• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! |OT| Traps have never been so fun!

JoeBoy101

Ceebs said:
Did you upgrade the mace? that seems useful but expensive.

I prefer upgraded mace with tar combo. Also remember with the mace, that if you have enough overhead room, you do have to put it perpendicular to the corridor. Costs some caysh, but two or three lanes of mace running parallel is utterly brutal.

Fitz

It really is a great demo, just enough content to make you want more without giving away much of the content still to come.

Volcynika said:
I have it on PC, is there a preferred control method, or whatever you feel is most comfortable?

Definitely down to preference I think, personally I prefer KB+M for the crossbow action but I don't think I'd have much issue using a controller.

Colkate said:
Definitely down to preference I think, personally I prefer KB+M for the crossbow action but I don't think I'd have much issue using a controller.
I can't imagine that switching between traps/spells would be as fluent as it is with a M/KB either. Explosive barrels and such should be much easier to use. Though admittedly I don't know how it works with a pad. :p

ElRenoRaven

Danne-Danger said:
I can't imagine that switching between traps/spells would be as fluent as it is with a M/KB either. Explosive barrels and such should be much easier to use. Though admittedly I don't know how it works with a pad. :p

Actually if anything it screams to me that it was designed around the controller. It's very fluent actually. You use the triggers for attacks. You use A to jump. Then to switch between attacks and trap placing you hit y button on the 360 controller. I actually like it better with the controller.

Balehead

Blockades, tar and flaming arrow archers are a pretty deadly combination. Lots of money once you get it going, flaming bracers on top of that and things are burning. Spent the extra cash on lava pavement. If there's a roof above the tarway I put stompers above it. Loving the game so far.

ElRenoRaven

Oh man. I just discovered the joy of weaver empowered Paladins. I hadn't played in a couple days after only 3 skulling The Library. I decided what the hell let's use Weaver upgraded Paladins with a couple tar traps at each entrence.

They are so nasty with their stuns and regenerating health. By the end I hate 7 Paladins on each entrance along with 1 tar trap and behind the paladins I had 1 fire trap.

Needless to say it was a breeze. They only needed help when the giant elemental trolls came around. Sadly I had forgotten to take the Ice Amulet so I just kept stunning the hell out of them with my crossbow. Needless to say nothing made it through. 5 Skulled that damn thing. LOL

2th

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Oh man. I just discovered the joy of weaver empowered Paladins. I hadn't played in a couple days after only 3 skulling The Library. I decided what the hell let's use Weaver upgraded Paladins with a tar trap at each entrence.

They are so nasty with their stuns and regenerating health. By the end I hate 7 Paladins on each entrence along with 1 tar trap and behind the paladins I had 1 fire trap.

Needless to say it was a breeze. They only needed help when the giant elemental trolls came around. Sadly I had forgotten to take the Ice Amulet so I just kept stunning the hell out of them with my crossbow. Needless to say nothing made it through. 5 Skulled that damn thing. LOL

will have to try this.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
how the FUCK do you 5 skull that stage where they are 3 doors leading into one rift?

I ALMOST had it at one point, but the bastards slipped through and the last wave decimated me....was perfect up til that point.

Kuro Madoushi said:
how the FUCK do you 5 skull that stage where they are 3 doors leading into one rift?

I ALMOST had it at one point, but the bastards slipped through and the last wave decimated me....was perfect up til that point.
Guardians + Frost Nova wins the day.

Valygar

Does someone know if you can upgrade everything? I'm saving up excepts for things I use a lot (barricades, tar traps, archers, blade wall) . So far I've found the blade wall amazing to kill the annoying little flying fire things, if there is a tunnel that allows it.

I'm not doing 5/5 every map, but it's been easy in most. I'm 111 in the Chaos Chamber and I don't really know why. I just used tar traps with arrow walls||spike traps with push wall, and loooots of archers. With that and the weaver fire arrow spells I got combos almost all the time, it was very easy. And I think it would have been even better with arrow walls and tar traps alone.

Edit: Damn library, 4 setups so far and at the wave 4-5 something always slips into the rift :(

Valygar said:
Edit: Damn library, 4 setups so far and at the wave 4-5 something always slips into the rift :(
I focused on the one entrance first with a mace, tar, and arrows at the sides (you could go with crushers as well since it'll only be orcs at first). Took care of the first ogre (frost, I think) with magic. At the first break I sold all my defenses and set up a tar/mace/arrow combo at each of the nexus entrances, as the money piled up I did the same for each orc-door corridor as well. When you have all 4 choke-points covered you fill the space in the middle with spikes/fire and maybe put a couple of archers shooting from the nexus into the middle. If something gets through you burn it and use the teleports to go from side to side, keep an eye on the radar!

Valygar

Killing Fields was giving me some trouble... until I decided to barricade both sides, so they could only come upstairs... I saw the ceiling and...

2njva50.jpg

3 upgraded maces, with tar and arrow walls at the sides. That thing killed anything and more, it has been my best moment in this game. Even some gnolls didn't manage to survive.

The only problem is wave 12, when the bombing goblins try to destroy your barricades. But in my case it was in the end and almost all the orcs were already dead. Can't wait to use a similar setup on Nightmare!, I love traps & crossbow far more than magic.

ElRenoRaven

SalsaShark said:
Trailer for first DLC

yeah.. they went with new traps as paid DLC. Not happy.

Meh the price isn't bad. Also judging by a post in the forums there is something else they haven't revealed because if you complete both warmage and nightmare 5 skulled you only have enough to upgrade all the current traps. So there has to be a way to earn skulls for upgrading them. And when asked about it they replied kind of cryptically with a hmmm.

ArjanN

The_Player said:
Didn't touch it yet. What does it looks like?

Much more enemies, and more difficult types (orcs with shields,ogres etc) appear earlier on and more often. It's a pretty big step up in difficulty.

PsychoRaven said:
Meh the price isn't bad. Also judging by a post in the forums there is something else they haven't revealed because if you complete both warmage and nightmare 5 skulled you only have enough to upgrade all the current traps. So there has to be a way to earn skulls for upgrading them. And when asked about it they replied kind of cryptically with a hmmm.

Are you sure that's right? I only just finished the first act on nightmare but it seems like you'd have more skulls than available upgrades by the end if you 5 skull every map.

If there was only a way to combine the customization, loot, co op, and tavern from Dungeon Defenders with the look and gameplay of Orcs must die it would be the perfect game.

ElRenoRaven

ArjanN said:
Much more enemies, and more difficult types (orcs with shields,ogres etc) appear earlier on and more often. It's a pretty big step up in difficulty.

Are you sure that's right? I only just finished the first act on nightmare but it seems like you'd have more skulls than available upgrades by the end if you 5 skull every map.

That's what everyone who's beaten it says. I haven't finished WarMage yet. I just can't stop going back and playing older levels for the hell of it.

Mupod

I made it to Lunch Break on nightmare before I ran into a snag. Beat it eventually though, I'd like to say I had a specific strategy but really the key point was surviving the first two waves without building anything. Other than that I just did my usual 'funnel them into axe traps' plan.

One thing that I'm embarrassed to admit is that I had NO idea that being close to the rift regenerated health and mana until that specific level.

Fitz

I got a patch for this on Steam today, I believe it added a new costume, "Orc Slayer" and I assume also support for the new DLC. I don't think I'm going to pick up the DLC myself until it's on sale or something, I don't think £1.60 is quite worth it for just two powers and two traps, although they do look very cool.

Chris R

Just started playing this on the 360 and it is kinda fun. Don't really enjoy the combat too much as stuff just lacks punch but maybe that upgrades later. Only made it to level 4 before quitting tonight but had to redo the third level all ready to get the perfect score.

edit: Well it seems that you aren't limited to using only the weapons you had unlocked at the time the mission was opened to you so going back with newer traps/helpers is making beating certain levels easier now... Wonder if that is on purpose and if the game was balanced around that fact.

Trailer at the link below

Robot Entertainment has announced Lost Adventures, the second DLC pack for their critically acclaimed action strategy game Orcs Must Die!™ Return to the dead world beyond the rifts and conquer a new series of five challenging fortresses. In Lost Adventures you’ll travel from the depths of the Pit to the narrow passages high over the Great Gorge. The Lost Adventures are five of the most deadly rift assaults the War Mage has ever faced and will be available on Steam for a special introductory price of $2.99 on Tuesday, November 8th, 2011.

Five New Fortresses – Repel the orc onslaught in four completely new fortresses plus a reverse version of The Tower where your enemies have the high ground! Each fortress can be played on Apprentice, War Mage, or Nightmare difficulty.
Two New Enemies – Fear the icy breath of the Frost Bat, and beware the draining magical attack of the Cyclops Mage!
New Leaderboards – Challenge your friends for the highest score on leaderboards for each of the five new levels.
New skull rewards – Earn up to fifty additional skulls to further upgrade your arsenal of traps!
A New Bonus Defense! - Place the Mana Well in strategic locations around a fortress for a burst of magical energy at just the right moment.

http://robotentertainment.com/blog/detail/Lost-Adventures-DLC-Pack-Announced

Blizzard

Banned
Even though I don't usually buy DLC, I picked the game and its DLC up today since it was like $5.50 USD total as part of the daily deal. :)

Wow this game totally flew under my radar until the sale today. Tried the demo and absolutely loved it. $5.35 for the game and both dlcs is great! Though I feel like the DLC weapons are kinda game breaking. The fire trap and vamp gloves are my crutch now lol

Bought the game off of the sale as well. Put about 4 hours in already, it's a ton of fun.

Anybody have any general strategies? Some of the traps seem kind of overpriced/useless. I'm not sure what good, for example, the steam vents do. Also, why would I want to use that wall trap that slices orcs up, when the arrow trap seems to achieve the same method, but with a far longer range?

ArjanN

Bought the game off of the sale as well. Put about 4 hours in already, it's a ton of fun.

Anybody have any general strategies? Some of the traps seem kind of overpriced/useless. I'm not sure what good, for example, the steam vents do. Also, why would I want to use that wall trap that slices orcs up, when the arrow trap seems to achieve the same method, but with a far longer range?

Most of the traps are useful in the right circumstances, for example the slicing trap is more powerful than the arrow trap, you just have to use it in a tight corridor/chokepoint, or use barricades to force the orcs to go where you want them to go.

Uriah

Most of the traps are useful in the right circumstances, for example the slicing trap is more powerful than the arrow trap, you just have to use it in a tight corridor/chokepoint, or use barricades to force the orcs to go where you want them to go.

Can't the orcs just climb over the barricades though? I haven't played a whole lot so correct me if I'm wrong.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

I lined the bridge with 4 rows of snare traps and 1 row of barricades, with upgraded archer party in the back. that worked well with using the alchemy thingy to blow up large groups.

Game is awesome.

Pachael

I don't think there are many things more satisfying then watching a group of orcs painstakingly slog through your traps only to get windbelted back across them all. So sadistic.

This is right. 7 hours of orc blasting nonsense and I love doing that, particularly with swinging mace + wall arrows/grinder + tar traps + fire traps (DLC) at the end. So awesome.

Torraz

I lined the bridge with 4 rows of snare traps and 1 row of barricades, with upgraded archer party in the back. that worked well with using the alchemy thingy to blow up large groups.

Game is awesome.

This.

Tar on the bridge. Archers behind. 1-2 paladins with stun swords. Throw three alchemy pots in the very beginning.

Diman

Bought the game yesterday during steam sale.
It's too addictive.

I really like the different kind of traps. Spring traps and lava give so much fun :p
I also like to to place traps at the end of a corridor of traps.
"You Orc thought you made it through? Guess not!"

I'm still experimenting what the best combinations are for all the traps.

Top Bottom