• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black - Season 1 on Netflix - Every sentence is a story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't care that much.

As much as I enjoy the chemistry between Schilling and Prepon, the fact that they were placed in the same prison was one of the more unbelievable aspects of the show.

Agreed.

The rest of the cast of characters is so great that I don't even think I'll miss Prepon at all.

Dunlop

I'm a little bummed out about this news. The Alex/Piper story line is very intriguing and I was looking forward to seeing where they would take their relationship.

I'm not sure why they built so much of the season around their story if she wasn't at least locked in for another season

edit: not confirmed?

http://ca.eonline.com/news/449063/o...f-laura-prepon-s-exit-inaccurate-says-netflix

"It's not accurate," a Netflix rep insisted. "Our season is still developing and nothing is confirmed."

kharma45

Finished it tonight, great show. Keep 'em coming Netflix.

Good performances from Biggs and Janeway too, helped me see past them as their American Pie and Voyager characters.

Diablos

WHY IS SHE NOT A REGULAR

OMGWTF

I wonder if she wanted more money?

If they cut her from the story it's gonna be hard to get it back on track.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This show still has plenty of narrative material to work with without the Piper/Alex relationship.

It's not even the strongest part of the show.

Maybe.
But the Alex/Nicky thing could have been interesting. Especially if it turned into a Alex/Nicky vs Piper situation.

Maybe.
But the Alex/Nicky thing could have been interesting. Especially if it turned into a Alex/Nicky vs Piper situation.

I'd just prefer the show to be a series of intertwined journeys of redemption and self-discovery rather than a show that relies on cheap love triangles for drama.

Rosenberg's article put forward a pretty decent idea: Orange is the New Black will simply cease to be about Piper after a year or two, and the cast will shift as storylines bring in new castmembers and new stories.

Basically, Piper's story might only have so much juice in it anyway, if Netflix wants to keep it alive, allowing the show to become more of an anthology might be a good call.

Rosenberg's article put forward a pretty decent idea: Orange is the New Black will simply cease to be about Piper after a year or two, and the cast will shift as storylines bring in new castmembers and new stories.

Basically, Piper's story might only have so much juice in it anyway, if Netflix wants to keep it alive, allowing the show to become more of an anthology might be a good call.

I like the supporting and all but I love Piper. Not sure if I'd watch without her.

Just finished season 1 and....damn, that was disappointing. I think I'm being too picky, but I felt like too much of the drama was introduced and unnatural. There came to be a very common pattern with which each episode happened and by the time the final episode ended---I couldn't care less. I don't like any of the characters, so why keep watching?

- OITNB’s Laura Prepon on Dancing to ‘Milkshake,’ Singing Meatloaf, and the Mystery of Real-Life Alex

The interview itself is worth checking out, and they also lead with this tidbit:
Editor's Note: This interview was done before Buzzfeed reported that Prepon would not be returning to the show as a series regular. Netflix has since weighed in by saying, "Our season is still developing and nothing is confirmed." When we asked Prepon — who was in L.A. when we spoke — if she was returning to the show, she said, "Yeah, of course. It's just scheduling. It's all scheduling, girl."

A belated thanks to you for posting to these - I've been staying out of the thread what with the spoiler policy and by somewhat slow pace necessitated by the reviews, but will be curious to read over some of y'all's conversation in the weeks ahead.
No problem. Looking forward to your final installment next week.

ToxicAdam

Prepon can't really act. I'm not sure how she could be anyone's favorite, especially considering all the great characters on the show.

Even though she's not a great actor, there is a certain charisma she has where your eyes are drawn to her when she is on screen.

-- /// --

I'm into the 5th episode of this show and absolutely love it. I really appreciate the tone they set with the series. It's a straight-up comedy, but there are enough touches of realism in it where it doesn't seem completely absurd. It's like a Reno 911-lite.

Diablos

Even though she's not a great actor, there is a certain charisma she has where your eyes are drawn to her when she is on screen.

-- /// --

I'm into the 5th episode of this show and absolutely love it. I really appreciate the tone they set with the series. It's a straight-up comedy, but there are enough touches of realism in it where it doesn't seem completely absurd. It's like a Reno 911-lite.
Haha, wait until the final ep.

MINDFUCK

someday

Banned
Wow, I just mowed through this in last few days. I loved it! There are so many great characters and stories and I can't wait for next season. I gotta admit, I enjoyed the Piper/Alex story line but I think it's ended on a realistic note. Really glad to see that Prepon
(Hot Donna!)
will still be a part of Season 2. At this point, Piper is cool but the other inmates are way more interesting to me.

This is one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen. It's completely unwatchable.I can't believe it's as highly rated by critics as it is and is getting as much buzz as it's getting.

I'm about 8 episodes in. I don't understand why Piper is the main character. Several other characters are vastly more compelling and I think Netflix played it safe by making Piper the main character because she's the one that "the average person" can relate to.

I'm about 8 episodes in. I don't understand why Piper is the main character. Several other characters are vastly more compelling and I think Netflix played it safe by making Piper the main character because she's the one that "the average person" can relate to.

It's based on a book that's a semi-true story written by Piper Kerman. I don't know how much of it is real though, since it's so absurd.

This is one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen. It's completely unwatchable.I can't believe it's as highly rated by critics as it is and is getting as much buzz as it's getting.

It's a great show, you just might need to readjust your expectations. It's not perfect by any means, but it's not unwatchable either.

Laekon

I just started this show last week and I find it pretty good. I'm really into the background flash backs used to build characters. It was what made the first season of Lost one of the best shows ever.

ivysaur12

Banned
I honestly don't care that much.

As much as I enjoy the chemistry between Schilling and Prepon, the fact that they were placed in the same prison was one of the more unbelievable aspects of the show.

How many federal womens's prisons are there? Unless I'm reading this wrong, it really seems like there aren't many options:

http://www.bop.gov/locations/female_facilities.jsp

Pro-tip: it's usually a good idea to lay out your criticisms than hyperbolic statements on unwatchability.

I think the only thing based on real life is Piper/Alex pre-prison stuff. Everything and everyone else was created for the show.

I haven't read it, but a few of the characters/situations are apparently based on people from the book.

Prepon can't really act. I'm not sure how she could be anyone's favorite, especially considering all the great characters on the show.

More adorable hyperbole!

someday

Banned
On a lighter note, has anyone noticed that this show has a pretty obvious reference to a TV show in each episode?

- Thanksgiving episode, they're talking about killing a bald eagle on Thanksgiving or something and still eating it (my girlfriend says this happens in Shameless)

- Two characters are talking about the problems they have to deal with (maybe in the showers), when one character says "I have things.... STUFF". I am absolutely convinced that this is a Walking Dead reference. I even said "stuff" out loud the same time character did without even knowing they were going to say it. It's such an awkward line if it wasn't referencing that awesome moment in Walking Dead, to the point where I am convinced that it's a reference.

- There were at least one more that I can't recall (possibly two more)

Now that I've typed this all out, I can see people reading this and thinking I'm insane, but I swear this is a thing
OMG, I swear I thought the same thing while watching it. When she adds the "Stuff" part I thought it had to be a Walking Dead reference. It was too deliberate.
I remember the Shameless reference too. Another fantastic show.

ivysaur12

Banned
Not really. I've never seen her give a decent performance in anything.

She was fine on That 70s Show and was fine in Orange in the New Black, so yes, complete hyperbole. There are many actresses more talented than her; there's also a very long list of those less talented.

I just started watching this out of boredom and mannnn there is a lot of nudity in the first episode. Quite enjoyed it though, not sure why it's rated a 3/5 on Netflix.

I've watched the first 2 episodes and I'm about to bail out. I can't think of anything positive to say other than "yay, roles for women". Casting is possible the worst I've seen, just completely wrong across the board. Performances are also atrocious although I'm more prepared to blame the direction being giving than the actors themselves. Tonally the show is all over the map and completely fails as both a drama and a "dark" comedy.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've watched the first 2 episodes and I'm about to bail out. I can't think of anything positive to say other than "yay, roles for women". Casting is possible the worst I've seen, just completely wrong across the board. Performances are also atrocious although I'm more prepared to blame the direction being giving than the actors themselves. Tonally the show is all over the map and completely fails as both a drama and a "dark" comedy.

Wut, casting is phenomenal, and the performances are great, except Biggs who is just kind of there.

ivysaur12

Banned

The casting is pretty much impeccable.

ivysaur12

Banned
I see it more as a light comedy, borderline absurdist at times. Everyone is playing a caricature and there really aren't any 'high stakes' in the stories. Reno 911-lite.

The second episode has to do with the lead literally starving because of a social faux pas she made. There's almost nothing about the show I'd call a "light comedy."

Messi

Disagree completely on every point.

ivysaur12

Banned
It didn't seem that dramatic.

What constitutes high stakes? Our main character couldn't eat. She was starving. It was rarely played for laughs. I'm using this as an example because it was an example of how the show uses seemingly low stake situations in high stake ways due to the unique setting. I can't agree or understand a reading of the show that "the stakes were low".

Calling it a light comedy is more factually incorrect.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I would have a hard time calling it a light comedy. All of the prisoner's backstories were played straight, and dramatic.
Characters leaving and/or dying were dramatic, yeah there was some fun when Taystee left, but it was still mostly emotional. Piper/Alex's relationship, Piper in SHU, her shit with Pensatucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom