• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black - Season 1 on Netflix - Every sentence is a story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter S.

What makes a show only "for women"?

And I really think you're wrong.

I saw 3 episodes. It just focuses on their relationships. The almost all female cast is a major turnoff. I cannot stomach it. I tend to think female characters are more often secondary and boring so this show is boring to me. Mty GF still watches it without me, boring.

anaron

I saw 3 episodes. It just focuses on their relationships. The almost all female cast is a major turnoff. I cannot stomach it. I tend to think female characters are more often secondary and boring so this show is boring to me. Mty GF still watches it without me, boring.

UGH

Carcetti

I don't have large enough Picard headpalm for this. Plus even if a work of entertainment focuses purely on relationships, that makes them somehow bad? Have you ever watched Linklater movies?

On 2nd though, don't answer.

I tend to think female characters are more often secondary and boring

You do realize how dumb that sounds?

ivysaur12

Banned

You should reread this to yourself and then realize how stupid it sounds.

Dabanton

What a damm horrible post.

Spinluck

Loved this show. Can't wait for Season 2. Supporting cast is great.

The title of the last episode is "You Can't Fix Crazy". I felt that wasn't directed entirely towards the crazy religious crackhead hick girl, but also Piper. Her brother and parents, Larry's parents, Alex, and even her best friend have all suggest Piper can be a bit screwed in the head sometimes or a lot of times.

Larry being a bitch, and bailing on her in while she's in jail seemed to be the last straw for her sanity. People who are connected with her always seem to have to put up with her shit or "phases". Then Crazy Eyes giving that speech about how she isn't a real dandelion, and then telling her how to mop "you start from the outside in, otherwise you step on the clean".

I still like her character, and I do route for her. But there's no denying she has mental issues of some kind or is extremely unstable. Somethings weren't her fault though, on top of Kealy being a piece of shit and all trying to get her to break. Larry was an asshole, but he's not entirely to blame for their relation hitting the shitter. Both he and Piper could've made better choices.

Gonna be interesting where they take Pipers character in Season 2. I also hope all of the supporting cast returns, they're the strong point of the show.

I absolutely loved this show up until the Chicken thing and at that point both the situation lost all sense of danger and the main character does a thing that I could not empathize with. Lost a lot of enthusiasm in one episode and kinda stopped watching a couple episodes later. I might come back to it if I get bored.

I absolutely loved this show up until the Chicken thing and at that point both the situation lost all sense of danger and the main character does a thing that I could not empathize with. Lost a lot of enthusiasm in one episode and kinda stopped watching a couple episodes later. I might come back to it if I get bored.

The Chicken ep was probably my least favorite. Really corny and it seemed wildly out of character for Red.

charsace

You're nuts. All the female inmates are interesting.

I agree completely with this. I haven't started episode 8 yet, but starting with episode 5, I've lost some interest. The show seems to have lost tension and focus. There's too many storylines or something going on.

Revolver

- memles continuing his S1 reviews for the Onion A|V Club: “Fucksgiving”/“Bora Bora Bora”

"Fucksgiving" is when the show really clicked with me. The scene with Crazy Eyes' parents and Piper's stay in the SHU were pretty great. I wonder if she was really talking to another inmate through the grate or if she's really losing it? The chicken episode might be a foreshadowing of Piper losing her grip on reality in hindsight. It'll be interesting to see how her character is handled next season.

Wow, really? I was actually surprised by how great she was as Alex. Definitely impressed me.

Me too. I wasn't expecting much from her at all but her scenes with Piper were some of the best of the show. I thought the scenes where she was trapped in the dryer and the flashback about her mother's death really stood out.

Bri

Watched the last episode today. Great show.

But I don't get Lorno Morello's accent? Where is she supposed to be from?

I've just finished watching the show. It's pretty good, but the show needs a better editor or director. There were many scenes that felt out of place. It was weird. Such as the scene where Tasty goes to her new apartment. We hadn't seen her in a while and after the scene, it took another two episodes before she came back to prison. And even her surprise reveal was super rushed and out-of-place.

Also, dat ending. :)

edit: I was also confused by Lorna's accent. I couldn't tell if it was eastern european, brooklyn or a mix of both.

Revolver

Watched the last episode today. Great show.

But I don't get Lorno Morello's accent? Where is she supposed to be from?

I think she's supposed to be from Jersey. She sounds a lot like Adriana from the Sopranos to me, especially when she talks about her fiance Christopher.

"Fucksgiving" is when the show really clicked with me. The scene with Crazy Eyes' parents and Piper's stay in the SHU were pretty great. I wonder if she was really talking to another inmate through the grate or if she's really losing it? The chicken episode might be a foreshadowing of Piper losing her grip on reality in hindsight. It'll be interesting to see how her character is handled next season.

I already loved it by then but "Fucksgiving" absolutely floored me. Such a great episode.

Dany

Banned
I'll admit that the first episode is not the strongest, but Jesus Christ at the hyperbole.

Wait really? I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of the pilot. I know folks in here are raving about the episode but I havn't watched any of the show since because it was so terrible.

Altruistic_Lies

Neo Member
Wait really? I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of the pilot. I know folks in here are raving about the episode but I havn't watched any of the show since because it was so terrible.

I've got to say I wasn't a huge fan of the first episode but it definitely does get better. For me, it's the secondary characters in the prison that make this show and you don't get to see their chemistry in the pilot.

Certinty

Watched the first 5 episodes and so far it seems pretty good, really hoping it doesn't start losing its way though which is how I felt with the last episode I watched (the chicken one).

- Deadline: Uzo Aduba Upped To Regular On ‘Orange Is The New Black’ *some spoilers via the link*
Orange Is The New Black‘s recurring player Uzo Aduba, who plays fan favorite Crazy Eyes, has been made a series regular for the second season of the Netflix/Lionsgate comedic drama. This marks the first series regular role for the Broadway actress, repped by Joan Sittenfield Management.
This makes a certain things that happen in the show so much clearer lol.

BrettWeir

Maybe I looked way too deep into this episode, but with the way I looked at it, this episode really made me appreciate the series. Why? To me, I saw it as a perception thing. It showed how such ridiculous, small items, etc are so important within the prison ecosystem. When Piper starts relaying those stories to people outside of the prison, it's so......"WTF? Why would that matter?"

I loved it.

Guevara

I did not like the ending.
The violence really seemed out of character to me, and it also felt like an easy way to come back next season and give Piper more time.

Valhelm

contribute something
The violence really seemed out of character to me, and it also felt like an easy way to come back next season and give Piper more time.

I think that
Piper's killing of Pennsatucky was meant to show just how much she has changed. This prim little girl from the city really has become just as scary as anybody else in Litchfield.

I liked it precisely for what it showed of Chapman's character: she hardened up. For the entire season she was polite, small, naive and weak. Now she's fed up with interiorizing all of her rage. She's becoming a mean machine.

I think that
Piper's killing of Pennsatucky was meant to show just how much she has changed. This prim little girl from the city really has become just as scary as anybody else in Litchfield.

I mean kind of but
she was defending herself, but yeah prison life definitely toughened her up. I'm not a violent person at all, but if someone were threatening to kill me, I would have did the same. Not to mention she was begging for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom