• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! |OT| Traps have never been so fun!

Ceebs said:
The Arena is the devil. Is it even possible to 5 skull this at first?
Oh yes! Blade Traps + tar at the doors (with the occasional fire wall and stun bolt) until you have enough cash to spam archers in the middle and on every flank. A couple of arrow traps and spikes here and there as well.

ElRenoRaven

Ceebs said:

Yup. Did it easily. Arrow traps on every pillar facing center in various directions . Also Arrow traps on the center column area too. Then by the end you can place a couple on the walls back in the overhangs too. They supply a really nice covering fire for each other as all the different traps are going off in all the different directions.

Danne-Danger said:
Spring traps with the ogre launch upgrade (from a weaver) worked well for me. I got spot 21 on the leaderboards but it still only gave me 4 skulls since I was a bit too slow. :<

That's an idea. Didn't think of that.

Finished Rage so I'm off to buy this tonight. This looks like the type of game where I just tell myself "one more level" and it's 2am. I'm going to be tired tomorrow.

Ruprit

CitizenCope said:
Finished Rage so I'm off to buy this tonight. This looks like the type of game where I just tell myself "one more level" and it's 2am. I'm going to be tired tomorrow.

The exact thing happened to me last night. It's great, but it gets hard.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ceebs said:

For me, arrow traps on every pillar in the center & fading the doors + Using Barriers to force them to all meet me in one TINY exit area, which was only 1 grid space wide. So enemies from the furthest door had to walk 2 arrow gauntlets, and enemies from the door closest to me walked only 1, but they were dead by the time door 2's got to me.

Oh, and some archers on top of the center podium, facing the doors.

Using Barricades to confine enemies into small areas where they'll walk out a path before moving is FANTASTIC in this game. You can make enemies walk down trap corridors twice if you really plan it, and using Upgraded floor Spikes, or Tar Traps, to slow them down, really helps control the speed.

Ceebs

Anyone else unable to hear what the talking woman says during the levels? It could just be my awful hearing, but no subtitle option does not help.

iumogg

Neo Member
SAB CA said:
For me, arrow traps on every pillar in the center & fading the doors + Using Barriers to force them to all meet me in one TINY exit area, which was only 1 grid space wide. So enemies from the furthest door had to walk 2 arrow gauntlets, and enemies from the door closest to me walked only 1, but they were dead by the time door 2's got to me.

Oh, and some archers on top of the center podium, facing the doors.

Using Barricades to confine enemies into small areas where they'll walk out a path before moving is FANTASTIC in this game. You can make enemies walk down trap corridors twice if you really plan it, and using Upgraded floor Spikes, or Tar Traps, to slow them down, really helps control the speed.

Eventually the enemies will start to attack and break barricades

Palmer_v1

iumogg said:

I thought they only broke them if you completely blocked them off. I've always left a gap at least 1 barricade wide somewhere for them to get through, and I've never had my barricades get killed by enemies.

iumogg

Neo Member
Palmer_v1 said:
I thought they only broke them if you completely blocked them off. I've always left a gap at least 1 barricade wide somewhere for them to get through, and I've never had my barricades get killed by enemies.

Maybe. I've blocked off one rift so they had to around to another and they broke them.

2th

Banned
Some hilarious fanart tweeted by their Community Manager just a bit ago based off the line "I love danger... and kittens. They're just so cute and funny."
8a22eacc46e32b4456c32346b1aa146f-d4cmvaa.jpg

I have to admit. They did some great writing for the game at times. Some of the lines, even the meme based ones, are pretty damn hilarious.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
iumogg said:

Nope, thats the nice thing. If you build kinda out of their sight, but close enough to block in some kinda time, they'll see it, and turn right around. The only way THOSE kinda barriers get attacked is by you fighting near them.

Knoll Hunters ignore barriers some times though, and charge right through them. Ogres can do this too, but it's less likely.

Overall, you can do some pretty ball-z things with barriers... just know that certain enemey types don't care about such things, and will charge on through!

Ceebs

Noooo! missed the 5 skull on the tower by 8 seconds. Maybe those tar traps behind the pillar where I could not shoot with the ballista were a bad idea.

ElRenoRaven

So yea. Great idea on the tower. Those spring traps took the ogres out perfectly once i went that route with the weavers. Only 1 made it up and I took care of him easy with all my other traps. So that's it down with a 5 skull.

Also helps that I finally noticed the giant logs too that you can shoot to have go crashing down the stairs.

Ceebs

PsychoRaven said:
So yea. Great idea on the tower. Those spring traps took the ogres out perfectly once i went that route with the weavers. Only 1 made it up and I took care of him easy with all my other traps. So that's it down with a 5 skull.

Also helps that I finally noticed the giant logs too that you can shoot to have go crashing down the stairs.
The giant ballista next to the portal at the top will 2 shot the ogres if you want to go that route.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't think there are many things more satisfying then watching a group of orcs painstakingly slog through your traps only to get windbelted back across them all. So sadistic.

AEREC

Loving this game...this is probably one of my favorite Tower Defense hybrids next to MNC. I love Steam Cloud too since it means I can sneak in a game or two at work.

2th

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
I don't even want to press G on this last map. Holy fuckballs!

yeah the finale is brutal. i made the mistake of trying to defend at the first landing on the steps my first few go throughs. so much easier to just funnel them to the top with the mace archers and maybe a paladin . just gotta weaken them as they come up.

2th said:
yeah the finale is brutal. i made the mistake of trying to defend at the first landing on the steps my first few go throughs. so much easier to just funnel them to the top with the mace archers and maybe a paladin . just gotta weaken them as they come up.
I managed with the spell weaver and lots of agility. :p

At the end I was kiting one armored- and one frost ogre a few meters from the rift with 8 lives left, one clutch fireball took them both down. I'm sure there are better ways to solve it!

*Nightmare doesn't fuck around.

2th

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
I managed with the spell weaver and lots of agility. :p

At the end I was kiting one armored- and one frost ogre a few meters from the rift with 8 lives left, one clutch fireball took them both down. I'm sure there are better ways to solve it!

*Nightmare doesn't fuck around.

found using the spiked logs up at the top for the last wave makes it stupidly easy. assuming you can survive up that point.

2th said:
found using the spiked logs up at the top for the last wave makes it stupidly easy. assuming you can survive up that point.
Oh yeah! I remember seeing those at the start but they must've slipped my mind.

Svartnatt

bathala said:
Aside from the combat gameplay

Does it resemble tecmo's deception

Loved the Deception series!

Yes, this game is very similar, though a lot more fast paced. In this game you can actually place traps in real time, as opposed to Deception's setup stage only. Also you are not limited to only 4 types of traps as in Deception.

So if you like Deception, don't mind a bigger emphasis on combat and a lot more frantic pace, give Orcs Must Die! a shot.

Razlo

I am loving Orcs Must Die!, but I just had to post to complain about the subtitle to this OT.

"Traps have never been so fun!" Like many have already pointed out, traps are more fun in the Deception series.

Thank you.

AEREC

alphaNoid said:
This game lights up in Act 2. It was easy all of Act 1 but goddamn it starts to get challenging.

Just got to act 2 and unlocked the weavers which was a nice surprise. I was just wondering if the game was going to have any more depth too.

2th

Banned
AEREC said:
Just got to act 2 and unlocked the weavers which was a nice surprise. I was just wondering if the game was going to have any more depth too.

Steel Weaver... all you need :)

Just beat it on War Mage, definitely a lot of fun. I did feel like a lot of the later traps weren't very useful compared to some of the earlier ones.

ElRenoRaven

Hollywood Duo said:
Just beat it on War Mage, definitely a lot of fun. I did feel like a lot of the later traps weren't very useful compared to some of the earlier ones.

Yea same here. The further I get the more I depend on the arrow, tar, spike traps, etc. The others are nice to have to spice it up though. I've taken a break today and played some of the earlier levels with the new traps and it's interesting how it can change it up.

I have a theory that Push Traps are better than you think if you upgrade them, I haven't done so yet though. The notion of a non-lethal stun sounds very attractive (and it's so cheap!), and since the pusher is pretty shit in general (won't push stuff more than 3 spaces) -- especially compared to the Spring Trap -- they must have SOME hidden use.

I'm thinking one upgraded pusher on each side of a clockwork mace..............

hiverbon

Neo Member
Danne-Danger said:
I have a theory that Push Traps are better than you think if you upgrade them, I haven't done so yet though. The notion of a non-lethal stun sounds very attractive (and it's so cheap!), and since the pusher is pretty shit in general (won't push stuff more than 3 spaces) -- especially compared to the Spring Trap -- they must have SOME hidden use.

I'm thinking one upgraded pusher on each side of a clockwork mace..............

If you build a maze out of barricades/tar traps/burny coal thingies with pushers pushing orcs back through the maze, you can basically sit and watch. The guys that don't get pushed back through your maze just burn to death. Was very useful combined with archers on some of the maps where you're unable to funnel the spawns into 1 chokepoint, meant I could just completely leave one spawn unattended while I fought off the other with weapons/magic.

hiverbon said:
If you build a maze out of barricades/tar traps/burny coal thingies with pushers pushing orcs back through the maze, you can basically sit and watch. The guys that don't get pushed back through your maze just burn to death. Was very useful combined with archers on some of the maps where you're unable to funnel the spawns into 1 chokepoint, meant I could just completely leave one spawn unattended while I fought off the other with weapons/magic.
In most cases though you'd just use a spring trap instead and put an arrow trap on any available wall to keep your streak going... I just tried the stun/mace combo on a few nightmare maps, it works even better than expected. I think you might even get kills for orcs that are launched into the mace when it's stationary, plus they're stunned long enough for the mace to come back down. If you have two rows and a couple of upgraded spike/tar traps you're safe from regular/crossbow orcs, at least. Also, the stun added will give you more combos, I think. I've also come to realize that the arrow trap upgrade isn't that great, it's good for the levels were you can have them shoot down a long corridor (as they'd get to fire sooner), but most of the time the extra range isn't needed. I'd get the pusher upgrade instead.

Ceebs

Danne-Danger said:
In most cases though you'd just use a spring trap instead and put an arrow trap on any available wall to keep your streak going... I just tried the stun/mace combo on a few nightmare maps, it works even better than expected. I think you might even get kills for orcs that are launched into the mace when it's stationary, plus they're stunned long enough for the mace to come back down. If you have two rows and a couple of upgraded spike/tar traps you're safe from regular/crossbow orcs, at least. Also, the stun added will give you more combos, I think. I've also come to realize that the arrow trap upgrade isn't that great, it's good for the levels were you can have them shoot down a long corridor (as they'd get to fire sooner), but most of the time the extra range isn't needed. I'd get the pusher upgrade instead.
Did you upgrade the mace? that seems useful but expensive.

Ceebs said:
Did you upgrade the mace? that seems useful but expensive.
I can't say that I notice the difference, but I believe that the effect is that it'll swing more often. For the maps where you CAN use it, it is a good upgrade. Though you have to consider the fact the 3 crushers can be had at the same price (1500). The mace does A LOT more damage (against ogres and stuff) and isn't affected by the reset times in the same way (since it'll swing continuously), but the crusher will cover a 3-space area independently for the same price and they'll have a stun effect if you have the upgrade.

If you find that you use the mace in the maps where you can use it (and there ARE a lot of maps where you can use it), the the upgrade is worth it, IMO.

Though I think you can get every upgrade if you clear every map (War Mage and Nightmare) with 5 skulls. I haven't done the math, but right now I'm running out of things to spend my skulls on. So really, just spend skulls on the stuff you tend to use, you'll get everything eventually.

Sad that this game doesn't seem to be getting all that much attention but at least it's in the top sellers and judging by the score boards at least ten thousand people bought and are playing the game.

Maybe Sanctum is coloring my view but the only thing Orcs Must Die feels that it's lacking is some kind of cooperative play.

Salsa

ughhh was having no trouble doing 5 skulls on the first try of every level till i reached The Library D: i just cant advance if i dont perfect it, lol.

Fitz

I think The Library was the first level to give me real trouble too, in the end I started putting Paladins at both entrances and went down the Steel Weaver tech tree to get them health regen and a stun. You still have to be alert to help them with Fire Trolls and any Kobolds that get past, but I found that to be really easy using that tactic.

Ceebs

Colkate said:
I think The Library was the first level to give me real trouble too, in the end I started putting Paladins at both entrances and went down the Steel Weaver tech tree to get them health regen and a stun. You still have to be alert to help them with Fire Trolls and any Kobolds that get past, but I found that to be really easy using that tactic.
Mix in some of the fire traps to take care of most Kobolds. They are easily the most annoying enemy along with the tiny flyers.

Ceebs

Colkate said:
Ooh yeah, forgot about those, love to put them next to entrances whenever possible.
If I am using paladins I put them at the entrance and behind the row of paladins. once I get extra money I try to put them right in front of the paladins too so they end up fighting on them.

Valygar

Played the demo, amazed by the fun it is to kill those orcs, bought it!. It's been a while since I bought a game on release, but this game deserves it. I didn't have that much fun with a game for a long time.

Balehead

Played the demo twice, loved it. Bought this on a whim... Doesn't happen too often, hope it doesn't bite. Though I doubt it.

Top Bottom