• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! 2 |OT| WHY IS THERE NO OT FOR THIS?

KarmaCow

Just started playing it solo and already it seems more challenging than the original. Though I can see how just having another person can trivialize most of the challenge.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about buying gear/upgrades straight out of the spellbook just yet. After finishing the storymode it wont matter but at this point I'm just hording skulls, unsure of what to buy. It is good that you can refund skulls spent though.

Ceebs

This is probably as high as I will ever get on any of these leaderboards.

orcsmustdie22012-08-0tgory.png

You guys that are playing should add me so I can get some more variety on my leaderboards.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Captainceebs

ZenaxPure

Me and a friend tried some more endless levels. I can't remember the name of the one exactly but there is one that is 3 straight hallways with minecarts going through. It's only possible to block 2 of the doors really and there is virtually no where to put traps except on the floor. Can't say we really enjoyed that one too much.

Just started playing it solo and already it seems more challenging than the original. Though I can see how just having another person can trivialize most of the challenge.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about buying gear/upgrades straight out of the spellbook just yet. After finishing the storymode it wont matter but at this point I'm just hording skulls, unsure of what to buy. It is good that you can refund skulls spent though.

There is no penalty to refunding them, so no need to hoard them or anything. I think I respecced almost every single level on normal difficulty. Could never find a setup I liked since different traps were useful on different levels.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it either. On one hand I love the freedom of it and I love that there is a reason to just keep grinding various levels for skulls to upgrade stuff. You need hundreds of them to fully max out everything. But on the other hand I feel like it makes your first play through super awkward.

One of the things I liked about the first game is that each level there was a good chance the new trap you were given was going to be useful on the next level and you could plan accordingly. With the freedom of this game, though, that really isn't the case. You can buy a trap and have it turn out to be absolutely useless on the next level.... Given the free skull refund it's not a big deal but I can't say I am a huge fan of that aspect.

Gonna do an Endless before beddy bye. Who is with me?

And who else makes bouncy pads on King of the Hill with traps at the bottom? So fun. So epic.

Therion

Found an interesting bug. If an orc gets resurrected just past the exit gate, it will march out of the level and then back to the gate over and over. The problem is that you can't shoot past the gate's entrance to kill it and end the wave. I eventually managed to sneak a couple shots through right as it reached the entrance, but for a while I thought I'd have to restart (wave 27 of endless, so I would have been pretty annoyed). Just something you might want to check for if a wave mysteriously doesn't end.

Found an interesting bug. If an orc gets resurrected just past the exit gate, it will march out of the level and then back to the gate over and over. The problem is that you can't shoot past the gate's entrance to kill it and end the wave. I eventually managed to sneak a couple shots through right as it reached the entrance, but for a while I thought I'd have to restart (wave 27 of endless, so I would have been pretty annoyed). Just something you might want to check for if a wave mysteriously doesn't end.
That happened to my roommate and I on endless, except that the two orcs just sat there on the other side of the entrance. We were about to restart when the screen went black and it moved on to the next round.

Game is very good, here some thoughts (finished with Warmage Solo):

- Too Easy overall
- Too short
- Not really that much new stuff

If OMD3 does not give a bit more additional content I will wait for a sale for the next installement. Still: Very good game!

Ceebs

God I just passed 30 hours of playtime. I think I got my 13 bucks or whatever worth.

Also Finale is the most unfun stage ever. I hate it.

ZenaxPure

God I just passed 30 hours of playtime. I think I got my 13 bucks or whatever worth.

I just hit 30 hours as well. At 30 hours played in the original OMD I was done with every achievement and every stage/difficulty in the game. I am not even really close here. Endless mode adds so much to the game, I love it, pretty much have spent my past 10 hours played with it.

That said, just finished a game of endless on Wind Up. Not a particurally fun map for endless to be honest. The 2 doors right beside the rift with no walls/ceiling/little floor space between them make later waves fairly annoying.

KarmaCow

Maybe I'm just too stubborn and I need to experiment with different traps but this game seems far more difficult to 5 skull on the first pass through a level.

I just got to Upstairs Downstairs and it seems rather bullshit. The 6th wave has a Fire Troll and an Ice Troll that go for the close rift, right next to the gates. I can't DPS both of them down and kiting doesn't seem to work either since one invariably just goes for the rift. I've tried blocking off the closer rift but the orcs just break through the barricades, regardless if the rift is completely blocked off or partially blocked in an attempt to get some orcs to take a long path. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because this is like a brick wall. Did they change how the AI reacts to barricades, because it seems odd that they just don't change their route to an open path. I haven't tried pushing the trolls back to buy more time though.

Perhaps I should just continue on with a <5 skull rating instead of immediately restarting once an orcs gets through....but I don't want to do that.

Javaman

Maybe I'm just too stubborn and I need to experiment with different traps but this game seems far more difficult to 5 skull on the first pass through a level.

I just got to Upstairs Downstairs and it seems rather bullshit. The 6th wave has a Fire Troll and an Ice Troll that go for the close rift, right next to the gates. I can't DPS both of them down and kiting doesn't seem to work either since one invariably just goes for the rift. I've tried blocking off the closer rift but the orcs just break through the barricades, regardless if the rift is completely blocked off or partially blocked in an attempt to get some orcs to take a long path. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because this is like a brick wall. Did they change how the AI reacts to barricades, because it seems odd that they just don't change their route to an open path. I haven't tried pushing the trolls back to buy more time though.

Perhaps I should just continue on with a <5 skull rating instead of immediately restarting once an orcs gets through....but I don't want to do that.

Try the transformer ring. It,ll change them into chickens or something easilly killable.

Ceebs

Try the transformer ring. It,ll change them into chickens or something easilly killable.

Except when it turns them into a Mountain Troll and you are like "shit".

Up to Corridors on Nightmare. Been doing a mix of Co-Op and solo to get through these. We have gotten some fantastic co-op scores though. (One is still in the top ten overall).

Edit: Finished Corridors! That level was a huge headache. Ended up with a notepad with wave numbers and gnoll directions. You have to run to them before they get to your archers or you will get overrun by the flying dudes in seconds. I had to take the mana trinket just to have enough mana to burst them down fast enough.

Ceebs

Endless mode is next on my co-op list once we finish this Nightmare playthrough.

I can't decide if Nightmare is fun or not. It's super frantic and usually involves 15 minutes of planning for each idea we happen to have for the levels. Then another half an hour of playing around to see what is working. Then we go at it and nail some high scores.

On the other hand it is super stressful and can be damn infuriating because at times it just seems unfair.

Javaman

Except when it turns them into a Mountain Troll and you are like "shit".

Up to Corridors on Nightmare. Been doing a mix of Co-Op and solo to get through these. We have gotten some fantastic co-op scores though. (One is still in the top ten overall).

Edit: Finished Corridors! That level was a huge headache. Ended up with a notepad with wave numbers and gnoll directions. You have to run to them before they get to your archers or you will get overrun by the flying dudes in seconds. I had to take the mana trinket just to have enough mana to burst them down fast enough.

Just shoot him with the transmog again!

ZenaxPure

Just shoot him with the transmog again!

Or the ice bracelet. Our strategy to deal with gnolls is pretty much just placing like 2 brimstone right before the archers which usually takes of them. The rest I just freeze and kill in a couple of attacks.

I can't really say I found nightmare that challenging. The only level we died on was, unsurprisingly, crunch, the rest we got on our first try, but, we weren't shooting for high scores or anything.

I can't say I am a huge fan of how scoring works, I feel like it gets in the way of the freedom the game offers since some methods are clearly better than others to gather fast score. Though my biggest problem with it is that the leadersboards on endless are ranked by score first. They really should be ranked by waves survived, then score. Like, I can't remember which it is but one of the levels the number 1 team had around 1.5 million points but only made it to like wave 21. Kinda lame.

Endless mode is next on my co-op list once we finish this Nightmare playthrough.

I can't decide if Nightmare is fun or not. It's super frantic and usually involves 15 minutes of planning for each idea we happen to have for the levels. Then another half an hour of playing around to see what is working. Then we go at it and nail some high scores.

On the other hand it is super stressful and can be damn infuriating because at times it just seems unfair.

No intervals is a real beach.

Therion, I don't know how you got such an insane score on one of the early maps. I call witchcraft! I'm slowly going through story mode solo trying to get good scores. Pains me when I'm not #1 :( "What the hell could they have possibly done to get such a good score? WTF? I NEED TO KNOW." Haha. Gotta love this game. I think this is one of the only games where I give a crap about leaderboard scores with friends and try to beat some of them if I'm not high enough.

Loved OMD1. One of my favorite games of last year. Liking 2, but I feel like now the emphasis is more on combat and less on traps. I preferred relying on traps.

Ceebs

Loved OMD1. One of my favorite games of last year. Liking 2, but I feel like now the emphasis is more on combat and less on traps. I preferred relying on traps.

It is still very much on traps, although to really get anywhere with combat, you really need to use certain support traps.

Try changing up your trap strategy. Have made some very crazy kill boxes that pretty much murder anything that walks into them without your help.

Also:

untitled8urdl.png

Xyber

Me and my friend completed nightmare earlier, 5 skulls on all maps except 2 or 3 on the first try. I was disappointed that you don't get the achievement for 5 base skulls on all maps if you do it on nightmare (still have some with 4 skulls on war mage), that should be fixed.

And I don't get why everyone thinks Crunch is so hard (unless you are playing alone).
Just put ice traps/tar traps in the long corridors, acid sprayers along the entire wall and archers looking down the corridor from the room upstairs. Almost nothing gets past that if you keep charming the trolls so you and your friend can focus on the other two doors. Don't forget to charm the flying stuff so the archers have an easier time dealing with them.

I did enjoy the added stress when playing on nightmare, you have to plan what you are going to do with your time between the waves and not just run around for 30 seconds checking where I could use some more traps.

Nome

The dual player advantage mainly comes from having two weapons on the field at once. Pooling all the goldz onto one player is very strong though, especially because that one player (once he has enough skulls) can just dump them into 4-5 useful traps and put the rest into trinkets. I've been able to score much higher doing single player.

Co-op game with no matchmaking? Weird for something as polished as this release.
Not sure if serious about polish :X
This game has some of the worst UX design I've seen lately.

Ceebs

The dual player advantage mainly comes from having two weapons on the field at once. Pooling all the goldz onto one player is very strong though, especially because that one player (once he has enough skulls) can just dump them into 4-5 useful traps and put the rest into trinkets. I've been able to score much higher doing single player.

Not sure if serious about polish :X
This game has some of the worst UX design I've seen lately.

We posted most of super high co-op scores carrying the sorceress scepter and a magic weapon only on the Warmage. Warmage carried none of his primary weapons.

Therion

Patched!

Patch Notes for 8-7-2012

Fix for baricades on MirrorImage
Trap grid/pathing adjustments in various levels
Fixed a conflict with Shield Orcs and Spring Traps that caused the orcs to not be thrown properly
Fixed the drop down menu for video options so that it wouldn't extend off the screen
Fix for kill amount bonus skulls getting regranted on level retry
Adjustments to the UI to address postgame hitches
Fixed the 100% CPU problems
Adjusted anti-aliasing options in menu to display an "Off" setting.
Fixed combo point bug with the Grinder. It now awards combo points properly.
Voice packet tweaks for in-game chat.
Fixed Bilebat perma-puke.
Various localization and string changes.
Adjustments to Mouse Sensitivity slider to broaden the range of sensitivity
Worked on a bug that would occasionally cause the Sorceress's charge attack to fizzle out inappropriately. There are still edge cases that we'll continue to investigate, but this should largely fix the issue.
Fix for special characters in leadboard display names
Fixed a bug that prevented Bilebats from shooting through Boulderchutes
Added an option to use the command "NoAlienFX" in user.cfg to de-activate keyboard light effects for the game. This also may fix some game launch issues for Alienware users.
Added an option to use the command "-voice" in user.cfg to disable in-game voice chat entirely. Once the game's Voice Chat is disabled, players can use Steam's voice chat options.

I knew my grinders weren't comboing they way they should have.

Volcynika

Played two Endless rounds with my brother on Sunday and not sure what was up, as we got disconnected from each other about 20-30 waves in on each one. REALLY annoying how you just don't get anything at all when that happens. Hope it doesn't happen next time.

Therion

After moving across the state last weekend, I've finally been able to get back to this game. The grinders definitely work much better now. I was just messing around on the first level for a while, and the fixed grinders and some equipment-tweaking improved my score by about 80,000 points, putting me in 130th on the leaderboard. Saw my first ever x8 combo while I was at it (though it didn't make my current high score, so I know I can still improve).

If anyone hasn't already, add http://steamcommunity.com/id/Therion and try to beat me!

Edit: Up to 212,000 on the first level now.

Top Bottom