• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! |OT| Traps have never been so fun!

Blizzard

Banned
2th said:
So just got to play a level on PC. First off i am hating how shitty the start up runs. Second the lack of keyboard customization really pisses me off. I dont use the standard WASD and i would like to be able to change my bindings. Please Robot fix this!
Start up? In what way? Tearing? D3DOverrider (comes with RivaTuner) with triple buffering and vsync will fix that.

Keyboard rebindings would be nice though, and apparently you're not the only one wanting that without requiring a third-party program.

BiggNife

The Lamonster said:
Is this game more like Defense Grid or Monday Night Combat?

I like straight-up TD games and wasn't much a fan of Monday Night Combat.
This isn't really straight-up TD. But there's a demo, you might as well try it.

ElRenoRaven

TheNiX said:
Neither. But, if I had to pick, it would be closer to MNC.

I'd say neither. It's like hack & Slash meets tower defense. You set up traps and then you kill orcs to prevent them from getting to this giant portal.

Ceebs

The Lamonster said:
Is this game more like Defense Grid or Monday Night Combat?

I like straight-up TD games and wasn't much a fan of Monday Night Combat.
It's honestly nothing like MNC. You get the ability to place your traps anywhere in the level you want as long as it meets the trap requirements (Arrow walls need a solid wall, ceiling traps need a ceiling)

Still you will need to be shooting/slicing/casting at the orcs since your traps are almost never going to cut it on their own.

Ceebs said:
It's honestly nothing like MNC. You get the ability to place your traps anywhere in the level you want as long as it meets the trap requirements (Arrow walls need a solid wall, ceiling traps need a ceiling)

Still you will need to be shooting/slicing/casting at the orcs since your traps are almost never going to cut it on their own.
I wish there was a way to turn off shooting mode. I'd rather not mix action with strategy...but who knows, I'll try the demo tonight and find out if it's something I'd be into!

Ceebs

The Lamonster said:
I wish there was a way to turn off shooting mode. I'd rather not mix action with strategy...but who knows, I'll try the demo tonight and find out if it's something I'd be into!
There is still plenty of strategy to it and multiple ways to win. The action part makes it feel more dynamic than the usual TD games, and lets you make up for poor trap design if you are good enough.

I had a run just now where my initial plan went to hell right away. I managed to hold the line with the crossbow and wind belt long enough to sell off the traps and reset everything without having to start over.

Oops. So you know how you can hold RT to shoot constantly? Yeah, my forefinger is cursing me for not realizing that sooner.

Having a blast. Game is just fun, nothing more, but it doesn't need to be, that's the beauty.

2th

Banned
Blizzard said:
Start up? In what way? Tearing? D3DOverrider (comes with RivaTuner) with triple buffering and vsync will fix that.

Keyboard rebindings would be nice though, and apparently you're not the only one wanting that without requiring a third-party program.

yeah... spoke with their Community Manager a bit ago and he said they were looking into what they could do. that made me very happy.

ElRenoRaven

Marsipolami said:
Oops. So you know how you can hold RT to shoot constantly? Yeah, my forefinger is cursing me for not realizing that sooner.

Having a blast. Game is just fun, nothing more, but it doesn't need to be, that's the beauty.

Yup. You trade accuracy for just volume of projectiles. I bounce back and forth. Manually firing is very handy for archers and Hellbats. For anything else it's best to just hold that trigger down and go to town I find.

Ceebs

Danne-Danger said:
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Tar Trap + Wall Blades
Tar Trap + Push Trap
Tar Traps + Arrow Wall
Tar Traps + Archers
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

What do wall blades give you over the arrows? Damage?

Mrbob

Marsipolami said:

Is there a way to do this with a mouse? When I'm using it this doesn't work.

Ceebs said:
What do wall blades give you over the arrows? Damage?
I think they're quicker to reload as well.

*wait... no seems to just be damage. Also a big difference though is that an arrow will stop at the first orc, a blade trap will kill everything* instantly.

*almost.

2th

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Tar Trap + Wall Blades
Tar Trap + Push Trap
Tar Traps + Arrow Wall
Tar Traps + Archers
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

i prefer
Tar Traps + Arrow Wall
Spike Traps + Arrow Wall
Tar Traps + Arrow Wall
Spike Traps + Arrow Wall
Tar Traps + Arrow Wall
Spike Traps + Arrow Wall

need to get more stuff unlokced since im only level 5 or 6 right now. Game is so much fun to just pick up, play a level, go do something, pick up, play a level, go do something... though i really would rather just do a long play session lol.

Blizzard

Banned
Mrbob said:
Is there a way to do this with a mouse? When I'm using it this doesn't work.
Yeah, it annoyed me that I couldn't hold down the mouse button to use the sword combo or rapidfire arrows, since I hate hammering the mouse button.

alphaNoid

Banned
Its out on Steam right now! I think it was listed for tomorrow but I'm not going to complain. Downloading now
3AQmK.gif

Carm

Hrm, so I'm downloading the pc version atm, does anyone remember the file size listed? It says 4.3gigs, which seems quite high, and it's downloading pretty fast. Either it's stating the wrong size or they cut a lot out of the console version?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Carm said:
Hrm, so I'm downloading the pc version atm, does anyone remember the file size listed? It says 4.3gigs, which seems quite high, and it's downloading pretty fast. Either it's stating the wrong size or they cut a lot out of the console version?

Yea it downloaded in the 10 minutes or so it took me to have a shower this morning so I think the listed file size is wrong.

markot

Banned
Carm said:
I checked the folder size in my steam folder and it says 4.27gb!

Also if you had the demo I think it used some of that for the final. And the demo downloaded alot for me yesterday!

alphaNoid

Banned
Carm said:
No way its 4GB+ because I'm almost done downloading the whole thing in about 15 minutes on a 10MB connection. I did download the XBLA trial last night which was 1.68GB, which sounds about right for this PC version.

Carm

markot said:
I checked the folder size in my steam folder and it says 4.27gb!

Also if you had the demo I think it used some of that for the final. And the demo downloaded alot for me yesterday!

Yea, deleted the demo last night, just in case there were issues with retail. It's very strange how it's reporting it wrong in the actual folder.

Chrysalis

How long does this take to get even remotely difficult? I understand it was mostly tutorial material, but in no moment during the demo did the orcs feel like a real threat.

Fjord

Ugh this game and Sanctum both have me holding down left click or spamming it at 300apm for the entire level! My favourite part of TDs was how relaxing they can be.

2th

Banned
Blizzard said:
Yeah, it annoyed me that I couldn't hold down the mouse button to use the sword combo or rapidfire arrows, since I hate hammering the mouse button.

yeah im not liking how i cant hold down to fire and stuff... and the response for the double tap forward to run leaves much to be desired.

Mrbob

Chrysalis said:
How long does this take to get even remotely difficult? I understand it was mostly tutorial material, but in no moment during the demo did the orcs feel like a real threat.

I got 5 skulls on the first four stages, but after this I only got 2 on my next three. You can take traps you earned in the game back to previous stages, and I was able to 4 star skulls after with the extra equipment. I missed the extra skull by being a couple seconds late.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not liking how the crossbow shot seems to travel from midsection upwards.
I have to lead to the top right of heads to get more headshots and it doesn't work too well upclose.

Not sure if I'm sold on the combo system either?

But when you have a hall of traps lining up combo headshots it feels pretty nice.

So... combos, it seems that if you use multiple traps to kill one orc... say one gets poisoned by a spike trap, walks into a tar pit as he gets blasted by an arrow wall while an archer sets him on fire, that'd be a 4x combo (which will pop-up in a star blurb)? Then you have streaks in addition to that?

Carm

This game seems to be broken on the PC now. Pre-ordering the game was supposed to get you Knight of the Order DLC, which I initially had because I pre-ordered. So I uninstalled the game to see if reinstalling would fix the displayed file size issue. I load up the game, I can no longer pick Knight of the Order dlc, and checking under View Downloaded Content there is a DLC there listed as Lost Adventures now which wasn't there before. Knight of the Order DLC isn't listed at all now.

notsol337

marked forever
I can't even get the game to launch, and I have no idea why. I get the happy "Preparing to launch Orcs Must Die!..." and it then just goes away. No process starts up. I did have the demo installed, but I'm not sure if that was it.

*edit* I can't run the game because I'm missing vision90.dll, or something. Interesting...

Mrbob

DLC is working for me.

I also had an issue trying to boot up initially. I deleted the game and reinstalled then it worked fine.

2th

Banned
Carm said:
This game seems to be broken on the PC now. Pre-ordering the game was supposed to get you Knight of the Order DLC, which I initially had because I pre-ordered. So I uninstalled the game to see if reinstalling would fix the displayed file size issue. I load up the game, I can no longer pick Knight of the Order dlc, and checking under View Downloaded Content there is a DLC there listed as Lost Adventures now which wasn't there before. Knight of the Order DLC isn't listed at all now.

They posted on Twitter that they are checking into this already and that the preorder bonus skin is NOT lost.

Also i have determined that Archers = RAPE. When you use the Steel Weaver and get them regenerating health and fire arrows all you need are tar traps and you can sit back and laugh. It is very satisfying to laugh as my minions rape for me :)

Carm

Still not working for me. This is what I see in View Downloadable Content pane:
wrongdlc.jpg

Devs know about it now, so just a matter of time till it's fixed.

Download size from within Steam and the game folder is still wrong too.

ElRenoRaven

Yup they'll get it fixed.

Dear god I can't stop playing either. I've 5 skulled everything so far except for Chaos Chamber. That map is the bane of my existence. I can 4 star it but there is always 1 that gets through. Hell even the two I've done after it I 5 skulled.

Damn amazing game though. The more I play the more I love it. I really really do.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PsychoRaven said:

Dear god I can't stop playing either. I've 5 skulled everything so far except for Chaos Chamber. That map is the bane of my existence. I can 4 star it but there is always 1 that gets through. Hell even the two I've done after it I 5 skulled.

Damn amazing game though. The more I play the more I love it. I really really do.
Are you actively using your magic abilities?

2th

Banned
PsychoRaven said:

i know how you feel. im almost done on an easy run through the maps just to familiarize myself witht hem. so much fun. Though honestly i think when you have your archers with flaming arrows the game is a bit too easy on easy level. you literally dont need anything but tar and archers. its kind of sad. though i am sure that will change when i jack up the difficulty

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Set of 3 pendulums + arrow walls + tar pits = sit back and watch

This game is probably the most cathartic experience I've had all year. Nothing better than barricading and tarring everything so you have what looks like 30-40 orcs on one square, then seeing the pendulum come down and gib them all at once!

I'll buy every level they make for this game.

Ghost said:
Set of 3 pendulums + arrow walls + tar pits = sit back and watch

This game is probably the most cathartic experience I've had all year. Nothing better than barricading and tarring everything so you have what looks like 30-40 orcs on one square, then seeing the pendulum come down and gib them all at once!

I'll buy every level they make for this game.
Do you have upgraded tar traps? I've been debating that one. Is it worth it? I don't use them that much and I always feel like I should.

Hollywood Duo said:
Do you have upgraded tar traps? I've been debating that one. Is it worth it? I don't use them that much and I always feel like I should.
Well worth it. It's cheap and EVERY orc that passes over it will be affected (no recharge etc.). Probably the best investment you can make.

ElRenoRaven

Danne-Danger said:
Well worth it. It's cheap and EVERY orc that passes over it will be affected (no recharge etc.). Probably the best investment you can make.

Interesting. I'll have to think about that as next upgrade. I just upgraded my archers. They are a godsend on The Balcony. Put up some barricades at top of stairs in front then spam archers. Those damn hellbats and smaller versions are annoying as hell. With tons of them though it's easy. That leaves the orcs, ogres, and hunters for me to handle. Put some nice spring traps on bridge and that mainly leaves ogres and Hunters. lol

I can't say it enough. The more I play the more I freaking love this game. So many possibilities when laying out traps.

PsychoRaven said:
Interesting. I'll have to think about that as next upgrade. I just upgraded my archers. They are a godsend on The Balcony. Put up some barricades at top of stairs in front then spam archers. Those damn hellbats and smaller versions are annoying as hell. With tons of them though it's easy. That leaves the orcs, ogres, and hunters for me to handle. Put some nice spring traps on bridge and that mainly leaves ogres and Hunters. lol
Heh, the way I did that was was I put 4 Wall Blades (two on each side) stacked on top of each other in the first two doorways, Tar Traps between them, right in front I put Spike Traps towards the door, Spring Traps right behind towards me that shot orcs back towards the door (which would let the top blade traps gib some greens) and then I maxed out with archers on and below the first bridge. Piece of piss! They never got past the doorway and into the hallway, essentially. :p I thought I took a screen of it but it turns out that I didn't!

Anyway, another thing about Tar Traps, you can use them on essentially every map! I'm thinking long and hard about taking the upgrade for the pendulum, it sounds awesome, but it's expensive and a lot of maps just won't let you use them.

Archers is also a good investment since you end up spamming them a lot.

Danne-Danger said:
I'll probably go that way. I just upgraded the pendulum trap, seems like a good combination to go with. Thanks.

ElRenoRaven

Danne-Danger said:
You know a game is good when you forget to eat.

Yes it is. And hell yea. I finally 5 stared Chaos Chamber. A ton of Spike traps and arrow traps do wonders. It also helps when you can freeze the hunters in place. lol

Now to 5 Skull The Tower. It seems so easy but when you get to the wave with 5 plus Ogres at once along with Orcs, that can be a major bitch. lol

Blizzard

Banned
SalsaShark said:
D3doverrider still gives me ugly mouse lag :/

is there something im missing when using it or what?
Triple buffering, vsync in D3DOverrider, with vsync turned off ingame, should give you no tearing and a little mouse lag that is still workable.

If you want instantly responsive mices, I'm afraid you may need a different game. It seemed to work fine for me.

PsychoRaven said:
Now to 5 Skull The Tower. It seems so easy but when you get to the wave with 5 plus Ogres at once along with Orcs, that can be a major bitch. lol
Spring traps with the ogre launch upgrade (from a weaver) worked well for me. I got spot 21 on the leaderboards but it still only gave me 4 skulls since I was a bit too slow. :<

Top Bottom