the Ponce deal among them.

In other news, Abbott is hurt. So it's finally Winker's time to shine! Gotta field at least one $15MM player at any given.

Figueroa isn't embarrassing himself at 2B, so there's something.

Ponce pitched well for me and I ended up with the money to sign him for what he signed for, but he asked for more than I had at the time.

Honestly at the time I couldn't believe you were letting me take Gomez. Also my scout said he's ready for AA so he got promoted. He might be the next Seattle CF super star.

Ponce pitched well for me and I ended up with the money to sign him for what he signed for, but he asked for more than I had at the time.

Honestly at the time I couldn't believe you were letting me take Gomez. Also my scout said he's ready for AA so he got promoted. He might be the next Seattle CF super star.

Yeah, Whitehead was the 'prize' of that deal on my end, but he's only marginally different from Gomez, neutralizing much of the value. I gave him the edge due to his work ethic, I think. And Whitehead seemed like he had the clearer path at the time. I believe I had Figueroa locked-in at CF (before moving him to LF, then finally trading him), so having a guy slightly more suited to corner OF to take over for Abbott or Fisher seemed like the stronger play.

Whitehead still has a decent potential rating, but he's looking more and more like a bit of a bust.

We're leading the division and Taijuan 'Sky' Walker is still unhappy about the team record.

He's also got a 0.96 ERA after 28 innings pitched and he's ANGRY about his performance.

What the fuck man. I get not being THRILLED about walking more people than ever, but angry? :\

Yeah, Whitehead was the 'prize' of that deal on my end, but he's only marginally different from Gomez, neutralizing much of the value. I gave him the edge due to his work ethic, I think. And Whitehead seemed like he had the clearer path at the time. I believe I had Figueroa locked-in at CF (before moving him to LF, then finally trading him), so having a guy slightly more suited to corner OF to take over for Abbott or Fisher seemed like the stronger play.

Whitehead still has a decent potential rating, but he's looking more and more like a bit of a bust.

I've looked back at some of my trades and been amazed at guys I valued highly and didn't want to give up and how they ended up not amounting to much.

So far the only trade that I feel hasn't worked great is Irving Rowe to the Dodgers for a pitcher Who had lower potential than Rowe. The guy I got was okay in AAA and hurt twice since the end of last season. Rowe crushed it in LA and I could've used him last year in right. Alas.

Biggest problem I've had is not being able to afford guys like
Buxton or Ponce once they became free agents.

Biggest problem I've had is not being able to afford guys like
Buxton or Ponce once they became free agents.

Being a RL Brewers fan has prepared me to run a team where I can almost never extend my players into their FA years. It's one reason Figueroa had to go (or rather, why I was OK letting him go). I wanted to extend him long term, but it became very evident that that was never going to happen. He's going to hit FA at 27 and want $300MM/10yrs.

So, if anyone wants a (very greedy) C/DH that's good for 40 bombs a year, Octavio Morales will be available at some point in the not too distant future.

Top Bottom