• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black - Season 1 on Netflix - Every sentence is a story

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
I think that
Piper's killing of Pennsatucky was meant to show just how much she has changed. This prim little girl from the city really has become just as scary as anybody else in Litchfield.

Well....
Tara Manning's character is not dead.
So it's safe to assume the Piper will do more time, but likely not much, much more.

- J - D -

I mainlined the first 5 episodes over the past couple days. It was all gravy until the chicken episode. What the hell were they thinking? It's so tonally jarring from what the previous episodes had established that it makes me wonder what this show will be like for the remainder of the season. I knew going in that it had some humorous aspects, but the first four episodes felt like they drew a line, and the chicken bullshit kinda crossed over it.

Regardless, I'll keep watching. I really enjoy the show otherwise.

Some of you were talking about Morello on the previous page. That accent combined with her voice is so adorable, I can't take it. It's a very natural performance. 've never seen the actress in anything else before this. I wonder if she's like that in all her roles.

LadyRiven

I just devoured this show this past week. I am heartbroken that I have to wait for the next season to see more. What show will I tide myself over with? Well, I've never seen any of Weeds...

I love how well-written and developed and acted every character in OITNB is, I can hardly stand it.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
They nailed casting in this show. Aside from possibly Laura, and Jason Biggs, I'm having a hard time imagining anyone could be any better.

kehs

Banned
The actress playing piper really surprised me halfway through the season. I almost stopped watching two episodes in because she was really annoying me. I can't pinpoint why though.

Then the show turned a corner and her range was awesome to see.

I'm not sure how to feel about the last episode. Healy is so pathetic though.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Just finished it. Loved the Let's Chips cameo... (Community uses the same fake brand).

Also, Piper didn't
kill Tiffany, she simply figured out what she needed: a new set of teeth
... The conversation at the lunch table where she brought up how she won over Red served as a bit of foreshadowing there.

Also,
Tiffany herself said that the government gave other prisons better dental care, but not where they were.. This was Pipers creative way of making things square.

I have no idea how they'll write around it all though. I think if Healey ignored Piper, he will feign ignorance at the fallout of the end of the last ep.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Also, don't get the hate about the chicken episode. I loved it. It provided the best quote from the entire season:

All I wanted was to meet the chicken that was smarter than other chickens and absorb its power.

Amazing. :D

I'd like to know this as well, same thought went through my mind since I swear I just heard it elsewhere as well.

Earlier in the season it's the joke Red used to try (and failed horribly) to fit in with the mob wives.

Carcetti

10 episodes in I'm hoping it'll be my new favorite prison series to replace the good ol' Oz. Can't see why anyone would hate the chicken episode either...

Dany

Banned
I've got to say I wasn't a huge fan of the first episode but it definitely does get better. For me, it's the secondary characters in the prison that make this show and you don't get to see their chemistry in the pilot.

Maybe I should try again, The pacing from the pilot wasn't strong at all.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Maybe I should try again, The pacing from the pilot wasn't strong at all.

You should watch the next episode. Did you finish the first episode? I think the ending of it is enough to grab your attention. As the show goes on they start introducing really great characters and showing their backgrounds.

NPR's Fresh Air interviews from yesterday and today:

- Behind 'The New Black': The Real Piper's Prison Story
Piper Kerman was a 24-year-old Smith College graduate in 1993, when she flew to Belgium with a suitcase of money intended for a West African drug lord.

This misguided adventure started when she began a romantic relationship with a woman who was part of what Kerman describes as a "clique of impossibly stylish and cool lesbians in their mid-30s." That woman was involved in a drug-smuggling ring, and got Kerman involved, too, though Kerman left that life after several months.

Five years later, Kerman was named as part of the drug ring and, in February 2004, she reported to the Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Conn.

The new Netflix series Orange Is the New Black is based on Kerman's memoir of the same name about her year in that minimum-security women's prison.

Kerman is now a vice president at a Washington-based communications firm that works with foundations and nonprofits, and she serves on the board of the Women's Prison Association. She tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross about learning the rules of prison and sharing a cell with her former girlfriend.
- 'Orange' Creator Jenji Kohan: 'Piper Was My Trojan Horse'
A lot of people have been binge-watching the new Netflix series Orange Is the New Black, which is set in a minimum security women's prison.

The show's premise comes directly from a memoir of the same name: A white, middle-class woman named Piper, who graduated from a prestigious women's college, became involved romantically with a woman who was working for a drug ring. They traveled together on out-of-town business, and Piper agreed to carry a suitcase of drug money. She wasn't caught, but years later she was named in a drug conspiracy, convicted and sent to prison.

Beyond that basic premise, Orange's writers have created a fictionalized version of Piper's story, as well as fictional backstories for the inmates Piper is serving time with.

The memoir was adapted for Netflix by Jenji Kohan, who is also the showrunner, overseeing production of the series. Kohan also created the Showtime series Weeds. She tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross about the show's close-knit cast, why she chose Netflix, and what draws her to stories about privileged white women and criminality.

I honestly don't care that much.

As much as I enjoy the chemistry between Schilling and Prepon, the fact that they were placed in the same prison was one of the more unbelievable aspects of the show.

dabig2

I honestly don't care that much.

As much as I enjoy the chemistry between Schilling and Prepon, the fact that they were placed in the same prison was one of the more unbelievable aspects of the show.

This actually happened in the real life story this is based on

I know it's not that kind of show but I wish there were more tense moments.

Only time I felt it was when the screwdriver was missing and Mercy's going-away party was happening. Thought it was cute how they revealed Big Boo pleasuring herself with it.

But other than that, wasted opportunity with Pennsatucky and Mendez IMO. Neither seemed that intimidating or threatening, something that I hope improves in S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom