• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Rommel

I probably could've extended more of my players if I hadn't given Mike Trout a jillion dollars.

That's been my pain while dealing with Ozuna's deal... I'm done paying the him after this year. At least Trout produces... in my mind Ozuna just Pablo Sandaval'd it up.

I payed Jesse Winker $332k per AB last season. I didn't even attempt to have Brent shop him, because I knew I'd get nothing.

Alex Abbott has a player option after next season. I'm really curious if he exercises it. My payroll is low, and if he left, who knows what mistakes I'd be capable of making on the FA market.

I probably could've extended more of my players if I hadn't given Mike Trout a jillion dollars.

That's been my pain while dealing with Ozuna's deal... I'm done paying the him after this year. At least Trout produces... in my mind Ozuna just Pablo Sandaval'd it up.

I payed Jesse Winker $332k per AB last season. I didn't even attempt to have Brent shop him, because I knew I'd get nothing.

Alex Abbott has a player option after next season. I'm really curious if he exercises it. My payroll is low, and if he left, who knows what mistakes I'd be capable of making on the FA market.

I'm paying de Jong an obscene amount of money (either $35 or $38 million) and my manager won't even put him in the rotation. He turned him into a setup guy. I try and force his position to SP and nope, manager just puts him back in the pen. This is the one time that I wish I didn't have a manager with full control.

Rommel

I'm paying de Jong an obscene amount of money (either $35 or $38 million) and my manager won't even put him in the rotation. He turned him into a setup guy. I try and force his position to SP and nope, manager just puts him back in the pen. This is the one time that I wish I didn't have a manager with full control.

woo a $30+ mil setup guy... Detroit making it rain

Speaking of setup guys...

http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/players/player_29073.html

Trevor Rosenthal is not an odd year pitcher it seems...

Interesting to see how his SB's totals went off a cliff in 2020. Of course that was when we switched to the newest version of OOTP and SB's in general plummeted.

Did they?

Rich, was there some adjustment to AI or something regarding the running game from last version to this?

Offense has been horrible since everybody came off the DL and I can't even change my lineups. Pitching has been great though. Hope I'm not fucking up allowing Ricardo Sanchez back in the rotation.

Irving Rowe still a bum.

Pretty lifeless performance so far. These slow starts are what kills me. I've been thinking about canning my manager but the guys I have pegged as his replacement in the minors haven't performed. He's definitely gone if I don't make the playoffs or if things start looking worse.

And the one move I had left to shake things up was promoting my stud prospect Dan Taylor, who just went down for 3 months this sim.

Finally had a decent sim, got me a bit closer. Really lost a lot having 2 of my starting OFers go down in the first sim and having to re-arrange the entire lineup. I was really aiming for the playoffs this year, I'm fairly confident I have the team to do it.

I was getting excited about the draft as it's a pretty good pool but then I saw I don't have a pick until the middle of the 2nd round :(

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: May 14, 2025
Notes:

I've been lucky enough to have really solid pitching the majority of our league. Seem to be going the other direction this year. Had 4 guys in my bullpen over 5 ERA, along with a starter. Time to make some changes and see if I can salvage the season.

My team is a dumpster fire. I've never had six players come to me with clubhouse complaints in a single sim before. Abbott got hurt and everything just went to shit.

Just a bad year for human players in general from the looks of it.

Except for Det and Atl. And Oak too, I guess.

My team is smoke and mirrors at this point. 11th in the AL in starters ERA, 13th in bullpen ERA, 12th in batting average (although 5th in OBP). 2nd in home runs though so my team is long ball dependent and I don't think they can keep it up.

My team is smoke and mirrors at this point. 11th in the AL in starters ERA, 13th in bullpen ERA, 12th in batting average (although 5th in OBP). 2nd in home runs though so my team is long ball dependent and I don't think they can keep it up.

I kinda feel like the opposite is true with my team. I mean, my starters are typically lousy, but not extraordinarily so. My hitters aren't embarrassing themselves, which is fine since a guy with 2 years of experience is considered a seasoned vet in my lineup. Before this winless, garbage sim, my pythag record was near .500.

I'm hopeful. My team is very young. I have a bunch of guys in the minors; at least one of them will turn into something. And I have a giant fistful of draft picks this year (and more coming by the looks of it) to keep the pipeline full. Things can't stay bleak forever.

you know you had an absolutely terrible sim when one of your top 3 performers for the sim bat .190

my prized RF got injured on a rehab assignment -_____________________-

brentech

Had to leave the house as this sim was running so I didn't get to see the results.
Made 2 pitching changes. Debating bringing up a 22 year old and see how he does.

Fired my manager and promoted my guy in A ball Shelley Duncan. Of course as soon as he's promoted his attributes fucking changed and I have no control over my line-up/rotation. I hope this is something that's fixed in the next version. I don't want to have to fire this guy and look for someone else because I really wanted to see how he does but giving up control sucks.

brentech

Fired my manager and promoted my guy in A ball Shelley Duncan. Of course as soon as he's promoted his attributes fucking changed and I have no control over my line-up/rotation. I hope this is something that's fixed in the next version. I don't want to have to fire this guy and look for someone else because I really wanted to see how he does but giving up control sucks.
Yep. That's what happened to me as well, but again, it worked out as I made that change right before my daughter was born and I didn't have as much time to work over my week to week lineups.

brentech

Fucccccck I lost my right fielder for 6 weeks, injured running the bases.
On the bright side, I went 4-2 and climbed in the division chase.

Downside - one of my RP that appeared in 36 G, 54 IP, had a 2.83 ERA last season. This year he has 9 G, 13 IP, 8.10 ERA. Big drop off over his career. Last year was his best year, but otherwise he has been in the Bigs since 2018 and has been great for me. Sucks to see this happen.
Same pitching coach the last 3 seasons.

Really wasn't expecting the bottom to fall out for the Twins this year...especially after signing Hooper. Team can't do anything well after being very balanced - decent to excellent in all phases for the past several seasons. I know we let Gordon walk, but I can't believe he was the glue holding everything together. Going to make a few small changes and see how they work out. I was certainly not anticipating this though.

brentech

Really wasn't expecting the bottom to fall out for the Twins this year...especially after signing Hooper. Team can't do anything well after being very balanced - decent to excellent in all phases for the past several seasons. I know we let Gordon walk, but I can't believe he was the glue holding everything together. Going to make a few small changes and see how they work out. I was certainly not anticipating this though.
Me too friend.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: May 28, 2025
Notes: First Year Player Draft is in 2 days. Check the draft pool and make sure you make your list if so desired.

Note on Cleveland. Hitting and runs scored is fantastic, but pitching is letting me down, particularly the bullpen.
I've promoted my backup catcher of the last 2 seasons into the full-time starter role. He's only rated a 21 by both my head scout and OSA, but is hitting at a .340 clip this season with 2.1 WAR. I think these situations are one of my favorite things. Just finding guys that get the job done.
He was promoted because in his first year as a backup, he hit .310, then .370 last season, with ~ 90 AB each season.

He was an IFA signing back in 2015, for $1M.

Colt Gorman is on pace for 29 loses. Can't put him in the pen, but at least I can send his bum ass to the minors. Guy does not pitch up to what my scout thinks of him, but he at least used to be a reasonable 4th or 5th SP.

Man, I feel really bad about Hooper. He was getting better every year, but now that he's controlled by a human, he's merely decent.

Well, I've seen enough. Time to sell.

I know I put Luis Solis on the market only to pull him back before last season started, but I'm definitely ready to make some moves now. He's got 2 more arb years and is a great left-handed power bat who's better suited to DH than first-base, but can play there if you don't mind sticking a questionable fielder @ 1st. If you think you're a bat away from making a run this season, Solis may be the answer you're looking for, I believe. Former ROTY and broke the single season GOBL RBI record last year. Excellent all around with the stick.

Just looking for prospects. I'm flexible in terms of position/level. If you're interested, let's talk.

I'm also putting Trey Wingenter out there. He can be an adequate 4th or 5th right-handed starter...mayyyybe 3rd in the right spot, or provide decent long or middle relief out of the pen. Again, just looking at prospects. Not wanting to take on any salaries or big-league contracts for any moves.

If there's any interest in either of these guys, I'm ready to move quickly.

Man, I feel really bad about Hooper. He was getting better every year, but now that he's controlled by a human, he's merely decent.

Several of my pitchers were moaning about lack of veteran leadership, but I only let Ken Giles and Ronnie Glenn go in the off-season. The vibe of the staff has been pretty horrible overall though. Hopefully I can get it fixed before the start of next season.

My pitching has been excellent the past few years, and the only really significant move I made was adding Hooper. I should have known that would be the catalyst for implosion, lol. I guess too much of a good thing is inevitably a bad thing.

Top Bottom